PDA

View Full Version : Computer Won't Start !

grahamw48
5th February 2014, 09:01
Boohoo...got back yesterday morning, want to post some pics and videos, but can't get my (old) desktop pc to boot ! :Brick:

Power on, all LEDs are flickering...including CD, which I can't open to try a boot CD, and mouse light too.

Casing and processor fans are working. Monitor shows 'no signal'.

No beeps.

Faulty PSU ?

It had been playing up previously when trying to boot, but I just left it on all the time.

I have reseated the ram modules and taken out and reinserted the battery, plus checked all connectors.

les_taxi
5th February 2014, 10:07
Faulty mb more likely

KeithD
5th February 2014, 10:11
Your hard drive would be fine to stick in another PC, but it does sound like a hardware failure somewhere.

Unplug everything from the m/b, clean the connectors, and put them back.

You can get connectors to access the PC's HD on your laptop, so data should be OK.

cheekee
5th February 2014, 10:51
I would say possibly the processor is faulty as no beeps.

But I did have a faulty hard disk that caused the same problem on an old pc once. Hope its not that.

Michael Parnham
5th February 2014, 11:01
Pleased you arrived home safely, hope you get your PC fixed because we are looking forward to your photo's! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
5th February 2014, 12:05
Can't advise on your computer problem, Graham :nono-1-1: ... but :welcomex: home! I hope you and Mercedes had a lovely time together. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
5th February 2014, 13:13
I have had 2 mb die on me and it was always a no beep problem
If your mb was Ok and you had a fault with ram etc it would beep

joebloggs
5th February 2014, 14:13
unplug everything, and just connect the psu to motherboard any beeps then ?

Dedworth
5th February 2014, 14:17
It's given you good service Graham but now's probably the time to put it out of it's misery

http://groomsadvice.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/slugger-bats.jpg

imagine
5th February 2014, 14:35
It's given you good service Graham but now's probably the time to put it out of it's misery

I agree. End its suffering:icon_lol:

Arthur Little
5th February 2014, 14:56

:cwm24: ... thought "euthanasia" was still illegal in this country!

Arthur Little
5th February 2014, 15:11
I agree. End its suffering :icon_lol:

If it were a human being, :cwm25: 'DIGNITAS' might be interested ... :omg:!

But, since it's an elderly computer ... :anerikke: ... *it may be destined for the "knacker's yard" *:CompBuster:, I guess. :bigcry:

grahamw48
5th February 2014, 19:45
I'm not giving up yet ! Been out and bought a new modular Corsair PSU...still to fit, as I've also been fixing the freewheel on my son's bike, in between jet lag napping.

Also managed to buy a fully functioning desktop pc for 10 quid. lol. :biggrin:

I had a fantastic holiday with my lady, but will post a proper report with pics and vids when I'm not having to use this tablet...and half asleep. :smile:

Michael Parnham
6th February 2014, 13:51
The freewheel on the bike could be the reason your computer not working! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
6th February 2014, 21:02
Have you put 50p in the meter? :biggrin:

grahamw48
6th February 2014, 22:48
PSU was the wrong one, dammit. :doh

Been busy getting this cheapo desktop working properly...so far so good, and can't go wrong for a tenner. lol

View out of one of our hotel's restaurant... :smile:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/grahamw48/2014Phils028_zpsdcd27a4c.jpg~original

Michael Parnham
6th February 2014, 22:57
Very nice Graham, good start! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
7th February 2014, 13:30
Have you put 50p in the meter? :biggrin:

cut pieces of lino used to work in the communal gas meter in my long time ago bed sit :biggrin:

grahamw48
7th February 2014, 16:30
cut pieces of lino used to work in the communal gas meter in my long time ago bed sit :biggrin:

My mate got home to his bedsit drunk one night, and in a temper booted his gas meter. Never had to put any more money in it after that...just free gas. lol :icon_lol:

grahamw48
7th February 2014, 16:33
She's fixed !

I just put a new (with more than twice the power) power supply unit in it. Like having an old friend/enemy back. :biggrin:

Also, I bought another PC from gumtree the other day...cost £10, plus a fiver for him bringing it to my house.

Well I've got that one running like a guddun too. hahaha. :icon_lol:

lordna
7th February 2014, 18:21
These computer things will never replace gas!

Terpe
7th February 2014, 21:20
...View out of one of our hotel's restaurant... :smile:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/grahamw48/2014Phils028_zpsdcd27a4c.jpg~original

That's what I call a perfect view from a hotel window......:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Glad to learn you had a great trip Graham
Welcome back......though I'm sure you'd rather not be

grahamw48
8th February 2014, 00:18
Thanks Peter. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

We stayed in quite a few different hotels, but agreed, that one probably had the best view. :smile:

Already planning my next trip. :biggrin:

KeithD
8th February 2014, 10:45
My computer runs on gas :Erm: