PDA

View Full Version : New to site

John slack
21st March 2015, 17:12
Hi my name's John, I'm 22 and living In Derby, I am engaged to my beautiful fiancé Anne, who currently lives in Manila. Would really like help and advice on visas - mainly any savings I need plus money that I/we need to be earning. Also would be great just meeting other Filipino-English couples. Maybe make some friends for when we're finally living together. :)

Thanks

stevewool
21st March 2015, 18:25
WOW, so young! Anyway, welcome to the forum John - a local lad too!! Lots of great advice from many people who are on here.
What visa are you looking for? I hope you have lots of money and/or a very good job too.

grahamw48
21st March 2015, 19:04
Welcome to the forum John. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

For current visa/sponsor requirements I'd recommend doing a search on the forum first. Plenty of informative threads.

Ako Si Jamie
21st March 2015, 23:17
Should have really asked those questions or looked into it more before taking the plunge, John, as the process of bringing a Filipina over can be problematic. Having said that, welcome to the forum. How many times have you been to the Philippines?

marksroomspain
22nd March 2015, 00:12
Hi my name's John, I'm 22 and living In Derby, I am engaged to my beautiful fiancé Anne, who currently lives in Manila. Would really like help and advice on visas - mainly any savings I need plus money that I/we need to be earning. Also would be great just meeting other Filipino-English couples. Maybe make some friends for when we're finally living together. :)

Thanks

Hiya John and welcome to our friendly forum,

If your relying on savings alone then a requirement of £62,500 is needed to sponsor a visa for your loved one thats without any children she may have which would add to that amount.

If your salary is £18,600 or more then you do not have to rely on savings as that amount will suffice for immigration rules.

For example if your income is only £15,000 per annum then there would be a shortfall of £3,600 so under current immigration rules you would have to multiply that by 2.5 (because initial visa is valid for 2 and a half years) then add £16,000 which the government says that is the rate where people are not eligible for benefits so in that case an amount of savings would have to be 2 x £3,600 = £9,000 + £16,000 = £25,000 in savings held for 6 months prior to application.

Sorry if that bamboozles your mind but like what has been said please feel free to view the threads regarding this.

Hope everything works out for you both and don't worry where there's a will there's a way...::xxgrinning--00xx3:

John slack
22nd March 2015, 00:38
Hi everybody. Yeah that's great! I earn over the required limit so that's a relief as £65k would have been a long shot hahaha.

Stevewool, we're planning for the fiancé visa but after reading a few threads might discuss a little further as we had planned a wedding in Phili.

Ako Si Jamie, I've been over three times now in the last year and planning to fly back out there in a few weeks. I love it over there. It can be crazy at times but you can't beat a Red Horse in the sun.

Anyway, cheers for the advice so far guys, looking forward to becoming a part of the community.

Salamat.

Dedworth
22nd March 2015, 01:26
Hi John - good luck with your mission. :xxgrinning--00xx3: As others have said, there's a mine of information and advice on this forum

London_Manila
22nd March 2015, 03:06
To spend all that money getting someone into the UK and all the added hassle of dealing with British Immigration officials in Manila is enough to put me off..........

I can imagine dealing with a homesick Filipina who hates our weather and gets constant demands for money from her relatives back in the Phils could be a touch testing also :Brick:

Terpe
22nd March 2015, 03:26

Thanks

Hello John, welcome aboard Filipino UK :welcomex:

Most of the folks here have followed the same journey that you're facing and have found a wonderful a fulfilling future with their loved one. I'm sure you'll succeed in your quest.

Here's hoping you'll find the time to share you experiences here with us. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
22nd March 2015, 03:31
To spend all that money getting someone into the UK and all the added hassle of dealing with British Immigration officials in Manila is enough to put me off..........

I can imagine dealing with a homesick Filipina who hates our weather and gets constant demands for money from her relatives back in the Phils could be a touch testing also :Brick:

Love and true happiness is priceless. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
The overwhelming majority enjoy a fabulous relationship.

Follow your dreams I say and face all challenges.

John slack
22nd March 2015, 04:03
It's a good job I'm not easily put off then haha. I respect there can be a lot of hassle with the process and some relationships don't work out, but that goes for any relationship whether UK based or long distance.

Anne's family are great - they have never asked me for any money - and have all been so hospitable when I've met them. Admittedly, a few family parties have been overwhelming, but it's nothing a bottle of Emperador hasn't fixed ;) Thanks for such great responses, I feel our goals are a lot more achievable in the short time I've been reading this forum. Speaking to Anne, she's very excited to join the forum now.

Yes, we will keep you posted, and I'm sure there will be plenty more questions coming your way. Thanks again. :) Maraming salamat po.

Michael Parnham
22nd March 2015, 07:21
A very warm welcome to the Forum John, and good luck with your quest. After reading your post, I don't think you'll have too many problems. I just wish I'd been your age when I first discovered Philippines! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
22nd March 2015, 11:43
I can only try to imagine the adventures I'd have had if I'd first visited the Phils at 22. :Rasp:

Marriage probably being the last thing on my mind. :do_it::biggrin:

imagine
22nd March 2015, 12:33
Welcome to the forum John, this is a great place for all the help and information you need.

Good luck on your road to happiness. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Harry T
22nd March 2015, 14:31
Welcome to the forum John, and yeah, I can imagine at your age you have a great time in the Phils. Plus, you also have lots of time on your side. Already you have a few things in your favour for either a fiancee or a spouse visa, in that you have been there 3 times, and you meet the financial aspect, so that's 2 down 999 to go ... :biggrin:

Arthur Little
22nd March 2015, 16:37
John ... welcome to filipino/uk, young man, and all the best with your plans. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Harry T
22nd March 2015, 20:48
John, thanks for the rep, you have come to the right site, everyone on here is very helpful, and welcoming. They will, without a doubt, all be interested to know how things go in the months and years to come. You are a young man and have time on your side which will help you a lot in the years ahead. Just prepare everything by the book, and you shouldn't have too many problems in getting your loved one over here with you.

Here are a few things for your Fiancee to be going on with:

First, SHE will need to register for an account online, with the UKVI. Then you both need a check list and go through the different requirements one step at a time. Then, for the documents, you can either take them out with you, or I recommend sending them out with DHL. Firstly, get your Fiancee booked onto an approved English Language Course. There are details amongst the webpages I have sent below.

Before you start:

You must be outside the UK, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man to apply for your visa.

You need to:

Register for an account
Fill in the application form in English
Pay for the visa fee online (in most cases)
Print out your form
Book and attend an appointment at a Visa Application Centre.

You must:

Have the original and a photocopy of all the supporting documents you need for your visa
Translate any supporting documents and include them with the originals if they aren’t in English
Tuberculosis (TB) test

You may need to get a TB test, depending on where you’re applying from - check if you need a TB test.

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/eligibility

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/knowledge-of-english

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/documents-you-need-to-provide

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/apply

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/extend-your-visa

Again, good luck, stay patient and be meticulous with the Documents that they need. The more proof of Skype, YM and Viber Chats that you have, so much the better. :wink:

grahamw48
22nd March 2015, 22:25
Very helpful Harry.
I tried to give you rep, but need to wait. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Lancashirelad
22nd March 2015, 23:55
Welcome to the forum. My wife came over on a fiancée visa about 4 years' ago and we are blissfully happy! The visa process is a drawn out exercise. You have to make sure you submit all the right documents and evidence, but it's well worth it!

Anyway, good luck and hope it goes smoothly!

Ako Si Jamie
23rd March 2015, 00:25
Ako Si Jamie, I've been over three times now in the last year and planning to fly back out there in a few weeks. I love it over there. It can be crazy at times but you can't beat a Red Horse in the sun.

Prefer San Mig myself but I know what you mean! :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
23rd March 2015, 00:26
I just wish I'd been your age when I first discovered Philippines! :xxgrinning--00xx3:Me too. Actually I wish I was still 22.

Harry T
23rd March 2015, 02:16
Very helpful Harry.
I tried to give you rep, but need to wait. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Graham48 Its a bit like waiting to get a visa :biggrin:

London_Manila
23rd March 2015, 03:15
Love and true happiness is priceless. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
The overwhelming majority enjoy a fabulous relationship.

Follow your dreams I say and face all challenges.

I tried it and it backfired on me big time

I just wish someone could have pointed out to me all the pitfalls and hassle before I went ahead with it

Harry T
23rd March 2015, 10:29
I tried it and it backfired on me big time

I just wish someone could have pointed out to me all the pitfalls and hassle before i went ahead with it

LM, Obviously you have been hurt by what happened to you, do you care to share some of the Pitfalls and Hassle that members may face, obviously John would like to know the downside as well as the Garden of Roses, that doesnt always happen. :smile:

grahamw48
23rd March 2015, 16:28
It is imperative that the initial daydreaming is backed up by visits to the prospective partner's country so that a REAL understanding of their culture and values is acquired.

That would be my best advice to a 'newbie'. :smile:

John slack
23rd March 2015, 21:54
Once again guys thanks for great advice :) Harry t that's great info cheers pal, just to clarify if Were applying for the spouse visa we both have to be outside of the uk at the time we submit the application? And graham yeah that's the only thing we haven't managed yet is having Anne over to England, unfortunate mate slightly selfishly on my part it's more expensive to Holliday here and the weather isn't as good haha :biggrin: the wedding is planned for the April 2016 (only loose dates as we haven't booked any where just yet ) hopefully she will be able to come an spend Christmas this year, chuck her In at the deep end weather wise haha

raynaputi
23rd March 2015, 22:13
Your don't have to be in the Philippines when your gf submits the application for the visa. Although some of the folks here went to the Philippines and accompanied their better halves just to give them support (I mean moral and emotional support). The decision will solely based on all the documents you both will submit, so you need to make sure you comply with the requirements.

Harry T
23rd March 2015, 22:34
John, No, it's Anne your Wife to be - who will be your Spouse by then - that will apply. You can be wherever you want to be, either here in the UK or in the Philippines, you just have to help supply Anne with all the Documentation that's needed.

Just a word of advice when you get married in Phils: Allow yourself a minimum of 3 weeks for the wedding to take place. You can't just arrive in Phils and get married in a few days, there are certain procedures that you have to go through first. One of them, I know for a fact, takes 10 days. If you look under the section 'Courting, Relationships and Weddings' there is a Topic (CENOMAR, CNI and Marriage in the Philippines) this covers everything you need to know.

Michael Parnham
24th March 2015, 07:43
John, No, its Anne your Wife-to-be - who will be your Spouse by then - that will apply. You can be wherever you want to be, either here in the UK or in the Philippines, you just have to help supply Anne with all the Documentation that's needed.

Just a word of advice: When you get married in Phils, allow yourself a minimum of 3 weeks for the wedding to take place. You can't just arrive in Phils and get married in a few days. There are certain procedures that you have to go through first. One of them, I know for a fact, takes 10 days. If you look under the section 'Courting, Relationships and Weddings', there is a Topic (CENOMAR, CNI and Marriage in the Philippines) this covers everything you need to know.

Paul, I must commend you on all the helpful information that you have passed on to John. Excellent work. I've tried to send you a rep but have to wait at the moment! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
25th March 2015, 04:06
Paul, I must commend you on all the helpful information that you have passed on to John. Excellent work. I've tried to send you a rep but have to wait at the moment! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Paul? :Erm: ... I thought the bloke you've responded to was called
Harry!

:icon_sorry:, Michael ... I don't mean to nitpick ... just curious. :wink:

Michael Parnham
25th March 2015, 07:51
Harry!

I checked his profile Arthur! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

rhosalie
25th March 2015, 08:30
Hi John, welcome to the forum :Hellooo::Hellooo:

My husband is from Derby as well, I agree on you it takes a lot of effort when your loved one is living on the other side of the world, And there are also some other people adds up on this hurdle. People who at first judge the relationship. BUT when you finally end up together, you'll just say that everything is worth it and you can already give your middle finger to them.:cwm23::Erm::xxgrinning--00xx3:

We are only waiting for the marriage certificate and we are good to go to lodged our Spouse Visa Application hopefully next week. We had an intimate civil ceremony 6th of February of this year so that we can already start with the paper works for the spouse visa, Hubby and his whole family will be arriving again on the 3rd week of April for the Blessing (garden wedding). And we're crossing our fingers that the visa result will be release on time before hubby goes back to UK again.

Just go back here from time to time and for sure you will learn a lot in regards of your endeavor. That's what we did when we apply for the tourist visa last year. A lot of bloke here will surely give a big help.

Harry T
25th March 2015, 11:56
Harry!

For everyones info :biggrin: its actually first name Paul, middle name Harry, but in so far as Im known on here, either will do. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
27th March 2015, 23:15
LM, Obviously you have been hurt by what happened to you, do you care to share some of the Pitfalls and Hassle that members may face, obviously John would like to know the downside as well as the Garden of Roses, that doesnt always happen. :smile:Yup. It would be interesting to hear LM's story.

Rosie1958
27th March 2015, 23:46
Welcome to the Forum John! I hope that you participate in some of the forum conversations as it's always great to have new members around :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Also fab to see a newbie displaying a profile pic as it's an indication that they plan to stick around, well done! :biggrin:

Arthur Little
28th March 2015, 00:41
For everyones info :biggrin: it's actually first name Paul, middle name Harry, but in so far as I'm known on here, either will do. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ah ... Paul Harry ... :68711_thanx:

Ako Si Jamie
29th March 2015, 20:26
It is imperative that the initial daydreaming is backed up by visits to the prospective partner's country so that a REAL understanding of their culture and values is acquired.

That would be my best advice to a 'newbie'. :smile:Yep. And acting like a kiddie in a sweet shop isn't advisable either.

Ako Si Jamie
29th March 2015, 22:08
I think the best advice I can give to a 'Newbie' is to treat this process like a business deal, initially. It does sound crass I know but ultimately the person you're meeting is a total stranger who you can only trust over a significant period of time. Getting too emotionally involved early on can be a recipe for disaster if she's the wrong type because she will use that vulnerability to her advantage. I do think men who have experience of scheming women have a distinct advantage than those who haven't because they can work them out quicker, so long as they have their head screwed on.

At the end of the day don't make yourself an easy target by sending money, showering her with gifts ,and getting emotionally involved too early like I said previously. Be cool, calm and collected. Don't buy her. Don't come across as too eager or desperate. Don't be afraid to say no to her. Get her respect. Don't put outer beauty before inner qualities. A real woman will love you for who you are, not what's in your wallet.

The bottom line is she has to earn that right for you to put a ring on her finger and that takes time but then again Rome wasn't built in a day. Ultimately, rushing this process and becoming blasé in what could be one of the most important decision's of one's life is a bit like flipping a coin. Heads you win, tails you lose.

London_Manila
30th March 2015, 02:18
I think the best advice I can give to a 'Newbie' is to treat this process like a business deal, initially. It does sound crass I know but ultimately the person you're meeting is a total stranger who you can only trust over a significant period of time. Getting too emotionally involved early on can be a recipe for disaster if she's the wrong type because she will use that vulnerability to her advantage. I do think men who have experience of scheming women have a distinct advantage than those who haven't because they can work them out quicker, so long as they have their head screwed on.

At the end of the day don't make yourself an easy target by sending money, showering her with gifts ,and getting emotionally involved too early like I said previously. Be cool, calm and collected. Don't buy her. Don't come across as too eager or desperate. Don't be afraid to say no to her. Get her respect. Don't put outer beauty before inner qualities. A real woman will love you for who you are, not what's in your wallet.

The bottom line is she has to earn that right for you to put a ring on her finger and that takes time but then again Rome wasn't built in a day. Ultimately, rushing this process and becoming blasé in what could be one of the most important decision's of one's life is a bit like flipping a coin. Heads you win, tails you lose.

Great advice but as you know already some guys lose the plot big time when they fall in love and take their eye off how much money they are parting with

London_Manila
30th March 2015, 02:31
Yup. It would be interesting to hear LM's story.

Went to Thailand when I was 16 married a Thai women at age 20 she came to the UK and at the age of 30 we got divorced. I never supported her family in Thailand and the divorce cost me nothing apart from the legal fees. I feel I got away lightly........ :wink:

Immigration in Bangkok were a nightmare to deal with so many visits and interviews
We were married in April but they would not grant a settlement visa until October
At that time being only 20 it cost me a fortune
Thai's are nice people but very different to people in the western world