PDA

View Full Version : Hmm ... Who WILL Be Affected By Benefits' Changes

Arthur Little
8th July 2015, 22:39
Well ... :anerikke: ... it had to happen - and come it has!

So, who WILL be affected by these changes?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33429390 - :ReadIt: for more information.

Michael Parnham
8th July 2015, 22:57
Universal benefits and tax credits what are they? Don't think I will be affected apart from the £30 reduction to the state pension with Serps!:Erm:

Arthur Little
8th July 2015, 23:14
Universal benefits and tax credits what are they? :Erm:

:icon_sorry: ... can't *answer that, Michael :nono-1-1: ... I'm only the messenger.

Besides, I cannot recollect there being such things as :icon_rolleyes: 'Universal' Credit (whatever it is) or Tax Credits (as such) back in our working days. :NoNo:

Having posted the link, though, :cwm24: - I hope somebody on here *can!

georose
8th July 2015, 23:53
Well to be honest, it's good!!! We are not affected at all. We work hard for our money, it's not just handed to us. So I agree, as some people are just taking the piss by claiming everything. lol...

Dedworth
9th July 2015, 01:08
Well to be honest, it's good!!! We are not affected at all. We work hard for our money, it's not just handed to us. So I agree, as some people are just taking the piss by claiming everything. lol...

The shysters are long overdue for a sorting out :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Harry T
9th July 2015, 08:01
The shysters are long overdue for a sorting out :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes, but NOT only the shysters Deds, for to long now people have been working for £6-00+ per hour on minimum wage, and having there income topped up by Tax Credits, this encouraged many Employers to regard the minimum wage to be the actual rate for the job, which in turn meant Tax payers in effect subsidised these low paid jobs, whilst the bosses made fortunes, now these companies will have to pay a decent wage, which in turn will mean Tax Credits will be greatly reduced. I applaud the Government for this stance.
However what i disagree with, is the limit on Housing Benefit, in so far as it only limits the amount people are allowed to have towards their rent, again a sensible move, however it needed to be tied in with a National Rental scheme whereby Landlords have a maximum applied which they can charge Housing Benefit Claimants for 1,2,3 Bedroom properties, this in my opinion would have averted unscrupulous Landlords overcharging for Rents, and also done something similar for Estate Agents charging exhorbitant Registration,Deposits, Search Fees etc etc.
I can see where Osborne is coming from, people need to work, indeed have to work; there still remains the question of getting the (Shysters) CAN work, WONT work people back in the mainstream of employment, Job Seekers Allowance is what it is for those people seeking work, if they refuse work there allowance should NOT only be cut (sanctioned) at present, but this should be tied in with doing Community work (20 hours per week) which should enable them to get used to getting out of bed early and off there Backsides to do something useful.
I was dissapointed not to see Pensions mentioned here, as i was under the impression the Government was due to announce this year a flat rate (NOT Means Tested Pension) Pension of around £150 for everyone, but nothing was announced.

All in all not a bad Budget, heading in the right direction, and thats from a none Tory UK citizen. :smile:

stevewool
9th July 2015, 08:17
I think the average worker which i class myself as is happy with what is happening for now, but i would hate to be on a low wage, but its down to each of us to live the life we want on the income we want, and if you want more, find a different job or even get two.

Trefor
9th July 2015, 08:32
I think the main 'losers' are small businesses. Hopefully they can cover these higher wages.

grahamw48
9th July 2015, 08:55
The housing market and in particular the private rented sector has got totally out of hand. In fact we now have a society full of people and their clever advisers geared up to milking as much money as possible from the less well off, including the youngsters we have reared, and (ultimately) the government. Many of these people are not even British citizens.
There has always been greed, but when it is on a national scale and has become a tax-deductible way of life, something is seriously wrong . :NoNo:

I agree that the various 'top-up benefits' have had an undesirable effect on the labour market, and have become an unnecessary burden (30 billion a year ? !) on the taxpayer.

I am particularly happy to see that the irresponsible and the feckless will no longer be rewarded to the same extent, for breeding.

les_taxi
9th July 2015, 11:01
The housing market and in particular the private rented sector has got totally out of hand. In fact we now have a society full of people and their clever advisers geared up to milking as much money as possible from the less well off, including the youngsters we have reared, and (ultimately) the government. Many of these people are not even British citizens.
There has always been greed, but when it is on a national scale and has become a tax-deductible way of life, something is seriously wrong . :NoNo:

I agree that the various 'top-up benefits' have had an undesirable effect on the labour market, and have become an unnecessary burden (30 billion a year ? !) on the taxpayer.

I am particularly happy to see that the irresponsible and the feckless will no longer be rewarded to the same extent, for breeding.

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
9th July 2015, 12:04
Will £9 per hour be a living wage in 2020? I doubt it when you take into consideration the rises that will happen in the cost of living.

Dedworth
9th July 2015, 18:57
Yes, but NOT only the shysters Deds, for to long now people have been working for £6-00+ per hour on minimum wage, and having there income topped up by Tax Credits, this encouraged many Employers to regard the minimum wage to be the actual rate for the job, which in turn meant Tax payers in effect subsidised these low paid jobs, whilst the bosses made fortunes, now these companies will have to pay a decent wage, which in turn will mean Tax Credits will be greatly reduced. I applaud the Government for this stance.
However what i disagree with, is the limit on Housing Benefit, in so far as it only limits the amount people are allowed to have towards their rent, again a sensible move, however it needed to be tied in with a National Rental scheme whereby Landlords have a maximum applied which they can charge Housing Benefit Claimants for 1,2,3 Bedroom properties, this in my opinion would have averted unscrupulous Landlords overcharging for Rents, and also done something similar for Estate Agents charging exhorbitant Registration,Deposits, Search Fees etc etc.
I can see where Osborne is coming from, people need to work, indeed have to work; there still remains the question of getting the (Shysters) CAN work, WONT work people back in the mainstream of employment, Job Seekers Allowance is what it is for those people seeking work, if they refuse work there allowance should NOT only be cut (sanctioned) at present, but this should be tied in with doing Community work (20 hours per week) which should enable them to get used to getting out of bed early and off there Backsides to do something useful.
I was dissapointed not to see Pensions mentioned here, as i was under the impression the Government was due to announce this year a flat rate (NOT Means Tested Pension) Pension of around £150 for everyone, but nothing was announced.

All in all not a bad Budget, heading in the right direction, and thats from a none Tory UK citizen. :smile:

There's a bloke who lives in social housing not too far from us - I've posted about him before. Has not worked for at least 15 years has about 6 kids, him and his ugly wife are split between two houses. Everything is paid for by the state but he has enough left to go betting and smoking, walks around and is lean and fit. He is typical of the shysters getting away with it, they should be all subjected to intensive and exhaustive interviews and investigations followed by all payments being stopped.

Ako Si Jamie
9th July 2015, 19:11
Will £9 per hour be a living wage in 2020? I doubt it when you take into consideration the rises that will happen in the cost of living.When the minimum wage came into force in 1999, the adult rate was £3.60. Five years later in 2004 it had increased to £4.85. Another five years on in 2009 it stood at £5.80. Not sure what the exact figure is today but I would hazard a guess at about £6.50 to £6.70 meaning that every five years it roughly increases by a measly £1.

But whether £9 p/h will become the minimum living wage in 2020 is anybody's guess.

les_taxi
9th July 2015, 20:00
Will £9 per hour be a living wage in 2020? I doubt it when you take into consideration the rises that will happen in the cost of living.

You would have applauded it if Labour had come up with that one Andy :biggrin:

Dedworth
9th July 2015, 21:12
You would have applauded it if Labour had come up with that one Andy:biggrin:

Wind was taken out of their's & Andy's sails. Missing man Joe must be seething :laugher:

Dedworth
9th July 2015, 21:15
I've not had a chance to read too much about it. I hope the "hated" bedroom tax remains. I did hear that there's going to be a Bob Crow tax on high earners paying cheap rent on social housing thus keeping the properties from those who need them :laugher:

SimonH
10th July 2015, 09:29

Didn't Labour declare it would be £8 per hour by 2020 :Erm:

grahamw48
10th July 2015, 10:07
A lot of things have gone DOWN in price or stood still during the last few years...especially my pay. :cwm3: