PDA

View Full Version : Expired TOEIC ETS(Hopkins Philippines) acceptable or not?

aprilmaejon
11th February 2014, 19:22
Hi,

I am sending this query in behalf of a friend of mine.

She applied for her ILR just before October last year and it was granted. Now she's telling me about her naturalisation that she needs to take another English exam equivalent to B1 as her TOEIC exam is already expired and not acceptable in the UK (according to someone from oxford council when she had it checked there). I already told here that TOEIC ETS (Hopkins Philippines) is acceptable according to UKBA website on the list of acceptable English exams. I also told her that expired English exam is acceptable as long as it is equivalent/above B1 level. She wouldn't believe as when they enquired from the UKBA, they been informed that she really needs to take another exam.

Recently it was in the news that ETS in the UK has been suspended for fraud. Question now is, will her TOEIC ETS certificate be accepted when she applies for her naturalisation this year?

Terpe
11th February 2014, 20:10
It's very odd that UKBA have given your friend that information. I'm guessing that perhaps your friend spoke with a call centre agent who probably didn't know the correct answer.

I can only share with you what UKBA formally state.

The fact that an applicant’s qualifying English language certificate had expired would not prevent them from using their pass notification as evidence that they had reached level B1 (CEFR) English for a settlement or British citizenship application. They would not be expected to take another English Language test, but will need to pass the Life in the UK test.

If your qualification is on the list of acceptable qualifications published on our website you will not need to retake an English test. The expiry dates for those tests do not apply to settlement and citizenship applications. You should send your certificate with the application.

I doubt your friend will be 100% convinced by any advice you share with her. So perhaps the best strategy is to show her this post and suggest that she write formally to UKBA for confirmation. It's only by doing that can she feel secure that at least the English Language requirement is covered.

I believe people should always make additional action to confirm such important information.

Hope this will help

thelondonstudy
14th February 2014, 00:36
TOEIC & TOEFL suspended until further investigation goes on. UKBA sending letters to all students and applicants by saying to provide them a new english test or there application will be held until they finalise their investigation. You can see more details here TOEIC and TOEFL suspended by UKBA. (http://www.thelondonstudy.com/toefl-toeic-test-suspended-for-uk-visa.html)

I hope this will help you.