PDA

View Full Version : Health insurance

stevewool
14th March 2015, 18:09
For those who are living over in the Philippines, have you got health insurance? If you have, what do you pay and what does that cover??

I have been looking around and the fees are out of this world - £4,900 - and that's a starter plan! I wonder if that's peso? :Erm:

Anyway, can you help me out? I have heard about Phil Health, but are there others that are around say £500 a year or am I blowing in the wind?

Michael Parnham
14th March 2015, 19:22
For those who are living over in the Philippines, have you got health insurance? If you have, what do you pay and what does that cover??

I have been looking around and the fees are out of this world - £4,900 - and that's a starter plan! I wonder if that's peso? :Erm:

Anyway, can you help me out? I have heard about Phil Health, but are there others that are around say £500 a year or am I blowing in the wind?

Phil Health is p300 per month! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
14th March 2015, 23:05
Good question.

fred
15th March 2015, 00:05
A lot of local companies give their long term employees Medicare as well as Philhealth..
Have a look here Steve..

Individual and Family Program

INDIVIDUAL & FAMILY RATES (Plan Category)
Without AHMC, MMC, SLMC-QC and SLMC-Global City, TMC & CSMC (What does this mean?)

WARD
SEMI PRIVATE

Limit for Dreaded Diseases
P 50,000.00
P 60,000.00

ANNUAL
ANNUAL

Principal Member only
P 8,949
P 10,041

Principal + 1 dependent

Principal + 2 dependents

Principal + 3 dependents

Principal + 4 or MORE deps

With AHMC, MMC, SLMC-QC, TMC & CSMC; without SLMC-Global City

SEMI PRIVATE w/o AHMC
SMALL PRIVATE

Limit for Dreaded Diseases
P 100,000.00
P 120,000.00

ANNUAL
ANNUAL

Principal Member only
P 15,708

P 18,257

Principal + 1 dependent

Principal + 2 dependents

Principal + 3 dependents

Principal + 4 MORE deps

http://www.medicardphils.com/individual-and-family-program/

fred
15th March 2015, 00:42
Principal + 1 dependent

So just under 3k a month covers under 60`s for 120k worth of treatment.. I think that over 60`s are not covered for pre existing conditions..
What does the 120k cover? Hospital and doctors only or does that include medicine? No idea.

Any better deals out there?

fred
15th March 2015, 00:55
This is a really useful site Steve.. Lots of cheap deals..Worth considering.

http://www.thewiseliving.com/2014/10/4-best-health-cards-in-philippines-you.html

fred
15th March 2015, 00:58
Phil Health is p300 per month! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

The Mrs was in hospital for 5 days (Private) and the bill was 26K..Philhealth paid 6K of it..
Mind you, that was in a private hospital and a private A/C room.
I think they pay out more in Gov. hospitals. Not sure.

Terpe
15th March 2015, 07:14
We have PhilHealth and a savings account that we add to on regular basis but don't withdraw against.
That's our medical 'insurance'.

It's easy to question whether it's sufficient and how long it will last. I have no idea. We took the decision to relocate here and that's what we did.

We're in a much better position than the vast majority of people here. That all I can say.

stevewool
15th March 2015, 08:40
Thanks Fred, I will look into what you have said here.

Peter, what you have done for yourselves is what i was thinking of doing, having a large sum of just in case, I think is a good way of doing things.

There are people who think I am nuts not having any medical insurance but each to their own, I say. I don't mind paying something for the just in case, but I hate being ripped off for something that maybe you may never use.

Thanks boys for some good advice. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
15th March 2015, 12:20
I think the Phil Health is ok, and worth having. Covers 3 nights in hospital room, some treatments, but meds to pay, plus extra if a private room. As Lolita is a teacher, she is covered. It also covers me as her husband, and her mama and papa, too.

I thought over 60s couldn't get insurance with them, but Lolita's covers me at 61, and her mama 'n' papa are much older.

fred
15th March 2015, 20:03
I thought over 60s couldn't get insurance with them, but Lolita's covers me at 61, and her mama 'n' papa are much older.

Pretty sure Philhealth is now free for over 60`s! (Filipino`s)

stevewool
15th March 2015, 20:31
So after 60, us English folk are at the mercy of our credit card? :Erm:

jake
3rd April 2015, 07:43
We have private health insurance and several pension/life insurance policies that will pay certain benefits if any of us are hospitalized. They don’t cost us 5,000 quid a year, however they won’t cough up millions of pesos that may be needed for a major heart surgery at St Lukes.

The company we use for private health insurance is Caritas Health Shield. It’s not family insurance, so each one of us has to have their own separate policy. We payed around 50,000php each per annum over a 5 year period. The insurance is then valid for a period of 15 years starting from the date of the first payment. Make sense?
Without going through the whole policy Im not really sure exactly how much we could claim at one time, as insurance policies always have lots of small print! The thing I like about it is, even if you have no medical problems that year your are entitled to free outpatient services, annual physical examination and dental care.

Here’s their website http://www.caritashealthshield.com.ph/

Steve, I don’t know what age restrictions, if any they have but I will put you in touch with someone at Caritas when you want to inquire.
As others have said, keep a nice wedge tucked away somewhere just in case :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jake
3rd April 2015, 07:54
Good question.

Graham, I have just read your post about coming to live in the Philippines again :wink:

Even if you and Mercedes are not married, you can still apply for Philheath for yourself. Well worth it in my opinion.

jake
3rd April 2015, 08:15
The Mrs was in hospital for 5 days (Private) and the bill was 26K..Philhealth paid 6K of it..
Mind you, that was in a private hospital and a private A/C room.
I think they pay out more in Gov. hospitals. Not sure.

Like you Fred, i haven't got a clue how they work out the percentage Philhealth will pay. It seems to vary from around 20 to 80% without rhyme or reason.

We used Philhealth recently for a 48k bill and they paid 24k. This was in a private hospital, in private room with air con. Due to certain circumstances we didn't use any of our private insurances.
When I went to pay the bill i was surprised at the amount. In true Filipino style they asked for for the receipt of the payment to Philhealth. Of course stupid me never thought of bringing it :doh Anyway, I paid the 48k and went back the next day and they gave me back 24k in cash!

For 2,400 pesos a year any foreigner living here would be daft not to bother signing up.

stevewool
3rd April 2015, 08:40
All good advice Jake

grahamw48
3rd April 2015, 09:55
Yes, thanks for all that useful info Jake. :xxgrinning--00xx3: