PDA

View Full Version : Because of terrorist activity at airports, do you now plan your trip to the Phils differently?

Ako Si Jamie
30th June 2016, 09:01
I'm a bit sceptical about having a stopovers in the Middle East from now on due to recent events even though Istanbul isn't actually classed as being part of it.

I've had a stopovers here several times before (due to cheap prices of flights) but also had ones further east in Hong Kong & China. I'll stick to the latter, Singapore, South Korea, maybe even Malaysia, or fly direct from now on I think.

But what about Heathrow? Anyone else having reservations?

Trefor
30th June 2016, 09:20
Depends on location. My ex used to work for Boeing in 'customer services', which is the team who knew about all the maintenance standards and repairs. After hearing many tales I won't fly any African, Russian or budget Chinese airline for starters. Regarding Terrorism Middle Eastern Airlines such as Ethiad, Emirates, Oman Air (take a look at their options, great airline) are safer than most. Stopping over/visiting countries such as UAE and Oman are very very safe. I think I would avoid Turkish for the forseeable future though. I doubt there is any difference with Cathay, Singapore Airlines etc.

I see you live in Birmingham. I use BHX all the time and hate LHR, the journey is so much more pleasant. you can use Qatar and Emirates with IMHO no worries.

Steve.r
30th June 2016, 09:27
I think this will always be a risk, but any public place can be a potential danger area. No one knows where or when. I can't and wont live my life worrying about what didn't happen.

On a similar note, think about NAIA, bag scans and metal detectors before you enter the airport buildings. Is this not the best thing to make all airports do. Both for passengers and picking up, scan everyone going into any buildings.

Trefor
30th June 2016, 11:43
I think this will always be a risk, but any public place can be a potential danger area. No one knows where or when. I can't and wont live my life worrying about what didn't happen.

On a similar note, think about NAIA, bag scans and metal detectors before you enter the airport buildings. Is this not the best thing to make all airports do. Both for passengers and picking up, scan everyone going into any buildings.

How many of the police/security actually have loaded weapons there? (or with live rounds?)

God forbid, but I think the lack of security and kerbside parking/check-in at US airports is a disaster waiting to happen. I sadly predict something will happen somewhere like LAX or JFK, outside the terminal.

Ako Si Jamie
30th June 2016, 12:25
Depends on location. My ex used to work for Boeing in 'customer services', which is the team who knew about all the maintenance standards and repairs. After hearing many tales I won't fly any African, Russian or budget Chinese airline for starters. Regarding Terrorism Middle Eastern Airlines such as Ethiad, Emirates, Oman Air (take a look at their options, great airline) are safer than most. Stopping over/visiting countries such as UAE and Oman are very very safe. I think I would avoid Turkish for the forseeable future though. I doubt there is any difference with Cathay, Singapore Airlines etc.

I see you live in Birmingham. I use BHX all the time and hate LHR, the journey is so much more pleasant. you can use Qatar and Emirates with IMHO no worries.

I was actually going to fly with Oman on my last trip before the Brussels & Istanbul atrocities but decided against it due to the times in and out of Manila.

As for BHX and Heathrow. I prefer the latter. Find Birmingham airport to be a bit claustrophobic.

Steve.r
30th June 2016, 13:06
Outside the terminal will always be an issue

bigmarco
30th June 2016, 15:03
I'm a bit sceptical about having a stopovers in the Middle East from now on due to recent events even though Istanbul isn't actually classed as being part of it.

I've had a stopovers here several times before (due to cheap prices of flights) but also had ones further east in Hong Kong & China. I'll stick to the latter, Singapore, South Korea, maybe even Malaysia, or fly direct from now on I think.

But what about Heathrow? Anyone else having reservations?

August will be my 10th trip to The Philippines and I've always managed to avoid the middle east. It occasionally works out a bit more expensive but it's a price worth paying.

Ako Si Jamie
1st July 2016, 07:30
August will be my 10th trip to The Philippines and I've always managed to avoid the middle east. It occasionally works out a bit more expensive but it's a price worth paying.

My favourite route is via Hong Kong with Cathay. It's the best airport I've been to and the stopover times are only a couple of hours usually - if that. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
1st July 2016, 11:19
I'm more worried that some obese smelly person will sit next to me on the plane than I am about being blown up. :cwm25:

bigmarco
1st July 2016, 15:27
My favourite route is via Hong Kong with Cathay. It's the best airport I've been to and the stopover times are only a couple of hours usually - if that. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I agree closely followed by Singapore :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
1st July 2016, 15:42
I agree closely followed by Singapore :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Never been in the airport at Hong Kong, but ... :anerikke: ... wouldn't have thought it could've bettered Changi, Singapore! :NoNo:

grahamw48
1st July 2016, 16:18
Hong Kong airport is super duper. I helped to build it... and co-starred in the original pre-opening promotional video. :olddude: