PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal delights Queso de Bola

Terpe
2nd January 2017, 10:07
This year we decided not to spend time and effort sourcing our traditional western Christmassy comfort foods.
Instead we followed the well trodden, and historical, path of a Noche Buena offering of 'local' delights starring Queso de Bola and Christmas Ham

To be honest I had never sampled either and went about some serious investigation as a route to discovering the very best-of-the-best.

I love cheese. All kinds.
Sadly the Philippines is not the easiest of places to find a selection of decent cheese, although it is possible some good ones.

I finally settled on buying a small red Queso de Bola called Marca Pato. It's imported from Holland. There's another one called Marca Pina but most folks said the Marca Pato has a better taste and is not so salty.

I'll try both next year just for comparison.

Well I have to say this Marca Pato was a true revelation. Wow, a hard crumbly Edam cheese ball wrapped in a red paraffin wax coat made specifically for the Philippine Market.
For me it has a great taste, texture and a really good sharpe 'bite'. In short I love it.
In fact I love it so much I bought 2 more balls so I can enjoy it for a while longer.
It's really a world apart from the softer 'fresher' Edam usually available in the UK

There's a long and interesting history behind the development and importation of this unique cheese going back over 100 years.

If you're fond of cheese I recommend you give this a try.
It's easily hard enough undergo some fine grating which would give more versatility for sandwiches, toppings and cooking.

Michael Parnham
2nd January 2017, 10:45
Love eggs cheese and milk, my favourite cheese is White Cheshire, yummy:xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
2nd January 2017, 11:45
Queso de bola is one of my family's regular staple during New Year. Also the hot chocolates made from cacao balls. http://www.batangas-philippines.com/tablea-tsokolate.html

Btw, what's the nearest thing to having the Philippines' Christmas ham here in the UK? I know gammon is nice but the ham that we have in the Philippines every Christmas is what I love to have again.

Slip
2nd January 2017, 11:46
Love cheese. But only really eat cheddar due to suffering migraines. Was told no cheese's at all, but every so often I find doesn't hurt.

mickcant
2nd January 2017, 11:49
As long as I have some Backed Bacon and a good Stilton cheese and Branston pickle with savoury biskets all is well with me.
Mick. :hubbahubba:

Terpe
2nd January 2017, 12:08
As long as I have some Backed Bacon and a good Stilton cheese and Branston pickle with savoury biskets all is well with me.
Mick. :hubbahubba:

I can get genuine Branstan Pickle at Rustans supermarket at Gateway Mall Cubao

Wonderful stuff IMHO
Perfect with my Queso de Bola

fred
2nd January 2017, 15:43
How many threads about cured meat do you want Terpe?:wink:

jonnijon
2nd January 2017, 22:47
Good Australian cheese here "Mega" is the brand, very tasty.