PDA

View Full Version : Dozens Feared Dead In Chinese Port City Devastation

Arthur Little
14th August 2015, 11:18
Reports are coming in of at least 50 fatalities and hundreds more severely injured in the blasts that rocked the Chinese port city of Tianjin ... approximately 70 miles from Beijing.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/13/china-explosions-dozens-feared-dead-blasts-port-tianjin

Update: 04.27 (GMT)

:bigcry: ... TRAGIC!

Terpe
14th August 2015, 11:40
Yes Arthur, tragic.

I really feel for the people Tianjin especially as I lived there for long periods between 1993 and 1994
I had a nice traditional style place right in riverstide community with quite a few expats.
Within walking distance we had a couple of very old temples. Very enjoyable part of my life with very clear memories.

I can imagine that maybe many of those areas would be impacted in some way or another.
Very sad to dwell on that.
I couldn't recognise any of that new development shown on the news. Not surprising really since I haven't been there since. That's a scary 20 years ago

Hope there'll be no problems with some of the dangerous chemicals stored in the port area.

Arthur Little
14th August 2015, 11:52
Yes Arthur, tragic.

I really feel for the people Tianjin especially as I lived there for long periods between 1993 and 1994
I had a nice traditional style place right in riverstide community with quite a few expats.
Within walking distance we had a couple of very old temples. Very enjoyable part of my life with very clear memories.

I can imagine that maybe many of those areas would be impacted in some way or another.
Very sad to dwell on that.
I couldn't recognise any of that new development shown on the news. Not surprising really since I haven't been there since. That's a scary 20 years ago

Hope there'll be no problems with some of the dangerous chemicals stored in the port area.

Poignant memories for you then, Peter ... and :iagree:, the dangerous chemicals seem to be the MAIN source of concern right now.

Terpe
14th August 2015, 11:57
Poignant memories for you then, Peter ...

Yes indeed. Best time I ever had in China thanks to all the lovely people and the beautifil city centre.

....the dangerous chemicals seem to be the MAIN source of concern right now.

It seems the authorities are moving the residents further and further outwards as the air-testing progresses. Doesn't seem good.

Michael Parnham
14th August 2015, 14:05
Sad story, just proves how important proper health and safety requirements need to be put into place!

Terpe
15th August 2015, 01:29
Sad story, just proves how important proper health and safety requirements need to be put into place!

That doesn't get a priority when politics and profit are involved.

I wonder how many 1000's of stored imported, unsold foreign cars were destroyed ? Well they're no longer costly inventory.
Conspiracy story