PDA

View Full Version : Baguio is more polluted than Manila

jake
12th May 2014, 14:26
The relatively cool air in the nation's summer capital may not necessarily be clean.

Baguio City has topped a list of Philippine cities with the most polluted air, according to a World Health Organization (WHO) study.

A report on "24 Oras" cited data from the WHO study setting the guideline limit at 10 micrograms of particulate matter per cubic meter.

Of the Philippine cities included in the study, Baguio City was the most pollution-prone with 49 micrograms per cubic meter of air.

Manila and Cebu came in second and third with 22 micrograms per cubic meter each.

The "24 Oras" report said the study found air pollution had worsened in 1,600 cities around the world.

It said this was partly due to more people using vehicles, adding this meant a higher risk of getting cancer, stroke or heart disease.

At least seven million people may have died from air pollution in 2012, the report said.

With the study showing health risks caused by air pollution, the WHO called for greater awareness of health risks caused by air pollution.

jake
12th May 2014, 14:29
The city used to boost it was the "Cleanest and Greenest" in the Philippines :cwm25:

Steve.r
12th May 2014, 16:09
Here in China the air is so polluted you have to eat each breath. Pushing 250-300 most days

jake
13th May 2014, 13:52
Here in China the air is so polluted you have to eat each breath. Pushing 250-300 most days

:yikes:

Is coal the main contributor to the poor air quality?

Doc Alan
13th May 2014, 21:52
Coal is a major contributor, Jake. Thank you for posting this thread :smile:.

I thought it interesting and important enough to start a separate thread in the " Health Issues " section. See

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/52314-Air-pollution .

London_Manila
14th May 2014, 01:06
That's a shame. With its great average yearly temperature, it was on my list as a future place to live in

fred
14th May 2014, 04:42
It's not that bad actually..Obviously I have noticed the difference over the years with population levels and smoke pollution but only really around the Sessions Road area.. Not really my favourite part of Baguio anyway.

We were in Baguio last year and were walking a good 10 KM a day mostly Uphill!! Easy to do there because of the climate..

In Cebu I walk about 5 mins and its time for a cold SMB in a cold bar with my feet covered in soot.

KeithD
14th May 2014, 10:04
30% of the world's methane comes from animal farts.... that includes you Jake :biggrin: