PDA

View Full Version : "Ting Tong" Controversy

Anakin
19th August 2014, 19:08
Not sure if anyone picked up on it, but yesterday in Kent a UKIP MEP left her microphone on (oops) and was heard to call a Thai lady "a ting tong."
Here's a link -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11042218/Ukip-MEP-apologises-for-calling-Thai-party-member-a-ting-tong.html

The BBC were inevitably onto it like an attack dog and on our local news gave it a massively disproportionate airing, whilst getting the "academic" opinion of some obscure professor at Kent University who clearly reveled in grinding his anti UKIP axe.

Long before I ever had a Filipino wife I found Little Britain's character to be racist, but hey ho it's a BBC comedy program!

Interesting that an expression that sprung from a BBC show offends them so much!

Dedworth
19th August 2014, 19:12
I never knew that came from a BBC show - puts a different slant (no offence meant) on the Top Gear "Slope" furore and them not showing "It ain't half hot Mum". Still, we know where the BBC gets it's hypocrisy from

joebloggs
19th August 2014, 19:31
Yes it was used in Little Britain (I've posted about it a few times on here). My misses thinks it's funny thou, but I think it is a Thai word meaning wacky, crazy etc.

les_taxi
19th August 2014, 19:35
Wacky, crazy?? Wow, blimey, we might as well not allow a sense of humour now as its non-pc :doh

joebloggs
19th August 2014, 19:37
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R5oI3RGunk

The Philippines gets a mention too! :xxparty-smiley-004:

joebloggs
19th August 2014, 19:40
Wacky,crazy?? Wow, blimey, we might as well not allow a sense of humour now as it's non pc :doh

Maybe she got it from watching little Britain :NoNo:

and not a Thai dictionary :wink:

Ting tong
Thai for stupid / idiot.
thai : i ting tong!.

English: You idiot!

And the only ting tong is her :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Anakin
19th August 2014, 20:28
LOL never seen that video before.

raynaputi
19th August 2014, 20:49
I love watching Little Britain! It never fails to make me laugh so much! :icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
19th August 2014, 20:53
Ems loves it too

Michael Parnham
19th August 2014, 20:57
Watched Little Britain for the very first time on Sunday, it's the most racist program I have ever seen on television and I loved it. I don't think it could offend anyone as it's so very funny! Btw all my little smilies have disappeared Keith!

SimonH
20th August 2014, 06:05
I think maybe Ting-Tong is Louis's made up girlfriend, or maybe it's Tong-Ting :icon_lol:

tiger31
20th August 2014, 10:18
Before I flew out here, one of my friends said to me, "so you,re off to visit your ting tong gf?" I didn,t find it offensive, I just laughed, me being the Brit I am. It,s our sense of humour, but as usual it gets attacked by the liberals and politically correct people of the world. You only have to watch our comedians, they are too scared to say the wrong thing these days. They are becoming extinct. I get called a Jock, Irish get called Paddy and so on, so what,s the problem?

Michael Parnham
20th August 2014, 10:35
Before I flew out here, one of my friends said to me, "so your off to visit your ting tong gf?" I didn,t find it offensive. I just laughed, me being the Brit I am. It,s our sense of humour, but as usual it gets attacked by the liberals and politically correct people of the world. You only have to watch our comedians, they are too scared to say the wrong thing these days. They are becoming extinct. I get called a Jock, Irish get called Paddy and so on, so what,s the problem?

Same here Brian, don't find it offensive. First came across Ting Tong because Maritess said that some of the Staff at her work called her Ting Tong and asked her if she had seen Little Britain on tv, so on Sunday we watched it and never stopped laughing! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jentobeharrison
20th August 2014, 14:09
Same here, I as the woman - Asian woman - don't really find that offensive. First, I do not really know the gravity of that word and second my fiance already told me that. Good thing his friends and family are too decent to say that word - although, I'm not sure if
they even know the word.

grahamw48
20th August 2014, 14:29
Do you know what is the most INSULTING aspect of this nonsense ?

It's the assumption by the 'pc' brigade that certain foreigners/ethnic minorities have no sense of humour, no sense of proportion, and no understanding of British 'tongue in cheek'.

Now THAT is an insult.

BBC (Bullshit Broadcasting Corporation) ...stop the mischievous pot-stirring ! :mad:

Arthur Little
20th August 2014, 19:03
I think maybe Ting-Tong is Louis's made up girlfriend, or maybe it's Tong-Ting :icon_lol:

Nah :NoNo: ... she's no longer his 'Ting a Ling' by all accounts. :bigcry:

grahamw48
20th August 2014, 22:16
She probably took exception to him showing her his Ding a Ling. :cwm25:

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag455/grahamw58/groin-kick-smiley-emoticon_zpsde9468fd.gif