PDA

View Full Version : Freaky Feasts

Terpe
2nd January 2015, 07:10
Idol’s Eatery, a roadside eatery at the back of Paoay Church in Ilocos Norte, is known for its three dishes — dinakdakan, fried bara and fried bagis.

These dishes, made of everything but pig meat, are popular with the male locals who treat them as bar chow.

Dinakdakan was composed of chopped pig’s brain, tongue, ears and everything you see in a pig’s face (except the eyeballs).

These were boiled, grilled and mixed with mayonnaise, which masked the taste of pig's brain. The texture was crunchy and the taste was sour; it would be understandable if you mistook this for just chopped pork since it's also mixed with pig meat and skin. It was nearly as good as eating a crispy lechon.

The next two dishes were served with two kinds of dips: pig's blood and vinegar.

Fried bagis, made of pig's intestines, tasted good with vingear. Fried bara, made with pig's lungs, had a mettalic taste and weird texture which softened when mixed with vinegar. These two dishes were quite oily and so a cold bottle of beer was in order to wash down the taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sfc6vSDtIk&feature=player_detailpage

Source (http://manila.coconuts.co/2014/12/26/freaky-feasts-14-pinoy-style-offal-dinakdakan-bagis-and-bara)

Terpe
2nd January 2015, 07:13
I've eaten Dinakdakan and very tasty it was too :hubbahubba:

My days of sampling roadside foods are very few and far between the older I get :olddude:

Not fond of lungs. Although the other day I had some kind of fish lungs ...... it was tasty too

Michael Parnham
2nd January 2015, 08:27
I've eaten Dinakdakan and very tasty it was too :hubbahubba:

My days of sampling roadside foods are very few and far between the older I get :olddude:

Not fond of lungs. Although the other day I had some kind of fish lungs ...... it was tasty too

Sorry Peter, rather you than me, can't eat my yummy Shredded Wheat now, just put me off having breakfast!:NoNo:

SimonH
2nd January 2015, 09:43
Sorry Peter, rather you than me, can't eat my yummy Shredded Wheat now, just put me off having breakfast! :NoNo:

Shredded Wheat? What's wrong with good old Black Pudding with eggs and bacon?

Steve.r
2nd January 2015, 11:55
Fish lungs Peter? I was sure they had gills.

Michael Parnham
2nd January 2015, 16:51
Shredded Wheat? What's wrong with good old Black Pudding with eggs and bacon?

I have a different breakfast every morning of the week Simon!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
3rd January 2015, 00:07
Fish lungs Peter? I was sure they had gills.

Probably lost in translation :doh
Lungfish ??

Don't they also have lungs :Erm:

Terpe
3rd January 2015, 00:12
I had a craving for British black pudding over Christmas

Just not available here.:NoNo:

I knew I should have shipped over that sausage machine.
Keep thinking about good old British bangers :doh

Funny the food you miss when it's just not available