PDA

View Full Version : British citizenship for my daughter?

robert78
9th November 2007, 18:42
Hello,

I was born in the UK and also hold an UK passport, but grew up in an other country. I'm unmarried and father of a 2006 in the Philippines born daughter, mother is a Filipina and lives together with my daughter in the Philippines.

How can my daughter geht British citizenship?

What if I marry my the mother (my girlfriend) in 2008? Will my daughter get British citizenship automatically?

Thanks for your help!

Robert

LadyJ
9th November 2007, 19:30
Robert, that has been discussed here before, I suggest you SEARCH 'illegitimate' in this forum and/or read the British EMbassy website http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk. Anymore question feel free to ask. Goodluck!

robert78
9th November 2007, 20:01
Thank you LadyJ!

robert78
9th November 2007, 20:08
LadyJ, can you find it out for me?

Thank you!

Tiggers0608
9th November 2007, 20:32
Hello,

I was born in the UK and also hold an UK passport, but grew up in an other country. I'm unmarried and father of a 2006 in the Philippines born daughter, mother is a Filipina and lives together with my daughter in the Philippines.

How can my daughter geht British citizenship?

What if I marry my the mother (my girlfriend) in 2008? Will my daughter get British citizenship automatically?

Thanks for your help!

Robert

hi welcome to the forum,

you can check the british embassy manila for the requirements of your daughter to acquired british citizenship. It's a lot of work and expensive but it will be worth everything, but i think you really need to discuss it with your gf, coz if your child become a british citizen, your daughter will not be allowed to stay in the phils for a longer period of time unless she will have dual citizenship. but thats just my opinion, the right thing to do is visit the british embassy website and you can e-mail them your concerns :BouncyHappy:

good luck

Tiggers0608
9th November 2007, 20:37
What if I marry the mother (my girlfriend) in 2008? Will my daughter get British citizenship automatically?

Robert

The answer is NO. :NoNo:

LadyJ
10th November 2007, 01:02
My first question is

are you named on the child's birth certificate? You must answer YES to this question.

Your child born illegitimate and application must be made to the British Embassy Manila.

Illegitimate or Legitimated Children born from 01 July 2006 does not need to undergo HO registration, provided the British parent (father) should be on the Child’s birth certificate and child should be registered within a year from the date of birth with the NSO. Otherwise, additional proof is required.

CHILD BORN ILLEGITIMATE
(But Legitimated by Parents’ subsequent Marriage). Application is filed in the Embassy but will be referred to Nationality and Passports Section, Foreign and Commonwealth Office, London for decision.

1. Document 1, 2, 3 and 4 enumerated above;
2. Completed Consular Birth Registration form;
3. Applicant’s current Passport (if applicable);
4. Copy of parent’s passports
5. Divorce Decree/Death Certificate (if applicable);
6. Father’s Declaration of Paternity (Father should sign in-front of a Consular officer);
7. Mother’s Declaration of Maternity (Mother should sign in-front of a Consular officer);
8. Domicile Questionnaire;

FEES:
4 Supplying witness (Father’s declaration)
4 Supplying witness (Mother’s declaration)
27 Registering a birth
29 Furnishing a copy of an entry in the Consular register of births

HOME OFFICE REGISTRATION OF ILLEGITIMATE CHILDREN OF BRITISH CITIZEN FATHERS UNDER SEC 3(1) BRITISH NATIONALITY ACT OF 1981

1. Child’s Philippine Birth Certificate NSO on security paper;
2. Child’s photos (2pcs – passport size)
3. Completed Home Office Application Form MN 1;
4. Father’s United Kingdom Long Birth Certificate
5. Copy of father’s British Passport
6. Mother’s Birth Certificate (on NSO paper if born in the Philippines)
7. Father’s Declaration of Paternity (Father should sign in-front of a Consular officer);
8. Mother’s Declaration of Maternity (Mother should sign in-front of a Consular officer);
9. Mother’s written consent to the Registration

FEES:
4 Supplying witness (Father’s declaration)
4 Supplying witness (Mother’s declaration)
16(3) Preparing or forwarding, or both, an application for registration or naturalisation to the Home Office

Home Office Registration Fee - Peso equivalent is computed at the commercial rate of the day at the time of application)

** HOME OFFICE FEES ARE NOT REFUNDABLE **

HOME OFFICE FEES FOR REGISTRATION / NATURALISATION AS A BRITISH CITIZEN (WITH EFFECT FROM 01 April 2005)

Registration as a British Citizen:
- (adults over 17 years of age) £ 120
- (children under 18 years of age) £ 200

*Note that only one fee is charged if brothers and sisters under 18 years of age apply at the same time.

Naturalisation after residence in the UK £ 200

* Note that only one fee is charged if husband and wife apply at the same time.

**NOTE: FCO announced in March 2000 that the Home Office will accept application for registration of Illegitimate Children born overseas of British Citizen father. Please note the registration should be made before the child turns 16.

For full info visit http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1029459735332

kimmi
10th November 2007, 02:32
hi Robert,

welcome to the forum..Like other friends have said here, I guess it is best for u to contact the British Embassy for more updated information..

oh be thankful to Lady J, she already made the post for u,since u should be the one responsible doing it.

robert78
10th November 2007, 04:17
Hello,

Thank you very much for your answers!

My daughter was born before 01 July 2006 and I'm the father in the Filipino birth certificate. My daughter has my Name. A second baby is comming at spring 2008.

I also want that she will get a Filipino Pasport so she will have dual citizenship.

Will try to go soon to the British Embassy in Manila.

Is there a private British consulting company in Manila that can make the paperwork?

Robert

LadyJ
10th November 2007, 11:30
Your child is already Filipino Citizen, you don't need her to apply a Filipino Passport unless you really want to, you can even apply her a Filipino passport here in UK and/or before she turns age 18. What important now is to register your child's birth to the British Embassy in Manila.

If you prefer someone to sort this out then you will find the full list of English Speaking Lawyers posted in British Embassy website http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1039167836415

robert78
11th November 2007, 08:21
Thank you for the link, LadyJ!

Robert

Missyalice
11th November 2007, 22:43
Good Post LadyJ:)