PDA

View Full Version : Stopped by immigration

Slip
22nd December 2015, 11:55
Whilst waiting for Harlene's Mum this morning at Heathrow airport my mobile rang. Normally I wouldn't answer withheld numbers but being 7am I decided it wouldn't be someone trying to sell me something.
Good job I did as it was immigration, they were holding Harlene's Mum. They wanted to know why she was coming for six months.... Who was paying for her visit whilst here and bought her airline tickets. Also what with her English not being any good she told them she was here to look after our baby, she meant to visit our baby. I had to explain to immigration that I do shift work and get 4 or 5 days off after each shift, then my wife let's her job know my off days in advance and will only work 2 or 3 of them each time I am off, so one of us is always off. So Harlene's mum will never be solely looking after our baby.

Plus the plane ticket was our Xmas present to her and the reason for six months is it is a once in a lifetime trip and myself and Harlene feel it is easier and cheaper to bring her here than us going there for two or three weeks if our work allow us time off together.

Anyway it took almost 90 minutes after the flight landed, but she finally emerged through the arrivals door.... We got home and missed Harlene by 20 minutes as she is working. Luckily her sister is here as the conversation would be hard today until Harlene gets home tonight.

mickcant
22nd December 2015, 12:03
Lucky you did answer the phone, I normally ignore them too.
I hope she has an enjoyable stay.
Mick.:smile:

Tawi2
22nd December 2015, 12:08
Could have been worse,she could have been stopped at NAIA. from exiting the country,i read they stop a number of people each day from leaving for holidays,the tickets and expenses for the trip arent reimbursed either.Heathrow staff just doing their job to be honest,i cam through terminal 3 last week and it was absolutely packed.The thing i found odd though,and always do,is i have to deal with indian or eastern european staff,who look at my passport before allowing me back into my country of birth :Erm::Erm:

Arthur Little
22nd December 2015, 13:33
Whilst waiting for Harlene's Mum this morning at Heathrow airport my mobile rang. Normally I wouldn't answer withheld numbers but being *7am I decided it wouldn't be someone trying to sell me something.
Good job I did as it was immigration, they were holding Harlene's Mum. They wanted to know why she was coming for six months.... Who was paying for her visit whilst here and bought her airline tickets. Also what with her English not being any good she told them she was here to look after our baby, she meant to visit our baby. I had to explain to immigration that I do shift work and get 4 or 5 days off after each shift, then my wife let's her job know my off days in advance and will only work 2 or 3 of them each time I am off, so one of us is always off. So Harlene's mum will never be solely looking after our baby.

Plus the plane ticket was our Xmas present to her and the reason for six months is it is a once in a lifetime trip and myself and Harlene feel it is easier and cheaper to bring her here than us going there for two or three weeks if our work allow us time off together.

Anyway it took almost 90 minutes after the flight landed, but she finally emerged through the arrivals door.... We got home and missed Harlene by 20 minutes as she is working. Luckily her sister is here as the conversation would be hard today until Harlene gets home tonight.

Phew! :cwm24: ... what a nightmare - and mair (Scots for more) - *that unearthly time of the morning is still night as far as I'm concerned. :wink:

Glad you managed to get everything sorted out in the end. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
22nd December 2015, 13:51
A merry xmas afterall:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
22nd December 2015, 20:37
Could have been worse,she could have been stopped at NAIA. from exiting the country,i read they stop a number of people each day from leaving for holidays,the tickets and expenses for the trip arent reimbursed either.Heathrow staff just doing their job to be honest,i cam through terminal 3 last week and it was absolutely packed.The thing i found odd though,and always do,is i have to deal with indian or eastern european staff,who look at my passport before allowing me back into my country of birth :Erm::Erm:

Half the staff at the Home Office and Passport Office are from the Indian Subcontinent too.

Then there is the media...

Connections ? Loyalties ? :cwm25:

The country is run by naive do-gooding fools.

Terpe
23rd December 2015, 05:03
Whilst waiting for Harlene's Mum this morning at Heathrow airport my mobile rang. Normally I wouldn't answer withheld numbers but being 7am I decided it wouldn't be someone trying to sell me something.

She was very lucky on a number of counts and it was also very lucky that they phoned you.

Not sure what duration was put down on the form but not many declare 6 months.
Also a big no-no to say looking after baby.

Anyway great pinoy Christmas for the slip household

SimonH
23rd December 2015, 12:18
Half the staff at the Home Office and Passport Office are from the Indian Subcontinent too.

Then there is the media...

Connections ? Loyalties ? :cwm25:

The country is run by naive do-gooding fools.

Half, really?

I'm sure they all have British passports just like a lot of our wife's or partners, and of course your son will be entitled to one too.

grahamw48
23rd December 2015, 13:32
Half, really?

I'm sure they all have British passports just like a lot of our wife's or partners, and of course your son will be entitled to one too.

You know what I mean.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with our relatives or their culture and religion.

Go ahead. Bury your head in the sand.

SimonH
23rd December 2015, 13:55
You know what I mean.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with our relatives or their culture and religion.

Go ahead. Bury your head in the sand.

Yep, you're spot on. How dare different nationalities come to the UK and gain British citizenship, and then pay taxes through getting jobs.
Unless their from the Philippines of course :Erm:

Slip
23rd December 2015, 14:20
Yep, you're spot on. How dare different nationalities come to the UK and gain British citizenship, and then pay taxes through getting jobs.
Unless their from the Philippines of course :Erm:

:xxgrinning--00xx3::laugher:

I can see what Graham is saying, but Simon is right, we can't have it our own way only if it suits...