PDA

View Full Version : London's MAIN Transport Hub Grinds To A Halt!

Arthur Little
9th July 2015, 13:44
:omg: ... looks like :censored: chaos - as more than 20,000 'Tube' operators strike over pay and night shifts by taking part in the LARGEST known walkout to hit the Capital for thirteen years - according to the latest updates on this link from The Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2015/jul/09/tube-strike-london-underground-live-updates

les_taxi
9th July 2015, 14:59
Good old unions!

Michael Parnham
9th July 2015, 16:07
Oh dear! :Erm:

Arthur Little
9th July 2015, 22:26
Hmm :icon_rolleyes: ... guess our Marco's bound to have his "hands full" with all that business! :doh

bigmarco
9th July 2015, 23:32
Hmm :icon_rolleyes: ... guess our Marco's bound to have his "hands full" with all that business! :doh

Yes Picket line duty from 4am in the morning Arthur. Us greedy tube drivers who've been offered £2k for night tube with no indication of how many extra weekends we'll have to work.
I've got a lovely young wife and I'm quite happy to hand my £2k back to Boris if he can promise me I wont have to work any more weekends than I already do. I roughly get about 40% of weekends off over the course of the year at the moment so I already do my fare share in accordance with existing agreements.
I have no issues with money that has been offered but wish the new management team would see sense and talk rosters.

fred
9th July 2015, 23:43
What a nightmare for commuters just trying to go to work to pay a mortgage. :NoNo:

Arthur Little
10th July 2015, 00:07
Yes Picket line duty from 4am in the morning Arthur. Us greedy tube drivers who've been offered £2k for night tube with no indication of how many extra weekends we'll have to work.
I've got a lovely young wife and I'm quite happy to hand my £2k back to Boris if he can promise me I wont have to work any more weekends than I already do. I roughly get about 40% of weekends off over the course of the year at the moment so I already do my fare share in accordance with existing agreements.
I have no issues with money that has been offered but wish the new management team would see sense and talk rosters.

Thank you for your update, Marco ... and all the more so in the circumstances. I, personally, have every sympathy with your cause.

Possibly you may already have read Jamie's thread on Barmy Boris's naively idiotic - and totally inappropriate - remarks about the ISIS flag affair :mad: ... when it seems to me he ought to be concentrating on getting his "house in order" by negotiating with Management Teams to ensure fairer working conditions for those responsible for the smooth running of the Capital's 'Essential Services' - like yourself.

Hopefully, :pray: common sense WILL prevail at the end of the day. Good Luck, mate! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

London_Manila
10th July 2015, 02:32
Nice to see that at least in London we have workers who are prepared to go on strike to save their working conditions and will not be bullied by the management

Why should any workers have to roll over and just accept what the management decides to throw at them

The idiots posting comments on the Daily Mail's website all presumed it was just about money :doh

bigmarco
11th July 2015, 10:03
Nice to see that at least in London we have workers who are prepared to go on strike to save their working conditions and will not be bullied by the management

Why should any workers have to roll over and just accept what the management decides to throw at them

The idiots posting comments on the Daily Mail's website all presumed it was just about money :doh

Quite true LM
In all honesty I tend to ignore public opinion when it comes to work because when you're on the inside looking out you can see they way the media manipulate the story to paint the workers in a bad light.
10,000 odd people were out on strike Drivers, Station Staff, Controllers, Power supply staff and many more and yet the media focuses on the just over 1000 drivers who've been offered an extra £2k to change their terms and conditions. What about the rest who've been slung £500 and face horrendous rosters.
Up until Monday the offer on the table after 5 months of negotiations was 0.75% pay rise this year 1% next year £500 one of bonus for bringing in night tube and an extra £250 one off payment for drivers. At mid day 2 days before strike management arrived at ACAS with an offer of 2% pay rise this year 1% for 2016 and 2017 £500 one off bonus for night tube plus an extra £2k for drivers affected by night tube which is about 1200 drivers out of approx 3500 to 4000. They said we had until 18:30 that day to accept or the offer would be withdrawn. I have this in writing from management. They were not prepared to discuss rostering or impact on weekend working. Hence the strike went ahead as clearly 4 unions would not be able to discuss the offer with members in approx 5 hours.
3 months ago I had a discussion with one of Managements negotiating team and he said to me " I don't know what your moaning about Mark your getting £500 for doing nothing as we're getting part time drivers to cover night tube." You cant train new divers in 2 months and there are no part time drivers currently in training on my line.
Night tube start date was announced by Boris on the day he started closing ticket offices because he wanted to deflect from the story on that day. It's widely recognised by staff and management that there was never going to be enough time to implement it properly. If you speak to management off the record, to a man they are saying we haven't had enough time but sadly nobody had the guts to say it to a Mayor on a Mission. It's Boris's legacy to London so he doesn't want it to fail.
They're back at acas next week so hopefully they can start talking about rosters and work/life balance instead of throwing more money around.