PDA

View Full Version : Giving in your notice at work

stevewool
18th May 2016, 17:15
If you give in your notice at work and explain the reasons why , you give them the required time also, but what happens if the person, ie the owner of the company refuse to except it,
Do you still finish at the said date and if you do is there anything the company could do, like hold your owed monies

Arthur Little
18th May 2016, 18:11
If you give in your notice at work and explain the reasons why, you give them the required time also, but what happens if the person, ie the owner of the company refuse to except it,
Do you still finish at the said date and if you do is there anything the company could do, like hold your owed monies

Hmm ... :yeahthat: could depend on a number of factors, Steve - the MAIN two being:-

Firstly, I believe - from what you've said in the past - you're [either] the Deputy or Assistant Warehouse Manager ... responsible for a workforce of several delivery drivers. And, as such, you are held in high esteem by your employers. Hence, I'm sure they'd be reluctant to lose your services. If, however, you were to explain your reasons for wishing to leave - i.e., I take it, to be in order to emigrate to your wife's homeland - then ... :anerikke: ... there's not really a lot they can do about this decision, :NoNo: other than request you to serve a statutory period of notice required for someone of your grade. Which, of course, they're entitled to expect anyway.

Secondly, I imagine at your level of seniority, you'll be superannuated ... meaning your occupational pension might be affected in the event of early retiral. Again, though, this would, undoubtedly be determined by how long you've worked with the firm to date.

Steve.r
18th May 2016, 18:18
No need to explain why unless you really want to Steve. It is only a courtesy to say why. There is nothing your employer can do, he cannot, not accept your decision. It is not his place to say no. He can say he will miss you and he cannot demand anything from you if you have decided your leave date to your contractual notice period. Just make sure he sorts out all your taxes so you have no lingering and annoying letters arriving from the tax office every other week.

bigmarco
18th May 2016, 18:31
Yep No obligation to say Why. You just need to fulfill the terms of your contract of employment by giving the required amount of notice.
Acas can normally answer most questions on this subject

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1650

Slip
18th May 2016, 19:03
Like has been said. I have spoken to my union reps about when I hand in my notice when I eventually sell my house and move. As long as you work your contractual notice then that is good enough. If you wish to tell them reasons for leaving it's up to you, most people do anyway. Although it often feels it in many jobs, you are not in prison and nothing they can legally do to keep you if you want to go and have worked your notice.... although I got a nice little pay rise some years ago to persuade me to stay when I handed my notice in. But then you are in a different situation.

Terpe
19th May 2016, 12:50
You've had good advice Steve :xxgrinning--00xx3:

If it's your own circumstances, I'd advise a little time for caution and careful thinking. Make the decision on a logical basis and try to avoid the emotional basis

Arthur Little
19th May 2016, 13:05
You've had good advice Steve :xxgrinning--00xx3:

If it's your own circumstances, I'd advise a little time for caution and careful thinking. Make the decision on a logical basis and try to avoid the emotional basis

Yes, :iagree: ... and it might also be a good :idea: to consult your Company's Personnel Officer - assuming it has one - for advice. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

SimonH
19th May 2016, 13:09
Here's the official answer :smile:

https://www.gov.uk/handling-staff-resignations

Terpe
19th May 2016, 14:08
When I quit I had many discussions with HR
Eventually I agree a price for a confidentially agreement to not join a competitor within 5 years.

Good link Simon

fred
19th May 2016, 16:51
Although I had to concede that I had no complaints about the pay blah blah,Just before I left I told my sorry Boss that he had always been a nasty little scumbag and I had just about had enough of working for him.. Taking his B.S and general crap day in day out..Who did he think I was?? I felt like knocking him clean out to be honest..
OK...So I was self employed and owned my own business... So what?
I just told my self to STUFF the damned job!
And then I came over here!!
I like myself much more now.
:icon_lol:

stevewool
19th May 2016, 17:43
Thanks boys for all the advice,
Its not for me but a very good friend who is wanting to quit work ,
Mine is on the way but the boss has known about my leaving for 3 years now,
Each January i go into his office and say its not this year and he says thank you , but i am afraid next January its going to be a different saying , fingers crossed,

Arthur Little
22nd May 2016, 01:30
Just before I left I told my sorry Boss that he had always been a nasty little scumbag and I had just about had enough of working for him.. Taking his B.S and general crap day in day out..Who did he think I was?? I felt like knocking him clean out to be honest..
OK...So I was self employed and owned my own business... So what?
I just told my self to STUFF the damned job!
And then I came over here!!
I like myself much more now.
:icon_lol:

Talking of nasty little scumbags ... my immediate senior following a [reluctant] transfer to mainstream Social Services Administration in 1989 - after more than 14 years' service as Records Officer at Perth Prison Welfare Unit - was a right wee turd! Alas, unlike you, Fred, I knew I'd bugger all choice but to stick it out ... :anerikke: ... like it or lump it, despite the fact I was still grieving the loss of my dad who'd died suddenly and unexpectedly, just a few months previously.

Two and a half years later, my first wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer, and
I was granted several periods of compassionate leave of absence from then until she succumbed to Non~Hodgkins Lymphoma a week before Christmas 1991; still only 47, I returned to full-time work ... doing a job I'd grown to hate, and soldiered on until the Spring of 1993, when, one morning, I burst into tears :bigcry: at my desk. Guess it must've been some sort of delayed reaction to each of the close family bereavements.

Anyway, I was signed off on Sick Leave by my doctor, and the break was such a relief, I never wanted to go back to that sh ..hole! Aware too, that I was a couple of years older than my boss and, the fact that, with BOTH of us fast~approaching 50, neither was likely to be moving elsewhere in a hurry, proved a problem. Clearly, he didn't like me ... and the feeling was mutual! So ... in the end, I applied for early retiral - on health grounds - and, thank God, it was approved ... eventually.

Tawi2
22nd May 2016, 14:46
They cant refuse to accept it,slavery was abolished in the UK in 1833.