PDA

View Full Version : Is poor NHS hygiene responsible for Jasmines death

ginapeterb
4th January 2008, 14:51
Sun newspaper today carries story of poor Jasmine Pickett's tragic death whilst in a Hampshire hospital on 21st December, Jasmine was not alone another Mother who just gave birth also died of similar symptoms.

Scientists are trying to determine whether poor hygiene was the cause, Sun quotes one scientist as saying " most likely a staff member was sick at work with a sore throat and passed a virus on to the mothers to be.

For me, I am still shocked to see the name Jasmine Pickett in a national newspaper in these circumstances.

I hope our friend and forum member David is ok, my heart goes out to him and Jasmine's family.

HHS hygiene problems again ?

kimmi
4th January 2008, 15:04
Kuya Peter,

I hope that Dave's Jasmine is not the same Jasmine that was shown on the news..

My condolences again Dave..

eula mackay
4th January 2008, 15:45
which news program do you think it was kimmi?

joebloggs
4th January 2008, 16:53
i think there is an investigation into the 2 sad deaths and maybe there will be answers , so risks can be reduced,,

its easy to blame 'dirty' hospitals for everything, but a caesarean birth involves major abdominal surgery, also greater risk of wound or uterine infection, haemorrhage and blood clots, a vaginal birth is overall four times safer for a woman than having a caesarean.

also how can anyone say it came from a staff member and not from another mother or a visitor, Unfortunately i've had to visit hospital many times in the last few years, and many members of the public visiting sick relatives don't bother to wash their hands before or after visiting, even thou there are signs everywhere...

and i'm really sorry for david thou :cwm24:

KeithD
4th January 2008, 17:56
You are 2.5 X more likely to die from a caesarean than a natural birth. Of those poor souls that do pass away, the biggest culprit is thromboembolism (blood clots), next one is hemorrhaging and then bowl perforation. Very few are reported to be because of bad care or hygiene.

ginapeterb
4th January 2008, 18:23
Sister Kimmi, I beleive it is the Jasmine that is in the news, I am afraid the Daily Mail carried this story today as a front page, the headline.

"They both gave birth on the same day, 72 hours they were dead"

Amy Kimmance and Jasmine Pickett, were both mothers who gave birth in the same hospital, under similar circumstances, I would imagine its also been on the news channels as well, since it was a front page story with the mail.

There is also a nice wedding photo of David and Jasmine in Leyte where they got married, again, as what all of you have said, i am really feeling down about this, and we have not heard from David, but I am sure in due course we will in one form or another.

KeithD
4th January 2008, 19:44
I think it's just sad that the media make money from other people's grief, and try and sensationalize a subject that is more than likely not factually correct.

andypaul
4th January 2008, 20:29
Sister Kimmi, I beleive it is the Jasmine that is in the news, I am afraid the Daily Mail carried this story today as a front page, the headline.

"They both gave birth on the same day, 72 hours they were dead"

Amy Kimmance and Jasmine Pickett, were both mothers who gave birth in the same hospital, under similar circumstances, I would imagine its also been on the news channels as well, since it was a front page story with the mail.

There is also a nice wedding photo of David and Jasmine in Leyte where they got married, again, as what all of you have said, i am really feeling down about this, and we have not heard from David, but I am sure in due course we will in one form or another.

The beautiful picture of David and Jasmine and an article was in the Metro today.

LadyJ
5th January 2008, 11:51
Peter and Andy,

Can you please post the link to that news?

eula mackay
5th January 2008, 12:42
for those of you who wants to read the articles:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7170464.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7172227.stm

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article653939.ece

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=82458&in_page_id=34&in_a_source=

kimmi
5th January 2008, 12:51
thanks for the link Eula..

I am really saddened with this story..I hope and pray that our Dear Lord give him all the strength he need to overcome this..

God bless David, and eternal repose for the soul of Jasmine..

LadyJ
5th January 2008, 12:55
Thanks for the link Eula.

KeithD
5th January 2008, 13:13
I notice they eventually mention that they have no medical evidence :doh, which means the story is guesswork, and based on what poor David said, you do not have an asthma like attack, and pass away, with the kind of infection they mention.

Ann07
5th January 2008, 15:35
My husband read that news first in The Sun newspaper . I told him its in the forum and he is so sorry for the mothers and families. Now he is more worried of me coz im on my 31st week of pregnancy. Its terrible that things like this happened.

Alan
5th January 2008, 16:27
"Jasmine has been the kind of wife and partner that most men could only dream of."

What a lovely thing to say David - and I'm SURE it is 100% true.

I continue to pray for you, your baby and, of course, dear Jasmine.

