PDA

View Full Version : Taking Theory test

Travellor
5th January 2016, 21:06
Hello everyone, my wife has obtained a Philippine driver's license does she still need to take theory test here in uk?

Thanks to those who can reply to my query:smile:

raynaputi
5th January 2016, 23:21
She can drive for a year here in the UK upon becoming a resident here and use her Philippine driving license. After that, she has to take and pass the theory and practical driving tests to be a fully licensed UK driver.

johncar54
6th January 2016, 10:05
My wife was more fortunate. We obtained a full non professional DL in Phil before we left. Friend of a friend route.

After a couple of years in Spain, the law was changed and she exchanged her Phil DL for a Spanish one.

One of her (yet again) new year resolutions is to actually learn to drive.

DAnn
6th March 2016, 03:14
Hello everyone, my wife has obtained a Philippine driver's license does she still need to take theory test here in uk?

Thanks to those who can reply to my query:smile:

Hi
I had international driving license from Phils when I came. I used to drive here in England with just that. It was valid for one year. When it expired I had to pass the theory test and that is the requirement before you can book for practical driving test. All the best!

johncar54
6th March 2016, 09:54
Hi
I had international driving license from Phils when I came. I used to drive here in England with just that. It was valid for one year. When it expired I had to pass the theory test and that is the requirement before you can book for practical driving test. All the best!

Just to clarify so that others do not fall foul

There is no such thing as an International DRIVING LICENCE. It is an International DRIVING PERMIT. It is NOT a D/L but a translation of one's national D/L.

When driving in a country where the permit is required one MUST always have their national DL with that permit, so they can both be produced is demanded by police..

If you doubt this. please look at:- http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/

An extract :
Recognised internationally, an International Driving Permit (IDP) normally allows the holder to drive a private motor vehicle when accompanied by a valid UK driving licence.

DAnn
7th March 2016, 00:51
Just to clarify so that others do not fall foul

There is no such thing as an International DRIVING LICENCE. It is an International DRIVING PERMIT. It is NOT a D/L but a translation of one's national D/L.

When driving in a country where the permit is required one MUST always have their national DL with that permit, so they can both be produced is demanded by police..

If you doubt this. please look at:- http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/

An extract :
Recognised internationally, an International Driving Permit (IDP) normally allows the holder to drive a private motor vehicle when accompanied by a valid UK driving licence.

Must have been a PERMIT then. The point is, YES one still needs to pass theory test regardless of whether they had or no driving license/permit from the Phils. And then pass the practical test.