PDA

View Full Version : Cooling fan

stevewool
24th August 2016, 20:34
With yesterday's heat and trying to sleep too, I decided to go and buy some sort of cheap aircon.
We have the usual fans around the house those that just move the warm air around the room.
So I went to Argos and brought this cooling fan, it stands 30 inches high and it oscillates too, and the price just £29.99, and it does the job perfect.
Ok it will not keep the whole house cool but if you move it from room to room it works fantastic.
Looks like tonight is going to be a cool night to sleep, last night was so hot in the bedroom , i don't know if it was sweat or body fluids,but that's another story:biggrin:

mickcant
25th August 2016, 11:36
Did you say "Hot action in the bedroom" Steve :do_it:
Mick.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve.r
25th August 2016, 16:29
, i don't know if it was sweat or body fluids,but that's another story:biggrin:

How horribly disgusting Steve, I hope you had a good wash.:cwm3:

stevewool
25th August 2016, 17:15
How horribly disgusting Steve, I hope you had a good wash.:cwm3:

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, Just rolled over and over onto the sheets a few times :biggrin:

johncar54
26th August 2016, 09:21
Not that it is important but for info.

Fans do not cool the air they actually very slightly increase the temperature in a room, i.e the heat coming from the motor.

What do they do ? They increase the air flow across one’s body thus any moisture on the skin (perspiration) is evaporated more quickly. Evaporation requires energy, i.e. heat, thus the heat comes from your body and cool you down.

So no point in leaving a fan on if you are not in the room, you are just wasting electricity.

PS For the Doubting Thomas's. Put a thermometer in front of the fan. The Temp will not change.

raynaputi
26th August 2016, 10:13

Fans do not cool the air they actually very slightly increase the temperature in a room, i.e the heat coming from the motor.

What do they do ? They increase the air flow across one’s body thus any moisture on the skin (perspiration) is evaporated more quickly. Evaporation requires energy, i.e. heat, thus the heat comes from your body and cool you down.

So no point in leaving a fan on if you are not in the room, you are just wasting electricity.

PS For the Doubting Thomas's. Put a thermometer in front of the fan. The Temp will not change.

Yep this is true. That's why we decided to buy a portable aircon 2 months ago instead.

Terpe
26th August 2016, 14:26

We installed inverter type air-con in every bedroom, but we very rarely use it since both of us prefer to have a regular fan on low when we are sleeping.
We do use the air-con now and then if we find the mercury rising far too much in summer time but only to cool us down and not running all night long.
The newer inverter type air-con units are not expensive to run at between 50% - 85% less than non-inverter types.
The very latest air-con units even have so called clean air filiters which (reputedly) mimics "fresh clean" air going into your room. The only downside being cost. That will surely reduce over time .

A simple fan suits us well enough.....

Has to be said that almost all of our guests staying over will use air-con....

mickcant
26th August 2016, 14:39
A simple fan suits us well enough.....

Has to be said that almost all of our guests staying over will use air-con....

I expect your tolerance to heat has grown in the time you have been there to some degree :cwm3:
Mick. :olddude:

Terpe
26th August 2016, 15:03
I expect your tolerance to heat has grown in the time you have been there to some degree :cwm3:
Mick. :olddude:

Maybe that's true Mick, but even since the first day we arrived we have been the same.

By the way ALL of our guests so far have been Filipinos :wink:

stevewool
27th August 2016, 21:28
Well when it was on it felt like it was cool air going all over my body, not dry warm air,
But now the weather has broke I may take it back now:biggrin: