PDA

View Full Version : Never ever ever again......

Terpe
4th August 2016, 14:52
Spent a few days in Nueva Ecija visiting friends and family.

Actually we returned home earlier than planned for a couple of reasons.
One reason being I got a little bit ill, needed to take a dose of imodium and have the bro-in-law drive us home presto presto.

Anyway I was getting really fed up sleeping on a wooden bed with a 1 inch foam matress..... ouch

There are two potential culprits for my woes.

1. A traditional Ilocos soup called Papaitan . Which in principle is a soup of goat organs and intestines laced with Bile. Yep, green digestive enzymes.
Not much more to say really. Once I knew I tried to chicken out then gave in to the pressure amid cheers and too much laughter.
Talk about bitter. It was extreme and of course knowing why (Bile) I just couldn't hack it

Never, ever ever again.
If you get the chance please don't be polite and eat it. Be strong and say what you feel.

2 The second possibility may be Ensaladang Talbos ng Kamote, commonly called Sweet Potato Leaves Salad or Kamotes Tops salad.
Nothing as sinister as Papaitan. Very tasty and very healthy. However, it's also said to detoxify and cleanse you...... whatever that means. Well actually I've now got a pretty good idea.

Put these two together and guess what happened to me ???? I got cleansed.

Some said I shouldn't have mixed those dishes with beer. Know what I said ? Take me home

Never ever ever again......

Slip
4th August 2016, 15:10
Shouldn't laugh at you...... but I am.

Sorry :icon_lol:

SimonH
4th August 2016, 15:21
:Erm: Not sure if you're braver than me or just plain :crazy:

Anyway, thanks for sharing :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
4th August 2016, 15:25
Certainly a braver man than me.

Apart from rice, I cook all my own food, or take supplies with me when out and about.

I'm not there to test my immune system. :NoNo:

Arthur Little
4th August 2016, 15:35
A traditional Ilocos soup called Papaitan . Which in principle is a soup of goat organs and intestines laced with Bile. Yep, green digestive enzymes.

Talk about bitter. It was extreme and of course knowing why (Bile) I just couldn't hack it

Never ever ever again......

....................... :iagree: ... NOT even once in my case. :nono-1-1: ... 'fraid the mere thought's enough to make me retch! :vomit-smiley-011:

stevewool
4th August 2016, 17:22
O dear me , and i do understand about needing to get home very very quick too,
I always think of myself now and i do say no to what i dont fancy , i still get caught out with the water still though:yikes:

lordna
4th August 2016, 18:51
You have my sympathy. My last visit to the Philippines resulted in a similar reaction lasting two weeks after eating sisig (which i really like) in a bar. Not sure i will ever eat it again unless i know who has cooked it. Eating plain yoghurt daily finally got me back to normal

I suppose this is the price one pays for being adventurous about eating.

Longweekend
4th August 2016, 18:57
I only eat what I know when in the PI, tonight though it's fish and chips from the local chippy which is excellent....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve.r
4th August 2016, 21:26
oh dear Peter, you got cleansed ... I am quite happy to pass on food, with no remorse. If people don't understand that we do have different tastes, then it is just too bad.

Hope you get bunged up again soon.

Terpe
5th August 2016, 00:50
I had no stomach pains at all nor any other symptoms.
Been making solid progress (pun intended) since arriving home Tuesday.
Feeling on top of the world again this morning :Jump:

Yes, I do accept I'm an adventurous foodie to a fault.
Always have been.
Lessons learned on those two dishes :wink:

On the subject of Sisig, I've eaten some wonderful ones and also some awful ones. I love Sisig when it's cooked well, seasoned well and with good quality ingredients.
From experience I'd never eat it unless it's home cooked by someone I know.
Even then I'm selective. Some folks just can't cut it.

Some traditional dishes are very tasty and my wife will prepare them for me. Generally though, I wouldn't say that they're good.

By chance we found an excellent Japanese restaurant in UP Town Centre Mall at Katipunan.
The food and service was just great. We'll be going there again.

We found some really nice places to go to when we want to eat out.
Sadly not a single place serving Filipino foods :NoNo:

London_Manila
5th August 2016, 02:51
Bangus or pork sisig are delicious :xxgrinning--00xx3:

mickcant
5th August 2016, 06:29
I know what you have been through, I have not eaten those dishes but know my stomach would complain if I did :omg:
I keep Imodium indoors and use it abt every 4 months or so, depending!

Is Imodium available in the Philippines?
We know of course that Pilipino stomachs have been brought up on food "Stuff" that our western diets have not
Nor do I want to eat offal in any form let alone with Bile in it :cwm24:

You have my sympathy, I tried to give you a rep for your suffering, but the system said no!
Mick.

Michael Parnham
5th August 2016, 07:09
Often wonder what your suffering must be like, I'm not adventurous at all with food:Erm:

Terpe
5th August 2016, 07:20
Often wonder what your suffering must be like, I'm not adventurous at all with food:Erm:

I've always been interested and adventurous in foods that could be categorised as bizarre.

I think my tolerance has declined these past few years.........

jonnijon
5th August 2016, 23:22
There was a TV prog with a guy travelling all over the world eating strange foods, crispy sparrows on sticks and things like that :yikes::NoNo::action-smiley-081:It might be on youtube

melovesengland
6th August 2016, 21:36
sir peter from the word PAIT means bitter in english. ohh i feel bad for you, glad to know you are recovering well. :smile:

Terpe
7th August 2016, 13:39
sir peter from the word PAIT means bitter in english. ohh i feel bad for you, glad to know you are recovering well. :smile:

I have to try everything Novie , even if others say "don't"
Usually I enjoy all. Just this time it was so bitter and strange taste that I questioned it.......then ??????

I perfectly OK now and still looking for different dishes and tastes. My latest was crispy crabs. Those small ones ..... I'm sure you know them
Crablets ??

melovesengland
7th August 2016, 13:46
I have to try everything Novie , even if others say "don't"
Usually I enjoy all. Just this time it was so bitter and strange taste that I questioned it.......then ??????

I perfectly OK now and still looking for different dishes and tastes. My latest was crispy crabs. Those small ones ..... I'm sure you know them
Crablets ??

Yeah they are lovely. The only thing is because they are small they can be tricky sometimes to eat. Thats good to know u do try things. My husband Paul dont because it gives him tummy bugs. Dont know why.