PDA

View Full Version : Let's spend the cash

stevewool
9th October 2016, 19:41
A grand weekend we had , out on Saturday for lunch and a little shopping , then to kill a few hours we went car shopping.
Now dont all rush in and say "What the heck". its just spending a few hours spending nothing.
Well first off was the Mazda garage, MX5, very nice but if there was just me and Emma for ever well its just too small, plus i dont want my head stuck in my shoulders all the time we are driving it.
Next was the Ford garage , well they had a right mixture of cars for sale , but nothing of interest, well unless there Mustang was a little cheaper.
I was interested in the ford ranger but they did not have any on show.
Next was Toyota the big Land cruiser what a beast but what a price too.
Last but not lease was Mitsubishi the outlander very nice but somehow they dont seem the same as those that are in the Philippines, all looked great and when i looked back at my old Toyota, well it did look old the paintwork is fading and the lacquer is peeling too, but its my toyota of 15 years and its never let me down too, so i shall keep it a little longer i am thinking ,
But i must say just this , the Saab convertible is a fantastic looking car and i think i could fall in love with one of those

Steve.r
9th October 2016, 19:50
If I were you I would stick with what you got, a new car is only going to lose money as soon as you drive it off the forecourt.
Save your money for a nice car when you get to Phils Steve, you know it makes sense.

stevewool
10th October 2016, 08:03
If I were you I would stick with what you got, a new car is only going to lose money as soon as you drive it off the forecourt.
Save your money for a nice car when you get to Phils Steve, you know it makes sense.

It will never be a new car Steve, i am just hoping my car gets through the next MOT, but thats next January.
Plus yes you are right , the next car will be brought when and where ever we call home .

Trefor
10th October 2016, 13:45
No harm in a bit of car window shopping. Only a few cars are worth buying new. What I hate most is people moaning about how much money they have lost when they sell/part exchange. Look at a 3 year old version and see what it is worth when buying, and deduct a bit for the dealer margin. Accept that loss before you buy. I've bought 2 new cars in my life - both were not available in the model/spec I wanted - a Fiat Panda 100HP (zoom zoom), and a TVR T350 (broom, broom) :smile: (I have just sold the TVR and recouped 82.5% of the original purchase price after over 12 years of ownership).

I think a lot of new cars on the roads are leased these days. Not for me, but some people need to have the latest BMW/Audi on their driveway on a 8,000 miles p.a. £250 a month lease + deposit. £12k spent after 3 years and nothing to show for it. Then start the next lease. I'd rather have something to show for my money.

stevewool
10th October 2016, 13:53
No harm in a bit of car window shopping. Only a few cars are worth buying new. What I hate most is people moaning about how much money they have lost when they sell/part exchange. Look at a 3 year old version and see what it is worth when buying, and deduct a bit for the dealer margin. Accept that loss before you buy. I've bought 2 new cars in my life - both were not available in the model/spec I wanted - a Fiat Panda 100HP (zoom zoom), and a TVR T350 (broom, broom) :smile: (I have just sold the TVR and recouped 82.5% of the original purchase price after over 12 years of ownership).

I think a lot of new cars on the roads are leased these days. Not for me, but some people need to have the latest BMW/Audi on their driveway on a 8,000 miles p.a. £250 a month lease + deposit. £12k spent after 3 years and nothing to show for it. Then start the next lease. I'd rather have something to show for my money.

The only and best thing I have to show for the money is Emma, and she is costing me a future but with her by my side I am rich:biggrin:

SimonH
10th October 2016, 14:11

Some of these lease deals can prove exceptional value for money. For example you could get a top of the range Golf for less than £200 a month which over 2 years worked out at less than £6000, which may sound a lot but it's less than the car depreciated in real terms over the same period.