PDA

View Full Version : Question - Hudl to TV HDMI connection

Terpe
26th January 2014, 16:28
My wife bought a Tesco Hudl and has been using it to watch Philippine shows on YouTube on our TV using the HDMI connection.

Seems that every 5 minutes or so there's a disconnection for just a second while to TV is looking for a signal. This 'disconnection' is not happening on the Hudl display screen.

I'm guessing that it must be something with the TV???? but no idea.
We've played around with different HDMI settings on the Hudle but no luck there.

Anyone have an idea on the cause?
and hopefully the solution?

Dedworth
26th January 2014, 17:48
Same with my wifes Terpe except this split second "TV blackout" occurs whilst watching downloaded BBC IPlayer stuff, the video remains playing on the HUDL. I'll try it with streaming now - just the same I wondered if it was my £1.99 eBay sourced cable but obviously not.

KeithD
26th January 2014, 19:25
I imagine it is just a buffering issue between the two devices rather than an actual problem. It is probably best to stop everything running on the HUDL before feeding to the TV, as the only thing the HUDL should be doing is sending the data to the TV.

Dedworth
26th January 2014, 20:18
I imagine it is just a buffering issue between the two devices rather than an actual problem. It is probably best to stop everything running on the HUDL before feeding to the TV, as the only thing the HUDL should be doing is sending the data to the TV.

Thanks tried that still the same - lasted 1 min on iPlayer download playback before the stutter then again after another 30 secs. Same thing happens if playing a video from the micro SD.

However..............I dropped the HDMI resolution down to 720 x 576 and no more stutters, picture is still decent quality I might tweak it back up a bit

Terpe
26th January 2014, 20:20

The only thing she has running (I think) is YouTube.
How can we :-

1. know what else is running on Hudle?
2. shut down whatever is running except YouTube?

Or does she does have to put with it ?
It's just so annoying.

Maybe should have bitten the bullet and bought Apple TV and used the iPad :doh

KeithD
26th January 2014, 20:49
You can get a free Task Killer app :smile:

As Dedworth has pointed out, it is a data feed speed issue. The HUDL is not pushing the full HD data quick enough, so the resolution needs to be turned down.

Terpe
26th January 2014, 20:55
You can get a free Task Killer app :smile:

As Dedworth has pointed out, it is a data feed speed issue. The HUDL is not pushing the full HD data quick enough, so the resolution needs to be turned down.

I'll have a look at Task Killer app
I already set up the Hudle for the lowest resolution. Don't get blackouts just a 'stutter' and a message saying 'No Signal' then within just a blink it's back again.

Thanks for taking time to reply Keith and Dedworth really appreciate.

raynaputi
26th January 2014, 20:56
Have a read through here.. http://hudlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=369&p=1508

Dedworth
26th January 2014, 21:00
Thanks Rayna :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
26th January 2014, 21:39
Have a read through here.. http://hudlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=369&p=1508

Ah, thanks very much for that link Rayna..............very interesting......looks like a software update will come pretty soon. I hope.
The next gen Hudl's are on the way I believe anyway.

Dedworth
26th January 2014, 21:53
Terpe - 720 x 576 res seems to be the one just watched 15 mins of a streamed I player vid with no probs. Moved it up by one level and it did the momentary blackout. I just spent the £20 gift card Tesco gave me (refund for sloppy service when online ordering the HUDL) on diesel :biggrin:

Terpe
26th January 2014, 22:48
Terpe - 720 x 576 res seems to be the one just watched 15 mins of a streamed I player vid with no probs. Moved it up by one level and it did the momentary blackout. I just spent the £20 gift card Tesco gave me (refund for sloppy service when online ordering the HUDL) on diesel :biggrin:

We've already got it set to that resolution Dedworth.

Do me a favour please and try streaming from YouTube and see what happens
Just try a song clip and see.

Dedworth
26th January 2014, 23:57
We've already got it set to that resolution Dedworth.

Do me a favour please and try streaming from YouTube and see what happens
Just try a song clip and see.

Did 3 mins or so YouTube Chelsea v Stoke todays game came though with no blackouts

Terpe
27th January 2014, 00:54
Did 3 mins or so YouTube Chelsea v Stoke todays game came though with no blackouts

Thanks Dedworth. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ours still stutters every 5-10 minutes
Hopefully a software issue.

Did you yet update the OS?

When I get some time I'll go back to the store and complain and see what transpires.

Used nearly all my vouchers on that .....saved for a few years too.

Thanks for the help :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
29th January 2014, 12:25
Thanks Dedworth. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ours still stutters every 5-10 minutes
Hopefully a software issue.

Did you yet update the OS?

When I get some time I'll go back to the store and complain and see what transpires.

Used nearly all my vouchers on that .....saved for a few years too.

Thanks for the help :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Haven't rec'd a software update from them yet looking on that forum it seems like there might be a few rogue machines about so it could be worthwhile demanding a replacement. Just an aside if you haven't downloaded Tunein radio app do it - I use it all the time on my phone and my wifes now happy listening to MOR 93.9 from Legaspi

raynaputi
29th January 2014, 15:45
Haven't rec'd a software update from them yet looking on that forum it seems like there might be a few rogue machines about so it could be worthwhile demanding a replacement. Just an aside if you haven't downloaded Tunein radio app do it - I use it all the time on my phone and my wifes now happy listening to MOR 93.9 from Legaspi

Best app I ever downloaded! :xxgrinning--00xx3: I can listen to Philippine FM radio too. Also, we sometimes can't get the signal for 5live Extra in the car while driving, and TuneIn is the best solution..haha :biggrin:

Dedworth
29th January 2014, 17:00
I agree Rayna. I've got the Pro Version of TuneIn Radio on my phone (got it free on App of the Day Amazon once) best additional bit about it is a record feature. Sad but I listen to a few Australian phone in's :biggrin:

Terpe
1st February 2014, 17:44
Latest update...... I just zoomed off to Tesco and got a refund. I wasn't prepared to accept the poor performance for HDMI streaming, and I wasn't prepared to only have the very low resolution to stream.
No problems getting a refund. At least a well done on that Tesco.

Then off to Currys PC world to get an Apple TV....... easy set-up and top quality programmes to access.
Streaming from iPad to TV now automatic in HD with no issues. All wireless or by remote control.

Just exactly what the wife wanted.