PDA

View Full Version : Life in the UK, is the grass really greener?

FilipinaDiver
13th May 2014, 09:37
It took a while to take the plunge and try and ride the bus here. Too scared that the driver might not understand what I'm saying, where I'm heading. I'm still cringing when crossing the street and to remind myself to look onto your RIGHT! not LEFT! and imagination would run into as stup!d as someone would shout 'Hey you foreigner! You don't even know how to cross the road!'. I'm also gaining confidence to say 'Sorry? and 'Pardon?' if I don't understand one of the various accents here. I know its all in my head that the barista and even those people queuing up would sharply turn their heads when I say 'large cappo staying in' with my strong american (as some Brits would call, Yankee). It became official that it was just my labyrinth-like imagination when nobody made a big deal when Rio Ferdinand and his kids went in to grab snacks, also, when Dwight Yorke picked up his take-away. I've calmed down a bit and settling here more as I need to accept that I have two homes now. Oh I miss my other home.

What are your own immigrant fears? How did you cope with it?

marga
13th May 2014, 11:29
Hiya. :Wave:

I have that fear of riding a bus as well that's why I haven't tried yet, same fear as yours. lol and sometimes it's hard to understand their accent...I know it will take time to get used to their accent tho' sometimes I feel people would think I am deaf as I kept saying "sorry?" for not getting what they mean. :Cuckoo:

Longweekend
13th May 2014, 11:39
Don't worry, it's just the same for us Brits when we are in PI, in fact on our recent visit my wife was finding it difficult to make people understand her, maybe she has been here too long....

And missing your other home is only natural, so long as you can visit occasionally and keep up with the family via SKYPE or facebook, etc....:biggrin:

Dedworth
13th May 2014, 11:53
FilipinaDiver - I'd avoid the place Ferdinand & Yorke frequent :xxparty-smiley-004:

FilipinaDiver
13th May 2014, 12:23
Hiya. :Wave:

I have that fear of riding a bus as well that's why I haven't tried yet, same fear as yours. lol and sometimes it's hard to understand their accent...I know it will take time to get used to their accent tho' sometimes I feel people would think I am deaf as I kept saying "sorry?" for not getting what they mean. :Cuckoo:

Hello Marga! You should definitely try it sometime, even for a short ride! I'm quite enjoying it now tbh, hahaha. I know exactly how you feel, I cringe a bit when someone would ask me to repeat what I said.

FilipinaDiver
13th May 2014, 12:28
Don't worry, it's just the same for us Brits when we are in PI, in fact on our recent visit my wife was finding it difficult to make people understand her, maybe she has been here too long....
And missing your other home is only natural, so long as you can visit occasionally and keep up with the family via SKYPE or facetime etc....:biggrin:

Hello, you're right, my husband also encountered being asked to repeat what he has said too. Wrt your wife, living in the UK makes you act and speak like an English too. Yeah, it was Mother's day in the Philippines and some other parts of the world but not here in the UK last Sunday so homesickness is hanging around me.

Rik
13th May 2014, 12:42
I wouldn't worry about getting on a bus and trying your best to state where you want to go to, because there are people who have been here for 30+ years and still don't know a word of English :yikes: lol

raynaputi
13th May 2014, 15:02
Is the grass greener in the UK? Well we didn't have a lawn in the Philippines and our garden here in the UK is full of grass so our guinea pigs have a supply, so it's greener..hahaha.. :icon_lol:

Kidding aside, when I first came here, what worried me most was being isolated. I lived in Manila all my life (except when I worked in Singapore for 6 months) and love being in the city so much mainly because I can do anything and go everywhere I would want to. But coming here, I'd be living in a small village up the hill in the country side, 3 miles away from the town and not being able to drive, that worried me a lot about being isolated. Anyway, I overcome the feeling though. We usually go out everyday anyway to go to town and go to Liverpool weekly, so being isolated is not a problem anymore.

I've met a couple of Filipina members here in the forum but since they live far from me, we haven't met yet again. We do have a Filipina friend married to my hubby's friend and we regularly see them. So having a Filipina friend is already checked on my list. I can also talk to some of my neighbours once in a while, especially whenever it's sunny day and everyone's out. Hubby's family has always been great to me too.

Oh, I haven't experienced riding a bus and train yet, but it never really interested me since we have a car and that's better. I do have a driver anyway..hahaha.. :icon_lol:

KeithD
13th May 2014, 15:08
The last time I got a bus, Butler was still handing out the tickets :biggrin:

Rik
13th May 2014, 17:35
:biggrin:

bigmac
13th May 2014, 17:47
I've got a bus pass--I use it a lot--you get great views from upstairs--and chauffeur driven too. all for free!

However--I still have a car which I do use for journeys where the buses don't go. Not free though--just forked out £250 for the MOT today.

Michael Parnham
13th May 2014, 18:45
I drive Maritess to work most days, then I leave my car at her work and use my buss pass home, then bus back to collect her from work and drive home, saves fuel. Up until Maritess arrived here two years now, I've never used a bus or train since the 1950's, you must try the train to London or somewhere Rayna, it's awesome, I really notice a big difference on buses and train since the 50's it's very posh now!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
13th May 2014, 18:50

It would have been Jack, I will send Blakey to 'Get you Keith' :biggrin:

joebloggs
13th May 2014, 19:02
Oh, I haven't experienced riding a bus and train yet, but it never really interested me since we have a car and that's better. I do have a driver anyway..hahaha.. :icon_lol:

My misses had been to that southern hell hole called London a few times on her own for a couple of days at a time to take exams :wink: she even managed to get back :cwm24:

Terpe
13th May 2014, 19:12
My misses had been to that southern hell hole called London a few times on her own for a couple of days at a time to take exams :wink: she even managed to get back :cwm24:

:laugher::laugher::laugher:

raynaputi
13th May 2014, 19:20
I drive Maritess to work most days, then I leave my car at her work and use my bus pass home, then bus back to collect her from work and drive home, saves fuel. Up until Maritess arrived here two years now, I've never used a bus or train since the 1950's, you must try the train to London or somewhere Rayna, it's awesome, I really notice a big difference on buses and train since the 50's it's very posh now! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael, I never really enjoyed riding trains or buses, even when I was in Manila. I've always ridden a cab (hence my friends call me "taxi girl") because I felt safer in it. I only go on a train/bus/jeep if I had no choice. When I was in Singapore, trains were the only ride for me to go to work but never really enjoyed it other than the fast ride. I hate getting in a cramped train or bus, so I would always avoid it as much as possible. That's why I never got interested in riding a train or bus here. There's no train near us anyway (nearest is in Rhyl) and the bus goes in the village 2x a day only (one in the morning and one in the afternoon after office hours I guess) hahaha. :icon_lol: If Keith lose the car, I'd just call a taxi to get me to the shop, no choice anyway. :laugher:

mickcant
13th May 2014, 20:07

Yes, remember him well. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Mick.:smile:

FilipinaDiver
13th May 2014, 20:44
I drive Maritess to work most days, then I leave my car at her work and use my bus pass home, then bus back to collect her from work and drive home, saves fuel. Up until Maritess arrived here two years now, I've never used a bus or train since the 1950's, you must try the train to London or somewhere Rayna, it's awesome, I really notice a big difference on buses and train since the 50's it's very posh now! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I have tried the first class section Virgin trains to London from Wilmslow last year with my 2 best friends when they came to visit me here in the UK and we all loved it! You always get to see someone famous with those bound for London trains hahaha!

FilipinaDiver
13th May 2014, 20:52
Is the grass greener in the UK? Well we didn't have a lawn in the Philippines and our garden here in the UK is full of grass so our guinea pigs have a supply, so it's greener..hahaha.. :icon_lol:

Kidding aside, when I first came here, what worried me most was being isolated. I lived in Manila all my life (except when I worked in Singapore for 6 months) and love being in the city so much mainly because I can do anything and go everywhere I would want to. But coming here, I'd be living in a small village up the hill in the country side, 3 miles away from the town and not being able to drive, that worried me a lot about being isolated. Anyway, I overcome the feeling though. We usually go out everyday anyway to go to town and go to Liverpool weekly, so being isolated is not a problem anymore.

I've met a couple of Filipina members here in the forum but since they live far from me, we haven't met yet again. We do have a Filipina friend married to my hubby's friend and we regularly see them. So having a Filipina friend is already checked on my list. I can also talk to some of my neighbours once in a while, especially whenever it's sunny day and everyone's out. Hubby's family has always been great to me too.

You're totally right Rayna, its a real struggle having lived in Manila and then shifted to a small village where you could see squirrels around. Hubby wouldn't dare let me drive his car as he has seen how I manoeuvre the countless U-turns of Edsa. :biggrin:

raynaputi
13th May 2014, 21:18
You're totally right Rayna, its a real struggle having lived in Manila and then shifted to a small village where you could see squirrels around. Hubby wouldn't dare let me drive his car as he has seen how I manoeuvre the countless U-turns of Edsa. :biggrin:

I still have to learn how to drive..I started last year (Keith was teaching me) but got scared after my 4th drive (drove quite a few miles). :doh So I'm waiting when Keith will teach me again before I do proper driving lessons. He said he wanted to teach me first to gain confidence, but obviously it didn't happen! Hahaha :icon_lol:

I do enjoy our small village now. The birds and squirrels are fun to watch. At the front door, there are fields with sheep and cows that do amuse me too. So I'm quite contented now living here. I do get bored at times since I don't have work (unfortunately, I never get call backs for my job applications around the area, but I do got some from London and Birmingham which isn't really a good option location wise). Good thing though that Keith is just beside me all the time so I have someone to annoy when it happens! :biggrin:

Longweekend
13th May 2014, 21:20
Anyone who can navigate Manila will find the UK a doddle to drive in....:biggrin:

FilipinaDiver
13th May 2014, 21:30
I still have to learn how to drive..I started last year (Keith was teaching me) but got scared after my 4th drive (drove quite a few miles). :doh So I'm waiting when Keith will teach me again before I do proper driving lessons. He said he wanted to teach me first to gain confidence, but obviously it didn't happen! Hahaha :icon_lol:

I do enjoy our small village now. The birds and squirrels are fun to watch. At the front door, there are fields with sheep and cows that do amuse me too. So I'm quite contented now living here. I do get bored at times since I don't have work (unfortunately, I never get call backs for my job applications around the area, but I do got some from London and Birmingham which isn't really a good option location wise). Good thing though that Keith is just beside me all the time so I have someone to annoy when it happens! :biggrin:

Maybe its about time to hold that steering wheel again? Keep left! Hahaha! Good for you that your hubby is just around. My hubby works 2 weeks in Germany a month but comes home every weekend, so I am left alone but it isn't bad at all as we live near a small High Street with Waitrose, Tesco, Costa and some pubs and restaurants. But (another but!) it's not enjoyable to roam around the streets alone! As I'm not yet allowed to work, I'm volunteering at Barnardo's to kill time and it's a great way to gain confidence living here.

FilipinaDiver
13th May 2014, 21:33
Anyone who can navigate Manila will find the UK a doddle to drive in....:biggrin:

Hahaha! I find the blind curves challenging!

raynaputi
13th May 2014, 21:44
Maybe its about time to hold that steering wheel again? Keep left! Hahaha! Good for you that your hubby is just around. My hubby works 2 weeks in Germany a month but comes home every weekend, so I am left alone but it isn't bad at all as we live near a small high street with Waitrose, Tesco, Costa and some pubs and restaurants. But (another but!) it's not enjoyable to roam around the streets alone! As I'm not yet allowed to work, I'm volunteering at Barnardo's to kill time and it's a great way to gain confidence living here.

Why aren't you allowed to work yet? :Erm:

FilipinaDiver
13th May 2014, 22:15
Rayna, I'm still under a visit visa. Got married in Manila on the 28th of March at 3pm and were at the airport 9pm to go back to UK, same day. :biggrin: What were we thinking?! Of course we were dead tired the whole flight! I will be going back to Manila in July to process the spouse visa.

London_Manila
14th May 2014, 01:01
I have tried the first class section virgin trains to London from Wilmslow last year with my 2 best friends when they went to visit me here in the UK and we all loved it! You always get to see someone famous with those bound to London trains hahaha!

You must be rich :wink:

Michael Parnham
14th May 2014, 07:22
Michael, I never really enjoyed riding trains or buses, even when I was in Manila. I've always ridden a cab (hence my friends call me "taxi girl") because I felt safer in it. I only go on a train/bus/jeep if I had no choice. When I was in Singapore, trains were the only ride for me to go to work but never really enjoyed it other than the fast ride. I hate getting in a cramped train or bus, so I would always avoid it as much as possible. That's why I never got interested in riding a train or bus here. There's no train near us anyway (nearest is in Rhyl) and the bus goes in the village 2x a day only (one in the morning and one in the afternoon after office hours I guess) hahaha. :icon_lol: If Keith lose the car, I'd just call a taxi to get me to the shop, no choice anyway. :laugher:

It's got to be very rural where you live Rayna, but I'm sure it must be very nice, heaven to me! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
14th May 2014, 07:26

Do you mean, No Brain?

FilipinaDiver
14th May 2014, 08:21

Hahaha! As you know we don't have a good train system in Philippines so we saved up for it when we found out that we could take a train to London.

dontpushme
15th May 2014, 08:55
Hmm, never really thought of the challenge of making myself understood in the UK. I think I was too focused on trying to understand all the different accents when I moved over. I'm still working on it too.

Arthur Little
15th May 2014, 15:06

Ah, Rayna ... I can empathise with the way you feel about driving, as my dad tried to teach me to no avail when I was in my early twenties many moons ago. Indeed, I'm the ONLY adult male member of my entire family I can think of, who still hasn't "mastered that [to me] elusive art".

Now back then, it didn't really bother me all that much :NoNo: because I'd always been a keen cyclist ... :anerikke: ... relying on my bike to get me from 'A' to 'B' or 'wherever I wanted to go'.

Sadly, my late first wife, Iris - like her mother before her - developed rheumatoid arthritis (NOT Arthuritis, I hasten to add!) But she had long harboured the notion to drive and - aided by a combination of sheer willpower and determination - finally passed her test at the age of 34 in 1973. Whereas, me ... well ... :anerikke: ... I never even got to the stage of sitting a test in the first place.

Oh I did consider starting again from scratch - using a fast track method - after being widowed. But by then I was 51 ... "too old at that age", according to my mum - who promptly dismissed the very idea :icon_rolleyes: by saying I should have listened to my dad all those years previously, instead of trying to "run before I could walk" so to speak.

But, of course, you're still young, Rayna ... time is on your side. Speaking from personal experience, though (and no offence to Keith!) :nono-1-1: sometimes - rather than being taught by our nearest and dearest - it's a wise move to engage the services of an impartial outsider.

Here's wishing you the best of luck with your efforts ... whatever your next move in that respect. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

dontpushme
15th May 2014, 16:29
Speaking from personal experience, though (and no offence to Keith!) :nono-1-1: sometimes - rather than being taught by our nearest and dearest - it's a wise move to engage the services of an impartial outsider.

I think that's really good advice. It was hell for me when my dad tried to teach me to drive. I learned so much faster and it was way less stressful when I got a friend to take over the driving lessons.

Michael Parnham
15th May 2014, 16:53
Ah, Rayna ... I can empathise with the way you feel about driving, as my dad tried to teach me to no avail when I was in my early twenties many moons ago. Indeed, I'm the ONLY adult male member of my entire family I can think of, who still hasn't "mastered that [to me] elusive art".

Now back then, it didn't really bother me all that much :NoNo: because I'd always been a keen cyclist ... :anerikke: ... relying on my bike to get me from 'A' to 'B' or 'wherever I wanted to go'.

Sadly, my late first wife, Iris (like her mother before her) developed rheumatoid arthritis (NOT Arthuritis, I hasten to add!) But she'd long harboured the notion to drive and - aided by a combination of sheer willpower and perseverance - finally passed her test at the age of 34 in 1973. Whereas, me ... well ... :anerikke: ... I never even got to the stage of sitting a test in the first place.

Oh I did consider starting again from scratch - using a fast track method - after being widowed. But by then I was 51 ... "too old at that age", according to my mum - who promptly dismissed the very idea :icon_rolleyes: by saying I should have listened to my dad all those years previously, instead of trying to "run before I could walk" so to speak.

But, of course, you're still young, Rayna ... time is on your side. Speaking from personal experience, though (and no offence to Keith!) :nono-1-1: sometimes - rather than being taught by our nearest and dearest - it's a wise move to engage the services of an impartial outsider.

Here's wishing you the best of luck with your efforts ... whatever your next move in that respect. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

You should really use a professional instructer, because if you depend on relatives or friends you more than likely end up arguing!:furious3:

FilipinaDiver
15th May 2014, 18:02
I think that's really good advice. It was hell for me when my dad tried to teach me to drive. I learned so much faster and it was way less stressful when I got a friend to take over the driving lessons.

Hahaha!! I remember my first time to drive along Edsa, I had my 2 bestfriends with me in the car and they were busy making fun of me! While my Mom was holding a rosary! hahaha!! :Cuckoo:

Arthur Little
15th May 2014, 18:05
You should really use a professional instructer, because if you depend on relatives or friends you more than likely end up arguing!:furious3:

Precisely, Michael ... :yeahthat:'s exactly what happened with my dad and I! :icon_lol:

I later took a few lessons from a qualified instructor (:Erm: instructress, actually; the great-aunt of one of my friends) renowned locally among her former pupils for the high pass rate she churned-out. Alas - by my own admission, I was a rather impatient learner (as indicated in the fourth paragraph of my previous post) and, being fearful of my "ineptness" buggering up the poor woman's clutch, :biggrin: eventually decided to quit ... on the [mutual] assumption I'd never become a motorist. :bigcry:

End of story!

Arthur Little
15th May 2014, 18:36
Hahaha!! I remember my first time to drive along Edsa, I had my 2 bestfriends with me in the car and they were busy making fun of me! While my Mom was holding a rosary! hahaha!! :Cuckoo:

:laugher: ... bet you're a GREAT Filipina D(r)iver, though, and I want you to know how very much I value the rep you so kindly gave one
or other of my two earlier posts on this subject.

:thankyou:

stevewool
15th May 2014, 19:09
I could never learn Ems to drive, END OF! :doh:doh:doh:doh:doh

sars_notd_virus
15th May 2014, 20:45
It took a while to take the plunge and try and ride the bus here. Too scared that the driver might not understand what I'm saying, where I'm heading. I'm still cringing when crossing the street and to remind myself to look onto your RIGHT! not LEFT! and imagination would run into as stup!d as someone would shout 'Hey you foreigner! You don't even know how to cross the road!'. I'm also gaining confidence to say 'Sorry? and 'Pardon?' if I don't understand one of the various accents here. I know its all in my head that the barista and even those people queuing up would sharply turn their heads when I say 'large cappo staying in' with my strong american (as some Brits would call, Yankee). It became official that it was just my labyrinth-like imagination when nobody made a big deal when Rio Ferdinand and his kids went in to grab snacks, also, when Dwight Yorke picked up his take-away. I've calmed down a bit and settling here more as I need to accept that I have two homes now. Oh I miss my other home.

What are your own immigrant fears? How did you cope with it?

You'll be fine :biggrin:

As per my Immigrant fears?..None !!

Rosie1958
15th May 2014, 21:56

I agree due to my own experiences ........ my dad taught me when I was 17, we used to argue like cat and dog during a lesson and I used to pull over, get out of the driver's seat and sit in the back! :biggrin: I then decided to find an unrelated driving instructor, it only took 4 lessons to overcome the bad habits I picked up and I then passed my test :xxgrinning--00xx3:

On a happy note, my Filipina sister-in-law passed her driving test here in the UK last week, she is over-joyed and I am thrilled for her! :xxparty-smiley-050: She is now saving to buy a second hand car :drivingx:

stevewool
15th May 2014, 22:09
Once you have a car, you will never have any money. Use your legs and wish I did, but I love my car now :biggrin:

Rosie1958
15th May 2014, 23:06
I agree Steve and I am thankful that I have a full no claims bonus as car insurance would be mega expensive starting out as a new driver :transam-front-ramai

marksroomspain
15th May 2014, 23:46
Finally got my full driving licence today at the ripe old age of 43 after passing my test first time.

