PDA

View Full Version : Had Its Day!

Arthur Little
13th June 2017, 19:12
Sadly, :bigcry: ... my trusty old desktop computer appears to've "hit the skids" since a week past Sunday.

:yeahthat:'s after fully 9 years of faithful service! Yes, I bought it during the summer of 2008 - while I was still corresponding with Myrna - before I'd even heard of this site, would you believe!?! So it doesn't really owe me anything. :NoNo:

Hence the reason I've been rather conspicuous by my absence lately. Although, I have been able to pop in occasionally, courtesy of Myrna's laptop - for which I'm grateful.

stevewool
13th June 2017, 20:03
So are you going to buy another desk top or going for the tablet?

Arthur Little
13th June 2017, 22:41
So are you going to buy another desk top or going for the tablet?

Tbh ... :anerikke: ... I'm not altogether sure, having become accustomed to a desktop ever since teaching myself (more by trial and error) how to use a computer at all, and using a laptop's a bit like a driver getting used to the "feel" of a different make of car, I guess. Won't be a tablet, though. But there again, :icon_rolleyes: price is a BIG consideration.

stevewool
14th June 2017, 06:31
Tbh ... :anerikke: ... I'm not altogether sure, having become accustomed to a desktop ever since teaching myself (more by trial and error) how to use a computer at all, and using a laptop's a bit like a driver getting used to the "feel" of a different make of car, I guess. Won't be a tablet, though. But there again, :icon_rolleyes: price is a BIG consideration.

Plus if you get a tablet or laptop you can move around the house and even in the garden too.

Ako Si Jamie
14th June 2017, 13:34
You'd be better off sticking to a desktop, Arthur, I think. At least you'll have a larger screen. When I changed from my laptop I bought a desktop with a large screen. Covers about 80% of the width of my desk. :icon_lol:

Had 3 desktops and 1 laptop in 20 years. I still have the laptop which I bought around 2005 but it's all clogged up and runs slow and I haven't used it much since I bought this one in 2014.

bigmarco
15th June 2017, 14:12
9 years is pretty good going Arthur. Good luck with your next choice :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
18th June 2017, 16:14
2008 ?

Blimey, that's pretty new Arthur... compared with my 2002 model (in use now), which I bought for 10 quid to replace my 2003 one. :icon_lol:

What's up with it mate ?

It might have plenty of life left in it, with a bit of fettling. :Erm:

I have just fixed a laptop that my son's g/f had been using as a doorstop for 2 years :biggrin:... and I'm no expert. :olddude:

Slip
18th June 2017, 17:20
My laptop is in the bedroom, it's connected to my old desktop hd monitor. That way I can browse on the laptop screen, but watch movies, TV shows or sport on the other screen at the same time. I don't move it from the bedroom as it needs charging all the time. So I use my tablet as my main source of browsing the net at home. Medium usage of it the battery normally lasts me 48 hours before I charge it.
Then off course the mobile phone for when I'm out and about.

Arthur Little
21st July 2017, 13:40
Finally I decided to invest in another desktop ... a Dell 'Vostro 3900, Windows 7 Professional'. It cost "only" £329.97 from TESCO online for the package and all's well, :cwm25: ... except for the fact that, when logging into my facebook account, I'm unable to locate my Friends List :Rasp: on it.

:Help1: ... anyone?

bigmarco
21st July 2017, 14:37
Home page underneath your name Arthur

Timeline About Friends Photos More.