PDA

View Full Version : Tourists and pinay snatched from Samal Island

primdale
22nd September 2015, 10:53
this was on my list of places to visit january 2016.

http://www.ndbcnews.com.ph/news/armed-men-snatch-3-canadians-pinay-in-samal-island

fred
22nd September 2015, 12:24
Seems that the Canadian guy was a mining executive.. Its possible that he was the target by NPA perhaps?? They dont like miners up there.
If it was Abu Sayyaf they probably would have taken as many hostages as possible.. A very risky prospect for them as many places at sea for them to be cut off by the coast guard..
I could be completely wrong however!

Terpe
22nd September 2015, 15:11
This is a terrible happening and so far no explanations.
By all accounts the kidnappers spoke fluent English and Tagalog only.

I don't think NPA or AS

primdale
22nd September 2015, 15:30
my partner spoke to her dad this morning and he told her the story going round is kidnappers could be
from the compostela valley.

London_Manila
22nd September 2015, 19:03
I would imagine those members of this forum who like to preach on about how safe Mindanao and Davao is
Are probably crying into their cornflakes at the moment......
The British governments advice about avoiding Mindanao is there for a reason :doh

"Safe as houses" pull the other one its got bells on it

jonnijon
22nd September 2015, 22:59
Funny how we get these comments from people who dont live here.

London_Manila
22nd September 2015, 23:35
Funny how we get these comments from people who dont live here.

Do i need to live in Iraq or Syria to know that they are not very safe places to live in

People living in Mindanao will naturally claim that it's as safe as anything but they are the ones who are providing this forum with misinformation.

A brief search of the internet will provide a much more truthful and realistic view on how safe Mindanao actually is......

The argument normally put forward by expats resident in Mindanao is that you have lived there for a number of years and nothing has ever happened to you = well you got lucky

I would feel sorry for any person reading this forum and then traveling to Mindanao thinking thats its a safe part of the Philippines to then ending up being kidnapped.........

fred
22nd September 2015, 23:54
On CCTV.

https://youtu.be/j3whhfqbqzM

jake
23rd September 2015, 03:11
The British governments advice about avoiding Mindanao is there for a reason

The advice they give on most countries is enough to give some folks the Heebie-jeebies.
For instance they say the chances of an act of Terrorism in Spain is highly likely and if that doesn't happen the chances are you might fall of a balcony :doh Does it stop around 10 million Brits going there every year?
Am i more than likely to be kidnapped in Mindanao than London... Yes, however if you fear so many things you are never going to live life to the fullest IMO

Arthur Little
23rd September 2015, 03:23
The advice they give on most countries is enough to give some folks the Heebie-jeebies.
For instance they say the chances of an act of Terrorism in Spain is highly likely and if that doesn't happen the chances are you might fall of a balcony :doh Does it stop around 10 million Brits going there every year?
Am i more than likely to be kidnapped in Mindanao than London... Yes, however if you fear so many things you are never going to live life to the fullest IMO

Yep ... :iagree:. Damned :gp:s, Jake. :welcomex: to the Silver Star brigade!

Terpe
23rd September 2015, 06:17
I would imagine those members of this forum who like to preach on about how safe Mindanao and Davao is
The British governments advice about avoiding Mindanao is there for a reason :doh

What a truly discourteous and prejudicial post.

Instead on commenting on the subject it serves the poster better to leave insulting remarks which allows them to feel somehow victorious in the face of this tragic happening.

Terpe
23rd September 2015, 06:42
Canadian kidnapped in Philippines has extensive security training

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2015/09/22/canadian-kidnapped-in-philippines-has-extensive-security-training.html

Terpe
23rd September 2015, 06:43
Quite an interesting read.
I do hope he can make best use of his training and knowledge to help the others cope with this terrible situation they find themselves in

Iani
23rd September 2015, 09:32
I'm not going to comment on whether Mindanao is dangerous or not, I am not an expert on that and couldn't say.

Just a couple of things, first if the NPA are really what they claim to be, they shouldn't really care less about foreigners, unless they were involved in economic activity threatening to locals. Of course, things get twisted and perhaps they are.

The bigger thing - a bomb goes off in Istanbul, some tourists get stabbed in Marmaris, and Turkey becomes unsafe for tourists. Some separatists in a region of Turkey have a shoot-out - despite that region being further away than the UK is to Italy, then the beach resorts overlooking Greece become unsafe to tourists.
Demonstrations in Bangkok and the government advises against going to Thailand............all of Thailand.
Someone sets off a bomb in Mallorca - does the home office advise against all visits to Spain? Do they advise on avoiding Magaluf - do they hells like.

Selective much?

Terpe
23rd September 2015, 11:43
A very interesting couple of reads giving some insights in some of the people captured.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/two-canadians-among-four-abducted-at-phillippine-marina/article26468651/

This gives an interesting account of what happened as reported by witnesses.
Seems the Canadian mining executive became involved after taking a decision to try to help others.

If the witness report is correct then he's a very brave guy. I'd go as far as to say hero.
Many other foreign tourists decided not to get involved after being threatened at gunpoint.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/canadian-abducted-in-philippines-was-trying-to-help-others/article26490312/

irishman12
23rd September 2015, 17:48

im not checking forums as frequently over the last few months-so perhaps you could do me a favour and show me the posts where people were preaching how safe it is? i think most here know there are problems in mindanao but unless you can tell me manila or other parts of the world are safer than most of mindanao since you probably havent been there -then dont you think you should comment on other matters? so far i have been there at least 9 times -for weeks or more at a time from north to south incl some areas of cotobato etc and except for some dangerous roads/drivers -i think there is more chance id be hit by a car crossing the road in manila than being kidnapped in mindanao ,so my advice is to stay in your bed where its 100% safe.:ReadIt:

jonnijon
23rd September 2015, 22:53
im not checking forums as frequently over the last few months-so perhaps you could do me a favour and show me the posts where people were preaching how safe it is? i think most here know there are problems in mindanao but unless you can tell me manila or other parts of the world are safer than most of mindanao since you probably havent been there -then dont you think you should comment on other matters? so far i have been there at least 9 times -for weeks or more at a time from north to south incl some areas of cotobato etc and except for some dangerous roads/drivers -i think there is more chance id be hit by a car crossing the road in manila than being kidnapped in mindanao ,so my advice is to stay in your bed where its 100% safe.:ReadIt:

Well said.:xxgrinning--00xx3::icon_lol:

London_Manila
24th September 2015, 01:21
What a truly discourteous and prejudicial post.

Instead on commenting on the subject it serves the poster better to leave insulting remarks which allows them to feel somehow victorious in the face of this tragic happening.

I never knew a thread could not be expanded to include other subjects and as these kidnappings did occur in Mindanao so i feel my comments are both relevant and valid

I still maintain that Mindanao is not safe Island for British nationals to visit and my postings will continue to reflect that.
I am sure you will agree that a good forum welcomes all views and thoughts even if one does not agree with them.

Steve.r
24th September 2015, 01:31
I never knew a tread could not be expanded to include other subjects and as these kidnappings did occur in Mindanao so i feel my comments are both relevant and valid

I still maintain that Mindanao is not safe Island for British nationals to visit and my postings will continue to reflect that.
I am sure you will agree that a good forum welcomes all views and thoughts even if one does not agree with them.Have any of your posts 'ever' been positive about the Philippines :Erm: Sorry, but I can't remember one!

London_Manila
24th September 2015, 01:32
I'm not going to comment on whether Mindanao is dangerous or not, I am not an expert on that and couldn't say.

Just a couple of things, first if the NPA are really what they claim to be, they shouldn't really care less about foreigners, unless they were involved in economic activity threatening to locals. Of course, things get twisted and perhaps they are.

The bigger thing - a bomb goes off in Istanbul, some tourists get stabbed in Marmaris, and Turkey becomes unsafe for tourists. Some separatists in a region of Turkey have a shoot-out - despite that region being further away than the UK is to Italy, then the beach resorts overlooking Greece become unsafe to tourists.
Demonstrations in Bangkok and the government advises against going to Thailand............all of Thailand.
Someone sets off a bomb in Mallorca - does the home office advise against all visits to Spain? Do they advise on avoiding Magaluf - do they hells like.

