PDA

View Full Version : Apply Citizenship but more than 90 days absent last 12 months...

John.C
23rd November 2014, 16:04
My friend got her ILR just over 12 months ago.
I want her to apply for British Citizenship right now! She passes all the rules.
Except.....She has had more than 90 days out of UK in the last 12 months.
1st absence - approx 28 days holiday in April 2014
2nd Absence - She had a major operation in the UK summer 2014 and went to Phillippines to recover and be nursed by her daughters. This was 89 days.

There is some thought among our friends that the second period could count as permitted absence. I would be very grateful if anyone could offer an opinion!!
(I can see on the Home Office website that there is wiggle room on absences if you have family in the UK and property interests....??? She has a "Niece" in Northern Ireland but she is in fact the daughter of a cousin. And my friend is settled in a property with a reputable Landlord. Does that help?)

Any thoughts please!

Terpe
23rd November 2014, 16:23
My friend got her ILR just over 12 months ago.
I want her to apply for British Citizenship right now! She passes all the rules.
Except.....She has had more than 90 days out of UK in the last 12 months.
1st absence - approx 28 days holiday in April 2014
2nd Absence - She had a major operation in the UK summer 2014 and went to Phillippines to recover and be nursed by her daughters. This was 89 days.

There is some thought among our friends that the second period could count as permitted absence. I would be very grateful if anyone could offer an opinion!!
(I can see on the Home Office website that there is wiggle room on absences if you have family in the UK and property interests....??? She has a "Niece" in Northern Ireland but she is in fact the daughter of a cousin. And my friend is settled in a property with a reputable Landlord. Does that help?)

Any thoughts please!

Take a look at the AN booklet here (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/300182/booklet-an.pdf)

Specifically at page 8

I wouldn't worry, based on what you've shared there should be no problem at all.

There's quite a lenient discretionary approach.

John.C
23rd November 2014, 19:42
Thank you Terpe!