PDA

View Full Version : Drivers

stevewool
28th August 2014, 07:43
Most people drive these days so there are lots on the road and maybe we class ourselves as the best drivers around.

But we are not, we all make mistakes and a little wave or a sorry goes a long way, but I think today's drivers blame the other person no matter what and they all want to fight you too.

Pet hates for me is someone driving right up your :action-smiley-081:, and those people who try to get into the gap that is not there until you have to make it.

That's better! :doh:doh:doh

SimonH
28th August 2014, 07:53
:cwm23::cwm23::cwm23: Don't get me started on driving :mad:

MLM's Middle Lane Morons, those :censored:ing inconsiderate idiots who insist on driving in the middle lane on the motorway. The inside lane is the one you use for driving you :censored:ing morons!!! I've had arguments with people who seriously think that the inside lane is for lorries or when you're coming off at the next junction.

I could go on............... :Brick:

les_taxi
28th August 2014, 08:26

MLM's Middle Lane Morons, those :censored:ing inconsiderate idiots who insist on driving in the middle lane on the motorway. The inside lane is the one you use for driving you :censored:ing morons, I've had arguments with people who seriously think that the inside lane is for lorries or when you're coming off at the next junction.

:cwm25: Never done it, honest :biggrin:

les_taxi
28th August 2014, 09:20
I confess to being a 'middle lane driver' and the reasons why.

No way am I going to sit behind a load of wagons, or old biddies doing 50mph when I have to get my customers - or simply me - to the airport etc.

It's much more dangerous to be in and out of the inside lane. By definition, you are creating a greater chance for error/accidents in the number of moves you would need to take - probably hundreds on a long journey.

I'm basically in the middle lane doing about 80-85mph. There is nothing too close behind me - or in front - as I leave decent gaps. Anyone bombing it, simply overtakes me in the outside lane.

I don't see anything wrong with that at all - it's how we've done it for years.

The law says that's wrong - I say the law is wrong and I will further add: What is much more dangerous is opening hard shoulders for traffic to use at busy times. What if some poor bugger has broken down and the camera's not picked it up? :yikes:!

I would agree more if the middle lane idiot is doing 50 and you can't get out of your inside lane to overtake.

Michael Parnham
28th August 2014, 16:27
The nearside lane is for regular driving and the other two lanes are for overtaking only, also when driving round roundabouts I was taught no way should you overtake on a roundabout; also you shouldn't indicate on roundabouts, as the vehicle in front can only proceed left off the roundabout and that is the way I was told to drive when taking my driving test! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
28th August 2014, 18:28
The nearside lane is for regular driving and the other two lanes are for overtaking only

I'm ok then, as I'm overtaking everyone in the nearside lane :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
28th August 2014, 19:33
Most people drive these days

'fraid I don't, Steve! :NoNo: ... perhaps it's just as well ... :anerikke: ... especially in the light of what you - and others - have reported above! :cwm25:

SimonH
28th August 2014, 19:56
90% of the time I'm in agreement with you Les, but on this occasion :cwm23:

I confess to being a 'middle lane driver' and the reasons why.

No way am i going to sit behind a load of wagons, or old biddies doing 50mph when I have to get my customers - or simply me - to the airport etc.

It's much more dangerous to be in and out of the inside lane. By defintion you are creating a greater chance for error/accidents in the number of moves you would need to take - probably hundreds on a long journey.

So you're a professional driver but can't judge speeds or distances :Erm:

basically in the middle lane doing about 80-85mph. There is nothing too close behind me - or in front - as I leave decent gaps. Anyone bombing it, simply overtakes me in the outside lane.

I don't see anything wrong with that at all - it's how we've done it for years.

Who's we? :Erm: The law also says that doing 80-85mph is wrong :cwm25:

The law says that's wrong - I say the law is wrong and I will further add: What is much more dangerous is opening hard shoulders for traffic to use at busy times. What if some poor bugger has broken down and the camera's not picked it up? :yikes:!

I would agree more if the middle lane idiot is doing 50 and you can't get out of your inside lane to overtake.

If you don't leave a big enough gap to stop if someone is stationary when you approach, then you deserve to have your licence taken away from you :NoNo:

stevewool
28th August 2014, 20:15
Its funny about the outside lane - when there is a hold up on any motorway, everyone jumps into the outside lane following the lorries.

raynaputi
28th August 2014, 20:31

MLM's Middle Lane Morons, those :censored:ing inconsiderate idiots who insist on driving in the middle lane on the motorway. The inside lane is the one you use for driving you :censored:ing morons!!! I've had arguments with people who seriously think that the inside lane is for lorries or when you're coming off at the next junction.

Keith hates the same types of drivers! :icon_lol: Yesterday there was one while we're on the road going to Liverpool. She's driving in the middle lane and the other drivers are already undertaking her because she won't move.

les_taxi
28th August 2014, 20:46
90% of the time I'm in agreement with you Les, but on this occasion :cwm23:

So you're a professional driver but can't judge speeds or distances :Erm:

Who's we :Erm: The law also says that doing 80-85mph is wrong :cwm25:

If you don't leave a big enough gap to stop if someone is stationary when you approach then you deserve to have your licence taken away from you :NoNo:

Sorry Simon, disagree with you 100%

Ok, of course I can judge speed and distances, I'm pointing out a simple fact that pulling in and out over what may be a 4 hour-8 hour journey - or any journey - would definitely lead to more chance of driver error.

I don't know what motorways you drive on Simon, but on the M1, M62 and A1, you get very few people doing 70mph dead on. We are talking realism here.

For many years, the AA and other credible motoring organisations have said the speed limit is too low - look at Germany - where there is or was no speed limit on the Autobahn's.

I would say at least 70% of motorists go faster than 70mph.

Regarding you third point; of course that's true, but again in the real world, many drivers do not leave enough of a gap - I do.

les_taxi
28th August 2014, 20:47
Keith hates the same types of drivers! Yesterday there was one while we're on the road going to Liverpool. She's driving in the middle lane and the other drivers are already undertaking her because she won't move.

Totally agree - the inside lane was made for her. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
28th August 2014, 20:49
Funny you very rarely see any cops on the motorway now, unless there is an accident - then you cannot move because they are everywhere

les_taxi
28th August 2014, 20:51
There will be more now as there is money to be made trying to nab me:icon_lol:

stevewool
28th August 2014, 20:55
Come next month there will be that many vosa around pulling up lorry drivers everywhere to make sure they have their CPC cards.

That's where the money will be made, mark my words.

splitpin
28th August 2014, 21:31
So pleased I stopped distance driving 4 years ago, it was just getting so bad, now just jog around a steelworks loading trailers all night long, no vosa to worry about.

Slip
28th August 2014, 21:36
Vosa are very active outside my work.... You would be surprised at the amount of lorries that get ticketed for defects!

Michael Parnham
28th August 2014, 21:47

Ok, of course I can judge speed and distances, I'm pointing out a simple fact that pulling in and out over what may be a 4 hour-8 hour journey - or any journey - would definitely lead to more chance of driver error.

I don't know what motorways you drive on Simon, but on the M1, M62 and A1, you get very few people doing 70mph dead on. We are talking realism here.

For many years, the AA and other credible motoring organisations have said the speed limit is too low - look at Germany - where there is or was no speed limit on the Autobahn's.

Regarding you third point; of course that's true, but again in the real world, many drivers do not leave enough of a gap - I do.

I do no more than 60 on motorways! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
28th August 2014, 21:48
So pleased i stopped distance driving 4 years ago, it was just getting so bad, now just jog around a steelworks loading trailers all night long, no vosa to worry about.
Do you work in sunny Scunny?

alanp
28th August 2014, 21:50
Come next month there will be that many vosa around pulling up lorry drivers everywhere to make sure they have there CPC cards.

That's where the money will be made mark my words

What a pain the CPC is Steve. I finally got my card last month.

Now I have to make sure I have yet another card with me when I am at work.

And how many of our fellow European HGV drivers have done the CPC?

splitpin
28th August 2014, 22:06
Yes I do, Michael.

splitpin
28th August 2014, 22:10
Did you learn anything on the CPC course?

:Brick:, I certainly didn't! Just more confusion. My wallet has no money in it but plenty of cards now:

Driver Card, Tacho Card, cards galore.

Ako Si Jamie
28th August 2014, 22:37
What is much more dangerous is opening hard shoulders for traffic to use at busy times. What if some poor bugger has broken down and the camera's not picked it up? :yikes:!

What are the rules for the hard shoulder where they can be opened for traffic? Because they're not clear cut. I've seen motorists drive down them when the signs aren't working.

Because of this, I thought it was allowed. I did it myself about half a mile before I was due to turn off and came across a broken-down car. No red crosses, nothing.

Fortunately I saw him well in advance.

grahamw48
28th August 2014, 23:07
I just wish you lot would get a move on ! :drivingx: :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8pByU4LWFI

grahamw48
28th August 2014, 23:21
Hardest thing about driving a TVR is NOT looking like you're showing off. :icon_lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgbXPPVqbCI

Michael Parnham
29th August 2014, 05:48
Yes I do, Michael.

You'll remember CLS Transport then! :Erm:

London_Manila
29th August 2014, 05:54
Most people drive these days so there are lots on the road and maybe we class ourselves as the best drivers around.

But we are not, we all make mistakes and a little wave or a sorry goes a long way, but I think today's drivers blame the other person no matter what and they all want to fight you too.

Pet hates for me is someone driving right up your :action-smiley-081:, and those people who try to get into the gap that is not there until you have to make it.

That's better! :doh:doh:doh

You have to drive bumper to bumper in London - because if you don't, people will cut in on you all the time.

London_Manila
29th August 2014, 05:56

I just go down the inside lane and that normally wakes them up :wink:

SimonH
29th August 2014, 06:14

On your first point, I couldn't disagree more. Driving properly, using lane discipline and keeping a safe distance will keep your brain alert as opposed to sitting in the middle lane with not much to concentrate on.

Mainly drive on the M4, M25 and M40 except when I'm going up tut north :wink:

There's no way you can draw a comparison between a German autobahn and a British motorway.

I drive a 5ltr supercharged V8, with over 500BHP, you have a guess at what speed I travel at :xxgrinning--00xx3:

mickcant
29th August 2014, 06:41
After driving for 40 years - and having had many cars in that time - I have now sold my car and am trying to see if I miss it so much I need another.

I look back at my early driving days with good memories of what would now be called "old bangers" that I repaired and rebuilt, :transam-front-ramai starting with a Bond 3 wheeler that had a 2 stroke motor cycle engine in it.

Then I had 2 1950 side valve type Ford Anglias that I put the number plate on the one I had going! :biggrin:

I find no fun in driving these days though.
Mick. :olddude:

les_taxi
29th August 2014, 08:00
On your first point, I couldn't disagree more. Driving properly, using lane discipline and keeping a safe distance will keep your brain alert as opposed to sitting in the middle lane with not much to concentrate on.

Mainly drive on the M4, M25 and M40 except when I'm going up tut north :wink:

There's no way you can draw a comparison between a German autobahn and a British motorway.

I drive a 5ltr supercharged V8, with over 500BHP, you have a guess at what speed I travel at :xxgrinning--00xx3:

When I'm in middle lane there is nothing that near me, my concentration is taking over slower people than me in middle lane. I do keep a safe distance but will always disagree with you about going in and out of inside lane time after time - for one thing, some people don't even indicate they are pulling out, so I'm indicating - the car behind me soes not notice it and he pulls out same time as me :yikes:
Meanwhile, if I'm in centre lane driving at a steady speed, keeping safe distance I'm a hindrance to no-one :xxgrinning--00xx3:

SimonH
29th August 2014, 08:09
We're going to have to agree to differ on this one Les :xxgrinning--00xx3:

You agree that you're breaking the law, but think that the law is wrong and I'll agree that you're a MLM :biggrin:

Trefor
29th August 2014, 08:29
I enjoy driving, and while there are plenty of bad drivers I treat spotting them and avoiding them as a kind of sport to keep my interest on long journeys. Once you drive somewhere like the Philippines or the Middle East you realise our drivers are generally very good. I have to re-condition myself when I get back to stop my just pulling out in front of traffic into tiny gaps etc (not to inconvenience, I accelerate and don't cause them to change course).

Doing 80-85mph in the middle lane is much better than going slow and being a mobile chicane, but to me changing into lane 1, then back to lane 2/3 on a long journey keeps me awake and alert to the traffic around me. I also find cruising along at 70mph (which I do when I'm not late - but in lane 1 where appropriate) makes me less alert to my surroundings.

The trick these days is to relax and drive to the conditions of the traffic - my office commute is 100 miles each way (luckily I get paid mileage and only go there once a week or so - I'm normally driving to an airport at 5am or working from home). On my office commute if I'm not late I will put the cruise control on and do 70ish all the way (M1/A43/M40), if I'm late I'll do 90ish. If it is a late evening return with minimal traffic I sometimes put the cruise control on at a much higher speed.

I don't have a problem driving in London, but then I'm never late for anything when I do so (I take the train in for work).

Btw, I learned to drive in Scunthorpe - hated doing the hill starts!

les_taxi
29th August 2014, 08:50
We're going to have to agree to differ on this one Les :xxgrinning--00xx3:

You agree that you're breaking the law, but think that the law is wrong and I'll agree that you're a MLM :biggrin:

Ok. We will disagree of course on this one and the truth is I accept I am wrong, but also I have many occasions where customers .... up and say please get me to wherever as fast as you can or I will miss my plane, train etc. I could not doddle about - they would not appreciate it. I have a 7 year old nearly 200,000 taxi that still looks like new :xxgrinning--00xx3:

The law is definitely wrong on this IMO :biggrin:

KeithD
29th August 2014, 08:59
Les. As your job relies on you having a license, I would have thought you would be more responsible when driving. I wouldn't put my career at risk if it was me.

splitpin
29th August 2014, 09:14
You'll remember CLS Transport then! :Erm:

Yes I do, very much so. I now work for the company that bought them out - still have some machinery with CLS on the side.

How do you know them Michael?

Michael Parnham
29th August 2014, 11:00
Been in the transport industry all my life. Ask some of the older drivers if they remember Clugston Transport, John Dee of Ferryhill, Wyatts of Diss (Fridged Freight), Claben Of Aberdeen, Hayden Coulthard (David Coulthard's Dad), Murfitt Transport Littleport (Norfolk Line), I could go on forever. It was a great life when I was driving and I really enjoyed it. Don't think it's the same these days! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
29th August 2014, 12:13
I can just drive like a hooligan in my front room. :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te9_9DtJ9XI

les_taxi
29th August 2014, 12:27
Les. As your job relies on you having a license, I would have thought you would be more responsible when driving. I wouldn't put my career at risk if it was me.

I only have 3 speeding points. I don't go like a bat out of hell all the time - but when I need to put my foot down, as long as it's safe, I do so. Most taxi drivers are the same but some don't indicate, leave safe gaps or anticipate.

I had a police - don't know what the term is - good driving praise once too for skillfully avoiding a pedestrian who stepped out onto the road at the last second.

Like I said, if you were a Taxi driver with a job to do, you would not last 5 mins tootling along in the inside lane down to London :icon_lol:

Anyway, I'm Baddass :biggrin:

splitpin
29th August 2014, 16:14
I remember all of those myself, my father worked for Clugstons for 12 years, then I went to them at the age of 22, on tippers flats and powder tankers. Was with them for 22 years, left 4 years ago to go shunting on nightshift and I will probably be loading an old Norfolkline trailer tonight. I'm sure I've loaded dolomite out of Ferryhill.

Been in the transport industry all my life. Ask some of the older drivers if they remember Clugston Transport, John Dee of Ferryhill, Wyatts of Diss (Fridged Freight), Claben Of Aberdeen, Hayden Coulthard (David Coulthard's Dad), Murfitt Transport Littleport (Norfolk Line), I could go on forever. It was a great life when I was driving and I really enjoyed it. Don't think it's the same these days! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
29th August 2014, 16:57
I remember all of those myself, my father worked for clugstons for 12 year, then i went to them at the age of 22, on tippers flats and powder tankers, was with them for 22 years, left 4 years ago to go shunting on nightshift and i will probably be loading an old norfolkline trailer tonight. Im sure ive loaded dolomite out of ferryhill.

That took some following for someone not in the trade :icon_lol:

les_taxi
29th August 2014, 17:03
A typical forum driver :icon_lol:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/lestaxi1/turn-coming-in-mile-so-slow-down-now-meme.jpg (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/lestaxi1/media/turn-coming-in-mile-so-slow-down-now-meme.jpg.html)

splitpin
29th August 2014, 17:11
That took some following for someone not in the trade :icon_lol:

My apology for that, Les. :biggrin:

Ako Si Jamie
4th September 2014, 20:15
The middle lane drivers aren't half as bad as those who chug along at 40mph on a 60mph single carriageway. At least on the motorway you can overtake in an instant.

grahamw48
4th September 2014, 22:36
Well of course up until the (late?) 70s it was a 70mph general national limit, no 56mph limiters on trucks, HALF the number of vehicles on the roads, and probably 75% less SLOW DITHERING WOMEN DRIVERS, who are it appears, incapable of overtaking, even where there is the occasional uncluttered length of road ! :mad:

I could drive from York to London in less time in my old MK3 Cortina back in the 70s than is usually possible in today's super duper speedy easy-drive cars.

les_taxi
4th September 2014, 23:00
I do Harrogate to Cockfoster's (Barnet) in 3 hours each way - only on a good day - about 400 miles' round trip

grahamw48
4th September 2014, 23:06
Rather you than me Les...these days.

I used to enjoy driving once upon a time.

les_taxi
5th September 2014, 00:14
I still do, just the traffic I hate :biggrin:

Michael Parnham
5th September 2014, 06:45
Used to do Scotch Corner to Penrith in the 70s fully laden with an F86 in 55mins! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
5th September 2014, 09:49
I remember doing 90 on the M1 in a Bedford TK Michael...pre-limiter/tacho days. :biggrin:

Never did drive an F86, in fact this is the only type of Volvo truck I've driven. Not so good on the motorways....but will go anywhere else. :smile:

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag455/grahamw58/MytruckHK_zps77073575.jpg

Michael Parnham
5th September 2014, 12:04
I remember doing 90 on the M1 in a Bedford TK Michael...pre-limiter/tacho days. :biggrin:

Never did drive an F86, in fact this is the only type of Volvo truck I've driven. Not so good on the motorways....but will go anywhere else. :smile:

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag455/grahamw58/MytruckHK_zps77073575.jpg

Good times Graham, the days when drivers used to help one another!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
5th September 2014, 15:08
Yep...and race each other ! lol :biggrin: