PDA

View Full Version : English tests for foreign spouses

andypaul
5th December 2007, 20:53
Its been proposed in the new annoucments made today by jacqui smith.

Info a bit sparse and just at proposal level at the moment but lets face it will win votes in the wider comunity and they can charge for it.
It will more than likely happen in the next few years.

ginapeterb
5th December 2007, 21:25
funny Andy I saw this on the t.v. tonight, I was about to make a post, you beat me too it, thank goodness none of us has to go through this crap, I remember when we went for ILR Rob and Elsa just beat having to do the LIFE IN UK TEST, lucky Rob, ducked and dived out of that one.

It seems in the future, more and more hoops and hurdles will have to be overcome for non EU citizens to come to UK.

andypaul
5th December 2007, 21:46
I read it on yahoo just then. Was surprised no one had picked up on it.

The press assoc article i saw.

Mntioned they don't know if it will be oral or written how in depth they know that certain communities where english is not a widspread language will not be happy and think the level will be very very basic to apease them

So it will be very basic of no use to anyone just a hindrance,a well thought of english test would be best for spouses so they can show they will be ok in the UK and can communicate with the wider community for their own good (if the spouse suffered domestic abuse it would be far easier to get help if they speak a decent level of english)

joebloggs
5th December 2007, 22:10
yes i've posted about this b4 and another rumor was raising the age for a
spouse visa to 21.

andypaul
5th December 2007, 22:18
yes i've posted about this b4 and another rumor was raising the age for a
spouse visa to 21.

You did indeed Sir i remeber and the age limit. Still have my doubts but now they have hinted it will be a basic test most likely multiple choice (easy to mark and take) so they can maximise profits.

I tend to agree with the 21 or over my wife was only 21 and 11 months or so when she came over. I know when i was 21 or younger moving half way round the world would have freaked me just a little at 18 well i don't think so.

When i said picked up on it, i meant today i have had one of those days where you leave the house rush around and suddenly its late at night and your getting ready to kip soon.

joebloggs
5th December 2007, 22:32
i've not heard anything about it for months, but looks to me its just a backdoor way of controlling non europeans from getting in the uk.

but i agree with it, a libyan i work with, is getting married at the end of the month, its kinda arranged, they have meet (in fact his future wife, is his bothers wife sister- is that a co sister??? or sister in law sister ??? :Help1:) ,i mention to him that these might be brought in and he panicked, as she doesn't speak a word of english and was under 21...

but it would be good to try and stop forced teenage marriages

andypaul
5th December 2007, 23:30
i've not heard anything about it for months, but looks to me its just a backdoor way of controlling non europeans from getting in the uk.

but i agree with it, a libyan i work with, is getting married at the end of the month, its kinda arranged, they have meet (in fact his future wife, is his bothers wife sister- is that a co sister??? or sister in law sister ??? :Help1:) ,i mention to him that these might be brought in and he panicked, as she doesn't speak a word of english and was under 21...

but it would be good to try and stop forced teenage marriages

With out knowing your work colleuage or his age i have to admit im pleased he is panicing To invite a person to a country where they don't speak, understand, read or write the official lanuage of the nation (even if most phills spoken english is a bit rusty most can read and write very well as we know well) and under 21 is very tough on the indivual.
She would be confined to a small circle of family and friends and not know unless people choose to inform her, of her rights in this country.

KeithD
6th December 2007, 09:55
:yikes: Living in Wales, will I have to take it? I'm a scouser.....I'll fail :bigcry:

IanB
6th December 2007, 19:50
With out knowing your work colleuage or his age i have to admit im pleased he is panicing To invite a person to a country where they don't speak, understand, read or write the official lanuage of the nation (even if most phills spoken english is a bit rusty most can read and write very well as we know well) and under 21 is very tough on the indivual.
She would be confined to a small circle of family and friends and not know unless people choose to inform her, of her rights in this country.

Unless of course you are a Brit living abroad - in which case 99% never bother to learn the local language!

Ian

andypaul
6th December 2007, 19:53
Unless of course you are a Brit living abroad - in which case 99% never bother to learn the local language!

Ian

is it 99 percent?

I thought if you shouted loudly and slowly in english every person in the world understood.

nparvus1202
7th December 2007, 09:15
Money money money..... The government always knows how to make more of them, in disguise of law. Bravo!!

aromulus
7th December 2007, 15:51
is it 99 percent?

I thought if you shouted loudly and slowly in english every person in the world understood.

They are foreigners.....

Not deaf...........:NoNo:

andypaul
7th December 2007, 18:55
They are foreigners.....

Not deaf...........:NoNo:

I thought that why as a welsh italian you wrote in bold for us dodgy cock a knees so we could understand ;)

When i watch telly all the brits on the costa del sol seem to get their pint of beer, plate of chips and a copy of the sun if they shout loudly:D

empott
22nd January 2008, 03:48
Just wondering, is this the equivalent of IELTS?

joebloggs
22nd January 2008, 14:15
Just wondering, is this the equivalent of IELTS?

who knows, i don't think they've said anything about it yet.. but for hsmp you need ielts with average of 6, or your degree had to be teached in english..

my wife has to take the test again, as her old one is about to expire.. :cwm24: and she needs a average of at least 7 :doh

andypaul
22nd January 2008, 20:55
I doubt they would have it to ielts standard to simple and efficent for the british goverment. They will develpop there own test which costs a fortune and half as good.