PDA

View Full Version : Shipping our things to Cebu........

mickmyrna
5th April 2014, 17:39
Hi there everyone on the forum! I don't usually come on here (usually its my wife, Myrna!) but I wondered if anyone can give me any idea on the cost of seafreighting our furniture etc to Cebu, we don't need anything like a 20 foot container, but maybe a 6 foot by 4 foot by maybe 5 foot wooden crate........(we don't have much furniture!) and can anybody recommend some shipping firm in the West Yorkshire area (Bradford) Cheers, Mick Williams :smile:

grahamw48
5th April 2014, 19:25
Hia Mick.

A couple of decent sized 'Balikbayan' boxes you can probably reckon on a £100-200 each. (Container, you're talking 4 figures).

It goes by size of box, not weight. The shipper normally supplies the boxes also.

I'm not familiar with Yorks area ones, as it's a long time since I've sent any, but perhaps start off an internet search with 'LBC' (one of the larger ones), just to get an idea of sizes and current prices. :smile:

Terpe
5th April 2014, 19:40
Hi Mick,

Well firstly I've never done it so can't give first hand comments.
I've had many friends shipping by container (various sizes) and I would call it expensive but it all depends how important it is to ship a whole container load of stuff.
For me I've decided to use Balikbayan Box shipper like LBC for most of the smaller stuff and a shipping organisation to handle any larger stuff that needs individual attention or special packing.

May I suggest you take a look here (http://www.shipit.co.uk/) for an idea. Please have a look at the video to see how the packing can be managed.

The cost is very simply based on the final volume of the items when packaged.
It really does depend on what you want them to do, but in principle just on volume it's not much more expensive than the same volume of Balikbayan Boxes.

If you click their 'Get a Quote' selection in the blue bar at the top of the page you can estimate your own volumes.

Anyway hope that you'll find it helpful

mickmyrna
5th April 2014, 20:01
Hi Mick,

Well firstly I've never done it so can't give first hand comments.
I've had many friends shipping by container (various sizes) and I would call it expensive but it all depends how important it is to ship a whole container load of stuff.
For me I've decided to use Balikbayan Box shipper like LBC for most of the smaller stuff and a shipping organisation to handle any larger stuff that needs individual attention or special packing.

May I suggest you take a look here (http://www.shipit.co.uk/) for an idea. Please have a look at the video to see how the packing can be managed.

The cost is very simply based on the final volume of the items when packaged.
It really does depend on what you want them to do, but in principle just on volume it's not much more expensive than the same volume of Balikbayan Boxes.

If you click their 'Get a Quote' selection in the blue bar at the top of the page you can estimate your own volumes.

Anyway hope that you'll find it helpful

Excellent! Thank you both for your info, I will research this........cheers, Mick Williams :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
5th April 2014, 21:26
Sorry Graham to have duplicated some of your comments.
I'm really having some issues with my laptop again especially when typing etc it's sooooooo slooooooow.

I've a feeling I'll have to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

grahamw48
5th April 2014, 23:14
Haha...I'll take it as a compliment. :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

RickyR
6th April 2014, 05:08
The balkibayan route seems to be far easier, it somehow circumvents a lot of the customs hassle that convention shipping encounters.
Furniture is rarely worth shipping internationally, unless its particularly good quality. Selling furniture and large electrical items will give you cash to start all over again.
We send a balkibayan box every few months to the Philippines and never had a problem so far.

mickmyrna
6th April 2014, 11:16
The balkibayan route seems to be far easier, it somehow circumvents a lot of the customs hassle that convention shipping encounters.
Furniture is rarely worth shipping internationally, unless its particularly good quality. Selling furniture and large electrical items will give you cash to start all over again.
We send a balkibayan box every few months to the Philippines and never had a problem so far.

Hi Ricky, thanks for that - haven't decided specifically what we're taking yet, but maybe we'll ship less things than we were going to originally!!!! Balikbayan boxes would be good for clothes and suchlike I imagine........:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
6th April 2014, 11:45
Yep...clothes are good (use them to cushion delicate stuff too...like framed pictures).
Also, curtains and blinds. Handy to have.

All those little bits and pieces from your kitchen drawers.

Tools, as quality is usually rubbish in the Phils, and all will be to buy again. Small garden tools also.

Same goes for electrical connectors, computer leads, etc. Don't take up much space, but handy to have, and quality better from here.

Even consider some small cans of paint, rather than throwing out, as choice is limited in the Phils.

The boxes they send you are normally very thick cardboard, which are fine, but cover them totally in plastic parcel tape, so that they never get wet.

mickmyrna
7th April 2014, 16:04
Yep...clothes are good (use them to cushion delicate stuff too...like framed pictures).
Also, curtains and blinds. Handy to have.

All those little bits and pieces from your kitchen drawers.

Tools, as quality is usually rubbish in the Phils, and all will be to buy again. Small garden tools also.

Same goes for electrical connectors, computer leads, etc. Don't take up much space, but handy to have, and quality better from here.

Even consider some small cans of paint, rather than throwing out, as choice is limited in the Phils.

The boxes they send you are normally very thick cardboard, which are fine, but cover them totally in plastic parcel tape, so that they never get wet.

Cheers Graham, thanks for the info! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
7th April 2014, 19:04
You're welcome.
I can still recall packing , sending and receiving the 6 big boxes of our stuff when we moved to the Phil's. :xxgrinning--00xx3: