PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Caxton Card?

aprilmaejon
5th April 2014, 19:58
Hello everyone,

I hope you are all well.

In 2 weeks time, me and the hubby are flying to Philippines for our 3 weeks visit-holiday. I am thinking of what's the best, convenient, safe and easy way of carrying our pocket money. Just now I have read about this Caxton card.

Before I apply for this card, can anybody tell me about this card and how reliable this is please. On withdrawing cash, how much is the charge? For example withdrawing from landbank or PNB?
When loading money from a uk debit card to Caxton card through online, how long does the money appears on the card?

I just truly needs your views and advice guys please. Thank you very much.

melovesengland
5th April 2014, 20:03
for an international card I think 100 odd pesos or more, if i am on your feet right now, I will deposit it in my old philippine bank and take it or use it from there.

London_Manila
5th April 2014, 20:11
Hello everyone,

I hope you are all well.

In 2 weeks time, me and the hubby are flying to Philippines for our 3 weeks visit-holiday. I am thinking of what's the best, convenient, safe and easy way of carrying our pocket money. Just now I have read about this Caxton card.

Before I apply for this card, can anybody tell me about this card and how reliable this is please. On withdrawing cash, how much is the charge? For example withdrawing from landbank or PNB?
When loading money from a uk debit card to Caxton card through online, how long does the money appears on the card?

I just truly needs your views and advice guys please. Thank you very much.

I did hear these were ok but dont use these type of cards when you check into a hotel and they take a deposit

If you do that it takes the money off the card and takes a long time to re credit it again

i normally take cash and admitted it not the safest way but who likes paying with credit cards with their low exchange rates and the dreaded NON STERLING TRANSACTION FEE = complete rip off diba

I have looked at many ways but anything with a card incurs added rip off charges

So until i find anything better its £50 notes stuffed down my underpants in a envelope :Rasp:

No rips or marks on the notes as many places wont change them

aprilmaejon
5th April 2014, 20:31
My alternative plan is to send all the money to my mum's landbank account before we go but my only concern is it will gonna cost me £30 as CBN service charge for up to £1000 is £5 and £1 additional fee for every £100 additional.

I have my landbank and BPI account as well but I don't know if they are still valid after 2 years and a half of being inactive.

London_Manila
5th April 2014, 20:34
Sending money to yourself with Western Union probably works out not a lot more than using debit cards

I dont like the idea and all the hassle of setting up different bank accounts in different countries
as soon as you want to transfer any money the rip off charges start

Slip
5th April 2014, 20:43
Got one for my 6 weeks stay. Not used it yet but did my research and it seems to be the nominated card amongst travelers.

Read the FAQ bit here for answers to some of your questions http://www.caxtonfx.com/currency-cards/currency-cards-for-you/#faqs

aprilmaejon
5th April 2014, 20:51
Sending money to yourself with Western Union probably works out not a lot more than using debit cards

I dont like the idea and all the hassle of setting up different bank accounts in different countries
as soon as you want to transfer any money the rip off charges start

The problem with Western Union or World Remit, their rates are very low and they charge a lot of money for their service.

Moy
5th April 2014, 21:43
i have my philippine bank account for nearly 4 years now...only had the minimum cash....as its still active..safest way of transfering money case i go home..so no hastle.;)

raynaputi
5th April 2014, 21:57
for an international card I think 100 odd pesos or more, if i am on your feet right now, I will deposit it in my old philippine bank and take it or use it from there.

It's at least PHP 200 per transaction.

I'd rather transfer the money to a Philippine bank account compared to using international cards all the time. At least if you are withdrawing money using a Philippine ATM, the charge will only be at least 15 pesos or non at all.

London_Manila
6th April 2014, 03:45
It's at least PHP 200 per transaction.

I'd rather transfer the money to a Philippine bank account compared to using international cards all the time. At least if you are withdrawing money using a Philippine ATM, the charge will only be at least 15 pesos or non at all.

Surely there is a charge when you transfer the money and what kind of exchange rate would they give you

I am yet to see any bank give rates that i can get on the street in the Phills

Imagine if the ATM swallows your card = days spent waiting in line

London_Manila
6th April 2014, 03:51
The problem with Western Union or World Remit, their rates are very low and they charge a lot of money for their service.
£5 for £50 is not that bad and no hidden extra fees

Slip
6th April 2014, 09:36
Imagine if the ATM swallows your card = days spent waiting in line

Not if like me you have a secondary card just in case, My plan is to leave the secondary card with my fiancee when I come home. Then if I have to send her money to pay for the visa and hopefully her flight here eventually, then I just top the card up and she then goes to the ATM and takes out the cash to pay for it.

aprilmaejon
6th April 2014, 14:40
Not if like me you have a secondary card just in case, My plan is to leave the secondary card with my fiancee when I come home. Then if I have to send her money to pay for the visa and hopefully her flight here eventually, then I just top the card up and she then goes to the ATM and takes out the cash to pay for it.

Have she tried using this Caxton card yet Slip? All I wanna know is how much is the charges per withdrawal from local banks.

imagine
6th April 2014, 14:42
I found caxton ok, and you can have an extra card just incase, its easy and fast to load either online or by cel txt,

alternately I would recommend pnb Europe, quite easy to set up and transfer money to your chosen beneficiary account in phill, excellent exchange rate:xxgrinning--00xx3:

aprilmaejon
6th April 2014, 15:11
I found caxton ok, and you can have an extra card just incase, its easy and fast to load either online or by cel txt,
:

How much are the charges for withdrawal in Philippine local banks based on your own experience?

aprilmaejon
6th April 2014, 15:16
alternately I would recommend pnb Europe, quite easy to set up and transfer money to your chosen beneficiary account in phill, excellent exchange rate:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I just phoned them for registration. I found out that their service fee is quite reasonable with good currency exchange rate as well compared to other remittances that I am used to. I might apply for their PNB Global Filipino Money Card.

Slip
6th April 2014, 15:35
Have she tried using this Caxton card yet Slip? All I wanna know is how much is the charges per withdrawal from local banks.

No, I am not going for a month yet. Then when I return In June I will leave the card with her.

Without looking it up, not got time right now... I can't remember what the charge is for using ATM's, I will get back to you on that one.

Terpe
6th April 2014, 19:35
I'm a fan of the Caxton Card.
Both myself and my have 3 each....(Sterling/Dollar/Euro)
The advantage with Dollar and Euro cards is that you can pre-buy and load them up when RoE's are good and lock in at that rate. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

(shame there's no Peso Card :icon_lol:)

We've both used them (all) when travelling around the Philippines.....never had any issues.
I've had some issues with 'regular' debit & credit cards despite informing the banks about where we'd be going.

I thinks it's a good idea to have access to multiple ways of getting cash. I'm not that fond of carrying it around and find I don't stay long in one place.

Sadly the cost of doing that can be quite high in Philippines. P200 per transaction is getting much more common than P100 but as others have said there's always going to be a cost of buying Peso.

PS: Caxton don't make any charge for international point of sale........but the local merchants or ATMs do...especially in PH (as we all know)

Terpe
6th April 2014, 19:53
As others have mentioned DON'T EVER use a pre-paid currency card for any kind of security deposit or pre-authorisation (car hire / hotel bookings).

That can seriously 'block' and use up your balance. You'll often find it takes 10-20 days to clear.

Much better instead to use your credit card for pre-authorisation and your pre-paid currency card to pay the final bill. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
6th April 2014, 20:56
£5 for £50 is not that bad and no hidden extra fees

10% sounds horrendous to me :cwm25:

London_Manila
7th April 2014, 00:47
10% sounds horrendous to me :cwm25:

Well it is instant and you dont have to set up any back accounts :smile:

Credit cards charge an ATM fee plus low exchange rate and then the non sterling transaction fee
Cash advances attract other fees also

Western Union wont swallow your card either

aprilmaejon
12th April 2014, 17:12
Thanks for all your response. I applied for Caxton card just for emergency cases that I have to transfer money immediately from my debit card and to be withdrawn. I also register myself to PNB GLOBAL PLC so I can send remittance straight to my mum's account for a cheap service fee and high currency rate.
Problem solved.
Thank you all for your advise.

gWaPito
12th April 2014, 19:05
Well it is instant and you dont have to set up any back accounts :smile:

Credit cards charge an ATM fee plus low exchange rate and then the non sterling transaction fee
Cash advances attract other fees also

Western Union wont swallow your card either

No ATM or non sterling transaction fees with American Express cards.

aprilmaejon
12th April 2014, 19:53
No ATM or non sterling transaction fees with American Express cards.

Really? Even in the phil?

gWaPito
12th April 2014, 21:45

That's exactly what I did Slip. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
12th April 2014, 21:49
Really? Even in the phil?

According to amex's terms and conditions :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
12th April 2014, 23:01
I use a Travelex pre-loaded card, plus my credit card, plus my home bank card, plus cash.

I'm still broke...but it sounds good. :icon_lol:

gWaPito
13th April 2014, 01:29
Sounds if we're in the same club :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3: