PDA

View Full Version : BBC pronouncing foreign names

Amaw2008
9th December 2016, 15:19
I was watching a news item about Italy the other day. I found it quite interesting up until the point when the reporter pronounced the name of "Beppe Greeeeello" in a ridiculously exaggerated way. Why do they do this? I stopped listening to the news content, and just had a desire to reach inside the t.v. set, grab the reporter and repeatedly nut him. I'm all for treating everyone with respect and courtesy, but I think that foreign names should be pronounced in a normal way according to the sound system of standard English. I suppose that I probably need to be sent on an "ethnic awareness course", somewhere in Islington or Hampstead.:Brick:

fred
9th December 2016, 16:17
"Beppe Greeeeello"??
No Youtube link etc to audio/video?
Needed as a minimum requirement for further comment!

grahamw48
9th December 2016, 18:22
I can hardly bear to watch or listen to the Beeb news broadcasts now, what with the bunch of weirdos with peculiar looks and accents they've assembled... along with the Beeb's lefty hand-wringing bias . Makes me bloody sick... and I'm forced to pay for it ! :mad:

Slip
9th December 2016, 21:56
Can't be any worse than the bloke that does the weather on the evening news here in Leicestershire.....

fred
10th December 2016, 01:26
I can hardly bear to watch or listen to the Beeb news broadcasts now, what with the bunch of weirdos with peculiar looks and accents they've assembled... along with the Beeb's lefty hand-wringing bias . Makes me bloody sick... and I'm forced to pay for it ! :mad:

So whats the story if you rip out your TV antenna and cable equipment?? Just TV,VCR and internet.. You still have to pay?

fred
10th December 2016, 01:40
Oh dear..I just Googled my own question..Its not looking good even without an actual telly in your house..Lap top/desktop or smartphone is covered by the TV licence..
How can that be legal?? Boggles the mind.

Michael Parnham
10th December 2016, 08:05
Can't be any worse than the bloke that does the weather on the evening news here in Leicestershire.....

I hate it when the weather person uses words like 'windier' instead of saying 'more wind':Erm:

grahamw48
10th December 2016, 09:05
... Has its lighter moments though. :biggrin:

Arthur Little
10th December 2016, 14:19
Hmm, :icon_rolleyes: ... time was, when vaetually OLL BBC radio and television newscasters spowk in ratha' plummy, paen lowf aeccents.

......................................... :anerikke: ... yet the *localised dialect of the Corporation's founder and first Director General - Lord John Reith - was about as broad Scots as *they come!

Strange! :biggrin:

Amaw2008
10th December 2016, 17:37
I haven't posted a link fred, for the reason that I'm using this as just one example of the phenomenon, it's almost standard practice these days. I'm not objecting to accents Arthur. The reporter sounded as if he came from somewhere near London, was just talking standard BBC English, and then instead of saying "Grillo" to rhyme with "pillow", exaggerated it to a ridiculous degree to the approval of the North London set and the annoyance of everyone else. Bring back Richard Baker and Alastair Burnet (who was Scottish).