PDA

View Full Version : Won lotto raffle question?

belle29
24th July 2014, 17:19
Hi all just a quick question, my friend won on a lotto raffle for £20k, does she need to tell the goverment about it or not? She just wants to know if this won't affect her benefit? Thanks in advance x

Terpe
24th July 2014, 17:49
Strictly speaking your friend is under obligation to inform the authorities about any changes in circumstances.
Whether or not benefits will be impacted depends on specific benefits and specific personal circumstances.

I'd suggest your friend visits their local CAB asap to secure the best advice based on their personal circumstances.

Michael Parnham
24th July 2014, 17:55
Hi all just a quick question, my friend won on a lotto raffle for £20k, does she need to tell the goverment about it or not? She just want to know if this wont affect her benefit? Thanks in advance x
I think if you are claiming Benefit it wont make any difference if your savings are less than £16,000, so it should be easy to dispose of £4000. If she's a Filipina she could transfer the money to a trusted family member and use it later to build a nice home for her retirement!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

belle29
24th July 2014, 17:59
Hi she doesn't have much money in her saving only relying on her husband's salary every month and saving less than 1k. Thanks x

belle29
24th July 2014, 18:02
Hi Terpe thanks can I please have more details about CAB? Thanks x

belle29
24th July 2014, 18:19
Hi Terpe sorted now about CAB details, thanks x

Dedworth
24th July 2014, 18:40
I'd tell her to beware because if she doesn't declare her change in financial circumstances and gets informed on it could result in a prison sentence

For anyone interested the grass 'em up website is

https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/benefitfraud/ :wink: