PDA

View Full Version : UK told to pay more into Europe

les_taxi
24th October 2014, 07:41
Another reason why Labour won't win the Election - giving us no choice to vote to stay or leave will be an election loser :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29751124

johncar54
24th October 2014, 07:47
Could someone please call Mike Read and tell him not sing a song about this too, might be prejudiced against the minority in UK who think the EU is great !!!!!

joebloggs
24th October 2014, 07:48
:Erm: What's Labour got to do with it? Have you forgotten Cameron is pro Europe :icon_lol:

tiger31
24th October 2014, 08:29
That,s right he,s giving us a referendum through gritted teeth coz he knows most of us want out, and even more will now with European bigwigs asking for 1.7 billion. What a joke! Plus, as Farage says, not one bit of accountabilty on where it,s spent

Vote UKIP

KeithD
24th October 2014, 08:34
Well the good news is that money will be given to poor France and Germany. :xxgrinning--00xx3: It's good to help the poor in society. :Erm:

cheekee
24th October 2014, 09:22
Post deleted in concern that I may face disciplinary action at work if someone was to read it outside the forum.

les_taxi
24th October 2014, 09:45
:Erm: What's Labour got to do with it? Have you forgotten Cameron is pro Europe :icon_lol:

Everything to do with it as if you vote labour you will not be given the vote! Simple!

SimonH
24th October 2014, 10:08
Anyone else hear that idiot Ed Balls on the radio yesterday and his madcap 'Mansion Tax' idea? :cwm25:

stevewool
24th October 2014, 17:57
Anyone else hear that idiot Ed Balls on the radio yesterday and his madcap 'Mansion Tax' idea? :cwm25:

You don't live in a mansion do you Simon? :smile:

stevewool
24th October 2014, 17:57
I bet all members of UKIP are smiling to themselves, methinks

andy222
24th October 2014, 18:02
The Tory voters will defect to UKIP and Labour will win. :biggrin:

I think Ed's thinking on the 'Mansion Tax' is spot on. The Tories wouldn't dream of hitting those multi millionaires.

joebloggs
24th October 2014, 18:52

As madcap as the 'Bedroom Tax' :biggrin:

stevewool
24th October 2014, 18:56
Can someone explain why we give so many billions and then they give us a rebate back? :Erm::Erm::Erm::Erm::Erm::Erm:

Michael Parnham
24th October 2014, 19:11
The Tory voters will defect to UKIP and Labour will win. :biggrin:

I think Ed's thinking on the 'Mansion Tax' is spot on. The Tories wouldn't dream of hitting those multi millionaires.

No way will Labour win! :NoNo:

joebloggs
24th October 2014, 19:12
He shouldn't pay. What can they do? :Erm: we give them £8bn a year :NoNo:

stevewool
24th October 2014, 19:15
What will happen if we don't pay? And it's a waste of time Labour opening their mouths, because they would do exactly as Cameron would do

andy222
24th October 2014, 19:20
And it's a waste of time Labour opening their mouths, because they would do exactly as Cameron would do

It's politics Steve. When someone has dropped a b**lock like Cameron and Osborne, have the other side give them a kicking. :wink::icon_lol:

joebloggs
24th October 2014, 19:23
No way will Labour win! :NoNo:

CON 32%, LAB 35%, LDEM 7%, UKIP 16%, GRN 5%.

Les will no doubt make a post saying how the Tories will have a big lead soooon :icon_lol:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/9030?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PollingReport+%28UK+Polling+Report%29

stevewool
24th October 2014, 19:23
Andy, I am so glad I don't vote for either of them. Yes, some may say that's wrong, but it's my choice

andy222
24th October 2014, 19:26
Of course it's your choice Steve. All the parties have bad points. We just vote for who is best for us. If it stops the Tories getting in, I will vote Labour.

joebloggs
24th October 2014, 19:27
Les will no doubt make a post saying how the Tories will have a big lead soooon :icon_lol:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/9030?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PollingReport+%28UK+Polling+Report%29

And, to throw a spanner in the works ...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0jVUTXIgAA097U.png

As UKIP surges Ipsos-MORI finds that support for wanting to stay in the EU is at a 23 year high

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/10/22/as-ukip-surges-ipsos-mori-finds-that-support-for-wanting-to-stay-in-the-eu-is-at-a-23-year-high/

les_taxi
24th October 2014, 21:19
Labour used to have a far bigger lead. It's come down. We will see a Conservative surge as the economy continues to improve (like it has again today)

People will be reminded how shocking Labour were last time out.

Putting all that to one side, no one has faith in Milliband and Balls. They are a massive liability.

andy222
24th October 2014, 21:27
Labour used to have a far bigger lead. It's come down. We will see a Conservative surge as the Economy continues to improve (like it has again today)

Putting all that to one side, no one has faith in Milliband and Balls. They are a massive liability.

:laugher: It's against the law to drink and drive Les. :biggrin:

les_taxi
24th October 2014, 21:33
I will give up the booze when you accept the bet challenge. You are adamant it's going to be a Labour victory so take the bet. Or do you follow the Ed Balls School of Economics?

Get your bet on!

andy222
24th October 2014, 21:45
No need to Les.:wink:

les_taxi
24th October 2014, 22:04
Can't believe you would turn down money from a non-Labour supporter. Unless of course you don't truly believe it will happen.

That would be crazy Andy !

andy222
24th October 2014, 22:10
It's easy Les, it's called self discipline. But you should know that by now Les, losing £100 to Tiger. :biggrin:

And by not taking a bet it winds people up. :icon_lol:

joebloggs
24th October 2014, 22:32
Labour used to have a far bigger lead. It's come down. We will see a Conservative surge as the Economy continues to improve (like it has again today)

You said exactly the same thing in April. Where is this SURGE, Les ?????

joebloggs
24th October 2014, 22:39
George Osborne failed to tell David Cameron about EU bill

The Chancellor did not inform the Prime Minister about an "appalling" £1.7 billion bill levied by the European Union despite knowing about it for days

:laugher:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11186866/George-Osborne-failed-to-tell-David-Cameron-about-EU-bill.html

Ako Si Jamie
24th October 2014, 22:51
Andy, I am so glad I don't vote for either of them. Yes, some may say that's wrong, but it's my choice

Neither do I but that's because they're a bunch of lying, scheming toe-rags although I might give Farage my backing next time, hopefully to end the Old Firm's dominance.

Terpe
24th October 2014, 22:56
Post deleted in concern that I may face disciplinary action at work if someone was to read it outside the forum.

Just to say I did read it and fully understood your frustration :xxgrinning--00xx3:

The kind of environment you outlined completely enveloped my wife and nearly broke her.
Thank goodness she had the strength and the opportunity to recognise it and make changes in both our lives.

Phil, be sure to give the needed priority to your mahal :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
24th October 2014, 23:02
To be honest Jamie, I work in Birmingham and it would be a wasted vote. Most parts of Birmingham will stay Labour because of the ethnic minority vote. But it's your choice mate :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

les_taxi
24th October 2014, 23:22
No, I was correct, I said the lead would shrink, and it has. Next year will see the gap get less.

Andy, you are using a cop out - not fooling me. You dare not take the bet because - despite being sure Labour WILL get in - you won't take easy money.

I believed Man Utd would finish top 4 so I backed it up and paid when wrong.

As Biff would say to Mcfly, you're CHICKEN :biggrin:

les_taxi
24th October 2014, 23:35
Latest YouGov / The Sun results 23nd Oct - Con 34%, Lab 34%, LD 6%, UKIP 15%; APP -21

fred
25th October 2014, 00:23
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/24/1414138160026_wps_6_Picture_Device_Independen.jpg

:crazy:

imagine
25th October 2014, 02:39
That's fine, Europe but first take your own trash back

Michael Parnham
25th October 2014, 06:13
That's fine, Europe but first take your own trash back

I fully agree, best suggestion yet! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

SimonH
25th October 2014, 06:39
The Tory voters will defect to UKIP and Labour will win. :biggrin: I think Eds thinking on the Mansion Tax is spot on. The Tories wouldn't dream of hitting those multi millionaires.

These so called multi millionaires have already been hit with stamp duty though, and then get hit again with a 50% tax band :cwm25:

joebloggs
25th October 2014, 07:32
These so called multi millionaires have already been hit with stamp duty though, and then get hit again with a 50% tax band :cwm25:

Rightly so, as Cameron said
“We need to ask those with the broadest shoulders to contribute the most.”

SimonH
25th October 2014, 08:18
No problem with that Joe. :xxgrinning--00xx3: The problem I have is that £2M gets you not a lot in London and those foreigners that have forked out £100M for property have already paid 15% in stamp duty.

johncar54
25th October 2014, 09:02
Mansion Tax etc:-

Those with the biggest houses are likely to be the highest earners, so highest income tax payers, and pay the highest band council tax. Overall they are more likely to be an asset to the area. Just by having the largest house they will probably employ people, cleaners, gardeners, drivers, etc. They will also have hi-tech burglary protection, sprinklers, private medical insurance, send their children to fee paying school, etc., so, as I said, an asset to the area. Paying out and taking almost nothing back.

However, the poorest people (probably unthinking Labour voters) will probably claim all the benefits available, so will be the biggest drain on the services, paid for by those paying the highest taxes (more likely to be Conservative voters).

Just a thought.

But as I no longer have a vote in UK, just the ‘privilege’ of paying tax on my Crown Pension, I don’t have any say.

KeithD
25th October 2014, 09:05
Cameron will have no problem paying the £1.7B, he'll just take it off the poor and disabled. :doh

SimonH
25th October 2014, 09:13
Maybe he could have lunch with Blair and ask his opinion, no one else wants to :icon_lol:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11185903/Surely-someone-somewhere-is-willing-to-bid-5000-to-take-tea-with-Tony-Blair.html

johncar54
25th October 2014, 09:19
Cameron will have no problem paying the £1.7B, he'll just take it off the poor and disabled.

Maybe he would if he could, but it just occurred to me, the poor and the disabled don't pay tax.

My mother was one such when she became an OAP. She paid no tax, got top-up benefits, sufficient to live a reasonable, whilst not luxurious, life. And she, brought up in an orphanage, having started work as a scullery maid and the domestic, eventually becoming a vegetable chef in a restaurant in a commercial building, voted Tory all her life.

KeithD
25th October 2014, 09:21
Of course they pay tax. Everything has tax on it. :doh

SimonH
25th October 2014, 09:25
Cameron will have no problem paying the £1.7B, he'll just take it off the poor and disabled. :doh

Easy solution........vote Labour :cwm25:

They get in, the Economy will go down the pan and then we can get a rebate :laugher:

SimonH
25th October 2014, 09:28
rightly so, as Cameron said

Seems to be some hypocrisy here Joe :Erm:

Surely that's exactly what Europe are doing to us, taxing the rich to support the poor :Erm:

johncar54
25th October 2014, 09:44
Of course they pay tax. Everything has tax on it

But if they use all or in part benefit money they are hardly the ones paying the indirect tax, unlike a person who not on benefits, who is paying all the indirect tax with their already taxed income .

andy222
25th October 2014, 10:39
Seems to be some hypocrisy here Joe :Erm:

Surely that's exactly what Europe are doing to us, taxing the rich to support the poor :Erm:
Seems to me that Germany and France have got some dodgy accountants.:Erm:. Mind you its working for them. Or is it that they are smarter than our government?

Ako Si Jamie
25th October 2014, 11:05
To be honest Jamie, I work in Birmingham and it would be a wasted vote. Most parts of Birmingham will stay Labour because of the ethnic minority vote. But it's your choice mate :xxgrinning--00xx3:.Even some of those are fed up with the influx of Eastern Europeans etc. :wink:

andy222
25th October 2014, 11:09
Not enough though Jamie. You only have to take a look at the councilors to see which way the vote will go.

Ako Si Jamie
25th October 2014, 11:13
These so called multi millionaires have already been hit with stamp duty though, and then get hit again with a 50% tax band :cwm25:Is that all?

fred
25th October 2014, 11:16
Mansion tax etc:-

Those with the biggest houses are likely to be the highest earners, so highest income tax payers, and pay the highest band council tax. Overall they are more likely to be an asset to the area. Just by having the largest house they will probably employ people, cleaners, gardeners, drivers, etc. They will also have hi tech burglary protection, sprinklers , private medical insurance, send their children to fee paying school, etc. so as I said an asset to the area. Paying out and taking almost nothing back.

However, the poorest people (probably unthinking labour voters) will probably claim all the benefits available, so will be the biggest drain on the services, paid for by those paying the highest taxes (more likely to be conservative voters).

Just a thought.

But as I no longer have a vote in UK, just the ‘privilege’ of paying tax on my Crown Pension, I don’t have any say.

Exactly how it is ..Well said..
Mind you, as millionaires they will probably end up moving away at some point and employ local people and pay far less taxes in another country where it doesn't rain as much!

andy222
25th October 2014, 11:19
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2807095/After-1-7bn-EU-bill-PM-hints-one-step-nearer-EU-exit.html

I will just post this as I know Ded won't. It's from his Tory rag. What a mess and Osborne didn't even tell Cameron. :doh

fred
25th October 2014, 11:32
Farage on Friday: 'The British taxpayers are the real losers' after new EU cash demand

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/527095/Farage-on-Friday-Nigel-Farage-on-EU-cash-demand

SimonH
25th October 2014, 11:35
Is that all?

How much do you think high earners should pay Jamie? :Erm:

Ever read the analogy between taxes and mates paying for beer the same way? :smile:

johncar54
25th October 2014, 11:48
I just had a look at income tax. Never having been in the top bands I had not realised that those earning over £120,000 p.a. appear to get no personal allowance, thus pay tax on all their income..

Simon's point:-

That being so, the mates drinking beer, means that one pays say £3 to £4 a pint and the other £4.35 to £5.80 i.e. 45% more, and that applies to everything they buy.

SimonH
25th October 2014, 12:00
Here's the beer analogy to save anyone looking it up :biggrin:

Suppose that once a week, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to £100.If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this..

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
The fifth would pay £1.
The sixth would pay £3.
The seventh would pay £7.
The eighth would pay £12.
The ninth would pay £18.
And the tenth man (the richest) would pay £59.
So, that's what they decided to do.

The ten men drank in the bar every week and seemed quite happy with the arrangement until, one day, the owner caused them a little problem. "Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your weekly beer by £20.” Drinks for the ten men would now cost just £80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes. So the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free but what about the other six men? The paying customers? How could they divide the £20 windfall so that everyone would get his fair share? They realized that £20 divided by six is £3.33 but if they subtracted that from everybody's share then not only would the first four men still be drinking for free but the fifth and sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer.

So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fairer to reduce each man's bill by a higher percentage. They decided to follow the principle of the tax system they had been using and he proceeded to work out the amounts he suggested that each should now pay.

And so, the fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (a100% saving).
The sixth man now paid £2 instead of £3 (a 33% saving).
The seventh man now paid £5 instead of £7 (a 28% saving).
The eighth man now paid £9 instead of £12 (a 25% saving).
The ninth man now paid £14 instead of £18 (a 22% saving).
And the tenth man now paid £49 instead of £59 (a 16% saving).
Each of the last six was better off than before with the first four continuing to drink for free.

But, once outside the bar, the men began to compare their savings. "I only got £1 out of the £20 saving," declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man, "but he got £10!"

"Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a £1 too. It's unfair that he got ten times more benefit than me!"

"That's true!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get £10 back, when I only got £2? The wealthy get all the breaks!"

"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison, "we didn't get anything at all. This new tax system exploits the poor!" The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next week the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had their beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important - they didn't have enough money between all of them to pay for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and government ministers, is how our tax system works. The people who already pay the highest taxes will naturally get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy and they just might not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas, where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible

Ako Si Jamie
25th October 2014, 12:08
How much do you think high earners should pay Jamie? :Erm:

Ever read the analogy between taxes and mates paying for beer the same way? :smile:So long as they have £53 each week to support themselves just like Iain Duncan-Smith reckons an individual needs, the rest should go to the taxman, obviously. :biggrin:

andy222
25th October 2014, 12:11
So you would like it to stay as it is, Simon?

SimonH
25th October 2014, 12:16
So long as they have £53 each week to support themselves just like Iain Duncan-Smith reckons an individual needs, the rest should go to the taxman, obviously. :biggrin:

That's your trip to the Philippines :censored:ed then :icon_lol:

SimonH
25th October 2014, 12:17
So you would like it to stay as it is? Simon?

I've got no problem in paying my way Andy :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
25th October 2014, 12:22
Exactly, but some can't afford to pay their way through no fault of their own. Like I have said before, there are millions of working people and disabled struggling, but I dont expect you to see it that way. :biggrin:

They are working just as hard - if not harder - than you.

SimonH
25th October 2014, 12:27
Exactly, but some can't afford to pay their way through no fault of their own. Like I have said before, there are millions of working people and disabled struggling, but I don't expect you to see it that way. :biggrin:

I see it the same way Andy :biggrin: It's the lazy :censored:'s who think they're owed a house and benefits that gets to me. :cwm23:

I started off struggling and grafting but I had aspirations to climb the financial ladder; fortunately I still have those aspirations and I'm still climbing :biggrin:

johncar54
25th October 2014, 12:28
Simon, Interesting but I think my post is actual cost which each customer is paying from their gross income. That is, it is what each must earn in order to buy the pint.

stevewool
25th October 2014, 12:32
Work hard and save harder, then in such a short time you may be be able to enjoy what you have worked so hard for. Around 14 more pay cheques and I will not be paying any more tax for a few years. Will I be classed like the lazy buggers then? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Michael Parnham
25th October 2014, 12:34
To be honest Jamie, I work in Birmingham and it would be a wasted vote. Most parts of Birmingham will stay Labour because of the ethnic minority vote. But it's your choice mate :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Every vote counts! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
25th October 2014, 12:36
In some eyes you will be Steve.:biggrin:

Ako Si Jamie
25th October 2014, 12:41
Exactly, but some can't afford to pay their way through no fault of their own. Like I have said before, there are millions of working people and disabled struggling, but I don't expect you to see it that way. :biggrin:

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
25th October 2014, 12:42
In some eyes you will be Steve.:biggrin:

Am I bothered Andy? Not a big fat chance! I have paid my way in life and I will enjoy what time I have left, Where? :anerikke: Who knows, just chilling out and resting for a good few months

andy222
25th October 2014, 12:59
Am I bothered Andy? Not a big fat chance! I have paid my way in life and I will enjoy what time I have left. Where? :anerikke: Who knows, just chilling out and resting for a good few months

I hope Cameron doesn't see that Steve, he will make you work till you're 70 to help pay towards the 1.7 billion he owes :icon_lol:

joebloggs
25th October 2014, 13:22
I just had a look at income tax. Never having been in the top bands I had not realised that those earning over £120,000 p.a. appear to get no personal allowance, thus pay tax on all their income..

Simon's point:-

That being so, the mates drinking beer, means that one pays say £3 to £4 a pint and the other £4.35 to £5.80 i.e. 45% more, and that applies to everything they buy.

:cwm25: Back to the real world, everyone - that includes the poorest to the richest - needs a certain amount of money to live off to pay for utils, food, clothes etc,

Rich or poor, most of what you buy or bills you need to pay, are not linked to your income.

As for the rich, I wonder how many pay cash to employees, how many have accountants so they pay £0 or as little tax as possible ?? :cwm25:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-charles-pays-lower-tax-2055838 :wink:

les_taxi
25th October 2014, 13:32
It's a good analogy and one Labour supporters can't argue with. You always want more off people who earn more than you. Not taking into account the fact a lot of the rich employ people. I'm all for people getting on in life. Some people are brighter than others and make more of their lives. Good on 'em, I'm totally working class but don't envy the rich.

joebloggs
25th October 2014, 13:37
It's a good analagy and one labour supporter s can't argue with. You always want more off people who earn more than you. Not taking into account the fact a lot of the rich employ people. I'm all for people getting on in life. Some people are brighter than others and make more of their lives. Good on 'em, I'm totally working class but don't envy the rich.

Les, these rich people, many pay their workers the minimum wage, not the living wage, and because they pay the minimum wage they are entitled to claim certain benefits so they can survive, meaning all taxpayers are subsidizing these rich people :wink:

SimonH
25th October 2014, 13:43
Les, these rich people many pay their workers the minimum wage, not the living wage, and because they pay the minimum wage they are entitled to claim certain benefits so they can survive, meaning all taxpayers are subsidizing these rich people :wink:

Is that a fact or did you just make it up? :Erm:

joebloggs
25th October 2014, 13:50

https://www.gov.uk/working-tax-credit/eligibility

Tell me how I am wrong then ?????

SimonH
25th October 2014, 13:57
https://www.gov.uk/working-tax-credit/eligibility

tell me how i am wrong then ?????

The bit about many rich people paying their staff the minimum wage and therefore tax payers are subsidising the rich :smile:

joebloggs
25th October 2014, 14:01
The bit about many rich people paying their staff the minimum wage and therefore tax payers are subsidising the rich :smile:

So who is paying for these benefits then ? The rich ? Or every tax payer ???

SimonH
25th October 2014, 14:09
Ok, I'll play. It's everyone :biggrin:

SimonH
25th October 2014, 14:12
But mainly the rich :wink:

joebloggs
25th October 2014, 14:17

Even the rich who pay their employees a decent wage :doh

SimonH
25th October 2014, 14:18
even the rich who pay their employees a decent wage :doh

Yep, even them :smile: Not sure where you're trying to get to Joe :Erm:

joebloggs
25th October 2014, 14:31
Yep, even them :smile: Not sure where you're trying to get to Joe :Erm:

That includes rich employers who pay a decent wage and those that don't.
If they all paid a decent wage there would be no need for certain benefits.

les_taxi
25th October 2014, 14:32
What I take issue with is the Benefit Culture - not people facing genuine hardship or with disabilities, they need help. I DO disagree with the ....... chavs who don't work,never want to work and probably never will.

The rest of us started work at, maybe 16 and we are where we are now mainly due to choices we made.

I started off in a warehouse and eventually became a Branch manager of a large plumbers' merchants then decided I would gamble and set up my own business.

I have worked long hours and missed out on many social gatherings but I'm happy.

I work hard and play hard.

Some of my best customers are loaded - they have everything. Some employ people and the ones I have met are not on minimum wage.

I just hate rich-bashing for the sake of it when some people have worked hard, been cleverer than others and gambled all on making it. Good luck to them.

Some people have a crap job and moan all the time - it's not my fault or some rich git's fault it is their choice to do that job.

When I pick up someone who hates their boss/job etc, I say make plans to leave - do what you want to do - but do not moan for the rest of your life about it, or the successes of others when you were not prepared to do anything about it. IT'S DOWN TO US TO CHOOSE our future.

joebloggs
25th October 2014, 14:37
I just hate rich-bashing for the sake of it when some people have worked hard, been cleverer than others and gambled all on making it. Good luck to them.

If Charles is dodgy, how many others are doing the same ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2487470/MPs-probe-Prince-Charles-tax-advantages.html

KeithD
25th October 2014, 18:02
Why do some people think people who claim benefits are scroungers? Oh yeah, the Daily Mail :doh

Most benefit claimants usually come under the category of working, disabled, sick, elderly, redundant, zero hour contracts.

Less than 1% of families have two generations claiming, while only 9% of them have never worked. That is about 0.01% of the physically fit working population for those who can't do the maths. One hell of a minority.

les_taxi
25th October 2014, 18:17
No one's said that Keith, certainly not me. I did say I despise the ones who can't be arsed to work - of which we have plenty. I said those with disabilities and people who need real help should get it.

KeithD
25th October 2014, 18:26
Going by these stats we need to send all OAPs to Siberia. They are a burden on the country's finances. :icon_lol:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Business/Pix/cartoon/2013/4/6/1365266927421/GU-2-001.jpg

KeithD
25th October 2014, 18:29
Strange, benefits flat lined during the Labour years, but went up with Major & Cameron :Erm: I didn't expect that. I thought it was a smooth trend up.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/4/6/1365278939565/Expenditure-on-benefits-a-001.jpg

bigmarco
26th October 2014, 16:51

Suppose we could say the same for your 50% tax rate.:Erm:

bigmarco
26th October 2014, 16:54
Strange, benefits flat lined during the Labour years, but went up with Major & Cameron :Erm: I didn't expect that. I thought it was a smooth trend up.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/4/6/1365278939565/Expenditure-on-benefits-a-001.jpg

More people working and paying taxes. I know it might shock a few but the majority of people unemployed would actually like a job.

SimonH
26th October 2014, 17:17
Suppose we could say the same for your 50% tax rate.:Erm:

My 50% tax rate :Erm:

SimonH
26th October 2014, 17:50
More people working and paying taxes. I know it might shock a few but the majority of people unemployed would actually like a job.

It may shock more but the majority of those who criticised would actively support the ones that want to work :smile:

bigmarco
26th October 2014, 18:03
My 50% tax rate :Erm:

I wasn't aware we had a 50% rate

SimonH
26th October 2014, 18:09
Sorry Marco you're right, it's only 45% :biggrin:

joebloggs
26th October 2014, 19:35
From a Tory rag:

'Record number' in low-paid jobs

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/record-number-in-lowpaid-jobs-30693543.html

les_taxi
26th October 2014, 19:56
Better to have a job than be unemployed :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Does this take into account youngsters?

When I first started work my wage was very low compared to older people?

joebloggs
26th October 2014, 20:10
Better to have a job than be unemployed :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Does this take into account youngsters?

When I first started work my wage was very low compared to older people?

Of course it's better to have a job, but you would expect to be paid enough so you could survive wouldn't you ??

The National Minimum Wage rate per hour depends on your age and whether you’re an apprentice - you must be at least school leaving age to get it.

21 and over - £6.50
18 to 20 - £5.13
Under 18 - £3.79
Apprentice* 2014 (current rate) £2.73

Apprentice pay is £2.73 an hour :NoNo:

andy222
26th October 2014, 20:19
Sorry Marco you're right, it's only 45% :biggrin:
Come on Simon get your facts right. :biggrin:

bigmarco
26th October 2014, 20:28
Come on Simon get your facts right. :biggrin:

:biggrin: Yeah you'd think he'd know the top rate of tax particularly as he pays it :wink:

SimonH
26th October 2014, 21:04
:biggrin: Yeah you'd think he'd know the top rate of tax particularly as he pays it :wink:

Don't be daft Marco, I don't pay tax :biggrin:

I did pay £30k in VAT though last quarter :yikes:

andy222
26th October 2014, 21:11
We will take your word for it Simon. :biggrin:

SimonH
26th October 2014, 21:20
We will take your word for it Simon. :biggrin:

Fancy betting on that as well Andy :Erm: I'm willing to up the stakes to say £30K :smile:

andy222
26th October 2014, 21:28
:laugher:

joebloggs
26th October 2014, 22:22
Don't be daft Marco, I don't pay tax :biggrin:

I did pay £30k in VAT though last quarter :yikes:

You've also charged most of your customers VAT :Erm:

Arthur Little
26th October 2014, 22:58
Party politics aside ... how about getting back to the MAIN topic of this thread, i.e., the £2.1 bn surcharge :Britain:'s now being asked to stump up (over and above the £8.6 billion disbursed annually in EU membership fees) all because it has fared better than other Member States since 1995. And as with ANY joint enterprise ... :anerikke: ... it's hardly what could be called an incentive for the UK maintaining its position as the 'BIG player' ... while rebates are handed out willy nilly to those team members who consistently fail to match up by virtue of *their much poorer performance ratings.

Rewarded for slackness in *their case ... it's just :crazy:!

Hopefully, :pray: Cameron will stick to his guns :NEW3: ... by telling the EU Commissioners to take a run and :Jump:!

joebloggs
26th October 2014, 23:38
Hopefully, :pray: Cameron will stick to his guns :NEW3: ... by telling the EU Commissioners to take a run and :Jump:

:xxgrinning--00xx3: If he does I'll give him some respect :wink:

johncar54
27th October 2014, 08:36
Joe Apprentice pay is £2.73 an hour

In 1956 it was 1 shilling an hour. £2.8.0 for 48 hours and that was gross pay. Less than £2 after deductions. I gave my mum £1. I reckon the £2.73 would go further today than my one shilling did.

Ako Si Jamie
27th October 2014, 23:17
I was on the £26 a week YTS Scheme in '88 under Evil Edna's reign of terror. I didn't finish it because I got a job that paid £150 per week a year or so later. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
28th October 2014, 08:50
I was on a YTS scheme in '84, and loved it. A week after I left my first placement they called me up and offered me a job. It seems everyone in the office missed my constant humour, so they were all miserable. :biggrin:

I know a lot of people who got work from YTS, and it worked as planned. They should bring it back, as it is education and experience. Instead of giving people dole to sit at home.

joebloggs
28th October 2014, 09:03
I was on a YTS scheme in '84, and loved it. A week after I left my first placement they called me up and offered me a job. It seems everyone in the office missed my constant humour, so they were all miserable. :biggrin:

I know a lot of people who got work from YTS, and it worked as planned. They should bring it back, as it is education and experience. Instead of giving people dole to sit at home.

They have in a way, but they call it 'apprentice scheme' now :wink: Where I work we've got 4 teenagers on it. And i bet they are on £2.73 an hour :cwm24:

les_taxi
28th October 2014, 09:45
Join the Army! The lads at the training camp near me are on £1200 take home at 16. Great career too.

Dedworth
28th October 2014, 10:03
You've also charged most of your customers VAT :Erm:

The £30k Simon was referring to is the difference between the VAT he paid out on goods and services and the VAT he charged his customers. ie Buy product for £1000 plus £200 VAT sell it for say 20% profit at £1200 plus £240 VAT - govt gets the 40 quid

VAT is a consumption tax that is placed on a product whenever value is added at a stage of production and at final sale

So if he hadn't been trading the Govt wouldn't have got the £30k for the quarter

KeithD
28th October 2014, 10:24
Great career too.

:xxparty-smiley-004:

http://www.bartcop.com/arlington-graves2006.jpg

Ako Si Jamie
28th October 2014, 10:34
I know a lot of people who got work from YTS, and it worked as planned. They should bring it back, as it is education and experience. Instead of giving people dole to sit at home.In my day, approximately the same amount (£26 p/w) was given to those on the dole with a measly tenner being contributed by the employer with the taxpayer coughing up the rest. No prizes for guessing who got the best deal.

There were many unscrupulous employers too who used these youngsters as a way of gaining cheap labour with no intentions of offering them anything more once the scheme had ended.

YTS was slave labour masked over with a pretentious name.

Ako Si Jamie
28th October 2014, 10:39
:xxparty-smiley-004:

http://www.bartcop.com/arlington-graves2006.jpgI agree. I wouldn't have joined the Army if they'd offered me a million quid.

andy222
28th October 2014, 12:10
There are a lot soldiers coming out of our already depleted Army. One of the main reasons is the changes to the pension scheme that this government has imposed. Back on the topic, Cameron will have to pay up. Apparently the Treasury knew about this 7 months ago but failed to tell Cameron.:doh