PDA

View Full Version : Firefighters to Strike...

Longweekend
31st October 2014, 15:04
These guys certainly know when the best time is for them to go on strike, they apparently already have the best pension in the public sector.....

joebloggs
31st October 2014, 19:00
I believe they also pay for it
Recent pensions contributions increases, to 14.2% for most firefighters, meant they were now one of the highest in the public sector,

unlike many public sector workers, they risk their lives, and the gov wants them to work until they are 60 :crazy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28166635

Longweekend
31st October 2014, 19:41
I don't see a problem with that, people aged sixty are not exactly geriatric....

joebloggs
31st October 2014, 19:57
I don't see a problem with that, people aged sixty are not exactly geriatric....

My misses sees a problem with it. All the firemen she has seen, have bad backs in their 50s - never mind 60 :cwm24:

Longweekend
31st October 2014, 20:13
Why are the firemen so special? If a builder or a manual worker is not allowed to retire until they are 65, why should they retire at 55 with an index-linked pension? ....

Dedworth
31st October 2014, 20:25

Modern safety equipment, nanny state health & safety, massive reduction in call out...............

Firemen are heroic but the emotional blackmail of their union hides the fact they're very underworked

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2504812/Firemen-heroic-emotional-blackmail-union-hides-theyre-underworked.html#ixzz3Hkhafx34
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

joebloggs
31st October 2014, 20:28
Why are the firemen so special? If a builder or a manual worker is not allowed to retire until they are 65, why should they retire at 55 with an index linked pension?....

They pay 14.7% of their wage into their pension, they have to carry heavy equipment never mind a person; you really think a 60-yr-old can do that ?

They risk their lives and don't get any thanks from some people until they've gone into a burning building and saved a person's life.

joebloggs
31st October 2014, 20:30
Modern safety equipment, nanny state health & safety, masive reduction in call out...............

Firemen are heroic but the emotional blackmail of their union hides the fact they're very underworked

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2504812/Firemen-heroic-emotional-blackmail-union-hides-theyre-underworked.html#ixzz3Hkhafx34
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Funny Dedworth, if they were in the army or other services you would be sticking up for them, but if they are firemen or police officers then it's a different story :NoNo:

Dedworth
31st October 2014, 20:51
They pay 14.7% of their wage into their pension, they have to carry heavy equipment never mind a person; you really think a 60-yr-old can do that ?

They risk their lives and don't get any thanks from some people until they've gone into a burning building and saved a person's life.

And like the Army (but not the bloated coppers) they have to pass regular realistic fitness tests. My neighbour a couple of doors away is a fireman, decent bloke, nice standard of living, plenty of time for him to stay at home, pick up the kids or do his 2nd job

joebloggs
31st October 2014, 20:57
And like the Army ( but not the bloated coppers) they have to pass regular realistic fitness tests. My neighbour a couple of doors away is a fireman, decent bloke, nice standard of living, plenty of time for him to stay at home, pick up the kids or do his 2nd job

Well Dedworth, maybe he's working while you're fast asleep, they work shifts - unlike most people :cwm25:

And some already have an annual fitness test :wink:

les_taxi
31st October 2014, 21:02
Well funnily enough, I never knew people were forced into being firemen - I thought they could choose their own careers!

No-one is going to deny the work they do, of course not, but they get the every woman loves a fireman vote, and I know a few who are able to earn nice extra cash posing as plumbers and Taxi drivers in their spare time.

Not because they are skint but they like the money :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
31st October 2014, 21:02
My Mrs is working nights this Sunday - Tuesday and she doesn't have a grasping union making unrealistic demands

Spot on Les - Joes in his usual govt/employer bashing fantasy land. Nigh on impossible to get into the fire service - too many takers - I wonder why ?

joebloggs
31st October 2014, 21:10
Well funnily enough, I never knew people were forced into being firemen - I thought they could choose their own careers!

No-one is going to deny the work they do, of course not, but they get the every woman loves a fireman vote, and I know a few who are able to earn nice extra cash posing as plumbers and Taxi drivers in their spare time.

Not because they are skint but they like the money :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Funnily enough Les, no one forces people to join the Army either, but they can do no wrong in your eyes - even when they are caught with an illegal firearm :doh

Well, I'm sure you would start praising them if they saved your life :doh

joebloggs
31st October 2014, 21:12
My Mrs is working nights this Sunday - Tuesday and she doesn't have a grasping union making unrealistic demands

Spot on Les - Joe's in his usual govt/employer bashing fantasy land. Nigh on impossible to get into the fire service - too many takers - I wonder why ?

Is that your problem, your misses is not in a union ?

Michael Parnham
31st October 2014, 21:14
If I was a Fireman I would just accept whatever decision is made and carry on working!

Dedworth
31st October 2014, 21:17
Is that your problem, your misses is not in a union ?

She's in the RCN & it's not a problem for me

joebloggs
31st October 2014, 21:20
If I was a Fireman I would just accept what decision is made and carry on working!

Why should they? We're not in China or Russia, they have a legal right to protest or strike :NoNo:

You think you could do a fireman's job at 60 ?

joebloggs
31st October 2014, 21:22

So being a member of the RCN is ok with you, but being a member of any other union you have a problem with? :icon_lol:

les_taxi
31st October 2014, 21:28
well I'm sure you would start praising them if they saved your life

You're doing it again - ignoring my comment!

No-one is going to deny the work they do, of course not

The other quote that the Army can do no wrong in my eyes is pretty much correct :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
31st October 2014, 21:31
You're doing it again ignoring my comment!

The other quote that the Army can do no wrong in my eyes is pretty much correct :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Denying what Les, the job they do? You mean they risk their lives daily ? Pity you cant post some praise for them :NoNo:

Dedworth
31st October 2014, 21:43
So being a member of the RCN is ok with you, but being a member of any other union you have a problem with? :icon_lol:

You're drifting off topic again Joe. I'm against unions led by dinosaurs making unreasonable demands ie, the shower at Grangemouth

joebloggs
31st October 2014, 21:50
You're drifting off topic again Joe. I'm against unions led by dinosaurs making unreasonable demands ie, the shower at Grangemouth

So you're in favour of unions? :yikes:, what are unreasonable demands, like trying to save your job?

joebloggs
31st October 2014, 22:00
nice standard of living, plenty of time for him to stay at home, pick up the kids or do his 2nd job

I bet he's not getting £750,000 a yr while moonlighting as a Tory MP. He should be sacked :mad:

A Tory MP who rakes in vast sums from his “second job” as a barrister has skipped meetings in Parliament to appear in court.

Stephen Phillips QC was embroiled in a complex High Court business case for six days this week and last while the House of Commons was in session.

During that time, he missed two meetings of the Commons Public Accounts Committee – despite being appointed to the panel only last month.

His salary as an MP is £67,060 but he earned £750,000 as a barrister in 2012 alone

read more here ...... http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/court-out-tory-mp-ducks-4539430

SimonH
31st October 2014, 22:24
i bet he's not getting £750,000 yr while moonlighting as a Tory MP, he should be sacked :mad:

read more here ...... http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/court-out-tory-mp-ducks-4539430

And that has what to do with firemen going on strike? :doh

joebloggs
31st October 2014, 22:43
And that has what to do with firemen going on strike? :doh

I doubt firemen would go on strike if they got paid £750,000 a year or even £69k !!

:doh Dedworth's neighbour has so much time on his hands he does a second job. I presume he doesn't leave his fireman job to go moonlighting - unlike this Tory MP :cwm25:

It's good to see you support the firemen and police too :xxgrinning--00xx3::icon_lol:

les_taxi
31st October 2014, 23:10
I think firemen do a brave job. Never said they didn't. But I praise the Army more. Far more soldiers die and lose limbs than firemen. Soldiers don't strike either!

joebloggs
31st October 2014, 23:14
I think fireman do a brave job. Never said they didn't.

And you never said they did! :doh

Ako Si Jamie
31st October 2014, 23:16
The average fireman gets nearly 30k per year down in Dedworth's neck of the woods, which seems a bit low to me, but considering they also receive nearly £20 p/h overtime, that kinda makes up for it IMO.

http://www.rbfrs.co.uk/job_ff_wt_pay.html

joebloggs
31st October 2014, 23:30
The average fireman gets nearly 30k per year down in Dedworth's neck of the woods, which seems a bit low to me, but considering they also receive nearly £20 p/h overtime, that kinda makes up for it IMO.

http://www.rbfrs.co.uk/job_ff_wt_pay.html

If that's true, and Dedworth's neighbour can get £20 o\t then why is he doing another second job? :cwm25: Maybe there is no O/T to be done :Erm:

And £29k a yr wouldn't buy you much up norf - never mind in Berks :NoNo:

les_taxi
1st November 2014, 00:25
And you never said they did! :doh

No need to say it, it's taken as read. Remember massive strikes years ago, soldiers to the rescue - having to man the green godesses.

malolos
1st November 2014, 00:30

Spot on Les - Joe's in his usual govt/employer bashing fantasy land. Nigh on impossible to get into the fire service - too many takers - I wonder why ?

The reason it's hard to get into Fire and Rescue now is the higher educational standards required. Many candidates would simply not be selected nowadays, as the idiots running the show want thinkers not hands on.

If a F/f is injured and pensioned off, he will not get a full pension under the new rules. Would you fight to preserve your pension or just take less?

How much is a firefighter's life worth when you have to tell his wife and children their dad's not coming home because he got killed saving someone else, or their mother's not coming home??

If a serious incident occurs during a strike period, the picket line is left to respond, fact.

Any second job has to be approved, but if you injure yourself doing it that's your problem not the brigade's and - as for not doing anything all day - you have to study a lot more due to increased risks and be able to operate all equipment as the old school of being on a particular appliance has long gone.

malolos
1st November 2014, 00:44
No need to say it, it's taken as read. Remember massive strikes years ago, soldiers to the rescue having to man the green godesses.

And why did they go on strike Les?

les_taxi
1st November 2014, 00:47
Can't remember to be honest. The point is, the soldiers covered the emergencies. Why I rate servicemen over fireman every time.

But to reiterate, they do a great job do firemen - all the Emergency services do.

malolos
1st November 2014, 00:53
Can't remember to be honest. The point is, the soldiers covered the emergencies. Why I rate servicemen over firemen every time.

But to reiterate, they do a great job do firemen - all the Emergency Services do.

Hi Les,

They lagged way behind on the pay increase structure. This was confirmed by the governments report [Bain Report] and were told all increases were to be applied in the future.

les_taxi
1st November 2014, 01:00
No problem with them getting a wage increase.

I actually do think all the vital services should be the best-paid jobs in the land. Yet lawyers, sportsmen, IT people etc., get paid far more.

Dedworth
1st November 2014, 02:10
If that's true, and Dedworth's neighbour can get £20 o\t then why is he doing another second job :cwm25: , maybe there is no O/T to be done :Erm:

and £29kyr wouldn't buy you much up norf never mind in Berks :NoNo:

3 little ones, 3 motors, Mrs is a full time housewife and the cushy, short hours, well-paid public sector fire service job gives him enough time in Joe's words to "moonlight" with his own driving instructor business. Good luck to the bloke, he's working the system :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
1st November 2014, 02:22

:iagree: that sixty's still within the age range for carrying out a fairly wide variety of (mainly office) jobs ... but it's far, far too old to be engaged in work where people's lives are at stake.

Arthur Little
1st November 2014, 04:15
Personally, I would prefer no one worked full time after they turned 60 ... thereby creating more employment opportunities for youngsters. :wink:

Arthur Little
1st November 2014, 04:25
Personally, I would prefer no one worked full time after they turned 60 ... thereby creating more employment opportunities for youngsters. :wink:

:yeahthat: ain't gonna come to pass ... more's the pity!

Michael Parnham
1st November 2014, 07:30
Why should they? We're not in China or Russia, they have a legal right to protest or strike :NoNo:

You think you could do a fireman's job at 60 ?

Everyone is different at 60 Joe, yes I think I would have been ok at 60 can't speak for anyone else. Regarding strikes and unions always hated both, unions only brainwash you to go on strike and lose money you will never get back and when you are back at work if your job's still available nothing has really changed apart from heartache your family has gone through because of no money coming in.

Just my opinion Joe!

joebloggs
1st November 2014, 09:01
No need to say it, it's taken as read. Remember massive strikes years ago, soldiers to the rescue - having to man the green godesses.

What's the pay scale for those in the Army Les and at what age can they retire, is it 60? :cwm25::wink:

les_taxi
1st November 2014, 09:09
What's the pay scale for those in the Army Les and at what age can they retire, is it 60? :cwm25::wink:

No idea Joe - why is it even relevant?

I will say once again, did the people who became fireman choose to out of their free will or were they made to do the job? :doh

Hate strikes and agree with Michael on that.
Like I said, we are lucky soldiers can't strike eh :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
1st November 2014, 09:13
Everyone is different at 60 Joe, yes I think I would have been ok at 60 can't speak for anyone else. Regarding strikes and unions always hated both, unions only brainwash you to go on strike and lose money you will never get back and when you are back at work if your job's still available nothing has really changed apart from heartache your family has gone through because of no money coming in.

Just my opinion Joe!

And you're entitled to your opinion Michael :xxgrinning--00xx3:

My misses has seen a number of firemen and they all suffer problems with their back,

You think at 60 yrs old you could carry someone down a ladder wearing 70 pounds of gear ?

joebloggs
1st November 2014, 09:17
No idea Joe - why is it even relevant?

I will say once again, did the people who became fireman choose to out of their free will or were they made to do the job?:doh

Hate strikes and agree with Michael on that.
Like i said we are lucky soldiers can't strike eh:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Relevant because you keep comparing firemen to the Army.

Same for those who join the Army, no one forced them, so the point is irrelevant :doh

les_taxi
1st November 2014, 09:32
What a load of .......s from you Joe as usual - you must be bored.

I have to get ready for a 15 hours shift - but hey, no one forces me to do it :biggrin:

The Army are not striking or whinging is the point I'm making.
To the public they give the ultimate sacrifice - yep fireman do a good and dangerous job - respect, but the Army command far more respect from me and most people I would expect.

I know a fireman who is a great lad but he has always considered himself lucky to have a job where most of the time it's laid back and since he did not have to work many hours he was able to pursue other interests.

Now he is retired with a good pension and does a bit of part time taxi driving. He will be about 60 I'm guessing and is as fit as a fiddle.

Right, shall I strike or get people to where they want to be since it's not fair I have to work all these hours :bigcry:

Tell you what, I will man up and work like most people.
Unions, strikers, left wing militants - bunch of losers :icon_lol: Rest of us just get on with our jobs.

Have a nice day Comrade Joe, I'm off to work! :biggrin:

joebloggs
1st November 2014, 09:39
15-hr shift Les, so you drive for 15hrs? :Erm:

les_taxi
1st November 2014, 10:20
No of course not, we get breaks - basically wait for jobs. I also go home for food etc. But at anytime I'm avaialble and often have to put my dinner down to go and do a job, then fire it back up in the microwave. I'm starting now and I have a booking for 2.30am Sunday.

Look after my customers - that's why I have so many :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/lestaxi1/Capture-27.jpg (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/lestaxi1/media/Capture-27.jpg.html)
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/lestaxi1/1.jpg (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/lestaxi1/media/1.jpg.html)

les_taxi
1st November 2014, 10:21
I even rated myself:laugher:

Michael Parnham
1st November 2014, 10:50
15-hr shift Les, so you drive for 15hrs? :Erm:

Nothing wrong with working 15 hours or more, up to retiring Joe. I used to set off for work at 5am and most days not getting home until 10pm and never got paid extra, that was the job and it had to be done. There are many people in this world who do work very long hours just to serve the public and they get no rewards for their work and the public never see or realise that these people even exist! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
1st November 2014, 11:20
Nothing wrong with working 15 hours or more, up to retiring Joe. I used to set off for work at 5 am and most days not get home until 10pm and never got paid extra, that was the job and it had to be done. There are many people in this world who do work very long hours just to serve the public and they get no rewards for their work and the public never see or realise that these people even exist! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Do you think some employers exploit their workers ? I don't know who you worked for but were they well off ? Did you work more hours than your contract stated ?

les_taxi
1st November 2014, 11:21
Unions are bullies. If a union causes others to suffer hardship and loss through promoting strike action, they don't give a toss. As long as they get what they want stuff everyone else.

les_taxi
1st November 2014, 11:23
Love it when people despise the well off yet if they came into money themselves they would sing a different tune. Hypocrisy comes to mind.

Longweekend
1st November 2014, 11:24
The union members lose pay when on strike, do the union employees...?

SimonH
1st November 2014, 11:27
And you're entitled to your opinion Michael :xxgrinning--00xx3:

My misses has seen a number of firemen and they all suffer problems with their back,

You think at 60 yrs old you could carry someone down a ladder wearing 70 pounds of gear ?

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: Your comments never fail to make me laugh Joe :xxgrinning--00xx3:

With all your union knowledge I'm surprised you're naive enough to think that all firemen have to run up and down ladders. I'm sure you'll come up with some irrelevant fact to counter my argument, but surely there are administrative jobs in the fire service that those who were too old or physically unable to run up and down ladders could do :Erm:

Drive, inspect equipment, train the newbies :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

SimonH
1st November 2014, 11:30
I don't know who you worked for but were they well off ?

I :censored:y well hope so, most people start and run companies to earn a decent living :doh

joebloggs
1st November 2014, 11:41
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: Your comments never fail to make me laugh Joe :xxgrinning--00xx3:

With all your union knowledge I'm surprised you're naive to think that all firemen have to run up and down ladders. I'm sure you'll come up with some irrelevant fact to counter my argument but surely there are administrative jobs in the fire service that those who were too old or physically unable to run up and down ladders could do :Erm:

Drive, inspect equipment, train the newbies :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

:icon_lol: So now 1000's of firemen at the front end are all to get admin jobs :crazy:

Why not the same for the police, the armed forces ?? :wink: Have you ever heard of the saying, "Too many chiefs, not enough Indians"? Next, Dedworth will be saying too many pen pushers not enough firemen :biggrin:

joebloggs
1st November 2014, 11:44
I :censored:y well hope so, most people start and run companies to earn a decent living :doh

Yes, some by getting their workers to work extra hours for nothing and paying them below the minimum wage. Pity the workers don't get a decent living standard, I'm alright Jack! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

SimonH
1st November 2014, 11:47
Yes, some by getting their workers to work extra hours for nothing and paying them below the minimum wage. Pity the workers don't get a decent living standard, I'm alright Jack! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

The relevant word being 'some' not 'all' Unfortunately Joe, that's life. :smile: There're good guys and bad guys - that will never change! :biggrin:

joebloggs
1st November 2014, 11:50
No of course not, we get breaks - basically wait for jobs. I also go home for food etc. But at anytime I'm avaialble and often have to put my dinner down to go and do a job - then fire it back up in the microwave. I'm starting now and I have a booking for 2.30 am Sunday.

:icon_lol: So you're like a retained fireman :biggrin:

A full rate contract is usually based on offering 120 hours of cover per week and a reduced rate contract attracting at least 75% of the retaining fee is payable for any other agreed level of cover.

http://www.fireservice.co.uk/recruitment/retained-firefighters

120 hrs a week :yikes:

15-hr shift sounds so good Les, unlike my 8hr days of not been able to leave work :cwm25:

joebloggs
1st November 2014, 11:51
The relevant word being 'some' not 'all' Unfortunately Joe, that's life. :smile: There're good guys and bad guys, that will never change! :biggrin:

So you agree there must be employers out there who exploit their workers! Of course there are good ones who pay them a fair wage for a fair day's work. :wink:

SimonH
1st November 2014, 11:51
:icon_lol: So now 1000's of firemen at the front end are all to get admin jobs? :crazy:

Why not the same for the police, the armed forces :wink: Have you ever heard of the saying "Too many chiefs, not enough Indians"?

Next, Dedworth will be saying too many pen pushers, not enough firemen :biggrin:

NO! These things don't happen overnight. What I'm saying is that those who are physically unable to do the job they applied for and wanted - and maybe had been doing perfectly well for 30 years - could be sidetracked into an admin role rather than say, "that's it, give me my pension", at whatever age it is now. The same as the vast majority of other workers in this country. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

SimonH
1st November 2014, 11:53
So you agree there must be employers out there who exploit their workers! Of course there are good ones who pay them a fair wage for a fair days work :wink:

Nothing not to agree with Joe, there are :action-smiley-081:holes in every walk of life. :icon_lol:

joebloggs
1st November 2014, 11:59
Nothing not to agree with Joe, there are :action-smiley-081:holes in every walk of life :icon_lol:

Then you can understand why some places have unions. And for your information, I've never been a union member nor a member of any political party :biggrin:

joebloggs
1st November 2014, 12:03
NO! These things don't happen overnight. What I'm saying is that those who are physically unable to do the job they applied for and wanted - and maybe had been doing perfectly well for 30 years - could be sidetracked into an admin role rather than say, "that's it, give me my pension", at whatever age it is now. The same as the vast majority of other workers in this country :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Well it should be the same for the police and ex-forces Oh hang on, that would be 1000's of people needing desk jobs. In an ideal world that would be good, but it's not. Many people say that's the problem with the NHS - too many penpushers and not enough doctors and nurses.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-203813/Army-cutbacks-shake-up.html

SimonH
1st November 2014, 12:12
Well it should be the same for the police and ex-forces. Oh hang on, that would be 1000's of people needing desk jobs. In an ideal world that would be good, but it's not. Many people say that's the problem with the NHS - too many penpushers and not enough doctors and nurses.

Not sure about the police. They start off plodding the beat and then should progress up the corporate ladder.

Ex-forces are exactly that 'Ex'. They signed up for x amount of years.

Totally agree about the NHS though, they're haemorrhaging (excuse the pun) money, something I am putting a stop to where I can. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
1st November 2014, 12:30
:icon_lol: So you're like a retained fireman :biggrin:

120 hrs a week :yikes:

15-hr shift sounds so good Les, unlike my 8hr days of not been able to leave work :cwm25:

I'm sure 15 hours is longer than 8!
I love my job. All created by me!

Ako Si Jamie
1st November 2014, 16:02
A fireman should be paid more than those oxygen bandits in Westminster. Currently MPs get more than twice what a fireman does and they don't even save lives, they just ruin them.

Michael Parnham
1st November 2014, 16:48
Do you think some employers exploit their workers ? I don't know who you worked for but were they well off ? Did you work more hours than your contract stated ?

Not interested whether my employer was well off or not, never had a contract in my life Joe! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

SimonH
1st November 2014, 16:58
A fireman should be paid more than those oxygen bandits in Westminster. Currently MPs get more than twice what a fireman does and they don't even save lives, they just ruin them.

You must have started :party-smiley-012::NEW1::66: early Jamie to come out with that one :crazy:

joebloggs
1st November 2014, 19:38
I'm sure 15 hours is longer than 8!
I love my job. All created by me!

I doubt you do more 'work' in your 15-hr shift than my 8 hrs Les, you're always on here. If I came on here btw 9 to 5 I'd get a warning for not working :NoNo:

joebloggs
1st November 2014, 19:42
Not interested whether my employer was well off or not, never had a contract in my life Joe! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:NoNo: Michael you sound like a decent guy, and i've had a few jobs in my time to know that some employers will exploit you if they can :NoNo:, a fair days pay for a fair days work i'm sure you agree with that :wink:

joebloggs
1st November 2014, 19:48
You must have started :party-smiley-012::NEW1::66: early Jamie to come out with that one :crazy:

Well I wonder how many MPs would go into a building that's on fire :cwm25: I'm sure not many of them, yet they get all the perks of being an MP, they get more holidays than anyone else for a start :NoNo:

:crazy::crazy::crazy:
145-day total is considerably less than the 224 working days most people in the UK work.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/25/mps-give-themselves-an-extra-weeks-holiday-in-2014-to-make-way-for-scottish-referendum-4200567/

les_taxi
1st November 2014, 19:51
i doubt you do more 'work' in your 15hr shift than my 8hr Les, your always on here, if i came on here btw 9 to 5 I'd get a warning for not working :NoNo:

That's a daft point totally different jobs Joe. I'm self employed I am the boss and have to be disaplined by myself.I don't drive for 15 hours non stop of course, but I can't put my work away after 8 hours.

andy222
1st November 2014, 19:55
I thought you were against unions ded? Seems like double standards to me.

SimonH
1st November 2014, 19:56
well i wonder how many MP's would go into a building that's on fire:cwm25: i'm sure not many of them, yet they get all the perks of being an MP, they get more holidays than anyone else for a start :NoNo:

:crazy::crazy::crazy:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/25/mps-give-themselves-an-extra-weeks-holiday-in-2014-to-make-way-for-scottish-referendum-4200567/

That reminds me I must put the clothes in the dryer :icon_lol:

joebloggs
1st November 2014, 20:06
I thought you were against unions ded? Seems like double standards to me.

no he is only against unions that he doesn't like :biggrin:, Rcn for some reason :Erm::cwm25: is one he likes :icon_lol:

joebloggs
1st November 2014, 20:40

talking of dryers :wink:

anyone who suffers from eczema

http://metro.co.uk/2014/11/01/washing-machine-cures-girl-9-of-her-crippling-eczema-4930975/

:biggrin:

SimonH
1st November 2014, 20:52
Joe, I'm re-assessing my opinion of you :biggrin:

My post about dryers was as about as relevant as your comment on MP's running into burning buildings to this topic :Erm:
No you've turned my comment on dryers into a touching story about a little girl suffering from eczema and a washing machine :icon_lol:

Joe, I have you sussed my friend :smile: With your skill at answering a question with something totally irrelevant but backing your views every time, then you must be a MP yourself.
Now all I have to do is find out which one :Rasp:

joebloggs
1st November 2014, 21:03
it's not irrelevant when those MP's who have more holidays than anyone else, are forcing firemen to work until they are 60yrs old, who have forced them to pay more for their pensions, wouldn't do the job the firemen do :NoNo:

have you ever been in a burning building :cwm25:, I'd guess from your opinions from this post, no you haven't, maybe you would change your opinion if you had :wink:

as for random :censored: your pretty good at that when you've got no factual answer to post:biggrin:

SimonH
1st November 2014, 21:11
have you ever been in a burning building :cwm25:, I'd guess from your opinions from this post, no you haven't, maybe you would change your opinion if you had :wink:

No, but I did have some lovely smoked salmon from Lidl tonight :hubbahubba:

www.lidl.co.uk/en/6764.htm?action=showDetail&id=17887

andy222
1st November 2014, 21:12
Anyway back on the topic fairplay to those who work in the Fire Service. If a strike is what it takes, go for it. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
1st November 2014, 21:16
Anyway back on the topic fair play to those who work in the Fire Service. If a strike is what it takes, go for it. :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

:xxgrinning--00xx3: To all those who work for the Emergency Services, even thou some on here take them for granted safely sat at work. Let's hope they don't need them one day :wink:

les_taxi
2nd November 2014, 00:21
To all those who work for the Emergency Services
Amen to that but again they choose to do it and get paid for it.
let's give the same praise to the civilian who jumps in a river to rescue a kid,or our brave soldiers having to stop and search a possible suicide bomber.

No one on here takes them for granted:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
2nd November 2014, 08:55
:NoNo: Michael you sound like a decent guy, and I've had a few jobs in my time to know that some employers will exploit you if they can :NoNo:, a fair days pay for a fair days work i'm sure you agree with that :wink:

Joe, I was happy in my job whilst doing the practical side of the job from 1960 up until 1980 but was almost happy from 1980 up until retirement whilst learning and doing the management side of the job, I suppose in a way I was exploited most of my working life but having said that I was grateful for having a job. Pay rises were the thing we never received, so in order to get a pay rise most people in the same job as I was used to change companies about every five years, luckily it was an industry that was always looking for workers and staff! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 09:15
I suppose in a way I was exploited most of my working life but having said that I was grateful for having a job. Pay rises were the thing we never received, so in order to get a pay rise most people in the same job as I was used to change companies about every five years, luckily it was an industry that was always looking for workers and staff! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sure, the world doesn't owe anyone a living, but as I've said you should be paid a decent wage for a decent days work.

It's still like that today, I know someone who has not had a wage rise in 14yrs, the only increase in their wage was due to changes in tax and the increase in the minimum wage.

Don't you think that's a pretty :censored: employer, when they don't increase your wage after working there for years ? And due to inflation, you've have less money to spend each year, many people get a increase annually.

People will tell you any job is better than no job, it probably is but that doesn't stop people being exploited by employers :NoNo:

Ako Si Jamie
2nd November 2014, 09:18
You must have started :party-smiley-012::NEW1::66: early Jamie to come out with that one :crazy:I would have done if I'd a subsidised bar to frequent. :wink:

Ako Si Jamie
2nd November 2014, 09:26
If that's true, and Dedworth's neighbour can get £20 o\t then why is he doing another second job? :cwm25: Maybe there is no O/T to be done :Erm:

And £29k a yr wouldn't buy you much up norf - never mind in Berks :NoNo:I think it's fair they should trouser in the region of £40k. On the other hand MP's should be brought back into the real world and their salary should be on par with what the average person in the UK gets, which equates to about a third of what they currently receive. Too many of these politicians are only in it for the money.

SimonH
2nd November 2014, 09:31
I think it's fair they should trouser in the region of £40k. On the other hand MP's should be brought back into the real world and their salary should be on par with what the average person in the UK gets, which equates to about a third of what they currently receive. Too many of these politicians are only in it for the money.

Are you totally mad :crazy: You're saying a firefighter should get @ £40K whereas a MP should get paid £26.5K :laugher::laugher::laugher::laugher:
I'd love to know what you do for a living :cwm25:

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 10:01
I think it's fair they should trouser in the region of £40k. On the other hand MP's should be brought back into the real world and their salary should be on par with what the average person in the UK gets, which equates to about a third of what they currently receive. Too many of these politicians are only in it for the money.

True, how many MPs have saved anyone life ? not many
many have 'seconds jobs', one i posted about earlier was on £750,000 a yr, he had even left Parliament to go to his 'second job' :doh in the real world he would have got sacked for that :doh

How can he represent his constituency when he's doing another job :NoNo:

SimonH
2nd November 2014, 10:05
So let me get this straight, what you're both saying is that firefighters should get £40K a year. An MP's job is not putting out fires and saving peoples lives and therefore they should get paid £26.5K a year and this will prevent them going out and getting second jobs :doh

It must be great living on planet Jamie & Joe :crazy:

Dedworth
2nd November 2014, 10:45
Amen to that but again they choose to do it and get paid for it.
let;s give the same praise to the civilian who jumps in a river to rescue a kid,or our brave soldiers having to stop and search a possible suicide bomber.
no one on here takes them for granted:xxgrinning--00xx3:

No risk assessments needed either Les :Erm:

How many firefighters does it take to save a drowning seagull from a 3ft deep pond?

Onlookers in Carshalton pondered this question after health and safety rules prevented 25 firefighters from saving a stricken bird, which had become tangled in a plastic bag.

The farcical scenes at Carshalton Ponds on Saturday saw five fire crews scrambled to save the adult herring gull, which was struggling to survive in the ponds after getting its foot caught in the bag.

But after a health and safety assessment when the five crews arrived shortly after 2pm, it was deemed it was not safe for firefighters to wade out in the waist-deep water to save the floundering bird.

After a stand-off, it was left to a wildlife centre volunteer to pull on his waders and walk out to save the bird.

Dedworth
2nd November 2014, 10:46

Correction - flat planet

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 11:49
Correction - flat planet

Real world Dedworth, unlike your world of double standards, how many posts have you made on here about troughing Labour MPs, oh you hardly ever mention the Tory ones :wink:

You think £29k a year is good pay for a fireman ? And you think an MP is worthy of
£67,060. MPs also receive expenses to cover the costs of running an office, employing staff, having somewhere to live in London and in their constituency, and travelling between Parliament and their constituency. Let's not forget working only 145 days a year :icon_lol:

Longweekend
2nd November 2014, 12:02
Joe, I think you will find that it may only be 145 days a year in parliament but when not there they will/should be in their constituency....

les_taxi
2nd November 2014, 12:02
I feel silly saying the same thing, but with Joe on wacky baccy or something, it has to be done.

The people who chose to be Fireman do it out of free will-they know the wage so they don't need bigging up

Why are we comparing it to MPs/Why not compare it to footballers or Golfers, Pop Stars, etc?

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 12:13
Joe, I think you will find that it may only be 145 days a year in parliament but when not there they will/should be in their constituency....

:icon_lol: I know that, I doubt there is 1 day in a week you could actually go and see your MP, they probably don't have the time doing their second job and claiming expenses.

http://www.parliament.uk/about/faqs/house-of-commons-faqs/business-faq-page/recess-dates/

I wish I had holidays like that :wink:

malolos
2nd November 2014, 12:14
Dedworth,

You should contact the 'Elf and Safety' and ask them why most firefighters on a shout cannot do their jobs as they used to be before these idiotic rules came out.

You are not even allowed to carry a tool box on you own now so how stupid is that.

Remember the summer of 1976 when many men did not go home for days? Who goes in when others run out?

les_taxi
2nd November 2014, 12:22
Health and Safety does my head in. For a while we had to carry a First Aid kit in our taxis - but were not allowed to use it on a customer if needed. :doh

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 12:23
I feel silly saying the same thing but with Joe on wacky baccy or something, it has to be done.

The people who chose to be Fireman do it out of free will-they know the wage so they don't need bigging up

Why are we comparing it to MPs /Why not compare it to footballers or Golfers, Pop Stars, etc?

It's this Tory gov and MPs who are refusing the NHS a 1% increase and forcing the firemen to work until they are 60 :doh

Les, maybe you've been up all night waiting for your rich customers to call :wink: and had no sleep. If you had thought for 1 second you would realise when they started working as firemen they were not forced to work doing front-line duties until they were 60. Now the gov has decided to force them to, so your point is irrelevant. When they started as firemen they had not agreed to that :doh

SimonH
2nd November 2014, 12:28
Someone once said to me many years ago, "Don't ever argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 12:29
Health and Safety does my head in. For a while we had to carry a First Aid kit in our taxis - but were not allowed to use it on a customer if needed. :doh

Les, if you want to, why not? :anerikke: At worst, they could sue you - if something went wrong - for not being a trained first aider. :wink:

Where there might be a blame there is a claim :wink: Why'd my misses have to pay £6,000 to MDU to defend her against :censored: takers :NoNo:

les_taxi
2nd November 2014, 12:31
No, as always you have gone off topic Joe bemoaning their wage not their pension rights or retiring age.

This was what I was replying to
you think £29k a year is good pay for a firemen ?

Yes tired, got to bed at 3 am - so I'm grumpy - which you always add to :biggrin:

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 12:31
Someone once said to me many years ago, "Don't ever argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"

:xxgrinning--00xx3: That's why I don't reply to many of your posts, I usually only reply to people who have something to contribute to the forum :wink:

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 12:33
No, as always you have gone off topic Joe, bemoaning their wage, not their pension rights or retiring age.

Yes tired, got to bed at 3am - so I'm grumpy - which you always add to :biggrin:

Well you're going to be even more grumpy by 3 pm today :biggrin:

:xxparty-smiley-004:

les_taxi
2nd November 2014, 12:34
Les, if you want to, why not? :anerikke: At worst, they could sue you - if something went wrong - for not being a trained first aider

That was the reason mooted so we were not forced to carry them any more.

Also I have to carry a fire extinguisher - so, in effect, I am a part-time fireman :icon_lol:

Great I can go on strike and sing, #You wont get me I'm part of the union# :xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
2nd November 2014, 12:35
That's why I don't reply to many of your posts, I usually only reply to people who have something to contribute to the forum

I'm thinking Joe (probably Joanne in real life) is a woman as he is such a bitch. :biggrin:

malolos
2nd November 2014, 12:37
I feel silly saying the same thing but with Joe on wacky baccy or something, it has to be done.

The people who chose to be Fireman do it out of freewill - they know the wage, so they don't need bigging up

Why are we comparing it to MPs /Why not compare it to footballers or Golfers, Pop Stars, etc.

YOU CERTAINLY MADE A STATEMENT THERE Les, you and Dedworth need to call the Army in an emergency.

I chose to join the Fire Brigade because it's the job that I wanted to do - and would do it again if I was 18 again - and yes I had a choice.

You dinosaurs think it's normal to expect a firefighter to work longer hours for less pay. Would you? Can you run me round your town for half price or would that be taking the urine?

I got called out at 2 am to a house fire today and got back home at 11.30. So we are there when needed - any time of day or night. Want to swap jobs as you both think its so easy?

Forest fire 3 weeks ago - 54 hours straight until it was controlled! Will invite you both to work with us next summer and see how you both shape up.

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 12:38
No, as always you have gone off topic Joe, bemoaning their wage not their pension rights or retiring age.

Pension Rights Les? They pay that 14.%+ out of their wage. It's not about retiring, I believe they can get their pension at 60 - same as the Police and Armed Forces - what they are objecting to, is being forced to work on the front-line until they are 60 !!

You don't see bobbies on the beat any more, but I'm sure you would say something if 60 yr-olds were on the front-line fight the Taliban :doh

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 12:40
I'm thinking Joe (probably joanne) in real life is a woman as he is such a bitch:icon_lol:

Your avatar says it all Lesley :76:

:icon_lol:

SimonH
2nd November 2014, 12:41
YOU CERTAINLY MADE A STATEMENT THERE Les, you and Dedworth need to call the Army in an emergency.

I chose to join the Fire Brigade because its the job that I wanted to do - and would do it again if I was 18 again - and yes I had a choice.

You dinosaurs think its normal to expect a firefighter to work longer hours for less pay. Would you? Can you run me round your town for half price or would that be taking the urine.

I got called out at 2 am to a house fire today and got back home at 11.30. So we are there when needed any time of day or night. Want to swap jobs as you both think its so easy?

Forest fire 3 weeks ago 54 hours straight until it was controlled! Will invite you both to work with us next summer and see how you both shape up.

Thought you were in Spain :Erm:

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 12:43
That was the reason mooted so we were not forced to carry them anymore.

Also I have to carry a fire extinguisher so, in effect, I am a part time fireman :icon_lol:

Great I can go on strike and sing, # You won't get me - I'm part of the union# :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Well this gov and the next [Miliband] one :biggrin: need to end these ambulance chasers :NoNo:

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 12:48

I chose to join the Fire Brigade because it's the job that I wanted to do - and would do it again if I was 18 again - and yes, I had a choice.

You dinosaurs think its normal to expect a firefighter to work longer hours for less pay. Would you? Can you run me round your town for half price - or would that be taking the urine?

I got called out at 2 am to a house fire today and got back home at 11.30. So we are there when needed any time of day or night. Want to swap jobs as you both think its so easy?

Forest fire 3 weeks ago 54 hours straight until it was controlled! Will invite you both to work with us next summer and see how you both shape up.

:icon_sorry: Well you and the other Emergency Services do a great job! :xxgrinning--00xx3: Pity some on here think less of you. :NoNo: Oh they will change their tune when they need the Emergency Services :mad:

malolos
2nd November 2014, 12:52
SimonH,

Have a house in Spain and UK family house in Scotland.

SimonH
2nd November 2014, 12:55
:icon_sorry: Well you and the other Emergency Services do a great job! :xxgrinning--00xx3: Pity some on here think less of you. :NoNo:, Oh they'll change their tune when they need the Emergency Services :mad:

That's the second time you've mentioned other members thinking less of Essential Service employees or taking them for granted.

I'd love for you to come out and say who you're actually insinuating thinks this way :Erm:

les_taxi
2nd November 2014, 13:02
Not dinosuars at all, just live in the real world - and it's tougher than it used to be for everyone.

Once again I'm not slagging firefighters off.

Yes, if you said to me, "Do you earn less than you used to for the same hours?" I would say, "Most definitely, yes".

I can say this, I have had to deal with 'abusive - want a fight with you - drunks', Malos and have had a gun waved in my car, so it's not all blue rinse old dears in my job.

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 13:03
Are you totally mad :crazy: You're saying a firefighter should get @ £40K whereas a MP should get paid £26.5K :laugher::laugher::laugher::laugher:
I'd love to know what you do for a living :cwm25:

So let me get this straight, what you're both saying is that firefighters should get £40K a year. An MP's job is not putting out fires and saving peoples lives and therefore they should get paid £26.5K a year and this will prevent them going out and getting second jobs :doh

That's the second time you've mentioned other members thinking less of essential service employees or taking them for granted. I'd love for you to come out and say who you're actually insinuating thinks this way :Erm:

“It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt”

― Mark Twain

:wink:

SimonH
2nd November 2014, 13:09
“It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt”

― Mark Twain

:wink:

All in response to your ridiculous arguments Joe :Cuckoo:

By quoting that, are you accusing me of thinking less of firefighters? :Erm:

I certainly hope not :cwm23:

fred
2nd November 2014, 13:09
I never really cared very much about bitching to employers about pay.. If I didn't like the pay I`d give them an ultimatum..If that didnt work, I left and either found another job or created one like Les did.

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 13:10
I can say this, I have had to deal with 'abusive - want a fight with you - drunks', Malos and have had a gun waved in car, so its not all blue rinse old dears in my job.

That's the same abuse emergency workers put up with too; also bus drivers and NHS workers :NoNo:

fred
2nd November 2014, 13:13
That's the same abuse emergency workers put up with to, also bus drivers and NHS workers :NoNo:

If you don't like it DON'T be an NHS worker or a Bus driver!

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 13:16
If you don't like it DON'T be an NHS worker or a Bus driver!

Taxi driver or emergency worker, I doubt it's in their contract that they might face abuse or be assaulted, nor should anyone expect to be, doing their job. :NoNo:

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 13:20
I never really cared very much about bitching to employers about pay..If I didn't like the pay I`d give them an ultimatum..If that didnt work, I left and either found another job or created one like Les did.

Well when its your career and you've been doing the same job for years, and there is only 1 employer who makes and breaks the terms and conditions of your employment, then the last option they have is to strike when the gov makes a major change to your employment.

SimonH
2nd November 2014, 13:25
Well when its your career and you've been doing the same job for years, and there is only 1 employer who makes and breaks the terms and conditions of your employment, then the last option they have is to strike when the gov makes a major change to your employment.

:xxparty-smiley-050::xxparty-smiley-050::appl::appl::huepfen024::huepfen024: Breakout the bunting, call the press, Joe has actually made a comment relevant to the topic :omg:

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 13:36

No, but I did have some lovely smoked salmon from Lidl tonight :hubbahubba:

www.lidl.co.uk/en/6764.htm?action=showDetail&id=17887

:xxparty-smiley-050::xxparty-smiley-050::appl::appl::huepfen024::huepfen024: Breakout the bunting, call the press, Joe has actually made a comment relevant to the topic :omg:

Pity can't say the same for you :biggrin:

Longweekend
2nd November 2014, 13:37
Joe, do you really believe that a contract of employment should never be altered, changed or amended? meaning that a contract which was written in the 1940's should still be honoured in 2014.....

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 13:43
Joe, do you really believe that a Contract of Employment should never be altered, changed or amended? Meaning that a contract which was written in the 1940s should still be honoured in 2014.....

Of course contracts are changed, but a contract is an agreement btw 2 parties this has been forced on them. I remember when the gov was taken to court over Tier Visas and the courts ruled the changes were unfair, expecting someone to work on the front line until they are 60 is a major change.

fred
2nd November 2014, 13:45

Personally I would never have tied myself down to a career like that.
Working is bad enough!! Thats why I jacked it in and come over here!

It must be very frustrating for a dedicated Fireman being told that he cannot attend an emergency call because he`s on strike and has to mind a picket line..

Personally I could not reconcile that with my conscience..I`d leave, no doubt about it.

Longweekend
2nd November 2014, 13:49
How about a level playing field Joe:

Peddling images of wizened, elderly figures trying to climb ladders, the union tells us a rise in the retirement age to 60 will be a serious threat to public safety. But this is nonsense.
For a start, fire-fighters will be able to continue in service only if they pass a fitness test, as happens in other physically demanding, publicly paid jobs such as the police and the Army, where the retirement age is 60.
Moreover, almost every other fire service in the world sets the retirement threshold at 60. Some have even higher age limits. In Germany, one of the best run, safety-conscious nations on earth, 65 is the retirement age, while in Australia it is 63.

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 13:55
Personally I would never have tied myself down to a career like that.
Working is bad enough!! Thats why I jacked it in and come over here!

It must be very frustrating for a dedicated Fireman being told that he cannot attend an emergency call because he`s on strike and has to mind a picket line..

Personally I could not reconcile that with my conscience..I`d leave, no doubt about it.

Should be no problem with their consciences as they have not refused to attend emergency calls. If there were problems, they would have made the front page of the 'Daily Snail' and Dedworth would have posted about them :cwm25:

Dedworth
2nd November 2014, 13:59
Dedworth, you should contact the 'Elf and Safety' and ask them why most firefighters on a shout cannot do their jobs as used to be before these idiotic rules came out.

You are not even allowed to carry a tool box on you own now so how stupid is that!

Remember the summer of 1976 when many men did not go home for days. Who goes in when others run out?

This goes to prove that Joe is in 'Fireman Sam Land' when he imagines 60 year olds laden with 100 lbs of equipment carrying someone down a ladder

les_taxi
2nd November 2014, 14:00
that's the same abuse emergency workers put up with to, also bus drivers and NHS workers
Difference being I could be miles from anywhere on a country lane with 4 lads wanting to give me a kicking.
i'm totally on my own on that one in a confined space.
But again i don't moan about my job,my pay at all-just get on with it :xxgrinning--00xx3:
i chose to do it no one forced me and I also took financial gamble rather than play it safe and stay in a job i had got bored with:biggrin:

Dedworth
2nd November 2014, 14:01

Peddling images of wizened, elderly figures trying to climb ladders, the union tells us a rise in the retirement age to 60 will be a serious threat to public safety. But this is nonsense.
For a start, fire-fighters will be able to continue in service only if they pass a fitness test, as happens in other physically demanding, publicly paid jobs such as the police and the Army, where the retirement age is 60.
[I]Moreover, almost every other fire service in the world sets the retirement threshold at 60. Some have even higher age limits. In Germany, one of the best run, safety-conscious nations on earth, 65 is the retirement age, while in Australia it is 63.

Facts like those don't suit Joe's argument :laugher:

les_taxi
2nd November 2014, 14:01

Peddling images of wizened, elderly figures trying to climb ladders, the Union tells us a rise in the retirement age to 60 will be a serious threat to public safety. But this is nonsense.

[I]Moreover, almost every other fire service in the world sets the retirement threshold at 60. Some have even higher age limits. In Germany, one of the best run, safety-conscious nations on earth, 65 is the retirement age, while in Australia it is 63.

Good call! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 14:08
How about a level playing field Joe?

I think you're wrong, unless you can post me a link. Soldiers do not go on the front line until they are 60 or anywhere near that age. They can claim there pension at 60.

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 14:10
Facts like those don't suit Joes argument :laugher:

tell me dedworth as you know the armed forces so well, what is the maximum age a British solider can be sent to the front line, i wait your fact based reply. with link :biggrin:

les_taxi
2nd November 2014, 14:14
It's 18 as the squaddies tell me.

Found this link too - what a great kid! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2092025/Adam-Wilkie-17-lies-age-fight-Taliban-hes-young-play-Call-Duty.html

Longweekend
2nd November 2014, 14:14
No comments on this Joe?

Moreover, almost every other fire service in the world sets the retirement threshold at 60. Some have even higher age limits. In Germany, one of the best run, safety-conscious nations on earth, 65 is the retirement age, while in Australia it is 63.

les_taxi
2nd November 2014, 14:15
No, he will use diversionary tactics :icon_lol:

Joe is a good sport though! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
2nd November 2014, 14:19
Tell me Dedworth, as you know the armed forces so well, what is the maximum age a British solider can be sent to the front line, I wait your fact based reply. With link :biggrin:

Another drift off topic Joe. I can't be bothered to look it up but chalk & cheese Armed Forces are not Emergency Services.

Perhaps you ought to think of it another way - the youngest age an infantry private can go into combat, compared with the youngest a firefighter can read the risk assessment :-

A man who fell into a lake drowned after firefighters called to the scene said they could not enter the water if it was higher than ankle deep for health and safety reasons, an inquest has been told.

Simon Burgess, a 41-year-old charity shop worker died at Walpole Park, in Gosport, Hampshire, on 10 March. He is believed to have had an epileptic seizure either before or after falling into the water while feeding swans.

Witnesses raised the alarm, but the hearing was told on Tuesday that members of a fire crew refused to get to him because the water was more than ankle deep. Instead, they waited for a specialist water rescue team and Burgess was only taken out of the lake 28 minutes after the alarm was raised.

Gillian Hughes, 53, told the inquest, at Portsmouth coroners court, that she had phoned Emergency Services and urged them to rescue Burgess when they arrived. She said: "The firemen arrived with the police, and I said: 'He's only been there five or 10 minutes, so if you hurry you might save him.'

"He just said: 'We're not allowed', and I said: 'But that's your job.'

Hughes added: "I said to one of the firemen: 'Why don't you go in?' and he said they couldn't if the water was higher than ankle deep. I said: 'You're having a laugh'. He said: 'No, that's health and safety' – but I thought that was their job."

She said that another fire crew arrived and started walking around the lake, putting in a pole and measuring the depth but, by this time, Burgess had drifted from one side of the lake to the other.

Deborah Coles, the Control Room Manager at Hampshire Fire and Rescue, told the inquest that she took the call from Hughes at 12.17 pm and, within a minute, had sent a fire appliance, a water rescue trained crew and a water support unit.

"Police, ambulance and coastguard were also sent as standard for a water rescue," she added. "The specialist teams are there to deal with water which is over half a boot in depth. At 12.20 pm, the fire crew confirmed attendance and at 12.25 they told us a male was floating face down."

"The water support unit arrived at 12.31 pm. At 12.46, we received a message requesting our press officer attend the scene. At 12.52, an update came in saying a male had been recovered, and at 12.58 he was taken to hospital."

Burgess was pronounced dead at 1.42 pm after he was taken to hospital.

Dr Bret Lockyer, the Speciality Registrar of Histopathology, told the inquest there were signs that Burgess had fallen into the lake because of an epileptic seizure.

Burgess was diagnosed with the condition in 1987, and had unsuccessful brain surgery to ease the seizures. Lockyer said: "If he had been taken out of the water after 10 minutes, there is a slim chance he could have been resuscitated.

"It seems he had a seizure either before or while he fell into the water."

The hearing continues.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/feb/22/man-drowned-lake-firefighters

I'm not knocking firefighters they have their hands tied by the nanny state

bigmarco
2nd November 2014, 14:21
Solidarity with our comrades in the FBU. I've been off this weekend but if the strikes still ongoing on Tuesday I won't be taking a train into any tunnels.

Refusal to work on the grounds of Health and Safety for fear of danger to my passengers as 27 engines in 32 boroughs manned by doughnuts will be no good if we have a repeat of 7/7

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 14:39
It's 18 as the squaddies tell me.

:doh Maximum age Leslie?

No comments on this Joe?

Moreover, almost every other Fire Service in the world sets the retirement threshold at 60. Some have even higher age limits. In Germany, one of the best run, safety-conscious nations on earth, 65 is the retirement age, while in Australia it is 63.

And they work on the frontline, fighting fires at that age, or the age they can claim their pension ?

Another drift off topic Joe. I can't be bothered to look it up. But chalk & cheese - armed forces are not Emergency Services.

Not good enough Dedworth, I know you know. What's the maximum age you can join the Army, something like 32? How long can you sign up for 4 or 8 yrs ?

So there are probably few fighting at the frontline who are over 40 :Erm: I wonder why, Dedworth

But it's ok for a firefighter to be at the frontline until they are 60 :icon_lol:

fred
2nd November 2014, 14:43
In this video.. Joe appears at 0.35 and look! Andy is right there behind him!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfBmKZVPPHc

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 14:46
In this video.. Joe appears at 0.35 and look! Andy is right there behind him!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfBmKZVPPHc

I don't have 2 mins to waste watching that. More important things to watch, like football :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
2nd November 2014, 15:01
:doh Maximum age Leslie

And they work on the frontline, fighting fires at that age, or the age they can claim their pension ?

Not good enough Dedworth, I know you know. What's the maximum age you can join the Army? Something like 32? How long can you sign up for 4 or 8 yrs ?

So there are probably few fighting at the frontline who are over 40 :Erm: I wonder why dedworth

But it's ok for a firefighter to be at the frontline until they are 60 :icon_lol:

Bit of a different front line Joe - in your Publicly Funded, Unionised, 'Elf & Safety' wonderland you'd like to see the Royal Marines called out to rescue a cat stuck up a tree 'cos they're dossing around in barracks rather than being in a combat zone

les_taxi
2nd November 2014, 15:07
Maximum age Lesley

Ok you win on that one point I misread, but lose it again for incorrect spelling of my name! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 15:25
I'm thinking Joe (probably Joanne in real life) is a woman, as he is such a bitch. :biggrin:

Ok you win on that one point I misread, but lose it again for incorrect spelling of my name! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I think I got your name right :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
2nd November 2014, 15:28
i think i got your name right :xxgrinning--00xx3:

What? Is it half time Joe? :icon_lol:

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 15:29
Bit of a different front line Joe - in your Publicly Funded, Unionised, 'Elf & Safety' wonderland you'd like to see the Royal Marines called out to rescue a cat stuck up a tree 'cos they're dossing around in barracks rather than being in a combat zone

Is it, in what way ? Carrying heavy equipment? Going into dangerous situations? :cwm25:

As for rescuing a cat, you were calling them for not rescuing a duck a few posts ago :doh

Truth is Dedworth, they are too old. What other reason can there be? Yet firemen have to work for another 20 yrs :NoNo:

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 15:30
What? Is it half time Joe? :icon_lol:

It is :xxgrinning--00xx3: not good for United at the mo, but they're holding on.

Not bothered who wins, as long as one wins :wink:

les_taxi
2nd November 2014, 15:36
Shame about red card - City will go on to win no doubt! :doh

Longweekend
2nd November 2014, 16:59
Just had an interesting chat with a pal whose neighbour is a fireman in Manchester.

Apparently he does a 14 x hour 3 x night shift per week, and sleeps for most of that. Rest of the time he looks after his gardening business...

les_taxi
2nd November 2014, 17:05
Just had an interesting chat with a pal whose neighbour is a fireman in Manchester. Apparently he does a 14 x hour 3 x night shift per week, and sleeps for most of that. Rest of the time he looks after his gardening business...

How can that be? :icon_lol:

Dedworth
2nd November 2014, 17:08

Sounds like he's got a strong union looking out for him :icon_lol:

Longweekend
2nd November 2014, 17:22
How can that be :icon_lol:

Hours

You could work full-time or as a part-time (retained) firefighter. If you are full-time, you will usually work 42 hours a week, which includes day and night shifts to cover a 24-hour service.

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 17:31
Just had an interesting chat with a pal whose neighbour is a fireman in Manchester. Apparently he does a 14 x hour 3 x night shift per week, and sleeps for most of that. Rest of the time he looks after his gardening business...

Dedworth's neighbour is also a fireman, sounds like the same guy :icon_lol:

Sounds like one of your 15-hr shifts :icon_lol:

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 17:41
Hours

You could work full-time or as a part-time (retained) firefighter. If you are full-time, you will usually work 42 hours a week, which includes day and night shifts to cover a 24-hour service.

Only problem is ....

... when they are needed and they have a maximum of 5 minutes to report to the fire station and mobilise the necessary appliance(s). Retained firefighters will have other occupations, but when the call comes they drop whatever they are doing and become part of a team. Depending on the type of cover given, a retained firefighter may respond from home and/or work, day and/or night.

les_taxi
2nd November 2014, 17:42
Yep, mine actually was 15 hours :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Anyway, off on a date tonight so need my energy :do_it:

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 17:45
Yep, mine actually was 15 hours :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Anyway, off on a date tonight so need my energy :do_it:

Sounds like you have loads of energy after your 15-hr shift. :biggrin: Funny, when my misses worked a 12-hr shift, she was working non-stop and I found her asleep in the car when she got home. :NEW5:

Longweekend
2nd November 2014, 17:46
Taking her somewhere I hope Les.....:biggrin:

les_taxi
2nd November 2014, 17:48
Work hard, play hard, Joe :biggrin:

It's a 3rd date - so off round to hers :biggrin:

les_taxi
2nd November 2014, 17:53
If it gets too much - as she is a lot younger than me - I will just join the Fire Service so I can have a good kip and work a 40 hour week :icon_lol:

joebloggs
2nd November 2014, 17:59
Work hard, play hard, Joe :biggrin:

It's a 3rd date - so off round to hers :biggrin:

Are you going in a taxi? :biggrin:

Have a good time Les :xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
2nd November 2014, 18:16
Thank you Joe - driving myself as might not be able to walk back! :hubbahubba:

Michael Parnham
5th November 2014, 19:34
Thank you Joe - driving myself as might not be able to walk back! :hubbahubba:

:omg:

les_taxi
5th November 2014, 21:29
Went very well indeed :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
9th November 2014, 01:26

It must be great living on planet Jamie & Joe :crazy:So you're basically saying an MP needs a second job and can't survive on £26k? :doh

Get some fresh air, Simon :icon_lol:

SimonH
9th November 2014, 08:08
So you're basically saying an MP needs a second job and can't survive on £26k? :doh

Get some fresh air, Simon :icon_lol:

Jamie, I can only assume you were drunk when you wrote that :icon_lol:

I pay my secretary close on £26K a year and my office is 30 miles outside London and you are seriously suggesting that MP's should get paid the national average wage :doh