PDA

View Full Version : Server Failure - Wednesday

KeithD
16th March 2017, 09:04
Between 4-5am on Wednesday morning, the server had a major failure. Unlike past issues when MySQL stopped working, or a database was corrupted, this time, the main server software became corrupted and useless. I tried all morning to repair it, but in the end the only option was to completely rebuild the server from scratch.

This first meant backing everything up, which took 3 hours. Then resetting the server to default, and installing the OS and control panel. Another couple of hours. Once that was done, I then had to put all the backups back on, and then run them. This again took hours.

I reinstalled the forum first, but had to leave it running over night. So, I was happy to see it up and running this morning. :cwm3:

Now I have to reinstall the other 24 domains on this server :doh

stevewool
16th March 2017, 09:07
Thankyou Keith,
What would we all do with out you and the forum.

stevewool
16th March 2017, 09:12
As you have said, a server failer,
So as many have said it seems they have lost there comments on threads for a day or so, will they turn up or are they lost forever in time.

KeithD
16th March 2017, 09:24
Any missing posts are gone for good, as the backup run every 24hrs. I do have a later dump of the forum, and my hope was to use that so no posts vanished, but as I had to leave the reinstall running overnight, by the time I got up, people had already been posting. If I reinstall it now, the new posts will vanish!

stevewool
16th March 2017, 09:28
Thanks Keith for the quick reply, now can anyone remember what everyone has said these last few days.
I shall start doing all mine again:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Harry T
16th March 2017, 10:12
Between 4-5am on Wednesday morning, the server had a major failure. Unlike past issues when MySQL stopped working, or a database was corrupted, this time, the main server software became corrupted and useless. I tried all morning to repair it, but in the end the only option was to completely rebuild the server from scratch.

This first meant backing everything up, which took 3 hours. Then resetting the server to default, and installing the OS and control panel. Another couple of hours. Once that was done, I then had to put all the backups back on, and then run them. This again took hours.

I reinstalled the forum first, but had to leave it running over night. So, I was happy to see it up and running this morning. :cwm3:

Now I have to reinstall the other 24 domains on this server :doh

Thanks Keith, and well done, but Im sure you still managed to watch a few of the Festival races :biggrin:.

Trefor
16th March 2017, 10:43
Sorry to hear about this, what a PITA, your work is appreciated. Now Keith, did you know I work for VMware, it doesn't have to be this hard :-) ....

fred
16th March 2017, 10:56
Thanks Keith..Your a diamond geezer!!
Glad my posts were deleted..Ranted all night long!

SimonH
16th March 2017, 11:16

Me too, I got in such a mood that I gave everyone negative reps :biggrin:

Obviously not telling anyone it was me, I only do that when I give out positive ones :laugher:

stevewool
16th March 2017, 12:50
Me too, I got in such a mood that I gave everyone negative reps :biggrin:

Obviously not telling anyone it was me, I only do that when I give out positive ones :laugher:

IT WAS YOU THEN :yikes:

stevewool
16th March 2017, 12:52

Well last night I was offering free flights and accomadation and drinks and food to all who on line but somehow I got no replies, but now I know why.
Sorry the offer has gone too:action-smiley-081:

Trefor
16th March 2017, 18:12
Well last night I was offering free flights and accomadation and drinks and food to all who on line but somehow I got no replies, but now I know why.
Sorry the offer has gone too:action-smiley-081:

Careful, you know how these things can develop. One of us might have been offering their wife out by the end of the night...

stevewool
16th March 2017, 18:18
Careful, you know how these things can develop. One of us might have been offering their wife out by the end of the night...

I wonder who that may have been:yikes:

Arthur Little
17th March 2017, 02:51
Now is the first of me being able to access the forum since late on Tuesday night/[very]early Wednesday morning. Even yet ... :anerikke: ... whenever I press the word Forum, I'm taken to to a Website Default Page called 'Plesk' - which I kept getting throughout ALL of yesterday!

Michael Parnham
17th March 2017, 08:28
Now is the first of me being able to access the forum since late on Tuesday night/[very]early Wednesday morning. Even yet ... :anerikke: ... whenever I press the word Forum, I'm taken to to a Website Default Page called 'Plesk' - which I kept getting throughout ALL of yesterday!

Not to worry Arthur, good that you're back:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
17th March 2017, 19:14
Not to worry Arthur, good that you're back :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:68711_thanx: Yes, Michael :Jump: ... being a "self~confessed addict", I'm certainly very thankful! Indeed, so much so, I've given Keith some well~deserved rep for all the hours of hard graft he's put in on members' behalf!

Michael Parnham
18th March 2017, 07:51
:68711_thanx: Yes, Michael :Jump: ... being a "self~confessed addict", I'm certainly very thankful! Indeed, so much so, I've given Keith some well~deserved rep for all the hours of hard graft he's put in on members' behalf!
We never hear a lot from Keith because he's mainly busy behind the scenes keeping the Forum afloat, He is the real star of the Forum and I'm sure the well deserved rep is appreciated so another one from me also:xxgrinning--00xx3: