PDA

View Full Version : 4 Months Jail For Breaking Smoking Ban In Philippines

Ako Si Jamie
19th May 2017, 23:42
Duterte means well but he does harbour a bull in a china shop mentality at times. It's just ridiculous sending a person to jail for smoking a cigarette on the sidewalk. :NoNo:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/18/world/asia/rodrigo-duterte-smoking-ban-philippines.html?_r=0

Tawi2
20th May 2017, 05:41
I wonder if he would have a western tourist imprisoned for such an act :Erm: Welcome back Jamie,where you been,anywhere nice :smile:

Ako Si Jamie
20th May 2017, 09:08
Cheers, Tawi. I haven't been anywhere lately although I was planning to go to the Phils earlier in the year but due to a few issues cropping up I decided against it. Looks like it will be autumn time now.

Arthur Little
20th May 2017, 13:13
Cheers, Tawi. I haven't been anywhere lately although I was planning to go to the Phils earlier in the year but due to a few issues cropping up I decided against it. Looks like it will be autumn time now.

So ... it wasn't you who'd been "banged up" for :Smokin: on the sidewalk in Davao after all then, Jamie. :biggrin: And here was me thinking that might've explained your recent absence! :wink:

Arthur Little
20th May 2017, 13:27
Anyway ... :anerikke: ... my friend :welcomex: back; it's really nice to have you posting again! :smile:

Ako Si Jamie
20th May 2017, 14:27
Thanks, Arthur. The only time I bent the rules was when I had a sneaky cig on an empty footbridge in Dumaguete some years ago. The city had enforced a ban at that time, although to anyone who contravened it, a fine was imposed and not a daft jail sentence.

jonnijon
20th May 2017, 22:52
Duterte means well but he does harbour a bull in a china shop mentality at times. It's just ridiculous sending a person to jail for smoking a cigarette on the sidewalk. :NoNo:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/18/world/asia/rodrigo-duterte-smoking-ban-philippines.html?_r=0

27 pesos for a pack of fags? I wish.

Ako Si Jamie
20th May 2017, 23:53
27 pesos for a pack of fags? I wish.

Yup. Marlboro's were around 60 peso's last time I was over although I did buy a cheap brand for a disabled Pinoy in Subic Bay for around 30php. Perhaps that's what they're referring to.

A packet of Marlboro's in the UK costs around a tenner nowadays too!