PDA

View Full Version : British food?

Tawi2
20th March 2015, 16:58
I was out for lunch with some guy's earlier who I had arranged to meet in shepherds bush,they are proper cockney chaps :icon_lol: Geezers :icon_lol: So I took them into Cooke's pie-and-mash shop near the market,the food was ok,nowt special,I had pie mash and eel with liquer,the place was filled with a totally white clientel which is unusual for the area which for want of a better word is "Diverse" anyway both the guys thoroughly enjoyed the food which they said was traditional british grub,on the way home I was pondering is that the best we have?I dont go a bundle on pinoy food either but we arent culinary nation as chinese,indian,italian,thai......how many go to a traditional brit restaurant,whats our national dish?(curry?)

fred
20th March 2015, 17:12
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01129/opinion-graphics-2_1129834a.jpg

http://www.foreignstudents.com/sites/default/files/webfm/Roast%20dinner%20comp.jpg
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02302/food_2302444b.jpg
http://www.whenwedine.com/restaurant_images/restaurants/british_food/british_food.jpg

Nothing more to say really!

Tawi2
20th March 2015, 17:14
Is that the best we got fred :icon_lol:

Dedworth
20th March 2015, 17:14
I'll go along with you Fred :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Full English
Haddock & Chips
Roast Beef or Turkey

fred
20th March 2015, 17:16
Sorry..I forgot condiments..
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0n7tl5eOrTdeQDg5ergEYV_739YcX0V_TlNJuWoEq7QtAfk98Kw
https://teaandsympathynewyork.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/colmans.jpg

Slip
20th March 2015, 17:25
Took Harlene for a full English breakfast the other week, lets just say she wasn't impressed :icon_lol:

fred
20th March 2015, 17:26
Is that the best we got fred :icon_lol:

Mum sent me a Christmas pudding which arrived late.. Apparently the one she sent was voted the best in the UK last year.. I made a Christmas roast, some brandy sauce for the pudding and invited my Aussie neighbour...
All we could say was DAMN,THAT WAS GOOD!!!
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/ee-goodhousekeeping/Christmas/Tried_and_Tested/tesco-finest-9-month-matured-cherry-topped-christmas-pudding-with-courvoisier-vs-cognac-product-review-good-housekeeping-01.jpg
Not much room for cold beer but we did manage 4 each.
Thanks Mum!

Dedworth
20th March 2015, 17:26
http://www.baxters.com/resource/store/cache/horseradish_sauce_201_241.png

http://moblog.net/media/p/o/p/poppy_evans/salt-vinegar.JPG

Dedworth
20th March 2015, 17:27
Took Harlene for a full English breakfast the other week, lets just say she wasn't impressed :icon_lol:

Mrs D loves 'em

grahamw48
20th March 2015, 19:44
l read somewhere that all this spicy curry originated due to the need to disguise the taste of the rotten meat that was the norm in the 'olden days'. :smile:

Traditional British grub, nicely cooked...yummy. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
20th March 2015, 20:10
I'll go along with you Fred :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Full English
Haddock & Chips
Roast Beef or Turkey

:hubbahubba: ... me too ...

Sorry..I forgot condiments..
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0n7tl5eOrTdeQDg5ergEYV_739YcX0V_TlNJuWoEq7QtAfk98Kw
https://teaandsympathynewyork.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/colmans.jpg

... along with those flavour enhancers. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
20th March 2015, 20:52
Roast Beef, Yorkshire pudding, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, potatoes, carrots, peas, leek, broccoli and gravy; add a little mustard and horseradish sauce pepper and salt, perfect - and I have it at least twice a week! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
20th March 2015, 20:55
Whats your preference filipino or brit food?Neither nation is renown for their culinary expertise,I choose indian :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
20th March 2015, 21:02
Whats your preference filipino or brit food?Neither nation is renown for their culinary expertise,I choose indian :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Only British food for me! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
20th March 2015, 21:13
- and I have it at least twice a week! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

You are old(er) now Michael ... did the young(er) man speak
Though your hair is not at all white.
And yet you're still getting 'it' :do_it: twice a week :omg:!
D'you think at your age it is right?

Explanatory Footnote: :yeahthat:'s based on a poem penned in 1865 - by the writer, Charles Ludwidge Dodgson, better known as Lewis Carroll, author of 'Alice in Wonderland' - which I've duly adapted to suit the present context.

Here's the original for those interested:-

"You are old Father William, the young man said
And your hair has become very white
And yet, you incessantly stand on your head -
Do you think - at your age - it is right?"

There are, of course, many more verses to the actual poem itself, but it's the first verse which sticks in my mind from my scooldays. Does it strike a chord at all with any of you?

Arthur Little
20th March 2015, 21:16
Only British food for me! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:xxgrinning--00xx3: ... and me!

Dedworth
20th March 2015, 21:48

Brit, then Chinese. Don't like most Pinoy food

jonnijon
20th March 2015, 23:28
I've turned Tagum City upside down looking for Coleman's, can't find any. :NoNo::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

Tawi2
20th March 2015, 23:33
Brit, then Chinese. Don't like most Pinoy food

Pinoy food for me is the worst in SEA and I have been to quite a few countries in the area. It's the reason there are so many Thai resto's yet so few Pinoy ones in England. Everything seems to revolve around dead pig............Mhhhhhhhh Humba :NoNo:

Ako Si Jamie
21st March 2015, 00:28
I've turned Tagum City upside down looking for Coleman's, can't find any. :NoNo::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:Here's some :wink:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmYfc6tmdHh1rJBnQCQMKe4CMqamlKxF84FOOZLQetNROqSrqy
http://www.techkings.org/attachments/latest-news/10715d1387643858t-david-coleman-passes-away-david_coleman.jpg
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/69383000/jpg/_69383571_176613890.jpg

Ako Si Jamie
21st March 2015, 00:33
My favourite meals are a full English, roast beef & Yorkshire pudding and a curry. For afters my favourites are blackberry & apple crumble, trifle and cheesecake :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Arthur Little
21st March 2015, 00:51
Here's some :wink:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmYfc6tmdHh1rJBnQCQMKe4CMqamlKxF84FOOZLQetNROqSrqy
http://www.techkings.org/attachments/latest-news/10715d1387643858t-david-coleman-passes-away-david_coleman.jpg
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/69383000/jpg/_69383571_176613890.jpg

:biggrin: ... Jamie ... you've forgotten to include the most "fanciable" Coleman - Jenna Coleman - Clara Oswald, companion to the current Doctor Who, Peter Capaldi.

Mmm ... :hubbahubba:

:smile: Now I realise I'm a married man ... and the said Jenna is young enough to be my granddaughter ... but I'm not (yet) in my dotage :olddude: and still able to recognise a really good lookin' gal when I see one! :wink:

Ako Si Jamie
21st March 2015, 00:57
:biggrin: ... Jamie ... you've forgotten to include the most "fanciable" Coleman - Jenna Coleman - Clara Oswald, companion to the current Doctor Who, Peter Capaldi.

Mmm ... :hubbahubba:

:smile: Now I realise I'm a married man ... and the said Jenna is young enough to be my granddaughter ... but I'm not (yet) in my dotage :olddude: and still able to recognise a really good lookin' gal when I see one! :wink:

Seems like she's the mustard in your opinion. :biggrin:

Terpe
21st March 2015, 00:57
We're both 'foodies' and my wife is an excellent cook. She ran her own restaurant in Japan.

We've always eaten foods we like in a style of our choosing.
When we lived in UK we'd travel far and wide to get the ingredients we needed to prepare the foods we liked.
Now here in Davao we still travel far and wide to try and get those needed ingredients. I have to say it's not easy.

Neither of us are fond of traditional Pinoy dishes but we do like some.
We still eat what we like whether it's roast beef dinner, a good curry, kinilaw, grilled chicken, pork belly, tempura or stir fries.
I have fish and chips when I fancy with proper malt vinegar too.

I will admit that the Philippines is the only country I've lived in where I have not immersed myself in the foods. In fact I've actively avoided most.

Michael Parnham
21st March 2015, 07:50
:xxgrinning--00xx3: ... and me!

And the other also, Arthur :do_it: more than twice a week! :icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
21st March 2015, 08:04
Mum sent me a Christmas pudding which arrived late.. Apparently the one she sent was voted the best in the UK last year.. I made a Christmas roast, some brandy sauce for the pudding and invited my Aussie neighbour...
All we could say was DAMN,THAT WAS GOOD!!!
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/ee-goodhousekeeping/Christmas/Tried_and_Tested/tesco-finest-9-month-matured-cherry-topped-christmas-pudding-with-courvoisier-vs-cognac-product-review-good-housekeeping-01.jpg
Not much room for cold beer but we did manage 4 each.
Thanks Mum!

Looks delicious Fred:hubbahubba:

Terpe
21st March 2015, 08:33
Just because I can't have it I really want proper English bangers and mash covered with onion gravy and some hot horseradish sauce on the side.

My favourite English roast of leg of lamb with mint sauce and roasted potatoes with mash and brocolli is available here and very very tasty it is too. The lamb's not too expensive, but the shop where I bought my mint sauce has replaced it mint jelly which does 'cut the mustard' with me at all. Besides which, all my Bisto gravy has now gone.

BTW, all 4 jars of my Coleman's English Mustard have also been well and truly emptied

:bigcry:

Michael Parnham
21st March 2015, 08:41
Just because I can't have it I really want proper English bangers and mash covered with onion gravy and some hot horseradish sauce on the side.

My favourite English roast of leg of lamb with mint sauce and roasted potatoes with mash and brocolli is available here and very very tasty it is too. The lamb's not too expensive, but the shop where I bought my mint sauce has replaced it mint jelly which does 'cut the mustard' with me at all. Besides which, all my Bisto gravy has now gone.

BTW, all 4 jars of my Coleman's English Mustard have also been well and truly emptied

:bigcry:

Is the lamb really goat Peter? Because I couldn't tell the difference, it was nice! :Erm:

stevewool
21st March 2015, 10:31
Does toast count?

imagine
21st March 2015, 10:46
There is very little food I like here in Phil.
I miss my English food and Indian curry.

French bread here in Gasano is the closest I've found to match UK bread, other breads I tried are just too sweet with sugar. Whole wheat bread is ok but I prefer white bread.

The closest to brown sauce and salad cream? In fact, the only ones I've found here are from Waitrose in Cagayan.

The brown sauce tastes like HP and the salad cream like Heinz. Maybe it's just the familiar taste - as I haven't had them for a long time now.

imagine
21st March 2015, 10:51
We're both 'foodies' and my wife is an excellent cook. She ran her own restaurant in Japan.

We've always eaten foods we like in a style of our choosing.
When we lived in UK we'd travel far and wide to get the ingredients we needed to prepare the foods we liked.
Now here in Davao we still travel far and wide to try and get those needed ingredients. I have to say it's not easy.

Neither of us are fond of traditional Pinoy dishes but we do like some.
We still eat what we like whether it's roast beef dinner, a good curry, kinilaw, grilled chicken, pork belly, tempura or stir fries.
I have fish and chips when I fancy with proper malt vinegar too.

I will admit that the Philippines is the only country I've lived in where I have not immersed myself in the foods. In fact I've actively avoided most.

I don't suppose you've got the proper malt vinegar here :Erm:

I haven't found it anywhere! :bigcry:

imagine
21st March 2015, 10:53
I miss mixed pickle, pickled silver skin onions, pickled beetroot, ooohhhh the list could go on.

Lyles Golden Syrup, Treacle ... I miss them lots

fred
21st March 2015, 11:08
I miss mixed pickle, pickled silver skin onions, pickled beetroot, ooohhhh the list could go on.

Lyles Golden Syrup, Treacle, I miss them lots

Is there no one in the UK that can pack up a large BB box for you??
I have a year's supply of the stuff you mentioned..

Longweekend
21st March 2015, 11:15
We used to frequent an Indian restaurant in Makati, and very nice it was too....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
21st March 2015, 11:54
Is there no one in the UK that can pack up a large BB box for you??
I have a year's supply of the stuff you mentioned..

Last time I asked my eldest daughter if she could box up the tools and stuff I left in her garage plus add some items for me.

I got, "Ok, I'll ask the hubby." Next day she says he cleared out the garage along with my tools etc, which included all the packing tape etc. She didn't mention about doing a box for me anyway, so i said nothing and spent a few days feeling angry.

My other 2 daughters are also very busy, working having babies, etc, this past year.

Been busy myself with the building and emptying my pockets, but soon I'll get round to asking again. Maybe once the ground floor is rented, for income.

Tawi2
21st March 2015, 11:54
I remember in Hong Kong when Harry Ramsdens opened a fish and chip shop,we used to be in there once a week. Then Brett's Seafood opened a chippy in Wanchai as well, and all of the supermarkets sold food that was British. :icon_lol: I know we are supposed to immerse ourselves in a culture,and that's cool. In Thailand I eat Thai food, in India I ate Indian food, but in Pinas it's a bit difficult :icon_lol:

Ako Si Jamie
21st March 2015, 12:05
Oh Lord, guess what we've forgotten. :doh

http://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/var/plain_site/storage/images/publications/food-beverage-nutrition/foodmanufacture.co.uk/business-news/weetabix-contract-dragged-food-recycler-into-administration/9414242-1-eng-GB/Weetabix-contract-dragged-food-recycler-into-administration_strict_xxl.png :hubbahubba::hubbahubba::hubbahubba:

imagine
21st March 2015, 12:18
Oh Lord, guess what we've forgotten. :doh

http://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/var/plain_site/storage/images/publications/food-beverage-nutrition/foodmanufacture.co.uk/business-news/weetabix-contract-dragged-food-recycler-into-administration/9414242-1-eng-GB/Weetabix-contract-dragged-food-recycler-into-administration_strict_xxl.png :hubbahubba::hubbahubba::hubbahubba:

I got Whiterose version of the same, tastes very much like the real Weetabix.
Mercury gets my Kellogs Cornflakes and Rice Krispies. :hubbahubba::hubbahubba:

But I forgot Branston Pickle and Yorkshire Relish :hubbahubba:

Ako Si Jamie
21st March 2015, 12:22
Does toast count?Have you ever noticed when you return from the Phils how much basic food like toast gets appreciated more?

stevewool
21st March 2015, 12:25
Last time I asked my eldest daughter if she could box up the tools and stuff I left in her garage plus add some items for me.

I got, "Ok, I'll ask the hubby." Next day she says he cleared out the garage along with my tools etc, which included all the packing tape etc. She didn't mention about doing a box for me anyway, so i said nothing and spent a few days feeling angry.

My other 2 daughters are also very busy, working having babies, etc, this past year.

Been busy myself with the building and emptying my pockets, but soon I'll get round to asking again. Maybe once the ground floor is rented, for income.

If you can't get any help, give me a shout and I will sort out your shopping list if you want.

Arthur Little
21st March 2015, 12:26
Have you ever noticed when you return from the Phils how much basic food like toast gets appreciated more?

:xxgrinning--00xx3: ... definitely!

Ako Si Jamie
21st March 2015, 12:35
:xxgrinning--00xx3: ... definitely!I've eaten toast a few times over there usually for breakfast on request but I remember buying some bread and making some toast when we had access to the hotel's cooking facilities in Boracay. It just doesn't taste quite the same though as the 'butter' I've always had tastes like ice-cream.

imagine
21st March 2015, 12:43
If you can't get any help, give me a shout and I will sort out your shopping list if you want.

Thanks Steve, that's a really nice offer, but maybe that's putting you out. Anyway, I will try again with my daughters first; I'm sure I can rustle up some sympathy. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
21st March 2015, 12:44
Do any of you guys actually like Humba?

imagine
21st March 2015, 12:44
I've eaten toast a few times over there usually for breakfast on request but I remember buying some bread and making some toast when we had access to the hotel's cooking facilities in Boracay. It just doesn't taste quite the same though as the 'butter' I've always had tastes like ice-cream.

I manage to get some nice butter here, including, on occasion, Lurpak

Ako Si Jamie
21st March 2015, 12:52
Do any of you guys actually like Humba?I prefer the Thames. :cwm3:

Tawi2
21st March 2015, 12:59
My spelling ain't that bad :icon_lol: Humba as in braised pork belly (fat) in brown sugar :vomit-smiley-011:

Michael Parnham
21st March 2015, 13:08
Stewart, golden syrup and many of the other things you mention you will find in Marks & Spencer. We found loads of things in the Cebu M&S, there must be one in Manila! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
21st March 2015, 13:22
Stewart, golden syrup and many of the other things you mention you will find in Marks & Spencer. We found loads of things in the Cebu M&S, there must be one in Manila! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:smile: Yes, you're correct, Michael ... there IS a Marks & Spencer store in Manila. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
21st March 2015, 13:25
There's Marks and Sparks in Davao, I saw one in Abreeza.

chrisincebu
21st March 2015, 13:42
Apart from a pub, I find it difficult to even find a British Restaurant. We had one briefly in Newcastle's Grey Street years ago but it wasn't there for long.

As for Lechon/Crispy Pata, when I was a kid, roast pork came on Sunday - maybe once a month - and the crackling was something I really really craved for. Then I ended up in Cebu and it seemed to be everywhere! :omg:! Was hard to resist!

That being said, the wife is smitten with British food since we moved back here - especially the Carvery - although we do rustle up some Pinoy treats when we can find the ingredients.

imagine
21st March 2015, 13:47

Yes, I remember seeing one in Manila :icon_lol: when I first arrived, but it's a bit far to go shopping from Malaybalay :bigcry:

imagine
21st March 2015, 14:04
There's Marks and Sparks in Davao, I saw one in Abreeza.

Looks like a trip to Davao on the cards soon! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
21st March 2015, 14:10
Apart from a pub, i find it difficult to even find a British Restaurant. We had one briefly in Grey Street years ago.
What was the name of that one in grey street?

Terpe
21st March 2015, 14:18
Is the lamb really goat Peter? Because I couldn't tell the difference, it was nice! :Erm:

It's genuine imported New Zealand lamb.
We buy it S & R Shopping
Lots of imported stuff if wanted.
I bought my wife a case of Corona beer the other day. It's her favourite.
They had some Carlsberg too, but at the asking price I'm very happy to stick with my San Miguel Pils

Mostly we're buying fresh seafoods and vegetables at the local markets.
Found a lovely bakery just down the road at Toril G-Mall. The French baguettes are just about perfect. Lots of other tasty stuff too.

I have eaten goat though. Very tasty. These days we don't eat much meat, still enjoying the opportunity of such inexpensive but top quality seafoods :Jump:

imagine
21st March 2015, 14:27
Been offered dog a few times, but I declined :yikes:

Terpe
21st March 2015, 14:29

Yes Stewart, malt vinegar is available here just up the road at Swiss Deli :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Most supermarkets around here sell HP brown sauce.
We can also buy the Japanese mayonnaise we like too.

imagine
21st March 2015, 14:46
Yes Stewart, malt vinegar is available here just up the road at Swiss Deli :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Most supermarkets around here sell HP brown sauce.
We can also buy the Japanese mayonnaise we like too.

Thanks Peter. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

For sure I feel a trip out there coming on, the wife will be on holiday soon, so could be a good time to do it.

A couple days' break might be good and tour Davao.

Terpe
21st March 2015, 15:49
I've eaten toast a few times over there usually for breakfast on request but I remember buying some bread and making some toast when we had access to the hotel's cooking facilities in Boracay. It just doesn't taste quite the same though as the 'butter' I've always had tastes like ice-cream.

It's probably difficult when you're on hols but we have a few great French bakery outlets and as for butter, Lurpak is easily available, even the Lurpak spreadable.
Found a number of places for great marmalade too.

Terpe
21st March 2015, 15:54
thanks peter,:xxgrinning--00xx3:

for sure i feel a trip out there comming on, the wife will be on holiday soon could be a good time to do it ,
a couple days break might be good and tour Davou

Give us a shout Stewart, we have plenty of room.
Just wait awhile as we're moving house again in a couple of weeks. Same village though as we really love it here. Plenty of local markets and transportation just minutes away.

imagine
21st March 2015, 16:13
Give us a shout Stewart, we have plenty of room.
Just wait a while as we're moving house again in a couple of weeks. Same village though as we really love it here. Plenty of local markets and transportation just minutes away.

That's great, Lolita is on holiday for 2 months starting in a week's time. So plenty of time. I will certainly give you a shout, for arranging when. Meeting you is something I look forward to. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Good luck with the move

Michael Parnham
21st March 2015, 17:25
Yes, hope the move goes well for you Peter. Had Toad in the Hole for dinner today, delicious! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
21st March 2015, 19:12
We've got beef medallion steaks, chips, tomatoes, mushrooms, peas & onion rings. Wife is night shifting so I've got 4 bottles Spitfire (The Bottle of Britain) to get down my neck :NEW1:

Longweekend
21st March 2015, 19:23
Thai green curry tonight.....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
21st March 2015, 23:35
Been offered dog a few times, but I declined :yikes:I could never eat dog. Ever.

Tawi2
21st March 2015, 23:43
I wouldn't eat dog again. Had it a few times in the past; meat is meat, but since I read that you can contract rabies through eating the flesh of a rabid dog, it's no longer on the menu. :NoNo: Next time someone passes me a well-done mongrel steak or offers me Afghan hound adobo I shall politely decline :cwm25:

Terpe
22nd March 2015, 05:39
Dog meat and all the activities around it is big business in many parts of the Philippines.

There was a TV documentary about it just last week following the discovery that a well known Baguio restaurant had been serving it up in their meat dishes for some years :yikes:

Shocking stories about the kidnapping and totally inhumane treatment of dogs :furious3::censored:

chrisincebu
22nd March 2015, 08:56
What was the name of that one in Grey Street?

For the life of me I can't remember, but it was down at the bottom on the corner under the railway bridge. All the meat was locally sourced too!

Tawi2
22nd March 2015, 09:56
When I first went to Pinas I remember seeing skinned dogs and live shackled dogs in Baguio,thats what it was renown for back then,it didnt really shock me.

imagine
22nd March 2015, 11:56
the dogs i was offered, were taken off the street, and believe me the street dogs here look in a terrible condition, skin desieses ect, no way would that make my mouth water,
also seeing the dog having its fur coat burnt off on the BQ was enough for me

Longweekend
22nd March 2015, 12:14
On the evening before our wedding the wife's brothers and other male members of the family held a celebration BBQ with bottles of gin and the proverbial 'dog on a spit'!, I declined and stuck to San Mig and no food....:cwm25:

imagine
25th March 2015, 14:19
I got Whiterose version of the same, tastes very much like the real Weetabix.
Mercury gets my Kellogs Cornflakes and Rice Krispies. :hubbahubba::hubbahubba:

But I forgot Branston Pickle and Yorkshire Relish :hubbahubba:

OH NO , the whitrose weetabix had a nest of small brown beatles living inside the bix, full packet contaminated, i thought the second sealed pack would be ok so split it open ,, low and behold the rest of the colony was in there,
iv eaten from them twice, first time i saw a beatle on my dish, but i thought its not unusual to be fighting for first place before the ants do ect, so i shifted it off my dish continued to eat, the second time i didnt notice any proberbly cause i used hot milk which would have killed then inside the bix biscuit, only to find on my 3rd attempt that it was a living box of bugs:yikes:

Terpe
25th March 2015, 14:40
I used to laugh at all the stuff my wife would put inside the fridge when we lived in UK
Such a lot of stuff that really didn't need to be in there.
Must be a cultural thing.

Now that I'm living here I fully understand.
Even I'm the one doing it now. Just about anything and everything will find a place in the safety of our fridge.

The ants and other bugs are just waiting in their multi-billion legions to have a crack at getting into your house and seeking out the gourmet delights on offer.

We've had some ant challenges and so far we've got 'em beat. Constant vigilance is the key.

Don't worry too much about them beetles Stewart, they're a source of protein :biggrin:

Terpe
25th March 2015, 14:46
I bought some cheese I recognised today.
Seriously Strong and Seriously Mature.

:hubbahubba:

About the same price as I recall paying in Waitrose.

Packaged in UAE :icon_lol:

imagine
25th March 2015, 14:46
I used to laugh at all the stuff my wife would put inside the fridge when we lived in UK
Such a lot of stuff that really didn't need to be in there.
Must be a cultural thing.

Now that I'm living here I fully understand.
Even I'm the one doing it now. Just about anything and everything will find a place in the safety of our fridge.

The ants and other bugs are just waiting in their multi-billion legions to have a crack at getting into your house and seeking out the gourmet delights on offer.

We've had some ant challenges and so far we've got 'em beat. Constant vigilance is the key.

Don't worry too much about them beetles Stewart, they're a source of protein :biggrin:

the beatles im convinced they came with the package,

anyway yes the wife and the fridge, i often say why you put the sugar in the fridge amongst other things,

the biggest problem i find is when i buy any imported food, when Lita entertains she gives it away , no matter how much i complain,
she just says she likes to share the new tastes with friends :icon_lol:

imagine
25th March 2015, 14:49
I bought some cheese I recognised today.
Seriously Strong and Seriously Mature.

:hubbahubba:

About the same price as I recall paying in Waitrose.

Packaged in UAE :icon_lol:

i bought both irish mature chedder and some cathedral mature chedder, didnt care too much for the irish, but the cathedral , i will be getting more:hubbahubba:

Michael Parnham
25th March 2015, 19:11
i bought both irish mature chedder and some cathedral mature chedder, didnt care too much for the irish, but the cathedral , i will be getting more:hubbahubba:
Cauliflower cheese soon Stewart, yummy!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
25th March 2015, 19:14
Cauliflower cheese soon Stewart, yummy!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Used to get Cauliflower from Hypamart!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
26th March 2015, 02:37

plenty Cauliflower here, now i used to use a cheese powder then add grated cheese,

any suggestions on making the cheese sauce without the powder :biggrin:

Terpe
26th March 2015, 03:38

We like cauliflower. We've found most of the supermarkets sell it together with broccoli and celery. We both like celery but don't often buy it here as it's very small and quite expensive.
The English celery is wonderful and much missed by us.

jonnijon
26th March 2015, 03:57

Lemon vinegar taste like malt :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
26th March 2015, 06:33
plenty Cauliflower here, now i used to use a cheese powder then add grated cheese,

any suggestions on making the cheese sauce without the powder :biggrin:

Never heard of cheese powder Stewart!

imagine
26th March 2015, 08:32
Lemon vinegar taste like malt :xxgrinning--00xx3:

nice tip , i will give it a try :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
26th March 2015, 08:33
Never heard of cheese powder Stewart!

i used to get it in a foil packet cheese sauce mix,

http://www.colmans.co.uk/products/cheese-sauce

Tawi2
26th March 2015, 10:56
I had a beautiful meal yesterday,english food,went to the Alexander Pope in twickenham for lunch,I dont drink but its an absolute cracking pub,faces the river,sat out the front in the restaurant in an old leather chair that fitted like a glove,the fish and chips was cooked to perfection,and the meat board was a wooden platter with glazed honey ham slices crusty rough-cut bread and different home-made chutneys,the coffee wasnt bad either,all in the presentation but the food in there is well reccomended if your ever passing:smile:

Michael Parnham
26th March 2015, 12:41
i used to get it in a foil packet cheese sauce mix,

http://www.colmans.co.uk/products/cheese-sauce

Thanks Stewart, never thought of cheese sauce mix because I've never bought any, even at my age I'm still learning:wink: