PDA

View Full Version : Marriage in the Philippines - New CNI - March 2014

Terpe
28th February 2014, 10:43
From 1st March 2014, the Consular Section will issue a new-style affirmation or an affidavit to marry. Local authorities have confirmed that they will accept this document. This replaces the old-style Certificate of No Impediment (CNI).

Here's the publication in PDF format called MARRIAGE IN THE PHILIPPINES (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/284905/Marriage_in_the_Philippines_leaflet_affirmation_or_affidavit_of_marital_status_Feb_2014.pdf) - (Explanatory Notice to British Nationals Contemplating Marriage in the Philippines)

Don't forget you'll still need to book an appointment at the British Embassy

Terpe
28th February 2014, 10:45
Booking an appointment for a notarial act or certificate

1.Visit the British Embassy Manila online appointment system (https://britishembassymanila.clickbook.net/sub/britishembassymanila)
2.Select the service you require.
3.Select the date from the calendar (available days are shaded in green) or click on “next available” and then select a time.
4.To register as a new user, enter your details (name, e-mail address and telephone number) on “New Customer Registration Form.” You only need to register once. For future appointments, use “Customer sign-in” and enter your email address, and the password you used when registering for the first time.
5.Once your appointment has been booked, a confirmation email will be sent to your e-mail address with an event calendar attachment to save the date on your outlook calendar or on your mobile phone (the latter will apply if you open the booking confirmation email on your mobile).
6.Should you need to cancel your appointment, you can sign in and follow the link “cancel appointment.”

RickyR
28th February 2014, 10:59
Well that certainly looks like it makes life easier. I had a lot of hassle with the CNI process (namely getting a CNI when not present in the UK).

Jentobeharrison
1st March 2014, 02:39
Do they still need to wait ten days after they submit the affirmation and affidavit? Or they will just get that requirement same day?

Slip
1st March 2014, 12:25
So do I need to not go for my CNI appointment here in UK on 4th March to obtain my CNI.... Sounds like I am paying for something I no longer need.

I just print off that new one and fill it in?

Terpe
1st March 2014, 16:39
Do they still need to wait ten days after they submit the affirmation and affidavit? Or they will just get that requirement same day?

What 10 days waiting period are you thinking of?

The only 10 day waiting period I'm aware of is between application of marriage licence and issue of licence.

The CNI is immediately valid and remains so for 3 months.

Terpe
1st March 2014, 16:42
So do I need to not go for my CNI appointment here in UK on 4th March to obtain my CNI.... Sounds like I am paying for something I no longer need.

I just print off that new one and fill it in?

I seriously suggest you contact the Embassy about that asap just to be sure..............
All the UKVI (was UKBA) webpages are now very 'minimal' and don't give too much info

Would appreciate your feedback on the Embassy response...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Taking the Embassy announcement at face value you don't need the UK CNI......

Slip
1st March 2014, 17:17
I seriously suggest you contact the Embassy about that asap just to be sure..............
All the UKVI (was UKBA) webpages are now very 'minimal' and don't give too much info

Would appreciate your feedback on the Embassy response...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Taking the Embassy announcement at face value you don't need the UK CNI......

I have contacted the British Embassy in Manila to ask... Told them I have an appointment with them on 8th May to exchange my CNI which I am due to get from UK on Tuesday. Asked them if I need to get the CNI or just fill out the new form and turn up with that?
In the meantime I shall go ahead with my appointment unless I hear different..... The CNI is probably the most important document I need to get married, so not going to not get it unless it is official.... I may still get it as it is only £35 and I can afford to lose that rather than a lot more should I not get it and it is indeed required.

Terpe
1st March 2014, 19:18
I'd agree....stick with your original plan then both sides are covered. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Please do let us know the Embassy position

Jentobeharrison
3rd March 2014, 11:49
What 10 days waiting period are you thinking of?

The only 10 day waiting period I'm aware of is between application of marriage licence and issue of licence.

The CNI is immediately valid and remains so for 3 months.

I've read somewhere that if a British man will get his CNI from UK, he has to wait for ten days whilst he is in UK then he can bring it here,submit to British embassy, wait for ten days then it will be released, then apply for marriage license, then 15 days again. That's why my fiancé and I thought that he needs to stay here for 25 days just to get married here, and we just decided to have our wedding in UK because it's impossible for him to stay here that long

Terpe
3rd March 2014, 18:04
I've read somewhere that if a British man will get his CNI from UK, he has to wait for ten days whilst he is in UK then he can bring it here,submit to British embassy, wait for ten days then it will be released, then apply for marriage license, then 15 days again. That's why my fiancé and I thought that he needs to stay here for 25 days just to get married here, and we just decided to have our wedding in UK because it's impossible for him to stay here that long

Not correct Jen.
To secure a UK CNI from the registry office you have to give Notice of Marriage .
This notice will be posted for public viewing and provided nobody has raised any objection the CNI (Certificate of No Impediment) is then issued 21 clear calendar days after the notice was first posted.

There's no 10 day waiting for the Embassy to issue the local version.......it's provided there and then at the Embassy appointment. It's immediately valid and can be used to apply marriage licence.
The waiting time for Marriage Licence is 10 days.

Watch this thread for the Embassy response to Slip as to whether or not a UK issued CNI remains a mandatory requirement or just the oath/affirmation.

normally takes 21 days.
This is notice of marriage and is called the marriage bans

Slip
3rd March 2014, 19:06
Not had a reply to my email yet... So looks like I will go ahead with my CNI appointment here tomorrow.

Terpe
3rd March 2014, 19:52
Not had a reply to my email yet... So looks like I will go ahead with my CNI appointment here tomorrow.

That's what I'd do too

Slip
4th March 2014, 15:57
No reply still from the British embassy in Manila.

However whilst at my appoinment today for the CNI at my local registry office I asked the lady about them doing away with the CNI here and having to print off a new form from the internet...

She was totally confused and it was the first she had heard of it.. She was the deputy registrar as well and it is her job to fill out all CNI requests here. She commented it was highly unlikely as the CNI cost £35 to obtain which makes them money, so why would they now provide this for free?
However when I asked if it was anything like my job where you only find out about new things from the top bosses the first day they are meant to be done then panic as you don't know how to do it! she did say "possibly!"

I did look on the UKBA website and the page about marrying in Philippines hasn't been updated since 26th Feb, and still says you need a CNI, so until they update it again I dont think anyone truly knows if the CNI is still required or not!

Terpe
4th March 2014, 16:27
......I did look on the UKBA website and the page about marrying in Philippines hasn't been updated since 26th Feb, and still says you need a CNI, so until they update it again I dont think anyone truly knows if the CNI is still required or not!

Yes, it's very odd....let's hope the Embassy respond quickly so that everyone can understand what's going on. :doh

Slip
7th March 2014, 07:08
Got a reply this morning.

Dear Customer

Thank you for booking your appointment online.

Please be advised that effective 1st March we have updated the guidance for getting married in the Philippines. We will no longer issue the Certificate of No Impediment or apply for the Notice of Marriage. What you need to apply is the Affidavit or Affirmation to marry. We have updated the online appointment booking to indicate the Consular service affidavit or affirmation to marry.

The Affidavit or Affirmation to marry is the document that you need to submit for your Marriage Licence. This is now the requirement of the local civil registrar office.

Kindly bring the original supporting documents and photocopies of each to the British Embassy Manila.

Kindly find the attached guidance and form that you need to complete before coming to the embassy. Or visit the website,

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/marriage-in-the-philippines

Terpe
7th March 2014, 10:58
Got a reply this morning....

Isn't it frustrating that these folks just can't give a simple answer............:Erm:

Slip, did you ask them specifically if a UK CNI should be obtained beforehand?

I'm guessing that for marriages in the Philippines the UK issued CNI is now no longer needed.

Slip
7th March 2014, 13:10
Isn't it frustrating that these folks just can't give a simple answer............:Erm:

Slip, did you ask them specifically if a UK CNI should be obtained beforehand?

I'm guessing that for marriages in the Philippines the UK issued CNI is now no longer needed.

I did ask if I still needed the UK CNI.

However I don't think todays email was in response to my email. Todays email was because I have an appoinment booked already.

Terpe
7th March 2014, 14:29
I did ask if I still needed the UK CNI.

However I don't think todays email was in response to my email. Todays email was because I have an appoinment booked already.

As a 'belt-and-braces' strategy I zipped off an e-mail to the Manila Embassy today.
You could be right slip, it might just be an e-mail for your appointment giving the latest procedures to expect etc.

In my e-mail I highlighted that despite their announcement the Gov.UK webpage on that subject still indicates a UK CNI is needed for marriages in Philippines and asking them to clearly state the correct requirements and specifically the need for UK CNI

Just have to keep plugging away sometimes to get to the bottom of things.
Even FOI requests often get 'lost in translation' :biggrin:

How are your preparations going? all OK I hope?

Terpe
7th March 2014, 15:30
Hahaha, received an automated response:-

"Thank you for your e-mail addressed to the Policy, Projects and Communications section.

The British Embassy is closed on Friday, 31 January (A special non-working holiday in the Philippines)

Our public hours is from Monday – Friday, 8:00 – 16:45

We will answer your enquiry within seven (7) working days (exluding weekends and public holidays)"

No idea why I'd be interested to know the Embassy was closed on Friday, 31 January though :doh

Slip
7th March 2014, 20:07
:

How are your preparations going? all OK I hope?

All going well so far, apart from this lol. I can pick my UK CNI up from 26th March and I am all ready then this end.... shame I am not going until first week in May.
Harlene finishes her job in Singapore end of next week and flies back to Philippines she will spend the six weeks prior to my arrival making sure her English test/TB test etc etc is done and dusted... Also she is the one planning the wedding her end, so that will be done as well, she will be busy... I will just keep working and earning money to pay for it lol... But to be fair she is spending a fair bit too, it's not all me :icon_lol:

Terpe
7th March 2014, 20:39
... I will just keep working and earning money to pay for it lol... But to be fair she is spending a fair bit too, it's not all me :icon_lol:

Same old same old Slip :icon_lol::icon_lol:
It's going to be memorable time for all.......once in a lifetime experience

Ann1984
10th March 2014, 15:16
Thank you for the post Terpe and slip. Very useful information..

Do you think Terpe, my partner not need to get a CNI in UK?

Thanks in advance for the response.

Ann1984
10th March 2014, 15:48
What's going on now??

We don't know what Steve will comply in The local registrar in Uk. We don't know what we will submit in the future to the British embassy Manila to obtain the affidavit to marry.

Please help me to enlighten our minds. We are now so confused.

Slip
10th March 2014, 16:13
I wouldn't want to give you wrong advice Ann, but my understanding from what I have been told is you DO NOT need a CNI from UK anymore. Just fill out the new forms in the link previous on this thread.

However until I do just this on May 8th I really wouldn't want to advise you against obtaining the UK version of the CNI

Terpe
10th March 2014, 20:45
What's going on now??

We don't know what Steve will comply in The local registrar in Uk. We don't know what we will submit in the future to the British embassy Manila to obtain the affidavit to marry.

Please help me to enlighten our minds. We are now so confused.

Both Slip and me have contacted the Embassy to get formal written clarification as it's really not that clear
Personally, until it's 100% clear, I would simply continue to secure a UK issued CNI.

If you have one and it's not needed you'll still get the legal required documents for Philippine authorities.
If you don't have one and it's needed you'll not get married

Ann1984
11th March 2014, 01:25
Ok, thank you a lot Slip and Terpe. Anyway I will wait on their response, just keep posted please, we will have plenty of times to obtain this coz our wedding plan will be on 1st week of December.

I'm going crazy! Lol. :wink:

Slip
11th March 2014, 02:04
Ok, thank you a lot Slip and Terpe. Anyway I will wait on their response, just keep posted please, we will have plenty of times to obtain this coz our wedding plan will be on 1st week of December.

I'm going crazy! Lol. :wink:

I will most definitely let you know via this thread what happens when I go in May.

You have plenty of time and I am pretty certain we will know for sure by the time your wedding comes around :-)

Terpe
13th March 2014, 10:38
Well, after much 'to-ing and fro-ing', I have at last received a clear reply from the British Embassy about the UK CNI:-

Dear Mr *****

Thank you for your e-mail.

Our apologies for the confusion as it took some time before the GOV.UK website was amended to reflect the new changes. This is to confirm that from 3rd March 2014, the Consular Section will issue a new-style affirmation or an affidavit to marry. Local authorities have confirmed that they will accept this document. This replaces the old-style Certificate of No Impediment (CNI). This means that you no longer need to secure a UK-issued CNI prior to your entry to the Philippines. Please refer to this link for the complete list of requirements and procedures: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/marriage-in-the-philippines.

When you are ready to submit your application, please book through our the British Embassy Manila online appointment system: http://britishembassymanila.clickbook.net/.

Sincerely yours

Consular section | British Embassy Manila | 120 Upper McKinley Road, McKinley Hill, Taguig City 1634
( telephone +63 2 858 2200 ( fax +63 2 858 2342 : British Embassy Manila website

Read the latest blogs / Join us on Facebook / Follow us on Twitter
Living in the Philippines? Our travel advice isn’t just for visitors! Read latest info and subscribe to email updates

Just to emphasise the key sentence from the British Embassy

....This means that you no longer need to secure a UK-issued CNI prior to your entry to the Philippines...

Slip
13th March 2014, 10:44
At last!

They have changed this page too now.

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad/y/philippines/uk/uk_england/partner_local/opposite_sex

Wished it had been done a couple of weeks ago, would have saved me £35 seeing my appointment was 4th March, the day after the changes. didn't help the deputy registrar didn't even know about the change! Wonder if they will mention the changes when I pick the CNI up after 26th March?

Terpe
13th March 2014, 11:00
At last!

They have changed this page too now.

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad/y/philippines/uk/uk_england/partner_local/opposite_sex..

Yes.....I told them to get their act together as their announcement was clearly not following the GOV.UK webpage for Philippines :icon_lol::icon_lol:
At least they apologised........something not so common with the Embassy :wink:

Ann1984
14th March 2014, 11:57
Hi Terpe,
Thanks a lot for your help and effort, you are always here our HERO, in times of advices and problems you are always there to help. So kind of you! And Me & Steve feel relieve to read these. Thank you a lot!

Jentobeharrison
15th March 2014, 08:28
Aww. Marrying here would be a lot easier, if we knew that this will happen, we would really like to marry here.

gWaPito
15th March 2014, 13:20
If you're both equally committed you can make it happen.

Jentobeharrison
15th March 2014, 14:47
If you're both equally committed you can make it happen.

What? Marrying here? After we are almost complete with my fiancee visa documents? Start again for another plan? It is not that easy, maybe for you it is ( if you are rich and with lots of patience)

Our resources are limited, Our sanity is in border now because of everything we have gone through, but I know that what we've been through are nothing compare to what you've been, I guess? But every couple is different. I would really love what you said but I have to wake up that my boyfriend is sacrificing every day in UK just to prepare for this and then what? Change our plans and prioritise my dream to get married here? That's selfishness. I am not the only one here in our relationship, although I know he wants to get married here (Ive been telling you this for 10000000th time) we couldn't.

I wish life and decisions are easy as how you can say that, it's what I have been wishing for, and I guess any one else.

gWaPito
15th March 2014, 17:43
Nice post Jen.
I can't reply accordingly at the moment... .I'm sacrificing doing another weekend at work. ..joke ok. Keep it up. ....I enjoy reading your posts.

gWaPito
15th March 2014, 19:29
What? Marrying here? After we are almost complete with my fiancee visa documents? Start again for another plan? It is not that easy, maybe for you it is ( if you are rich and with lots of patience)

Our resources are limited, Our sanity is in border now because of everything we have gone through, but I know that what we've been through are nothing compare to what you've been, I guess? But every couple is different. I would really love what you said but I have to wake up that my boyfriend is sacrificing every day in UK just to prepare for this and then what? Change our plans and prioritise my dream to get married here? That's selfishness. I am not the only one here in our relationship, although I know he wants to get married here (Ive been telling you this for 10000000th time) we couldn't.

I wish life and decisions are easy as how you can say that, it's what I have been wishing for, and I guess any one else.

The only cost I can see you've lost is the visiting marriage visa.

The papers you're gathered for your fiancee visa would be used for the spouse visa. The questions are basically the same with the addition of the marriage info.

I've married a Filipina both in the UK and in The Philippines. ....I can tell you, the Philippine marriage ceremony and the day was on the whole lightyears better than our British affair. ..why. ..bc her whole family were able to attend. It is after all the bride's day. You are far from being selfish :NoNo:

Expense wise, all I can see is the cost of a single return flight.

Just a thought okay. ..we only get married once :Rasp:

bigmac
15th March 2014, 23:09
Just a thought okay. ..we only get married once

err--well--umm--3 times in my case....so far.

gWaPito
15th March 2014, 23:19
Just a thought okay. ..we only get married once

err--well--umm--3 times in my case....so far.
My next will be number 4 :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I get greater joy giving to loved ones than spending on myself. That's the truth. Am I crazy or what.

You only live once. :biggrin:

Good to see you back. ..I thought we lost you after all that negative nonsense. You didn't sound very happy. Don't let it get to you.

bigmac
16th March 2014, 12:35
Good to see you back. ..I thought we lost you after all that negative nonsense. You didn't sound very happy. Don't let it get to you.[/QUOTE]

ha ha--right. it will take a lot more than some anonymous moaner to keep me off here--i visit everyday--but dont always post.

bigmac
16th March 2014, 12:37
Also--all being will things for us will start to gather pace in the next few months. I will then need all the help and advice I can get: and--where better than here ?

Slip
21st March 2014, 20:52
Has anyone any idea of a programme I can download the new forms to so I can edit and type in the details they ask? It says they want it typed, not hand written.

lilbasuk
28th May 2014, 10:54
So I don't need to go to the Local Registrar for ANY reason? I'm planning to get married in August. Just download the Affirmation and affidavit, and fill it in?

Terpe
28th May 2014, 12:03
So I don't need to go to the local registrar for ANY reason? I'm planning to get married in August. Just download the Affirmation and affidavit, and fill it in?

Hi Lilbasuk,

No, it's no longer necessary to get any CNI from UK registrar.
Just present the Affidavit/Affirmation at the Embassy during your pre-booked appointment.

Please be sure to review the Embassy info here at

Marriage in The Philippines (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/279046/CNI_notice.pdf)

Please take care to understand exactly what's required and the documentation needed.

For example:-

..You must prepare a type-written affirmation or affidavit of marital status, following the template on the next
page, before you attend the Consular Section. British applicants are required to personally appear at the
embassy. Documents must follow this template – Font size 12, Times New Roman, 1.5cm margin all around.

and:-

..You should bring supporting documents relating to the facts indicated on your affirmation/affidavit. Please refer to the list below for possible documents.

and:-

...You must set an appointment with the Consular Section via the British Embassy Manila online appointment system – www.britishembassymanila.clickbook.net

I recall I already informed you of the documents needed to apply for a Marriage Licence :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lilbasuk
28th May 2014, 14:50
Cheers mate, that's put my mind at rest. :xxgrinning--00xx3: Just one more thing, I booked my appointment at the British Embassy a few months ago now with the new rules and documentation that have been put in place. I'm assuming I wouldn't need to cancel it and rebook? Cheers for your help, I think I understand everything and won't be a pain in the :action-smiley-081: anymore! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

sars_notd_virus
28th May 2014, 17:46
Just seen this thread and have deleted my reply on Libasuk's other thread about marrying in the Philippines. :smile::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
28th May 2014, 20:05
Cheers mate, that's put my mind at rest. :xxgrinning--00xx3: Just one more thing, I booked my appointment at the British Embassy a few months ago now with the new rules and documentation that have been put in place. I'm assuming I wouldn't need to cancel it and rebook? Cheers for your help, I think I understand everything and won't be a pain in the :action-smiley-081: anymore! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

No need to cancel.
How long do you plan to be in Philippines to get married ?

lilbasuk, nobody here is a pain :NoNo: please don't be shy to seek advice on anything.
Doesn't matter how many times of asking.......we all need help, advice and guidance to meet the trials, challenges and 'curved-ball's of life. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:icon_lol:

We're lucky to have a such a broad spectrum of experience and ideas here with every member.

aprilmaejon
28th May 2014, 23:35
The only cost I can see you've lost is the visiting marriage visa.

The papers you're gathered for your fiancee visa would be used for the spouse visa. The questions are basically the same with the addition of the marriage info.

I've married a Filipina both in the UK and in The Philippines. ....I can tell you, the Philippine marriage ceremony and the day was on the whole lightyears better than our British affair. ..why. ..bc her whole family were able to attend. It is after all the bride's day. You are far from being selfish :NoNo:

Expense wise, all I can see is the cost of a single return flight.

Just a thought okay. ..we only get married once :Rasp:

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

I agree with you gwapito. I was on fiancé visa too but If I have to go back from the start.... I would choose the spousal visa path.

lilbasuk
29th May 2014, 09:06
No need to cancel.
How long do you plan to be in Philippines to get married ?

lilbasuk, nobody here is a pain :NoNo: please don't be shy to seek advice on anything.
Doesn't matter how many times of asking.......we all need help, advice and guidance to meet the trials, challenges and 'curved-ball's of life. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:icon_lol:

We're lucky to have a such a broad spectrum of experience and ideas here with every member.
Cheers mate,

im in the philippines for about 3 and a half weeks, so as soon as i get to gensan we are gonna apply for the marriage licence provided everything goes smoothly at the embassy :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lilbasuk
1st June 2014, 19:51
Just one more question lol It's about my cenomar. Is it correct that I don't need this for the Embassy? Just need it locally when applying for our marriage licence? And when should I order it to my gf's house? I'm travelling on July 26th.

https://www.ecensus.com.ph/Default.aspx

Terpe
2nd June 2014, 17:56
Just one more question lol It's about my cenomar. Is it correct that I don't need this for the Embassy? Just need it locally when applying for our marriage licence? And when should I order it to my gf's house? I'm travelling on July 26th.

https://www.ecensus.com.ph/Default.aspx

Just to clarify, there's no specific legal requirement to secure CENOMAR.....however, for many reasons those authorities who issue Marriage Licence May ask for a CENOMAR of the foreign spouse-to-be.
To minimise all risks I'd advise to get one. It's low cost and good service online.
Just belt-and-braces to avoid potential delays.
Maybe your Fiancee can ask at the place where you'll apply for the marriage licence if they'll be requesting it ?
The Embassy won't ask to see it.

Getting close to saying 'I Do' :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lilbasuk
2nd June 2014, 19:10
Cheers for the help again mate. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Slip
5th June 2014, 11:56
Can I just add that tbey DID ask for my cenomar, so I'd advise getting one

Terpe
5th June 2014, 17:11

Hi Slip, just to clarify....who asked for your CENOMAR ?
The British Embassy ?
or
The authority issuing the Marriage licence ?
or
Both?

Slip
5th June 2014, 22:46
Hi Slip, just to clarify....who asked for your CENOMAR ?
The British Embassy ?
or
The authority issuing the Marriage licence ?
or
Both?

Ones issuing the marriage license

Terpe
5th June 2014, 22:49
Ones issuing the marriage license

Thanks Slip :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lilbasuk
23rd June 2014, 21:47

Can I ask which city did u marry. My girlfriend told me I wouldn't need one in Gensan? I might just get one now then just to be on the safe side. :Erm::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Slip
23rd June 2014, 22:32
Can I ask which city did u marry. My girlfriend told me I wouldn't need one in gensan? I might just get one now then just to be on the safe side :Erm::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Mine was done in a little place called San Agustin. I would strongly advise getting one, the cost is small ( I believe I paid around £15 )
Do you really want to take a risk of not getting one then finding you do need one, think it may cost more than £15 by then!

cheekee
24th June 2014, 02:02
I'm a little confused.

Am I correct in thinking I have to obtain the forms for the affidavit to marry from the Embassy website?

I then present the affidavit in Manila to obtain the marriage licence.

Sorry to ask.

Slip
24th June 2014, 08:07
I'm a little confused.

Am I correct in thinking I have to obtain the forms for the affidavit to marry from the Embassy website?

I then present the affidavit in Manila to obtain the marriage licence.

Sorry to ask.

Correct.

I downloaded the form onto my laptop, filled it out and printed it off. (It does ask for you to fill it out in type and not handwritten)
You then make the appointment at the British Embassy in Manila. Go along and wait to be called, they will go through your documentation and ask you a few standard questions and take payment. Then you wait again and get called into the interview room where in my case the lady asked me a few more questions about my relationship and asked me to read out the affidavit.

Then they give you the required paperwork and you are on your way.

It is worth mentioning you get a choice whether you want to read out the affidavit or the affirmation

cheekee
24th June 2014, 17:58
Correct.

I downloaded the form onto my laptop, filled it out and printed it off. (It does ask for you to fill it out in type and not handwritten)
You then make the appointment at the British Embassy in Manila. Go along and wait to be called, they will go through your documentation and ask you a few standard questions and take payment. Then you wait again and get called into the interview room where in my case the lady asked me a few more questions about my relationship and asked me to read out the affidavit.

Then they give you the required paperwork and you are on your way.

It is worth mentioning you get a choice whether you want to read out the affidavit or the affirmation

That's great. Thanks so much.

eddiek
24th July 2014, 23:31
Hello gang,

I will be getting married in the Philippines in Feb 2015.

I'm an Irish citizen, and my wife to be will be applying on the EEA family permit visa.

I'm living here in the UK since already 2.5 years now.

Levin and I plan to live with each other here in the UK indefinitely.

--> For the affirmations or affidavits, should I apply to/through the Irish or British Embassy?

Thanks,
Ed

grahamw48
25th July 2014, 08:59
Surely you'll be applying as an Irish citizen then...nothing to do with the British Embassy ? :Erm:

You just happen to live here in UK....as is your right (and your bride to be) under EU law. :smile:

Wish I'd taken up my right to Irish citizenship when I had the chance. :cwm3:

Terpe
25th July 2014, 11:00
Hello gang,

I will be getting married in the Philippines in Feb 2015.

I'm an Irish citizen, and my wife to be will be applying on the EEA family permit visa.

I'm living here in the UK since already 2.5 years now.

Levin and I plan to live with each other here in the UK indefinitely.

--> For the affirmations or affidavits, should I apply to/through the Irish or British Embassy?

Thanks,
Ed

Ed, for advice and needed documentations relating to an Irish Citizen getting married in Philippines you must consult and work through the Irish Embassy.

However in connection with a Family Permit your wife will need to submit her application through UKVI at the British Embassy Manila hub.
She'll need to use the UK online visa application .

Here's a link to start you going - Apply for an EEA family permit (https://www.gov.uk/family-permit)
Please do take some time to review the process. As I mentioned before the visa is free.

Terpe
25th July 2014, 11:15
Ed,

Here's a link to the paper version of the EEA Family Permit (VAF5) (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/270530/vaf5.pdf) application form.

Here's a link to the EEA Family Permit - Guide to Supporting Documents (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/261446/eea-family-permit.pdf).

cheekee
31st August 2014, 17:05
Am I right in thinking the fee for the affidavit to marry is 4875.00 PHP ?

Slip
31st August 2014, 19:13

I can't remember to be honest, but it was slightly cheaper than it was with the CNI instead.

Terpe
31st August 2014, 21:29

Yes that's correct.
Take a look here at MARRIAGE IN THE PHILIPPINES (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/284905/Marriage_in_the_Philippines_leaflet_affirmation_or_affidavit_of_marital_status_Feb_2014.pdf) - (Explanatory Notice to British Nationals Contemplating Marriage in the Philippines)

cheekee
3rd September 2014, 15:28
Thank you.

I have my appointment on the 10th November at 930am.

I just need to find a clean hotel nearby as we are arriving the night before.

So I don't need a CNI at all anymore.

cheekee
3rd September 2014, 17:53
Just so people know.

There is a problem booking an appointment online using clickbook.

It wont allow bookings at the moment.

You have to email them at:

Manila.ConsAppointment@fco.gov.uk

and request your preferred date and time.

Send a copy of your travel itinerary as proof of travel.

cheekee
23rd September 2014, 18:44
Just currently updating myself on the marriage requirements.

Slip - did you actually get asked for the CNI in the end when you applied for your marriage licence?

Slip
23rd September 2014, 19:10
Just currently updating myself on the marriage requirements.

Slip - did you actually get asked for the CNI in the end when you applied for your marriage licence?

Yes I did, but, I also had a bit of paper from the British Embassy to show the local office if they insisted I needed it. Basically it told them it is no longer required and any problems to contact them....

You have to remember it was only a few weeks before I got married that they got rid of. I would suspect - and hope - that everyone is more clued up now we are several months down the line.

cheekee
23rd September 2014, 19:44
Yes I did, but, I also had a bit of paper from the British Embassy to show the local office if they insisted I needed it. Basically it told them it is no longer required and any problems to contact them....

You have to remember it was only a few weeks before I got married that they got rid of. I would suspect - and hope - that everyone is more clued up now we are several months down the line.

When I was in Cebu in May. The CNI was still listed as part of the requirements when we visited city health which is where we will apply for our marriage licence.

Slip
23rd September 2014, 20:15
When I was in Cebu in May. The CNI was still listed as part of the requirements when we visited city health which is where we will apply for our marriage licence.

It was only got rid of at the start of May, You will no doubt find their list hadn't been updated.

You do not need the CNI anymore 100%

If asked, just show them the letter from the British Embassy.

But if you really want peace of mind and can afford the 30-odd pound then get one.

Washy
21st November 2014, 04:04
Ok I'm new, but this looks like the appropriate place for my question :smile:

So I just want to double check. I'm planning on marrying a Filipina, I'm a British expat, we live together in Malaysia - have done for 18 months or so - we want to get married in December or January. The plan is to move back to the UK September/October 2015 - after searching and searching I got very confused :Brick:

This thread seems to say all I need to do is go Phil with her at Christmas, properly fill out the affidavit :-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/322577/Marriage_in_the_Philippines_leaflet_as_of_23_June_2014.pdf

Book an appointment at the Embassy :-

http://www.britishembassymanila.clickbook.net

Paying the 4,875 Php fee as detailed here :-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/279796/Consular_Fees_13012014v2.pdf

And I get my affidavit, validated the same day as the appointment.

Then she needs a Cenomar, I may or may not need a Cenomar depending on local offical (the future mother-in-law is going to find out now).

And that's all? Seem's straightforward, I was getting a bit stressed out over the whole CNI thing and the thought of having to make a quick UK trip to get it, but this thread maybe saved my bacon - I hope :icon_sorry:

Michael Parnham
21st November 2014, 06:33
Welcome to the Forum Washy, I think CNI is still required, but if I'm wrong someone on here will soon point you in the right direction. Good luck for the future and keep us posted! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

cheekee
21st November 2014, 09:23
No.

CNI is no longer required by the UK citizen for marriage in the Philippines. When you go to the British Embassy in Manilla, they give you a letter to explain to the place you apply for the marriage licence that it is no longer required.

For my marriage in Cebu I needed:

1) CENONAR (plus two xerox copies)
2) Passport with entry stamp (two copies of Each)
3) Affidavit to marry (plus 3 copies)
4) Certificate of Attendance at a pre-marriage seminar

If you had a previous marriage, you also need your decree absolute/annulment and copies or, if a widow, proof of this.

For the affidavit to marry you need Birth Certificate and Passport. You need to prepare the affidavit from the template on the Embassy website and swear it holding a bible after paying the fee.

Hope this helps. Just been through this.

cheekee
21st November 2014, 09:26
She needs:

1) CEDULA
2) CENONAR
3) two forms of valid ID
4) Annulment papers if previously married or proof of being a widow.
5) Baranguay clearance.
6) birth certificate.
7) Certificate of Attendance at a pre-marriage seminar (you attend together)

Washy
21st November 2014, 16:00
No.

CNI is no longer required by the UK citizen for marriage in the Philippines. When you go to the British Embassy in Manilla, they give you a letter to explain to the place you apply for the marriage licence that it is no longer required.

For my marriage in Cebu I needed:

1) CENONAR (plus two xerox copies)
2) Passport with entry stamp (two copies of Each)
3) Affidavit to marry (plus 3 copies)
4) Certificate of Attendance at marriage seminar

If you had a previous marriage, you also need your decree absolute/annulment and copies or, if a widow, proof of this.

For the affidavit to marry you need Birth Certificate and Passport. You need to prepare the affidavit from the template on the Embassy website and swear it holding a bible after paying the fee.

Hope this helps. Just been through this.

Marvellous news, thank you Sir.

What's involved in the Seminar? Is it just turn up and sit through it type thing?

cheekee
22nd November 2014, 07:28
Yes. The one I attended was mostly in Bisaya. My fiancee had to translate.

Half day. Two sessions.

Session one was a social worker talking about marriage and what causes the most problems.

Second session was from a nurse who basically did a whistle stop tour about sex education and ante natal care.

Michael Parnham
22nd November 2014, 07:43
Yes. The one I attended was mostly in Bisaya. My fiancee had to translate.

Half day. Two sessions.

Session one was a social worker talking about marriage and what causes the most problems.

Second session was from a nurse who basically did a whistle stop tour about sex education and ante natal care.

I remember that, it was very funny at times and very laid back with lots of jokes. Enjoyed it really! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
22nd November 2014, 18:08
Second session was from a nurse who basically did a whistle stop tour about sex

:cwm24: ... wouldn't have liked someone blowing a whistle :xxparty-smiley-050: to stop me if I were in the middle of :do_it:!

Washy
8th December 2014, 04:02
Last minute emergency question guys! Given that I'm flying to Manila, right into the path of Hagupit tomorrow and have an appointment on Friday at the Embassy, when filling out the affidavit how precise do we need to be? Particularly in the :-

"A marriage is proposed to be solemnised between me and (name and surname of partner) of (usual address) a (nationality of partner) National at (place of marriage) on (date of marriage)."

Are we talking full full address or just Quezon City for (place of marriage)? Also on the date is a guess good enough? We're meeting the judge on Wednesday so I can probably get the rest of the info then and amend and reprint the form if its wrong.

The mother in law is saying the judge has quoted 15kphp for the marriage ceremony and all the relevant paper works and licences, so I can see it being an expensive week :icon_lol:

Thanks again for all the advice :)

mjlapag
10th December 2014, 13:12
Last minute emergency question guys! Given that I'm flying to Manila, right into the path of Hagupit tomorrow and have an appointment on Friday at the Embassy, when filling out the affidavit how precise do we need to be? Particularly in the :-

"A marriage is proposed to be solemnised between me and (name and surname of partner) of (usual address) a (nationality of partner) National at (place of marriage) on (date of marriage)."

Are we talking full full address or just Quezon City for (place of marriage)? Also on the date is a guess good enough? We're meeting the judge on Wednesday so I can probably get the rest of the info then and amend and reprint the form if its wrong.

The mother in law is saying the judge has quoted 15kphp for the marriage ceremony and all the relevant paper works and licences, so I can see it being an expensive week :icon_lol:

Thanks again for all the advice :)

Hello! I'm new in the forum and my boyfriend and I have been reading the thread and its very helpful to know what he needs to do when he arrives on May.
Are there any requirements for me to comply when he goes to the Embassy?
Thank you. :)

Washy
17th December 2014, 04:26
Hello! I'm new in the forum and my boyfriend and I have been reading the thread and its very helpful to know what he needs to do when he arrives on May.
Are there any requirements for me to comply when he goes to the Embassy?
Thank you. :)

Hello,

Having just completed everything a few days ago, I can say its easy - to answer my own question, yes place of marriage can be general "Quezon City" was fine and the date can also be approximate, just put when you would like to get married, they are fully aware in the embassy and at QC city hall that its catch 22, you cant apply for the licence without the affidavit so if your going for an ASAP wedding you just don't know.

Ref your question mjlapag - you don't need to be there unless you want a trip to the embassy - its a nice place though. To get in you'll both need your passports and an appointment - note that the click book still does not work (even though it lets you make an appointment!!) and you need to email for an appointment : Manila.ConsAppointment@fco.gov.uk

Availability was good for appointments.

Your spouse will need an original LONG birth certificate (or a replacement from GRO), passport and a filled out affidavit or affirmation (one or the other, not both) the difference is ...

The only difference between the affirmation and affidavit is the use of a bible—the affirmation involves making a solemn declaration , while an affidavit involves swearing an oath on the bible. Both methods are equally binding. You are free to choose which one you prefer.

Getting to the embassy is a right pain depending on where you are coming from or staying, in our case getting from Trinoma to the embassy wouldn't be possible unless you left at 4 or 5am in a taxi. Therefore we took MRT, Jeepney and then a taxi when we arrived at Taguig. Appointments finish at 11am so you need to factor this in, or stay in a hotel in Taguig or Makati the night before.

At QC city hall they only required my original affidavit and copies of my birth certificate and passport (along with copies of my Phil chops) my girl friends CENOMAR, birth certificate and ID - they were keen for us to show our relationship was genuine which was no problem - my partner keeps photos of everything on her phone.

They weren't interested in us having to do the marriage guidance or family planning courses and they'll issue our licence on Monday 22nd December, so I think the 10 day wait must include weekends and we have our wedding scheduled on 23rd.

Hope this helps you out and clarifies.

ras911
14th April 2015, 19:56
Anyone know how long an Affidavit to marry is valid for?

Terpe
15th April 2015, 10:16
Anyone know how long an Affidavit to marry is valid for?

Hi ras911,

In order to secure a Marriage Licence both parties need to show they are free to marry.

The British Embassy can provide an Affidavit or Affirmation on Marital Status. This basically states you are single and free to marry.
It's normally done just ahead of application for the Marriage Licence.

Although not strictly required under law many authorities can legally request the foreign party to submit a local CENOMAR (Certificate of No Marriage Record )
The CENOMAR is obtained from the NSO

The last time I checked the CENOMAR had a generally accepted validity of 6 months
Likewise I would suggest that the Affidavit or Affirmation of Marital Status would also follow the same legal process and have a validity of 6 months.

Incidently the Marriage licence has a legal validity of 120days anywhere in Philippines.

So you've plenty of time for a change of mind :biggrin:

cheekee
15th April 2015, 12:26
Hello,

They weren't interested in us having to do the marriage guidance or family planning courses and they'll issue our licence on Monday 22nd December, so I think the 10 day wait must include weekends and we have our wedding scheduled on 23rd.

Hope this helps you out and clarifies.

In Cebu city they were very strict and required us to attend the pre marriage counselling. We got married November 2014.

Do not assume that you don't need it. Each baranguay/province is different and if you are getting married on a tight schedule you may then get caught out and not have enough time.

Terpe
15th April 2015, 13:08
In Cebu city they were very strict and required us to attend the pre marriage counselling. We got married November 2014.

Do not assume that you don't need it. Each baranguay/province is different and if you are getting married on a tight schedule you may then get caught out and not have enough time.

There are always variations in the Philippines, but as you have said Phil they will always comply with the law.

The 10 days wait for marriage licence issue is mandatory. If the 10 days ends on a non working day or if the local authorities want 11, 12 or whatever number of days that's fine. Just as long as the 10 days minimum is complied with.
Always be careful when counting days and expect the unexpected.
Then smile.

cheekee
15th April 2015, 13:15
There are always variations in the Philippines, but as you have said Phil they will always comply with the law.

The 10 days wait for marriage licence issue is mandatory. If the 10 days ends on a non working day or if the local authorities want 11, 12 or whatever number of days that's fine. Just as long as the 10 days minimum is complied with.
Always be careful when counting days and expect the unexpected.
Then smile.

When we applied for our marriage licence they told us the date/day our marriage licence would be ready. :)

ras911
16th April 2015, 08:35
Thank You Terpe most appreciated

andy222
16th April 2015, 11:14
Marvellous news, thank you Sir.

What's involved in the Seminar? Is it just turn up and sit through it type thing?
Just turn up sit and listen. Answer a few questions. As for me I paid the guy p600 job done.:wink:.

blessed_ekim0826
27th August 2015, 06:14
U will get the affirmation on the same day?

Terpe
27th August 2015, 07:40
U will get the affirmation on the same day?

Yes, the same day and usually within your appoinment slot time.

ssbib
18th October 2016, 11:39
Hi everyone. I am gearing up for my wedding next February and I had some free time in work today so I thought I will type up my affirmation (ssssh, don't tell my manager!). There is a section in it that says "date and place of issue of passport" and so I put the date of issue as printed in my passport and then Liverpool, England as that is the office I sent the application to. Will that be sufficient? There is a section in the passport that states "authority" IPS. Should that go in place of Liverpool? Thanks

Terpe
18th October 2016, 13:00
Hi everyone. I am gearing up for my wedding next February and I had some free time in work today so I thought I will type up my affirmation (ssssh, don't tell my manager!). There is a section in it that says "date and place of issue of passport" and so I put the date of issue as printed in my passport and then Liverpool, England as that is the office I sent the application to. Will that be sufficient? There is a section in the passport that states "authority" IPS. Should that go in place of Liverpool? Thanks

UK passports are issued by the Identity and Passport Services who have a lot of passport offices spread across the UK
In Principle the important aspect is that the passport shows it is issued by the UK government.
My current passport shows UKPA so that's what I put and it's never been questioned.
My wife's British Passport shows IPS so that's what she always puts and she's never had any issues either.

I guess it's OK to put Liverpool UK or Liverpool IPS but I'm not 100% sure.
Personally I've always entered passport data exactly as it appears in my own passport.

Slip
18th October 2016, 13:12
As Terpe says, just put whatever it says in your passport. I also remember querying this. I believe I put IPS

quickwillow
21st May 2017, 04:38
It's been a long time since posting here, I have a friend that is trying to find out if an Affirmation Of Marital Status can this be done in Cebu? For us it was a CNI and a visit to Mrs Moya Jackson MBE all done sitting around her swimming pool in Cebu Thank you in advance for any help given.