PDA

View Full Version : Online dating scams: new tricks that fleece victims of an average '£9,589'

joebloggs
3rd October 2014, 20:55
Nearly £10k! :NoNo:

Singletons sign up to online dating sites in the hope of finding love, but they are increasingly being targeted by fraudsters.

Read more here ......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/11113769/Online-dating-scams-new-tricks-that-fleece-victims-of-an-average-9589.html

Ako Si Jamie
5th October 2014, 00:57
Going by those figures the fraudsters are making nearly 90k a day, if my maths are correct. Astonishing! :yikes:

stevewool
5th October 2014, 09:11
Are these people silly people or just madly in love.

Terpe
5th October 2014, 09:30
Are these people silly people or just madly in love,

Often the two go hand-in-hand :wink:

stevewool
5th October 2014, 09:40
Often the two go hand-in-hand :wink:

True Peter, i am glad i have very deep pockets

Michael Parnham
5th October 2014, 11:54
I paid Maritess University fees, but it wasn't much and she never asked, it was me who offered and it helped her parents!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

tiger31
5th October 2014, 13:03
most of these scams are from nigeria they are the capital of scammers .

Terpe
5th October 2014, 14:58
most of these scams are from nigeria they are the capital of scammers .

Plenty of 'home grown' UK scammers too........

grahamw48
5th October 2014, 15:21
So far it has yielded me very little money. I must be doing something wrong. :Erm:

Terpe
5th October 2014, 15:33
So far it has yielded me very little money. I must be doing something wrong. :Erm:

You need to raise your profile and get featured on that BBC programme 'Saints and Scroungers' or 'Rip-off Britain' :biggrin:

Arthur Little
5th October 2014, 16:26
Are these people silly people or just madly in love?

Silly? Well ... :anerikke: ... put it this way, they seem to have [a lot] more money than sense!

Madly in love? I doubt it; :nono-1-1: ... realistically, how can someone claim to "love" another person :icon_rolleyes: if he/she hasn't met the "object of his/her affections"? Infatuated, perhaps ... but not "in love".

Infatuation - bordering on obsessiveness - can cause people to act in a :crazy:, often irrational, manner ... like becoming unwittingly hooked on dating sites.

Ako Si Jamie
5th October 2014, 18:47
You'd have thought that dozens of scamming stories concerning online dating highlighted in the press would act as a warning to these people but obviously not. :anerikke:

joebloggs
5th October 2014, 19:04
I think many are groomed over a long time period where some kind of trust is built up.

I doubt many just sent £9k after a few chats :cwm25:

Ako Si Jamie
6th October 2014, 13:36
Soon as the scammer has reeled their victim in due to their infatuation is when the process starts. Can be as early as a couple of weeks.