Al.

ginapeterb
5th January 2008, 18:01
Personally, I have to agree with you all, but more so, Alan's comment, about "jasmine being the kind of wife and partner that most men could only dream of "

How many of us identify with that, and our Filipino Partners, once again, the lady of the Philippines brings praise and is a fantastic ambassador for her country, even on Wowowee last week, TFC Willie Revillame said in public 'THE FILIPINO WIFE IS THE BEST IN THE WORLD

David's statement in national press shows his commitment to Jasmine, and I am sure that we all identify with what he said.

kimmi
6th January 2008, 14:01
and it makes me feel proud to be a filipina...:)

joebloggs
9th January 2008, 14:48
inquest into a death of a filipina mother, Swindon and Marlborough NHS Trust has admitted liability for the mistake :NoNo: :cwm24:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=82739&in_page_id=34

:cwm24:

ginapeterb
9th January 2008, 17:23
Another embarrassing story for all of us, how does it read "Come to UK and work in our NHS service, have your baby there, get killed off by a negligent employee, then after you have buried your wife, get deported for the privilidge"

STANDARD BRITAIN SUCKS!!!

vrn
9th January 2008, 19:24
I just read the issue concerning the death of Arnel Cabrera's wife... I wonder why these hospitals employ inefficient staffs. Arnel was denied on the real reason of his wife's death for a year, and now that he has finally found the answer, the home office wants to deport him to the Philippines...:furious3:

joebloggs
9th January 2008, 19:28
the inquest is still going on, but my misses cannot understand how that mistake could have been made :NoNo: maybe the inquest will find out...

as for deporting him, i suppose thats to do with immigration, but the article doesn't mention how long they had been in the uk, but as their son was born in may 2004, so nearly 4 years at a minimum, i would have thought there was enough grounds for granting them ILR for compassionate reasons.

KeithD
9th January 2008, 20:33
One thing most non-medical folk miss is that epidurals are extremely dangerous, even though the public think they are 'routine' they can kill & maim, regardless of whether it is human error (which happens), a reaction to the medication, or damage to the spinal column. People are warned before they get them they could die in rare & extreme cases, but that means it does happen.

Anaesthetic kills people every month, including kids at the dentist, it is on the consent form people sign.

We've just dragged a terminally ill Nigerian (I think) woman out of a hospital and deported her (or going to)......what happened to common sense?

andypaul
9th January 2008, 20:36
inquest into a death of a filipina mother, Swindon and Marlborough NHS Trust has admitted liability for the mistake :NoNo: :cwm24:

Was the headline yesterday, sadly many people are being either made very ill or dieing from infections caught in the hospitals many dont make the media, i know of several very sad cases just from people in my circle of friends of realtives going to hospital and never leaving. May they all rest in peace .

andypaul
9th January 2008, 20:57
One thing most non-medical folk miss is that epidurals are extremely dangerous, even though the public think they are 'routine' they can kill & maim, regardless of whether it is human error (which happens), a reaction to the medication, or damage to the spinal column. People are warned before they get them they could die in rare & extreme cases, but that means it does happen.

Anaesthetic kills people every month, including kids at the dentist, it is on the consent form people sign.

We've just dragged a terminally ill Nigerian (I think) woman out of a hospital and deported her (or going to)......what happened to common sense?

I agree with the medical part from the little i know on the subject the NHS is so good at its Job most of the time when it mucks up we get outraged.

Many of us have had to wait or had bad occasions with the NHS but i have had far more times where I was amazed at the service.

The Wife had to be rushed into hospital due to a problem where she couldn't stop throwing up and was badly dehydrated once she was more lucid she was worrying about the cost and how would we pay. The first batch of drugs had not worked so they used a second set which cost far more. The NHS used several devices to check the blood, heart rate and even a urine, blood and other tests were taken.
She needed to drip bags to help rehydrate her she required medcines they were handed to her and a prescription for more at a hugely discounted price. When we left we only had to stop to wait for a taxi and not go to the counter as the wife was used to.

Sadly peope lose their lives, but the NHS what ever the polticians try to do saves and makes millions of peoples lifes far better.

LadyJ
9th January 2008, 21:23
A husband told how his wife died moments after giving birth because an epidural was wrongly put in her arm instead of her back

The staff who responsible for this is totally stupid!:cwm23::NoNo: Everyone knows that Epidural goes on the patients back!

Swindon and Marlborough NHS Trust has admitted liability for the mistake but no one has been prosecuted

This is unfair!!

joebloggs
9th January 2008, 22:35
doctors and nurses are just the same as us, their human, and people make mistakes for whatever reasons, who hasn't made a mistake at work, written a wrong figure down, sent somethnig to the wrong address, at least our mistakes don't cost lifes :NoNo: and we don't have to live with the guilt, sure this shouldn't have happened, and maybe something can be done to prevent it ever happening again.

most of you know, i've been to hospital too many times in the last few years, most doctors and nurses do an excellent job, sure there are a few bad ones, i've only meet one nurse that really :censored: me off. docs and nurses do an amazing job, in stressful situations that you could never imagine, your life is in their hands, and they have to make life and death decisions, they cannot save everyone, even thou they try their best, so :xxgrinning--00xx3: to them, and :cwm24: sorry for those that didn't make it...

joebloggs
9th January 2008, 22:59

yes common sense, sure she should not have been deported ,,,
but i'm reading each day more posts of peope who take the :censored: and break the law but still get a visa..

1) a girl on a visitor visa from malaysia, committed fraud, she served 1 yr in prison, and a few years later has a british boyfriend, they get married, spouse visa is refused, and she wins an appeal :Cuckoo:, you commit a crime that gets you 1yr in prison and then your allowed back by some judge :furious3:, whats the point of all the questions on the visa form if you can appeal and win ??

2) the fake uni's, what a laugh, funny thing is thou, where are these students :Erm:, what are they doing :Erm:, you only need to go on a certain 'uni's' website, and type in a random student number, i couldn't find one that had a british or european name :NoNo:

3) maybe i've noticed another 'scam', hey i might be wrong, i've noticed more and more indians who have married old eastern block women, and are in the uk on a workpermit, and most are asking about the spouse visa and any job restrictions :Erm:,, i thought most indians stuck to the caste system, maybe its just my :Cuckoo: mind..

lots of more cases i can mention and scams going on scouser keith, and sure many who should have been deported, have not been, many have been able to come back to the uk on a spouse visa after overstaying for years or committed a crime, and some times they send people back who they shouldn't have.. just :censored: me off, when i read about other people who have done no wrong getting refused a visa for whatever reason.. :NoNo:

i found this article about a filipino being deported for breaking an asbo :yikes:, not sure if its been covered on here before.. :Erm:

but why are they deporting some but not others ???

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2008/01/07/deportation-today-for-20-year-old-tearaway-55578-20319025/

Mrs.JMajor
12th January 2008, 14:50
hi pete,
sad to say i was thinking the same thing,could be poor hygiene...u bet ! but i thought its just happen in manila :nono: as i know other country as the cleaniest among the clean..been thinking of it for alomst 2 days and why that happen (till i keep learning here on the forum and i saw your post and booom i catch you,i was a bit right of my idea...tsskkk poor thing :bigcry:

regards,
juliet

Mrs.JMajor
12th January 2008, 14:57
thanks eula (hugs)

LadyJ
5th February 2008, 15:57

Todays breaking news!

Mum Unlawfully Killed By NHS Blunder
Updated:14:45, Tuesday February 05, 2008

A mum who died following a hospital blunder shortly after giving birth was unlawfully killed, an inquest jury has ruled.
Mayra Cabrera, 30, began to fit soon after a bag of Bupivacaine - a potent anaesthetic - was wrongly fed into a vein in her hand via an intravenous drip.

Mayra and her son ZacIt should only be given in an epidural and administered to the patient's spinal cord, a month long inquest in Trowbridge heard.

Mrs Cabrera gave birth to son Zac, who survived, at the Great Western Hospital in Swindon at 8.14am in May 2004.

But by 9am - shortly after the error - she began to fit and was pronounced dead at 10.27am.

The jury said gross negligence by Swindon & Marlborough NHS Trust, specifically sub-standard storage of drugs in the maternity unit, had led to the death.

Mrs Cabrera, who lived in Swindon and worked at the GWH, died from a heart attack caused by Bupivacaine toxicity, her inquest heard.

But her husband, Arnel Cabrera, was told immediately afterwards that she had died from an amniotic fluid embolism, the inquest heard.

However, he learned a year later, after instructing a lawyer, that she had in fact died because Bupivacaine had been administered wrongly.

Midwife Marie To came on duty just after the birth and is alleged to have attached the Bupivacaine to Mrs Cabrera's drip.

During the inquest she repeatedly denied she had made the blunder which led to the Filipino theatre nurse's death.

She insisted she thought it was either saline solution or Gelofusine, a blood volume expander to boost blood pressure.

Swindon & Marlborough NHS Trust admitted liability but, following a police inquiry, the Crown Prosecution Service decided not to charge anyone.

The month-long hearing was told there had been two other deaths at hospitals in the UK in the last decade caused by Bupivacaine being administered intravenously.

KeithD
5th February 2008, 16:22
Human error. Happens everywhere.......that's why I was born :cwm24:

NASA do human errors in a spectacular way, and the majority of air crashes are human error along the line somewhere.

katie37pinayuk
5th February 2008, 16:38
in NHS, all kinds of infection control has been introduce, but not all staff are compliant

KeithD
5th February 2008, 16:56
Everyone has MRSA, it lives on our skin, along with billions of other bacteria. So lick yer finger and enjoy :D