PDA

View Full Version : ESOL or Life in the UK Test

patrickm1978
10th April 2014, 22:20
I have been looking online and seen someone had a post saying that if the Life in UK can't be passed, then ESOL with citizenship materials would be a good course

Is this true, if my wife did an ESOL course then she would not have to take the Life in the UK Test?

melovesengland
10th April 2014, 22:40
she needs to pass a life in the uk test and must obtain a b1 qualification for the english test in order for her to meet the requirement for indefinite leave to remain.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/300441/SET_M__guidance_notes_04-14.pdf

that is on the page 2 of the guidance note for set m.

the rules was changed last year from choosing either life in the uk or english test to both needs to be obtain. so i believe that she needs to do both.

aprilmaejon
12th April 2014, 17:29
She needs to take both. ESOL is an English exam while Life in the UK test is more about what is UK (history, culture, activities etc...) .
She will no longer need to take ESOL if she has taken English exam before with an equivalent score of b1 level or above, like for example IELTS. If she scored more that 4 in IELTS, no need to take ESOL.

jimeva
12th April 2014, 20:49
She had to pass an English Test before submitting her application for an Entry Clearance Visa to the Embassy in Manila. This was granted very quickly and was good for a stay of 27 months. After 2 years in UK she passed her "Life in UK" Test and was granted her " Indefinite Leave To Remain " Biometric Permit. We can't understand why she needs to pass an ESOL Test before she can apply for Citizenship. Please give us all the advice you can. I phoned the Home Office and spoke to a very pleasant young man who agreed they would not have issued an "ILR" if they did not have proof of my wife's english abilities but was almost certain the application would be declined unless she took a new test.

melovesengland
12th April 2014, 21:42
or if she has english certificate that is still on the list of approved english language tests by ukba, make sure you check. link below.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/261533/new-approved-english-tests.pdf

Terpe
13th April 2014, 10:01
She had to pass an English Test before submitting her application for an Entry Clearance Visa to the Embassy in Manila. This was granted very quickly and was good for a stay of 27 months. After 2 years in UK she passed her "Life in UK" Test and was granted her " Indefinite Leave To Remain " Biometric Permit. We can't understand why she needs to pass an ESOL Test before she can apply for Citizenship. Please give us all the advice you can. I phoned the Home Office and spoke to a very pleasant young man who agreed they would not have issued an "ILR" if they did not have proof of my wife's english abilities but was almost certain the application would be declined unless she took a new test.

1. Which test and what level/score did she attain for initial entry clearance?
2. When was she granted ILR ? From 28 October 2013, applicants for both ILR and Naturalisation are required to pass the Life in the UK Test and to hold a B1 level English language speaking and listening qualification. The test should be listed on the UKVI approved list.
3. If your wife already has English language speaking and listening at B1 level she will not be required to re-take a test.....even the certificate validity has expired......provided that test remains on the UKVI approved list.
4. It does not need to be an ESOL test at all................it can be any of the tests listed.

Luckily your wife already holds ILR so she's under no time pressure.