Now waiting for my new Nissan Qashqai to be delivered and have told the Mrs "I can't teach you to drive as I have to have had my full licence for at least 3 years".

Phew, what a relief...:laugher::biggrin:

London_Manila
16th May 2014, 01:22
Hahaha! As you know we don't have a good train system in Philippines so we saved up for it when we found out that we could take a train to London.

Walk up fares at all London terminals are extortionate

If you are ever going by train again always book it at least a couple of weeks in advance

Arthur Little
16th May 2014, 01:26
Finally got my full driving licence today at the ripe old age of 43 after passing my test first time.

:Hellooo: ... Congratulations and very well done, Mark! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Now waiting for my new Nissan Qashqai to be delivered and have told the Mrs "I can't teach you to drive as I have to have had my full licence for at least 3 years".

:smile: Happy motoring ... :drivingx:

Ha ... I'll bet! :wink:

Arthur Little
16th May 2014, 01:46

:cwm25: ... they're a :censored: "rip~off" everywhere in the UK! :doh

Arthur Little
16th May 2014, 01:56
If you are ever going by train again always book it at least a couple of weeks in advance

:gp: ... preferably through the 'Trainline'!

Michael Parnham
16th May 2014, 06:28

Congratulations on passing your driving test first time Mark, no easy feat these days, I passed my driving test when I was seventeen is was simple in those days. Once again Well done! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
16th May 2014, 07:19

:xxgrinning--00xx3: Well done :wink:

joebloggs
16th May 2014, 07:25

:xxgrinning--00xx3: My misses had been to London from Manchester a few times for exams a couple of years ago, off peak and bought online a ticket cost less than £70 return :wink:

sars_notd_virus
16th May 2014, 10:06
:xxgrinning--00xx3: My misses had been to London from Manchester a few times for exams a couple of years ago, off peak and bought online a ticket cost less than £70 return :wink:

A couple of months ago I bought a ticket from New Street to Swindon £40 one way lol nearly gave my hubby a heart attack :icon_lol:

dontpushme
16th May 2014, 19:15
... While my Mom was holding a rosary!

Did she kiss the ground as she got out of the car when you parked?:biggrin:

marksroomspain
16th May 2014, 23:13
Arthur, Michael, Joe great genuine guys thanks.....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
16th May 2014, 23:22
Arthur, Michael, Joe great genuine guys thanks.....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Mark ... thank you so much for your kind compliment and also for the rep - BOTH of which are greatly appreciated. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rosie1958
17th May 2014, 01:06

Great to hear that you have passed your driving test Michael!

Learning to drive and taking the test is such an expensive business these days. Enjoy your new car when you get it :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rosie1958
17th May 2014, 01:10

I don't often travel by train but didn't know that, thanks for the booking tip! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

London_Manila
17th May 2014, 01:22
:gp: ... preferably through the 'Trainline'!

Privatising the railways like the utilities and the recent Royal Mail saga only brings benefits to a few in the city

To most normal people it means eventually they will end up paying much more for these services

The Thatcher legacy goes on :NoNo:

London_Manila
17th May 2014, 01:27

Yes cheap fares can be found but you have to get in fast and online :smile:

Michael Parnham
17th May 2014, 06:18
Great to hear that you have passed your driving test Michael!

Learning to drive and taking the test is such an expensive business these days. Enjoy your new car when you get it :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I think you mean Mark, Rosie! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
17th May 2014, 08:00
Yes cheap fares can be found but you have to get in fast and online :smile:

It cost only £15 more to go first class one way (off peak)

I went with her a couple of times, no complaints about Virgin trains, except sometimes some :censored: would try and sit in the seats I reserved :mad:

SimonH
17th May 2014, 08:04
I had to go to Wilmslow near Manchester last month to pick up my new car and found it cheaper and quicker to fly from Heathrow than get the train :Erm:

Dedworth
17th May 2014, 16:30
The Thatcher legacy goes on :NoNo:

Why didn't it go away 1997 - 2010 :Erm:

London_Manila
19th May 2014, 00:02
Why didn't it go away 1997 - 2010 :Erm:

Apparently it was too expensive to reverse THATCHERS selling off the countries assets

Maybe you can inform us of all the benefits of the Tories mass privatisation program ?????