PDA

View Full Version : Visiting back in Philippines for surgery, advice please?

beauty4me
23rd June 2014, 06:53
Hi I'm Elizabeth, currently living in London and will be visiting back in Philippines for my scheduled cosmetic surgery in Greenhills, San Juan. I recently turned 25 and my parents surprised me with unexpected gift, a nose surgery (I've been saving for this for years). Has anyone from here ever undergone the same instance? Any advice is appreciated. :)

Michael Parnham
23rd June 2014, 13:40
Hope you're not making your nose like a westerner, because the Filipina nose is beautiful! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Slip
23rd June 2014, 14:11
Hope you're not making your nose like a westerner, because the Filipina nose is beautiful! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Harlene loves my nose and wishes she had one like it... of course I hate mine and love hers, that she hates!

grahamw48
23rd June 2014, 14:22
The first thing my lady's niece did (already a facebook friend) when she met me, was to ask to feel my nose . :icon_lol::cwm25:

grahamw48
23rd June 2014, 14:25
Only surgery I've had was getting it re-set after a big punch in the face. :cwm3:

General anaesthetic needed for it though.

imagine
23rd June 2014, 14:45
Calls me long nose :icon_lol: I prefer the Philippine nose, short and cute

aprilmaejon
23rd June 2014, 15:07
Harlene loves my nose and wishes she had one like it... of course I hate mine and love hers, that she hates!

Same for me and my husband. :laugher:

He loves my nose, I love his nose.

Steve.r
23rd June 2014, 16:04
Maybe the poor girl has a huge conk or a crooked one and wants it made to be like a real Filipina. Mine is bent after a skating accident on a river at 10 years old, I wish I could get mine straightened again, but I'm used to it now.

Doc Alan
23rd June 2014, 21:52
I have not undergone nose surgery, nor do you explain your reason(s) for wanting cosmetic surgery. However, I assume now you’re 25 you have given careful consideration before committing to this in the near future.

Medical and dental work is certainly cheaper in the Philippines compared to Europe and the USA. I believe the country has set an income target for $2 billion from medical tourism by next year, but it’s up against established " medical tourism " in countries such as Thailand, Singapore and Malaysia.

* Cosmetic surgery is different to reconstructive surgery ( the latter is for injury or illness ). It’s a major decision ; not usually available through the UK NHS ; time consuming ; expensive ; and even in the best hands, results can’t be guaranteed. Choose your surgeon and other healthcare professionals carefully ! At least in the UK, there are pathways for follow up treatment and complaints – if needed. It’s the surgeon’s responsibility for after – care, which may be required for many months after treatment.

* Consider the insurance arrangements the clinic or doctor may have ; travel and holiday insurance ; if something should go wrong during or after planned treatment abroad. Revision surgery may prove very costly at the destination where the original procedure was carried out, or difficult and possibly expensive to arrange back in the UK.

* A " nose job " – rhinoplasty - is a very common plastic surgery procedure, to increase or decrease the size, and change the shape, of the nose, possibly also correcting breathing difficulties. The procedure requires general anaesthetic and overnight hospital stay, and it will take 2 – 3 weeks for the inevitable bruising and swelling to go. There may be early nosebleeds and difficulty breathing.

It’s likely most patients will have reached the decision to have such cosmetic surgery themselves primarily, influenced to a greater or lesser degree by relatives, friends, and their surgeon. Even with the best surgeons, in a few patients ( perhaps 1 in 10 ), the nose does not " look right " . If a patient is not happy, a second operation may be needed – usually after a year, and obviously with additional expense. Only the patient can decide whether the surgery has had the desired effect for them.

I understand why you might choose the Philippines for the procedure, and would not judge why you consider it necessary. Best wishes to you :xxgrinning--00xx3: !

Hopefully this post ( with links below ) may be of help to you and other interested Forum members :smile:.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cosmetic-surgery/Pages/Introduction.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Treatmentabroad/Pages/Cosmeticsurgeryabroad.aspx

http://baaps.org.uk/procedures/rhinoplasty-reduction

http://www.beverlyhills.ph/procedures/rhinoplasty#backup

grahamw48
23rd June 2014, 22:08
Good stuff Alan. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Wish I could afford a blinkin facelift. :cwm3:

Michael Parnham
23rd June 2014, 22:15
I have not undergone nose surgery, nor do you explain your reason(s) for wanting cosmetic surgery. However, I assume now you’re 25 you have given careful consideration before committing to this in the near future.

Medical and dental work is certainly cheaper in the Philippines compared to Europe and the USA. I believe the country has set an income target for $2 billion from medical tourism by next year, but it’s up against established " medical tourism " in countries such as Thailand, Singapore and Malaysia.

* Cosmetic surgery is different to reconstructive surgery ( the latter is for injury or illness ). It’s a major decision ; not usually available through the UK NHS ; time consuming ; expensive ; and even in the best hands, results can’t be guaranteed. Choose your surgeon and other healthcare professionals carefully ! At least in the UK, there are pathways for follow up treatment and complaints – if needed. It’s the surgeon’s responsibility for after – care, which may be required for many months after treatment.

* Consider the insurance arrangements the clinic or doctor may have ; travel and holiday insurance ; if something should go wrong during or after planned treatment abroad. Revision surgery may prove very costly at the destination where the original procedure was carried out, or difficult and possibly expensive to arrange back in the UK.

* A " nose job " – rhinoplasty - is a very common plastic surgery procedure, to increase or decrease the size, and change the shape, of the nose, possibly also correcting breathing difficulties. The procedure requires general anaesthetic and overnight hospital stay, and it will take 2 – 3 weeks for the inevitable bruising and swelling to go. There may be early nosebleeds and difficulty breathing.

It’s likely most patients will have reached the decision to have such cosmetic surgery themselves primarily, influenced to a greater or lesser degree by relatives, friends, and their surgeon. Even with the best surgeons, in a few patients ( perhaps 1 in 10 ), the nose does not " look right " . If a patient is not happy, a second operation may be needed – usually after a year, and obviously with additional expense. Only the patient can decide whether the surgery has had the desired effect for them.

I understand why you might choose the Philippines for the procedure, and would not judge why you consider it necessary. Best wishes to you :xxgrinning--00xx3: !

Hopefully this post ( with links below ) may be of help to you and other interested Forum members :smile:.

Lots of good information again Alan, well done! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

bigmarco
23rd June 2014, 23:27

Another interesting read Doc and some interesting links. I didn't realise there are so many different procedures.

Steve.r
24th June 2014, 01:13
Great post thank you Alan :xxgrinning--00xx3:

FilipinaDiver
24th June 2014, 13:00
Hi I'm Elizabeth, currently living in London and will be visiting back in Philippines for my scheduled cosmetic surgery in Greenhills, San Juan. I recently turned 25 and my parents surprised me with unexpected gift, a nose surgery (I've been saving for this for years). Have anyone from here who undergone the same instance? Any advice is appreciated. :)

I just couldn't help myself but laugh because it is your parents who encouraged/paid your nose surgery. I have nothing against improving your looks and if nose job would make you look good and feel good, go for it!!!! My mom has this habit of pinching my nose all the time whenever I'm in the Philippines, she once told me that she cried when I was born, she couldn't believe that my nose is of like a pug's!!! You see, my mom is a quarter Spanish and her nose is of like a westerner. She was so grateful with all the saints above that my nose are now similar like hers.

Arthur Little
24th June 2014, 13:43
Hi I'm Elizabeth, currently living in London and will be visiting back in Philippines for my scheduled cosmetic surgery in Greenhills, San Juan. I recently turned 25 and my parents surprised me with unexpected gift, a nose surgery (I've been saving for this for years).

:welcomex:, Elizabeth ... clearly you're a young lady who "knows" what she wants! :smile:

So good luck with the "nose job". :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
24th June 2014, 14:09
Has anyone from here ever undergone the same instance? Any advice is appreciated. :)

Hmm :cwm25: ... good question! :biggrin: And it should be interesting to read the responses to it as the thread unfolds, :iagree:!

But personally ... if ever I'd the cash to splash out on cosmetic surgery (which ... :anerikke: ... at my time of life seems highly unlikely!) first thing I'd do is have my *eyebags removed. :grosyeux:

.............................. :yeahthat: Aye ... *they're unsightly - making me look even more of an :olddude: than I actually am.

Steve.r
24th June 2014, 14:46
I am calling TROLL because no return of this member

imagine
24th June 2014, 15:00
Maybe a nosey troll :icon_lol:

grahamw48
24th June 2014, 16:21
Steve has a nose for these things Stewart. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve.r
24th June 2014, 16:46
Ok ok........ I'm going to have to book up myself now

Arthur Little
24th June 2014, 16:58
I am calling TROLL because no return of this member

Well ... :anerikke: ... at least this thread's had entertainment value of sorts while it lasted.

:laugher: ... cheered me up a bit anyway!

Doc Alan
24th June 2014, 18:59
I have never understood why anyone would start a thread and then ignore the responses :doh.

Whether or not this original poster is a troll, my post was an attempt to inform any member who might be interested. Thanks Graham, Michael, Steve and Marco – you made my effort worthwhile :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Steve.r
25th June 2014, 03:42
I have never understood why anyone would start a thread and then ignore the responses :doh.

Whether or not this original poster is a troll, my post was an attempt to inform any member who might be interested. Thanks Graham, Michael, Steve and Marco – you made my effort worthwhile :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

I don't understand either Alan. Not even a word of thanks from some people.

I know that you always strive to give concise and up to date factual advice in your medical posts Alan that takes time and effort to compose. But even though the OP has not returned at least we as a forum are more informed about the subject now, so thank you for that. :smile: