PDA

View Full Version : Greek Marble Meddling...

grahamw48
17th October 2014, 17:00
I like this report. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tell you what Mrs Clooney. If Greece repays its $240 billion EU loan, we’ll return the Marbles

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/culturehousedaily/2014/10/tell-you-what-mrs-clooney-if-greece-repays-its-240-billion-of-emergency-eu-loan-well-return-the-marbles/

Dedworth
17th October 2014, 17:06
I'd never heard of this woman before she married the yank - she's some sort of publicly funded do gooder human rights lawyer

Iani
18th October 2014, 08:58
I'm half leaning towards the Greeks on this one - I'll explain.....

It wasn't the Greek government who sold these in the first place - it was a hated occupier, the Turks.

To put it in our perspective, imagine We'd been invaded for a few hundred years by someone we didn't like. They turned Westminster Abbey into a munitions storage area, which got blown up, say the Canadians (A third party, who the Brits don't hate, like Greeks don't literally hate the British, in fact they know many upper class Brits took on their cause for independence from the Ottomans), then came along and bought the Abbey statues to cart off to a museum in Vancouver.

So fast forward to now, the Brits got their independence, kicked the invaders out, demolished the mosque they'd built inside the ruins of Westminster Abbey and done the place up. Can you imagine the British government not saying please can we have our statues back? It wasn't us who sold them.

The Greeks have built a museum especially to house them, perhaps...........just perhaps.....it would be "right" to consider giving them back? I don't really have much of an opinion either way tbh. Would have thought Greece right now has bigger issues to worry about

grahamw48
18th October 2014, 09:16
Thanks for your thoughts on it.

Lots of good points there. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I previously knew very little about the background to the affair.
Perhaps it's the prospect of setting a precedent that worries those who are empowered to meet the request though.

Who else in the world will be demanding their stuff back ? :Erm: :cwm25: