PDA

View Full Version : Memories

stevewool
7th October 2016, 12:47
I love thinking back and smilling to myself on all the happy times from far back as I can remember and recent times too, but I am crap at dates.
Today I learnt my mum would have been 92 today if she had lived, but I remember my mum for when she was alive.
Do others have trouble remembering dates, or am I just to lazy or to busy to say yes on this or that date so and so happened,
PS, Steve you was at our wedding " what date was it", don't let on to Ems

Steve.r
7th October 2016, 13:34
lol, I forgot Steve :doh

mickcant
7th October 2016, 14:47
I have a large family tree, and always need to check dates of birthdays marriages and deaths in fact any life event.

I add info to my tree as soon as I find it, we think we will remember but it gets difficult with life's events.
I know so much more about the family now.
My late father would have been very interested.
Mick. :olddude:

grahamw48
7th October 2016, 17:34
For some reason I have a very good memory for dates... I mean, important ones of course.

For instance, I flew the nest and moved into my (36/- a week) bedsit in York on Feb 2 1970... aged 18. :smile:

I had just missed qualifying for an '18th' birthday and adulthood at 18, because that wasn't introduced until Jan 1 1970... whereas my birthday was the previous September.

The following February ( Feb 15 1971) was decimalisation day, when we all had to get used to 100 'New Pence' to the pound, instead of 240 pennies. :smile:

It affected me directly, because on that day I was working my evening job on the tills in a pub on London's Fleet Street.

The dearest beer (Draught Guinness) had to be converted from one shilling and ninepence to 9 New Pence ... for a pint.

Michael Parnham
7th October 2016, 18:08
For some reason I have a very good memory for dates... I mean, important ones of course.

For instance, I flew the nest and moved into my (36/- a week) bedsit in York on Feb 2 1970... aged 18. :smile:

I had just missed qualifying for an '18th' birthday and adulthood at 18, because that wasn't introduced until Jan 1 1970... whereas my birthday was the previous September.

The following February ( Feb 15 1971) was decimalisation day, when we all had to get used to 100 'New Pence' to the pound, instead of 240 pennies. :smile:

It affected me directly, because on that day I was working my evening job on the tills in a pub on London's Fleet Street.

The dearest beer (Draught Guinness) had to be converted from one shilling and ninepence to 9 New Pence ... for a pint.

Doesn't seem that long ago since Decimal currency:Erm:

Michael Parnham
7th October 2016, 18:09
I love thinking back and smilling to myself on all the happy times from far back as I can remember and recent times too, but I am crap at dates.
Today I learnt my mum would have been 92 today if she had lived, but I remember my mum for when she was alive.
Do others have trouble remembering dates, or am I just to lazy or to busy to say yes on this or that date so and so happened,
PS, Steve you was at our wedding " what date was it", don't let on to Ems

My eldest Daughter is your age Steve:wink:

Arthur Little
7th October 2016, 18:12
My eldest Daughter is your age Steve :wink:

:cwm24: ... hadn't realised you'd a daughter, Michael!

Michael Parnham
7th October 2016, 18:33
:cwm24: ... hadn't realised you'd a daughter, Michael!

Two plus one adopted Arthur :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
7th October 2016, 23:18
That made me think too Michael.

My Filipina stepdaughter from my first marriage is now 27 years old :cwm24:... 'adopted' by me from being a year old.

Michael Parnham
8th October 2016, 00:50
That made me think too Michael.

My Filipina stepdaughter from my first marriage is now 27 years old :cwm24:... 'adopted' by me from being a year old.

I adopted my ex wife's daughter and had a very busy life, after she had learnt to swim she joined Borough of Barnsley swim club and I used to take her for serious training every evening two hours also three mornings a week two hours before school and she only had one day off per month right up until she started university, she then qualified as a Marine Biologist at Bangor then on to Leeds to qualify as a Marine Geologist, busy lady. It made me so proud to be able to give a little girl from the Philippines the opportunity to study here in the UK and end up with a great career.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
8th October 2016, 01:19
Wow... all credit to you Michael. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Similar with my stepdaughter.. eventually brought her here when she was 7, after a very deprived early life in the province.

Finished up top of class in school here. Gained 14 GCSEs, then 4 A levels, then 1st class degree at Nottingham... and she's a lovely girl. :smile:

Michael Parnham
8th October 2016, 15:11
The trick is not to spoil them also teach them the correct way to do things but at the same time make it interesting for them, well done to you Graham:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
8th October 2016, 20:29
The trick is not to spoil them also teach them the correct way to do things but at the same time make it interesting for them, well done to you Graham:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I only played a small part Michael.

Here she is on graduation day, with my son... her half-brother. :smile:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/grahamw48/Facebook/Emily%20and%20our%20family/b9768c92-f4a7-440a-8d66-e03dde41d929_zps57c8bdph.jpg~original

Michael Parnham
10th October 2016, 17:18
I only played a small part Michael.

Here she is on graduation day, with my son... her half-brother. :smile:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/grahamw48/Facebook/Emily%20and%20our%20family/b9768c92-f4a7-440a-8d66-e03dde41d929_zps57c8bdph.jpg~original

Whatever you did Graham you did it right, looks like a good result to me:xxgrinning--00xx3: