PDA

View Full Version : Manila Traffic...The irony of it!

raynaputi
12th September 2015, 17:03
Hahahahaha... :icon_lol:

The Guy in Charge of Managing Manila’s Traffic Missed a Live TV Interview Because He Was Stuck in Traffic

Read more: http://time.com/4030835/manila-philippines-mmda-francis-tolentino-karen-davila-traffic-jam/ (http://time.com/4030835/manila-philippines-mmda-francis-tolentino-karen-davila-traffic-jam/)

and here: http://motioncars.inquirer.net/39761/mmda-chief-tolentino-gets-stuck-in-traffic-misses-tv-appearance (http://motioncars.inquirer.net/39761/mmda-chief-tolentino-gets-stuck-in-traffic-misses-tv-appearance)

stevewool
12th September 2015, 21:35
It is bad , but you just have to plan your times and just hope for the best when over there

London_Manila
13th September 2015, 01:24
They are bringing in a truck ban during the peak hours soon
I think buses and coaches seem to be the main problem
When i don't have to visit Makati i like to fly into to Clark and avoid it all :smile:

grahamw48
13th September 2015, 04:35
If they used revenues for improving the mass transit (rail) system instead of sticking it in their own pockets, they might not miss interviews. :smile:

KeithD
13th September 2015, 08:50
They should test what they now do in Shanghai, ban 1/2 the cars each day based on registration. Traffic is much better in Shanghai now, smog levels have dropped considerably, and it encourages sharing and public transport usage.

stevewool
13th September 2015, 08:57
Dont they do that already in places, i am sure Steve R can comment on that

fred
13th September 2015, 09:11
They should test what they now do in Shanghai, ban 1/2 the cars each day based on registration. Traffic is much better in Shanghai now, smog levels have dropped considerably, and it encourages sharing and public transport usage.

They have been doing that for a good few years now..

The following table shows which plate number endings are barred from traveling in Metro Manila:

Day of Week
Plates Ending in

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Vehicular_Volume_Reduction_Program

KeithD
13th September 2015, 09:16
They have been doing that for a good few years now..

I know they do that, I had to avoid the rules last time I drove in Manila. I am talking about 1/2 the cars, just two lots a day is not working. 1-5 Mon & Wed, 6-0 Tues & Thurs, and a free for all on Friday to remind people why the rules are in place.

Iani
13th September 2015, 09:30
I don't really "get" the traffic in Manila. It seems to me no worse than any other large city (for roads), but I can think of few places worse for gridlock.

KeithD
13th September 2015, 09:35
I don't really "get" the traffic in Manila. It seems to me no worse than any other large city (for roads), but I can think of few places worse for gridlock.

You haven't sat on EDSA by MOA for an hour to move a mile, which is the norm during the day. :cwm24: It makes London and LA look quiet!

stevewool
13th September 2015, 12:11
You haven't sat on EDSA by MOA for an hour to move a mile, which is the norm during the day. :cwm24: It makes London and LA look quiet!

Make sure you empty your bladder before you get into any car for any trip no matter how short

bigmarco
13th September 2015, 13:13
Manila needs a major investment in LRT and MRT to improve and extend what is already a pretty good system and then force the cars off the road.

raynaputi
13th September 2015, 13:33
Manila needs a major investment in LRT and MRT to improve and extend what is already a pretty good system and then force the cars off the road.

One UP professor is suggesting to have a railway system (go to the link) and I think it will work. The problem? I don't think our corrupt politicians would be agreeing to it. :NoNo:

http://www.wheninmanila.com/look-will-this-railway-network-connecting-mega-manila-solve-our-traffic-problems/

bigmarco
13th September 2015, 14:07
Yes it looks good on paper but as you say it needs politicians with the will to implement it. Meantime you cannot expect people to leave their vehicles at home if you cannot provide an alternative.

Terpe
13th September 2015, 14:20
Chaotic conditions, chaotic driving and chaotic behaviour doesn't help IMO

Long time since I was in Manila but family members say it's gotten very much worse than ever.

Iani
13th September 2015, 17:15

Oh, that was me not being clear. What I meant was - the infrastructure and roads, junctions etc, even the population. That doesn't seem any worse than any large city, so why the gridlock - that's the bit I don't understand, just why it is so bad.

raynaputi
13th September 2015, 18:01
Oh, that was me not being clear. What I meant was - the infrastructure and roads, junctions etc, even the population. That doesn't seem any worse than any large city, so why the gridlock - that's the bit I don't understand, just why it is so bad.

Undisciplined drivers (drivers who have total disregard of traffic lights, etc.), drivers who just learned how to drive through family or friends (no driving test like the one here in UK in the Philippines, just a test drive in an LTO compound I think), drivers who don't know the traffic rules, road signs, etc., add to that the fact that there are traffic enforcers who also cause the traffic most of the time (along with bribery incidents). I told Keith that if there's a traffic enforcer in the middle of the road, traffic is worse. :icon_lol:

fred
14th September 2015, 00:55
just a test drive in an LTO compound I think), drivers who don't know the traffic rules

Never heard of that.. Pay for a student licence and off you go I think!

Hopefully in the next few years,LRT will go through Imus to Dasma..That way they can remove many many more cars from that congested route.

This FB page always seems to give good updates on the LRT extension plans and progress.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

https://www.facebook.com/SanaHanggangCaviteNaAngLrtmrt

jake
14th September 2015, 12:04
Never heard of that.. Pay for a student licence and off you go I think!]

The driving test has become compulsory in our neck of the woods. Our daughter took it a few months ago and passed with flying colours!

jake
14th September 2015, 12:13
They are bringing in a truck ban during the peak hours soon
I think buses and coaches seem to be the main problem

There has been a truck ban during peak hours for a few years. Great if your traveling at these certain times but a nightmare when the ban ends and you suddenly have thousands of trucks trying to enter C-5
On Edsa buses are the main problem, however in other parts of Manila i would say that Jeeps and street vendors are the main culprits for causing traffic.

jake
14th September 2015, 12:29
I know they do that, I had to avoid the rules last time I drove in Manila. I am talking about 1/2 the cars, just two lots a day is not working. 1-5 Mon & Wed, 6-0 Tues & Thurs, and a free for all on Friday to remind people why the rules are in place.

Wouldn't work, as the majority of people who can afford one car, can more than likely buy another one with a different plate ending number.
When we buy a new vehicle i will specifically ask at the dealership for a number that doesn't coincide with our other cars.

jake
14th September 2015, 12:33
, chaotic driving and chaotic behaviour doesn't help IMO

Did i give you a lift? :biggrin:

KeithD
14th September 2015, 14:16

Nothing wrong with your driving as long as the passengers are on Prozac :anerikke:

Terpe
14th September 2015, 15:40

You always give me a lift Jake :wink:

stevewool
14th September 2015, 18:27
Hello Jake

SimonH
14th September 2015, 19:15
I'll be there tomorrow, so I'll let you know :smile:

SimonH
14th September 2015, 19:52
At the gate and got upgraded again :biggrin:

Arthur Little
14th September 2015, 22:48
I'll be there tomorrow, so I'll let you know :smile:

http://www.filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/58052-Our-baby-at-2-weeks?highlights=Baby+Pic+-+GrahamW

Tomorrow? :cwm24: Well, Simon - on the off~chance you'd happened to miss my best wishes in that thread of Graham's :yeahthat: (#20) - I'd like to express them again ... BON VOYAGE! :biggrin:

Arthur Little
14th September 2015, 23:56
At the gate and got upgraded again :biggrin:

Oops :icon_rolleyes: ... you're already at the gate AND got an upgrade into the bargain?

Well done! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

SimonH
15th September 2015, 04:40
Thanks Arthur

Posted from 37000 ft, well I tried to. So now posting from Dubai :smile:

KeithD
15th September 2015, 08:56
Posted from 37000 ft, well I tried to. So now posting from Dubai :smile:

Etihad have internet on most planes these days, so you can stay in touch 5 miles up. It's important to know what that dancing cat is doing on Facebook. :Erm: