PDA

View Full Version : Mot insurance and tax

stevewool
26th January 2014, 14:48
Wow dont the months just fly by, its that time of year again, MOT next month and car insurance, March car tax, heres hoping all goes well :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
26th January 2014, 14:51
Mines March too :yikes:
I'm planning to put mine for MoT in Feb..a month early....as I'm still having sensor problems and need to find the right 'timing' :Cuckoo:

stevewool
26th January 2014, 14:53
mine is booked in feb3rd but rums out feb 18th , so like you it gives a little time for the just in case

Terpe
26th January 2014, 14:54
mine is booked in feb3rd but rums out feb 18th , so like you it gives a little time for the just in case

Mine runs out March 16 so earliest I can take is 16 Feb then get 13 months MoT

stevewool
26th January 2014, 16:02
well as long as it can pass and give me another few years i will be happy,

Terpe
26th January 2014, 16:18
well as long as it can pass and give me another few years i will be happy,

Agreed.
That's just how I see it too.
I've looked around for other cars....but decided not to pay that much for an 'unknown' car and to stay with the one I love and trust :icon_lol:
Fuel costs are high but on balance while I can still afford to fill the tank I bear that burden

stevewool
26th January 2014, 16:22
we are made from the same diamond it seems Peter, we think the same,
I have had my insurance quotes and yes its cheaper then last year but when they say what is your car worth well, they recon its only worth £375 :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:, its worth thousands to me

les_taxi
26th January 2014, 16:35
I had the dreaded sensor problem-Abs light on and off,nearly had to but £600 ecu unit but luckily was traced back to faulty wiring (a common fault) cost about £60
You are all lucky as I have to have 2 compliance mot tests a year and my insurance is £1000 :yikes:

Terpe
26th January 2014, 16:41
I had the dreaded sensor problem-Abs light on and off,nearly had to but £600 ecu unit but luckily was traced back to faulty wiring (a common fault) cost about £60
You are all lucky as I have to have 2 compliance mot tests a year and my insurance is £1000 :yikes:

I've changed my rear off-side sensor twice but still it's happening.
I can't continue 'ad infinitum' at £300 a pop.....

Like everything in life .....timing.
Hope I'll be lucky.

I've tried plenty of non-dealerships but it seems there are always issues with diagnostics.
Had the wiring checked but no luck.

lordna
26th January 2014, 17:10
MOT, Insurance and tax and service all used to come up at the same time...end of January. So last January i decided to get 6 months tax, followed by 12 months tax in August. I also put off servicing the car for a few months . Helped no end with the finances!

Just got mine through this years MOT and service BUT 3 days after the service the oil pressure light came on. Turns out they forgot to tighten the drain plug on the bottom of the engine. Fortunately, i noticed it quickly and the garage rectified it equally as quickly.

SimonH
26th January 2014, 18:22
Mines 3 years old a week today :yikes: fortunately they pick it up on Thursday and deliver a new one :biggrin:

Arthur Little
26th January 2014, 18:29
Times like these, I feel I'm a 'lucky fella' NOT being a driver ... no car ... therefore, no road tax, motor insurance or petrol costs and no MOT. :nono-1-1: ... instead - as an :olddude: - I've a bus pass. :wink:

Trefor
26th January 2014, 19:04
My 04 plate E39 530i is due for a service and MOT too. I know it needs several things doing, but it is such a lovely old bus I don't care, no depreciation and I care less about where I park it. I really ought to get something newer but I hate paying depreciation.

Rose's car isn't due until May, which is the same time as my TVR. Luckily the TVR tends to not cost more than I budget for.

stevewool
26th January 2014, 20:23
04 thats rich, mine is a S reg, and i too can park mine anywhere, it takes me everywhere so far, so i shall keep it till it cant take me

Slip
26th January 2014, 20:28
Mot this Friday... My car is old and I only really use it locally so have never bothered in getting a newer car.... Every year I think it will fail the mot, and every year it passes.... I've had the car 9 years now and want a new one, but I will run it until it fails an mot and cost to much to fix

Insurance in March, Tax used to be March too, but got a yearly one instead of 6 months last October as the first few months of the year were always hard going!

bigmac
26th January 2014, 21:02
ive got a bus pass--had it nearly 6 years--and i use it more than i drive. i had 2 cars till a week ago--but sold my MGF as i'm losing the storage space--it was SORN

so i'm left with my MG ZS 180--but i may well look out for an old classic--much simpler mechanics--tax exempt--a bit like me.

Michael Parnham
26th January 2014, 23:15
My car's tax exempt also! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

bigmarco
28th January 2014, 14:08
Just failed the MOT this morning. Waiting for the grease monkeys to phone and let me know it's ready and passed at a no doubt high price :cwm23:

Dedworth
28th January 2014, 14:39
Today's money saving tip

re-register your motors somewhere behind the former Iron Curtain you can then drive about to your heart's content and not bother with tax discs, mot's or insurance