Selective much?

Mindanao does have a long history of kidnappings bombings and shootings going back many years so i would say that the USA and Uk Governments advise about not going to Mindanao is based on hard facts and on how many attacks happen there on a yearly basis

Only last week on Mindanao an eleven year girl was killed in a bus bombing and 32 other people were injured

London_Manila
24th September 2015, 01:35
Have any of your posts 'ever' been positive about the Philippines :Erm: Sorry, but I can't remember one!

And people accuse me of being off topic :NoNo:

KeithD
24th September 2015, 09:25
Certain parts of Mindanao should be avoided by tourists, but not the majority of it, as with most countries.

The official travel advice from the Australian government is enough to put people off coming here, but if you live here you would say it is safe:

*We advise you to a exercise normal safety precautions in the United Kingdom (UK). You should exercise common sense and look out for suspicious behaviour.
*We assess there is a heightened threat of terrorist attack in a number of European countries, including the UK.

fred
24th September 2015, 23:24
Samal kidnap victims brought to Sulu - military source

Manila, Philippines - An intelligence source in the military indicated on Thursday that the three foreigners and Filipino woman who were abducted from a resort on Samal Island, Davao del Norte appear to have been taken straight to Sulu by their kidnappers.

http://www.interaksy...military-source (http://www.interaksyon.com/article/117963/samal-kidnap-victims-brought-to-sulu---military-source)

Looks like the military were warned but didn't take necessary action?

Meanwhile, an intelligence officer disclosed that the military received information on the first week of September about the plan of the ASG to kidnap foreigners in Davao.
“We have a single source who said the Abu Sayyaf have plans to kidnap foreign nationals in Davao,” the official, speaking on condition of anonymity said.

http://www.mb.com.ph...4oo0shklVdvZ.99 (http://www.mb.com.ph/asg-eyed-in-samal-kidnapping/#v2uB4oo0shklVdvZ.99)

FCO issues new warning after kidnapping at Filipino holiday resort

http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2018592

London_Manila
25th September 2015, 01:07
Certain parts of Mindanao should be avoided by tourists, but not the majority of it, as with most countries.

The official travel advice from the Australian government is enough to put people off coming here, but if you live here you would say it is safe:

*We advise you to a exercise normal safety precautions in the United Kingdom (UK). You should exercise common sense and look out for suspicious behaviour.
*We assess there is a heightened threat of terrorist attack in a number of European countries, including the UK.

For the record i maintain that London is not safe at all and its only a matter of time before we get another attack here in London from Muslim extremists

I cant do anything about it because i live here but i can certainly avoid parts of the Philippines like Mindanao for obvious reasons

jake
25th September 2015, 09:08
For the record i maintain that London is not safe at all and its only a matter of time before we get another attack here in London from Muslim extremists

I agree, although I sincerely hope we are both wrong.
The only difference is I will get zero satisfaction from being right and I certainly won’t mock people who live in London or happen to be visiting. Diba?

gm47
25th September 2015, 10:07
I think you have to evaluate your safety by yourself, some will be more cautious than others. I have took some risks before that others thought I was mad but I believed at the time the risks were minimal. I was in Manila when the peninsula hotel was under siege by the army after a so called coup, there was shooting but I was interested and walked up there from Glorietta, very slim chances of danger IMO. Got pulled off a bus at gunpoint in Mindanao, luckily it was the Phils army. On the other hand this year I decided to cancel my boat trip to Dapitan after the beheading there.

Ive lived in London most of my adult life but would never consider the risks of danger very high, even if a terrorist group said tonight that they will plant a bomb in London tomorrow I wouldn't change my plans to go. My reasoning would be is that London is such a big city that the chances of me being in the wrong place at the wrong time would be very slim.

Personal safety is how you yourself evaluate the risks.

Tawi2
25th September 2015, 11:26
I chatted to someone on samal about this yesterday,speculation its a kidnap for randsom because of the foreigners relatively high profile,wouldnt put me off visiting samal again despite the fact that lightening can and does strike twice at times.

irishman12
25th September 2015, 18:28
Mindanao does have a long history of kidnappings bombings and shootings going back many years so i would say that the USA and Uk Governments advise about not going to Mindanao is based on hard facts and on how many attacks happen there on a yearly basis

Only last week on Mindanao an eleven year girl was killed in a bus bombing and 32 other people were injured

only last week there were probably lots of car crashes in england and people hurt or killed but that doesnt stop people travelling in cars? as i said stay in bed if you want to be safe:doh

irishman12
25th September 2015, 18:29

I cant do anything about it because i live here but i can certainly avoid parts of the Philippines like Mindanao for obvious reasons

you could move but pls dont move to mindanao .

London_Manila
26th September 2015, 00:32
I agree, although I sincerely hope we are both wrong.
The only difference is I will get zero satisfaction from being right and I certainly won’t mock people who live in London or happen to be visiting. Diba?

Not mocking i take umbrage with people who live in Mindanao and try and paint a picture that Mindanao is as safe as houses

London_Manila
26th September 2015, 00:34
you could move but pls dont move to mindanao .

Not the slightest chance of me ever setting foot on that perilous Island :wink:

fred
26th September 2015, 01:04

What about Negros? Would you set foot there?

jake
26th September 2015, 02:31

The argument normally put forward by expats resident in Mindanao is that you have lived there for a number of years and nothing has ever happened to you = well you got lucky

Of course not :doh

Terpe
26th September 2015, 04:33
Not mocking i take umbrage with people who live in Mindanao and try and paint a picture that Mindanao is as safe as houses

Well, thanks for the negative rep you gave me based solely on your umbrage and my supposed comments on Mindanao being 'safe as houses'.

As for anyone here suggesting Mindanao was "safe as houses" perhaps you'd care to share such evidence before applying neg reps as I certainly can't find anything.
There are a number of reports/surveys putting Davao City as one of the safest cities on the planet
but here again I don't see why your umbrage at such reports should prompt you to such churlish behaviour.

Your post was indeed mocking. Especially for our fellow forumers who are currently living on Samal Island.

Read it again

What a cheap shot.

You'll notice I didn't retaliate with a neg rep for you. You're really not worth it

Michael Parnham
26th September 2015, 06:55
You've every right to defend your case, well chosen words Peter!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
26th September 2015, 08:06
Samal kidnap victims taken to Sulu: Duterte

MANILA - Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte claimed Saturday that the four tourists kidnapped by armed men on Samal Island in Davao Oriental have been taken to Sulu.

http://rp1.abs-cbnne...en-sulu-duterte (http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/regions/09/26/15/samal-kidnap-victims-taken-sulu-duterte)

What a mess.

jake
26th September 2015, 08:57
http://rp1.abs-cbnne...en-sulu-duterte (http://rp1.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/regions/09/26/15/samal-kidnap-victims-taken-sulu-duterte)

What a mess.

Yep :cwm25:

He also said he would offer himself as a hostage in exchange for the current victims.
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/regions/09/24/15/duterte-offers-self-place-kidnap-victims

Cant really work the guy out, as one minute he is saying he wont go to Samal or say much out of respect for the military and police. Then he claims the vicims are in Sulu which adds more confusion to the whole mess.

Terpe
26th September 2015, 09:07
Yep :cwm25:

He also said he would offer himself as a hostage in exchange for the current victims.
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/regions/09/24/15/duterte-offers-self-place-kidnap-victims

Can really work the guy out, as one minute he is saying he wont go to Samal or say much out of respect for the military and police. Then he claims the vicims are in Sulu which adds more confusion to the whole mess.

He can be complicated. Bit like most lawyers :wink:

Samal Island isn't part of Davao City or the Davao del Sur region. Like he mentions, he just need to be careful not to tread too heavily on the toes of others.

I think he needs to keep out of the media loop.

KeithD
26th September 2015, 09:47
Just remember that if the Home Office recommends not going to a country, travel insurance is likely to be invalid.

KeithD
26th September 2015, 09:51
London is statistically safe, whether a terrorist attack takes place or not. You are more likely to be murdered (100 a year), or killed on the road (150 a year).

So keep an eye on who is behind you in case they have a knife, but don't walk in to the road while doing so. :icon_lol:

London_Manila
26th September 2015, 17:29
What about Negros? Would you set foot there?

I don't really want dent my reputation of only ever posting negative comments :wink:

So it grieves me to say that yes both Bacolod and Dumaguete are great places to visit and would make fantastic retirement destinations :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ormoc is great also :smile:

London_Manila
26th September 2015, 17:41
Well, thanks for the negative rep you gave me based solely on your umbrage and my supposed comments on Mindanao being 'safe as houses'.

As for anyone here suggesting Mindanao was "safe as houses" perhaps you'd care to share such evidence before applying neg reps as I certainly can't find anything.
There are a number of reports/surveys putting Davao City as one of the safest cities on the planet
but here again I don't see why your umbrage at such reports should prompt you to such churlish behaviour.

Your post was indeed mocking. Especially for our fellow forumers who are currently living on Samal Island.

Read it again

What a cheap shot.

You'll notice I didn't retaliate with a neg rep for you. You're really not worth it

No you never retaliated as you left that to your fellow mods to do
Mods like STEVE R who sends out negative reps and then amends my settings so i cant reply

Maybe the humour in my postings flew over your head and indeed it did
In future view my comments as the "tongue in cheek" variety

I admire your determination and tenacity in advocating that Mindanao is somehow safe
This will never wash with me and i maintain Mindanao is unsafe

Trying to take the moral high ground concerning the poor people who were kidnapped hardly helps your argument
It goes without saying that my thoughts are with these guys and their families right now
i hope the outcome is positive for these guys and they can return back to normality soon

irishman12
26th September 2015, 20:22

it maybe safe where they live but since you have never been there -it s best to just comment on things you know about

irishman12
26th September 2015, 20:28

now thats the best news ive heard in a long time -will just wait until the rugby match is over for more good news

jonnijon
26th September 2015, 23:15
http://dumaguetenews.com/2014/02/citizens-take-action-violence/

Safe here :laugher:

stevewool
27th September 2015, 08:48
Could be worst you could be in Bolsover, there so unhappy them lot are :biggrin:

Terpe
27th September 2015, 09:55
No you never retaliated as you left that to your fellow mods to do

Not so. Incorrect.

Mods like STEVE R who sends out negative reps and then amends my settings so i cant reply

I have no idea what this is about. Period.

Maybe the humour in my postings flew over your head and indeed it did

Where's the humour ?

In future view my comments as the "tongue in cheek" variety

I admire your determination and tenacity in advocating that Mindanao is somehow safe
This will never wash with me and i maintain Mindanao is unsafe

As said, nobody here has ever posted that Mindanao is 'safe as houses'

Trying to take the moral high ground concerning the poor people who were kidnapped hardly helps your argument

I haven't mentioned the people who were kidnapped.
I mentioned forum members currently living on Samal Island in connection with your cheap shot mocking post

Iani
27th September 2015, 11:34

Pretty much my feelings about Rhodes tbh

Iani
27th September 2015, 11:43
Just remember that if the Home Office recommends not going to a country, travel insurance is likely to be invalid.

Funny that, I once had a huge argument with Thomas Cook that the holiday they'd booked for me in Yugoslavia should be cancelled at no expense to me, because their own insurance stipulates it would be invalid in the case of a war. They refused to do so, until the hotel I was supposed to be booked into was bombed. They then decided to cancel :icon_lol:

SimonH
27th September 2015, 12:00
Can anyone tell me how many tourests haven't been kidnapped on Mindanao this year :Erm:

Tawi2
27th September 2015, 12:37
I have been all over pinas,only once really felt uneasy and that was when a guy pulled a gun on me in iloilo,but he was drunk and didnt really have any intention of shooting me,just wanted to scare me a little.I went up Mt Bongao once and heard rumours of some idiot kids chatting about kidnapping the foreigner when i left bongao,but that was just kids chatting crap.Davao has its dark side,cop shot the other week because he was drunk,young girl gang raped etc,but manila feels more threatening than davao for the average westerner,it is what it is,murder,kidnap and mayhem are worldwide,wherever you get people your going to get crime,mindanao doesnt have the monopoly.

London_Manila
27th September 2015, 16:38
it maybe safe where they live but since you have never been there -it s best to just comment on things you know about

If i fancy being blown up / kidnapped or being shot accidently by the police undercover death squads then i may reconsider my decision

KeithD
27th September 2015, 18:34
.....murder,kidnap and mayhem are worldwide,wherever you get people your going to get crime,mindanao doesnt have the monopoly.

Not quite true, the crime rate in the last 15 years where I live has been zero :xxgrinning--00xx3: Mind you, that's only because the locals haven't figured out yet what I've been taking from them all those years :icon_lol:

primdale
29th September 2015, 16:43
http://www.ndbcnews.com.ph/news/no-sighting-of-samal-island-kidnap-victims-yet-afp

Michael Parnham
29th September 2015, 18:17
http://www.ndbcnews.com.ph/news/no-sighting-of-samal-island-kidnap-victims-yet-afp

Hope they are found alive very soon!

primdale
29th September 2015, 20:40
Hope they are found alive very soon!

i hope so too.

Michael Parnham
3rd October 2015, 19:29
Any more news anyone?:Erm:

primdale
6th October 2015, 17:18
Any more news anyone?:Erm:

http://www.ndbcnews.com.ph/news/2-suspects-in-samal-kidnapping-fall

Michael Parnham
6th October 2015, 18:25
http://www.ndbcnews.com.ph/news/2-suspects-in-samal-kidnapping-fall

Thank you so much for the update!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
6th October 2015, 21:59
Can anyone tell me how many tourests haven't been kidnapped on Mindanao this year :Erm:

You mean Tourettes?
Lots.
Duterte wont put up with it apparently.

Terpe
7th October 2015, 06:46
Duterte: Two Samal kidnappers identified, one of them arrested

I saw this on TV last night.

I'm not sure he should have said anything really.

Read the story here (http://cnnphilippines.com/regional/2015/10/06/Rodrigo-Duterte-two-Samal-kidnappers-identified-arrested.html)

Tawi2
7th November 2015, 13:08
Theres a video circulating showing the kidnap victims in front of an ISIS flag surrounded by armed men,rumour is one of them has been beheaded but thats unverified.

Ako Si Jamie
17th December 2015, 20:08
Sounds similar to the AS kidnapping in Honda Bay in Palawan over a decade ago. High end resorts with wealthy individuals being the target again.

Tawi2
26th April 2016, 09:57
The canadian hostage has been murdered.:NoNo:

Steve.r
26th April 2016, 11:30
The canadian hostage has been murdered.:NoNo:
I saw this on the BBC earlier today too. Sad

fred
26th April 2016, 13:00
R.i.p

Terpe
26th April 2016, 15:03
I too was very much saddened to learn about his murder.
My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

I still live in the hope the remaining hostages will be released.

Trefor
26th April 2016, 19:02
Pretty crap result, unfortunately things like this make me wonder about visiting some places in Ph...

Rose constanty thinks I'm going to get kidnapped, and of course I think I'd be a cross between Macgyver and the A team, but in reality it would be a bit .... to put it mildly.

Meanwhile many people are thinking of voting for the same old same old...

Michael Parnham
26th April 2016, 19:54
Not good R.I.P:NoNo:

Terpe
27th April 2016, 14:17
Pretty crap result, unfortunately things like this make me wonder about visiting some places in Ph...

Rose constanty thinks I'm going to get kidnapped, and of course I think I'd be a cross between Macgyver and the A team, but in reality it would be a bit .... to put it mildly.

Meanwhile many people are thinking of voting for the same old same old...

My personal experience after 18 months living here in Davao City is that Davao City itself is very safe. I'm easily able and comfortable to move around the city alone day or night without any uncomfortable feelings or issues at all.

If I'm going to be honest, it's a different world beyond the check-points of the city limits.

I have many family members and friends in ComVal and I've enjoyed my many visits to some fantastic places, but even a friend who is a high ranking police officer has advised to stay with family groups and not travel around outside their protection.

Even a solo fishing outing to the beach in the town of my family is not advised.

Sad really. Such restrictions can become a real pain and have developed into one of the reasons we have decided to relocate out of Mindanao.
Make no mistake, there are some places of magnificent beauty in Mindanao but in all honesty the feeling of personal safety outside Davao City limits is always in mind.

I've visited family in Cotabato, Zamboanga and Surigao and whenever we go I can sense their feeling of heightened security.

We will leave our current house on Saturday and have a flight booked to Manila the week after.

I love Davao Life and so much will be missed but I need to experience much more of my new home in the Philippines than is practically possible with a freedom of mind than here in Mindanao

Tawi2
27th April 2016, 16:16
I have been goingnto Davao for around 25 years,lived there for a while,it used to be pretty bad,nowadays it has a safe vibe far greater than manila,odd that abu sayaf came all the way to samal to snatch spme hostages,sad it ended how it did fornthe canuck.

Tawi2
27th April 2016, 17:03
His head was dumped in a carrier bag in jolo,the randsom for him was a totally unrealistic $8,000,000.Best thing to do with these people is to wipe their bloodline off the face of the planet,their mum,their dad,their brothers and sisters,its harsh but on the same level as kidnapping some old guy and hacking into his neck with a blunt machete.

tiger31
5th May 2016, 14:08
The Canadian getting his head cut off has appeared on Facebook as expected .feckin animals .

fred
5th May 2016, 14:17
I have been goingnto Davao for around 25 years,lived there for a while,it used to be pretty bad,nowadays it has a safe vibe far greater than manila,odd that abu sayaf came all the way to samal to snatch spme hostages,sad it ended how it did fornthe canuck.

Pretty sure it wasn't Abu that got them initially.. Just a Filipino gang that sold them to them.

fred
5th May 2016, 14:21
His head was dumped in a carrier bag in jolo,the randsom for him was a totally unrealistic $8,000,000.Best thing to do with these people is to wipe their bloodline off the face of the planet,their mum,their dad,their brothers and sisters,its harsh but on the same level as kidnapping some old guy and hacking into his neck with a blunt machete.

I agree... If one of mine was topped in that fashion,I would pay BIG money to hunt down the families that raised them and have them all slaughtered.
Karma needs a bit of a push sometimes IMO.

Tawi2
5th May 2016, 14:22
Maybe fred,its a long way from samal to jolo,reminds me of the banged up abroad fictional account and book greg williams made cash from saying he was snatched from cebu harbour and whisked off to sulu by speedboat :thumbsdown: the producers should have done a little research before giving him cash for his fairy story.

Tawi2
5th May 2016, 14:24
I agree... If one of mine was topped in that fashion,I would pay BIG money to hunt down the families that raised them and have them all slaughtered.
Karma needs a bit of a push sometimes IMO.
Without a shadow of a doubt,if a terrorist knows his family line will be null and void once he commits an atrocity he would think once,twice,thrice before shouting allah akhbar and slaughtering an innocent once he realises the same will be happening to his parents once henis identified.

fred
5th May 2016, 14:42
Without a shadow of a doubt,if a terrorist knows his family line will be null and void once he commits an atrocity he would think once,twice,thrice before shouting allah akhbar and slaughtering an innocent once he realises the same will be happening to his parents once henis identified.

With the way we feel about this Tawi..I`m surprised we have not yet seen this type of retaliation reported..
The first victim was a mining executive....Plenty of cash available to take revenge..Problem is the R.P Government will not agree to such measures.. I say "stuff them"...Go private..
To me it would create a very lucrative industry for the right kind of locals.

Sim11UK
8th May 2016, 22:45
Hi Guys, not been on here in a long time. Was truly saddened with the outcome of John Ridsdel and I sincerely hope there is a happier ending for the remaining hostages.
We made a trip down near Kalilangan, in Bukidnon Province (Mindanao) in January for the family fiesta and I have to say, this was the first time I felt nervous about travelling down there. All was fine and relaxed in the end and we had a great time.
It's kind of making me nervous, thinking of the outcome back here in the UK though?

Harry T
9th May 2016, 00:40
My personal experience after 18 months living here in Davao City is that Davao City itself is very safe. I'm easily able and comfortable to move around the city alone day or night without any uncomfortable feelings or issues at all.

If I'm going to be honest, it's a different world beyond the check-points of the city limits.

I have many family members and friends in ComVal and I've enjoyed my many visits to some fantastic places, but even a friend who is a high ranking police officer has advised to stay with family groups and not travel around outside their protection.

Even a solo fishing outing to the beach in the town of my family is not advised.

Sad really. Such restrictions can become a real pain and have developed into one of the reasons we have decided to relocate out of Mindanao.
Make no mistake, there are some places of magnificent beauty in Mindanao but in all honesty the feeling of personal safety outside Davao City limits is always in mind.

I've visited family in Cotabato, Zamboanga and Surigao and whenever we go I can sense their feeling of heightened security.

We will leave our current house on Saturday and have a flight booked to Manila the week after.

I love Davao Life and so much will be missed but I need to experience much more of my new home in the Philippines than is practically possible with a freedom of mind than here in Mindanao

Firstly i could not live in Manila, spent just 2 days there, and couldnt get out quick enough.

Your points about Davao are spot on, as for the rest of Mindanao well up towards the North Eastern side it appears there are NPA up there, i never felt threatened but i know for a fact that my GFs mother was worried for my safety, and an American guy who was on vacation, never drove around without some form of weapon under his drivers seat. So yes it may be a wise decision on your part, but i will be surprised if you stay in Manila, Panglao and Palawan are worth looking at to settle. Good luck Peter.

Tawi2
9th May 2016, 13:38
Hey stranger,long time no see,hows life sim?Hows Mrs Sim settled in?Her aunty still nurse in St Peters toril?

Sim11UK
9th May 2016, 19:20
Hi Tawi, we're good thanks Ladybug has settled in well and has made lots of friends, we've finished shelling out money as well, as she has citizenship now. All good! She recently sent a balikbayan box down to Davao, so I expect her Aunty benefitted. :smile: How are you? still having your adventures we hope? :Hellooo:

Sim11UK
9th May 2016, 19:35
Like Fred said, I understood it was a criminal gang who snatched them from Samal and sold them to the Abu Sayaf.

And Terpe, I'm sorry you've had to leave Mindanao, can't have been an easy decision?

Michael Parnham
9th May 2016, 19:57
Duterte: Two Samal kidnappers identified, one of them arrested

I saw this on TV last night.

I'm not sure he should have said anything really.

Read the story here (http://cnnphilippines.com/regional/2015/10/06/Rodrigo-Duterte-two-Samal-kidnappers-identified-arrested.html)

Just looked at his house on this link, it's awful I couldn't live in it:Erm:

Sim11UK
13th June 2016, 17:47
Gutted about this :NoNo: http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/second-canadian-hostage-robert-hall-killed-in-philippines-as-ransom-deadline-passes-report

Michael Parnham
14th June 2016, 08:11
Gutted about this :NoNo: http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/second-canadian-hostage-robert-hall-killed-in-philippines-as-ransom-deadline-passes-report

Just been reading of Robert Hall his wife and another mans death and viewed the video on MSN of the demands for money before killing them, makes one feel very bitter towards these killers. RIP to those that died.

Ako Si Jamie
24th June 2016, 19:43
Pinay hostage released in Sulu. Great news! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.update.ph/2016/06/abu-sayyafs-filipina-captive-freed-in-sulu/6726

Sim11UK
24th June 2016, 21:59
That is very good news, there were reports she had been released about a week ago, but they were unfounded. so this is good. I hope the Norwegian man is released soon? Can't imagine what they've been through?

primdale
17th September 2016, 14:46
Norwegian hostage freed.

http://www.ndbcnews.com.ph/news/abu-sayyaf-frees-norwegian-hostage