PDA

View Full Version : Maligayang Pasko at Manigong Bagong Taon

Terpe
15th December 2016, 14:35
There'll be no roasted Cockerill or Turkey for us on Christmas Day this year.
I can get both. But nobody seems to enjoy traditional English Christmas fare.
My Yorkshire Puddings have been well received, but I'll not be cooking any of those either. Besides which, the type of flour is a key ingredient and I'm still
not certain which is best. Get the wrong one and the pudding will just not rise as it should.

Looks like this year it'll be our usual breakast of smoked salmon and scrambled eggs on a half-baguette. Too much trouble to find a decent brioche

Lunch will be Tuna Sashimi, baked cheese topped oysters, scallops in soy sauce and Miso and seaweed soup

Dinner will be a traditional Filipino Ham salad with large Bagiou tomatoes, lettuce, Japanese Cucumber, celery and coleslaw.

I do have some Colemans English Mustard for the ham. But which ham ?

Can anyone suggest a really good ham ?

I have an idea to buy a couple of different Hams plus a so-called Chinese Ham on the bone. Problem is that'll cost quite a lot and I doubt we could eat all that ham
over Christmas and new year.

A few weeks ago I noticed that Rustans in Cubao stocked Icelandic Cod fillets, sadly I didn't buy any and they haven't been available since.

One lesson I should've learned is to immediately buy anything I like when it becomes available and not wait. They rarely come again.

I'm still a member of S&R Shopping so might take a trip to their nearest store soon.

My home made pork-pies didn't really meet my expectation despite a number of attempts.
Bit like my home-cured bacon.

All in all, our Christmas fare won't all be typical but I'll be happy.
We found some really nice imported French red wines and we can easily get a very good selection of imported cheese, means our snacks can be yummy especially as there are some very good crackers here in Philippines.

It almost goes without saying I'll be getting some of those Quezo De Bola that are flooding the supermarkets at the moment.
I've got my eye on an imported ball of Edam.......but at considerable cost.

It's a personal opinion but I do miss the typical English Christmas both in atmosphere and in the seasonal foody delicacies. Maybe it's a case on being unable to find those childhood comforts. Foods and emotions

Let's see how this 2016 Christmas goes.

Seasonal greetings to all

jonnijon
15th December 2016, 23:30
Make your own ham, I think Fred has the recipe. I tried Chinese ham last year yuck.:yikes:

SimonH
15th December 2016, 23:39
Bacon is really quite simple to make, I have better results with back rather than streaky.
Get yourself a loin of pork, maple syrup and salt.

Cover the loin with maple syrup and massage in, leave for 2 days turning and massaging again after the first day.

Pat dry and sprinkle with salt, just enough to give it a thin covering and rub in. Again leave for 2 days.

Rinse, dry and repeat with the salt.

Perfect bacon :smile:

fred
15th December 2016, 23:59
Besides which, the type of flour is a key ingredient and I'm still
not certain which is best. Get the wrong one and the pudding will just not rise as it should.

Ive tried everything..Not even sure now its the flour that prevents them from rising here..
My family sent me 5 KG`s of British plain white flour...The Yorkshires still didnt rise!!!
I almost give up!

fred
16th December 2016, 00:02
Make your own ham, I think Fred has the recipe. I tried Chinese ham last year yuck.:yikes:

Yeah..I only have about 3 days left before I get the lean pork in brine...Thanks for reminder!

Michael Parnham
16th December 2016, 00:23
There'll be no roasted Cockerill or Turkey for us on Christmas Day this year.
I can get both. But nobody seems to enjoy traditional English Christmas fare.
My Yorkshire Puddings have been well received, but I'll not be cooking any of those either. Besides which, the type of flour is a key ingredient and I'm still

Looks like this year it'll be our usual breakast of smoked salmon and scrambled eggs on a half-baguette. Too much trouble to find a decent brioche

Lunch will be Tuna Sashimi, baked cheese topped oysters, scallops in soy sauce and Miso and seaweed soup

Dinner will be a traditional Filipino Ham salad with large Bagiou tomatoes, lettuce, Japanese Cucumber, celery and coleslaw.

I do have some Colemans English Mustard for the ham. But which ham ?

Can anyone suggest a really good ham ?

I have an idea to buy a couple of different Hams plus a so-called Chinese Ham on the bone. Problem is that'll cost quite a lot and I doubt we could eat all that ham
over Christmas and new year.

A few weeks ago I noticed that Rustans in Cubao stocked Icelandic Cod fillets, sadly I didn't buy any and they haven't been available since.

One lesson I should've learned is to immediately buy anything I like when it becomes available and not wait. They rarely come again.

I'm still a member of S&R Shopping so might take a trip to their nearest store soon.

My home made pork-pies didn't really meet my expectation despite a number of attempts.
Bit like my home-cured bacon.

All in all, our Christmas fare won't all be typical but I'll be happy.
We found some really nice imported French red wines and we can easily get a very good selection of imported cheese, means our snacks can be yummy especially as there are some very good crackers here in Philippines.

It almost goes without saying I'll be getting some of those Quezo De Bola that are flooding the supermarkets at the moment.
I've got my eye on an imported ball of Edam.......but at considerable cost.

It's a personal opinion but I do miss the typical English Christmas both in atmosphere and in the seasonal foody delicacies. Maybe it's a case on being unable to find those childhood comforts. Foods and emotions

Let's see how this 2016 Christmas goes.

Seasonal greetings to all

Plain flour for Yorkshire pudding, I think it is called general flour in Philippines, always have Yorkshire pudding at least three times a week. Enjoy your Christmas Peter:xxgrinning--00xx3: