PDA

View Full Version : Driving in Manila, Philippines During Our 2016 Visit

KeithD
6th February 2016, 17:36
Anyone who has been to the Philippines will know full well that driving there is nowhere near similar to driving in the UK, or any other western country. Although they do have laws relating to driving and traffic control, how strict they are depends on the area that will be driven in.

For instance, driving in Makati, Manila can be quite pleasant, except rush hour, but once out of that area normal service resumes. On the new SLEX highway, the police are everywhere, and any violations are quickly dealt with. In fact, they are now so strict on this road it makes UK and US highways look lax! While driving on SLEX, we passed many motorists who had been pulled up by the police, and seldom do a few seconds go past without seeing a police car. So, if you are going to drive on SLEX between Manila and Laguna, then stick to the law.

Rayna’s family was good enough to let us use the new Mitsubishi Montero, a rather large 4x4. It had GPS and numerous other wonderful things, but it was not as good as my Grand Picasso. The power steering on the 4x4 may as well have been non-existent for all the use it was. It would have been easier steering a three-legged blind elephant. But, a free vehicle is free, so no complaints. Especially as diesel was only 18 pesos a litre!! I was considering bringing some home in my luggage. This price was good news as the 4x4 mileage was only 8km/lt.

On the first day we enjoyed the vehicle, but at night we struggled to see anything in front of us, and nearly hit a few things, including a concrete pillar in the middle of the road (quite normal for the Phil). Even with the main beam on we could not really see much out of the windows, and it was very dangerous. It was only on the 3rd night that we realized the problem was with the tinted windows. In the UK front tints are banned, and now we know why. Your night vision is reduced by about 80%. Try wearing dark sunglasses when driving at night. Even Stevie Wonder can see better.

So, we changed the family 4x4 for a smaller Mitsubishi with only side tinted windows. It was amazing that night, we could see everything, however, being the Phil, the roads were just as dangerous as driving blind! This was a petrol car so we had to fork out a whopping 38 pesos a litre. However, we still had to drive at night with the windows open so that we could see the side mirrors.

Rayna kept telling me to lock the doors at all times, however, not much use really when some thief could just jump through the windows and steal the mountain of receipts that are quickly collected in this country. You so much as fart in the car, and someone will give you a receipt.

Anyway, on to the traffic in the Manila and Cavite regions. It was bad on my last trip in Manila, but getting around Cavite was not really a problem. This time it was. It looks like traffic has increased in all areas significantly. The number of trikes (a vehicle from the Devil himself) has gone up at least 100%, and they are now everywhere. Motorbikes have probably also doubled. Jeeps have increased, but not by many. The same goes for the buses. What has taken a big jump in numbers though are the 4x4’s on the road. We are not talking about the small ones or crossovers either, they are all the huge 4x4’s.

For some reason, Filipino’s have decided that when space is short on the road, bigger is better! When in the real world, smaller is actually better, hence the reason trikes are so popular. As money seems to be so readily available now in the Phil on loan, many are taking out finance to buy these huge 4x4’s. Diesel is cheap, keeping down running costs. So why would Japan, Korea and the US supply smaller 4x4’s when everyone is buying the big one? That is why you do not see Nissan Qashqai’s, etc. So now Manila and the surrounding areas are full of large 4x4’s being driven by people whose only driving skills came from Midtown Madness, Need for Speed, and Carmageddon!

Every main junction is now a total mess, with buses and jeeps changing lanes without warning and stopping in any lane. Motorbikes weave in and out like they are invincible (stats show otherwise). While the trikes, those eckin trikes, go anywhere they like, in any direction. No indicating, usually no lights, no seat belts for the passengers, usually kids, and are the main cause of the traffic problems. Spend 10 minutes getting through a junction full of trikes, and the road is then mysteriously clear. Just like the parting of the waves.

I discovered that the best way to drive was to get behind a bus, as they cleared the way for you. However, it did mean being prepared to stop quickly, in any lane, and to swerve in and out of traffic like an alcoholic driving home on a Friday night.

If the government really wants to do something about the traffic problems, then a few simple solutions are available. Ban all trikes from main roads, which is actually the law anyway, but the police do sod all. Enforce the keep right rule for jeeps and buses, and they must stop somewhere convenient, instead of when the passenger says stop. Anyone parking or stopping near a junction gets fined and towed. These rules are not difficult, as they are enforced in Makati.

Journeys that last time took an hour, now took 2-3 hours. Even driving to the local town of General Trias, just 3 miles away could take 20-30 minutes. Luckily, we knew a shortcut through the golf courses, so it only took 5-10. When we went to Laguna, it took 2.5hrs, an extra hour compared with the previous visit. Every single junction along the route was now clogged up thanks to the trikes.

Driving in the Philippines is not stressful for me, as I have a don’t care attitude to everything. It does cause health issues with my arthritis though having to constantly switch from break to accelerator. Doing this along with jetlag for the first days is not fun.

One strange thing was that the main road from General Trias to Tagatay was always clear, so we could easily do the journey in 30 minutes, exactly what the distance in the UK would take. Any other routes though suffered from congestion in numerous places. One trip of 50 miles took 3.5hrs, whereas in the UK I can do it in in just over 1hr.

Although Cavitex and SLEX are a great help in getting to and from Manila, the problem is getting to them. Roads are clogged up most of the day now, and so very few speedy routes exist. Unlike last time, avoiding rush hour seldom now works.

Some roads have been widened, in fact, quite a few, However, while doing so may seem like a great idea, they fail to remove the trees, and do not move the telegraph or power poles, so more often than not, they are still in the middle of the new lane. This makes them useless for driving on, so it makes you wonder why the bother widening the roads in the first place.

Driving in the Philippines is essential if you want to get out an about, but take plenty of water and food with you, you need to be more prepared than when driving through Death Valley.

The traffic situation is only going to get worse unless drastic action is taken. The government are taking steps to build new roads through Manila, but they need to clamp down on the driving and types of vehicles on the roads. Driving at night is very dangerous, and knowing that other 4x4 drivers cannot see a thing does not help. Many vehicles still drive with no lights, and people and animals can suddenly appear in front of you without warning.

If you are in anyway stressful, don’t bother attempting to drive in Manila. If you don’t get pissed off easily, then it is all about being very aware of everything going on around you. Concentrate 100%, and driving in the heavy traffic is not a problem. I look at it as driving through fog in the UK, it takes that much level of concentration.

One last thing, I got a taxi one night from Greenbelt in Makati to the Mall Of Asia (MOA) in the rush hour, a distance of around 4.5 miles. It took an hour! The taxi driver was happy though as I tipped him 100php for being so patient and honest.

Arthur Little
6th February 2016, 18:17
Interesting write~up ... and well~worth that rep Steve was unable to give you earlier for your other thread! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
6th February 2016, 18:49
Best read I've ever had on the Forum, just like reading a book, very enjoyable indeed Keith and thank you:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Longweekend
6th February 2016, 19:33
I think he composed this whilst riding in the taxi from Green Belt to MOA....:biggrin:

Ako Si Jamie
6th February 2016, 21:38
I haven't even considered driving in the Phils but that's because I do it for a living and look forward to a break. Buses are very cheap so that's good enough for me.

And that road north of Tagaytay towards Manila is just a nightmare. Rather you than me, Keith. :smile:

stevewool
6th February 2016, 22:33
What a great read Keith, the front window made me laugh, at first i though it was the crap lights, but like you you find out later its the tints:biggrin:

Slip
7th February 2016, 15:14
I remember my first visit to Philippines. On the way to the hotel in Manila from the airport, took me around 30 seconds to make my mind up that I'd never drive in Manila!

fred
7th February 2016, 21:52
Good read Keith..Keep that up and your Google rankings will go through the roof!

Road improvements here are often compromised by Local gov elections and there is nothing much the Government can do about it..
Here in Tagbilaran they changed the heavy traffic spots to a one way system and I couldn't believe it!! 500% improvement..It was like Silverstone race track.
Problem was it was close to local elections and the trike drivers association didn't approve of the changes..They are a huge lobby group here and the Politicians running for mayor had to Promise them that the one way system would be abandoned.. :cwm23:
And so it was. :crazy:

fred
7th February 2016, 21:58
What happened to the LRT to Baccoor-Imus-Dasma extension?? Another mass transit solution put on hold?:NoNo:

Terpe
8th February 2016, 06:03
Very enjoyable read.

I've also noticed the recent surge in ownership of huge 4x4 SUV's
Unless you're also driving one it can get a little intimidating as most of the drivers haven't got the first clue about traffic awareness.

Everyone tries to create their own lane, then when they want to sneak into proper lane they'll never use an indicator since that would inform other drivers of an intention who would then only speed up and block your maneuver. :NoNo:

jake
8th February 2016, 06:13
I enjoyed reading your post and the wife thinks your style of writing is hilarious!

Bigger is much better when it comes to dealing with other road users in the Philippines :wink:

KeithD
8th February 2016, 08:32
Bigger is much better when it comes to dealing with other road users in the Philippines :wink:

You should try driving with your willy out of the window then :yikes:

Your story will be available within the next few days, you won't be inviting me again :icon_lol:

mickcant
8th February 2016, 14:42
Enjoyable read, thanks Boss. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Rep awarded :smile:
Mick.:olddude: