PDA

View Full Version : Great news - we can bring our wives to Ireland without a visa !!

eddiek
28th September 2014, 00:07
Hi guys,

Just found this out today - great news for me, as I'm Irish, and Levin won't need an additional visa to travel back (on holidays) to Ireland with me!:

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/transport-and-tourism/minister-announces-joint-irish-british-visa-plan-1.1943363#.VCckb4uuWRw.facebook

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
28th September 2014, 00:54
Your wife could already do that.

You do not need a visa to land in Ireland if you are a family member of an EU citizen and you hold a Residence card of a family member.

Holders of a residence card of a family member may also travel to EU without the need of a Schengen Visa

eddiek
28th September 2014, 10:31
Thanks for letting me know, Terpe.

So myself and Levin can travel throughout all EU member states without any additional visa?

However British citizens with non-EU spouses require a visa to travel within the EU, outside of UK?

Wow!

Thanks for sharing!

You do not need a visa to land in Ireland if you are a family member of an EU citizen and you hold a Residence card of a family member.

Holders of a residence card of a family member may also travel to EU without the need of a Schengen Visa

mike1
29th September 2014, 17:17

Yeah, but when she gets Permanent Residence after 5 years, she will need a visa as the PR has not got the wording ".... family member of an EEA national" on it. :Erm: Very strange

Terpe
29th September 2014, 22:10
Yeah, but when she gets Permanent Residence after 5 years, she will need a visa as the PR has not got the wording ".... family member of an EEA national" on it. :Erm: Very strange!

That's not my understanding Mike.

Where did you get that information?

The only requirement is for:-

Residence card of a family member of a Union citizen

Arthur Little
29th September 2014, 23:04

"Luck of the :irish:" or indeed ... :anerikke: ... any other non~British EU citizen!

mike1
29th September 2014, 23:14
That's not my understanding Mike.

Where did you get that information?

That was from the Irish Embassy last year, and they were insistent on it.

We also went to Portugal last year. When we were returning they asked for the Schengen Visa in Portugal. Luckily I had a printout from their Government website stating spouses of EEA nationals who were in possession of PR were allowed to accompany them without restriction - but without that I think I would have been there a lot longer explaining!

Not all European countries recognize the PR sticker for what it is.