http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-42752388

Arthur Little
22nd January 2018, 00:46
And rightly so.

Certainly makes sense ... :iagree:!

Longweekend
22nd January 2018, 15:54
I can fully understand the reason why they have done this but there are thousands of good employers in Q8 and this action makes everyone suffer, hopefully they can sort it out soon....

Arthur Little
22nd January 2018, 17:00
I can fully understand the reason why they have done this but there are thousands of good employers in Q8 and this action makes everyone suffer, hopefully they can sort it out soon....

ANY case of sexual abuse is one too many in an oil~rich Gulf State whose Stone Age Laws permit its own womenfolk to be treated as little more than chattels. :cwm23: Oh, I daresay there are decent employers in Kuwait ... :anerikke: ... just like like everywhere else. But, as I interpret the link Jamie's provided, the incidents reported would seem to be only "the tip of an extremely slippery iceberg". So WHY take the risk?

Hence Duterte's action. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
22nd January 2018, 18:52
My aunt, uncles and cousins work in Kuwait, not domestic helpers though. But my aunt said a lot of Filipinos are complaining about this so-called ban, especially those who have good employers and are already working for years for them. Apparently, this is just for domestic helpers. Plenty of Filipinos on vacation are not allowed by the government to travel back to their employers. My aunt said a lot of the Filipinas she know are now having 2nd thoughts of returning home because of this ban. She said that they don't mind having a ban for the new OFWs coming there to Kuwait but for those who have been working there for years, it becomes a problem and loss of income for them.

Tawi2
22nd January 2018, 19:39
Wasn't it not so long ago he was saying he didn't want any Pinoys working anywhere abroad as he was going to create jobs for them in Pinas? That is a pipe dream and totally unworkable in his lifetime.

Tawi2
22nd January 2018, 22:35
The PI survives on remittances, its many families chance at a better life if one or more go abroad to work. Pinas has low wages and limited opportunities, Duterte is meddling with peoples livelihoods.

President Rodrigo Duterte has expressed his desire of ending the cycle of Filipinos leaving the country to work abroad, saying it should no longer be a necessity in the years to come.

Speaking before the Filipino community in Tokyo, Japan Tuesday (Oct. 24), Duterte reiterated his vow to improve the Philippine economy so Filipinos could enjoy a better life.

“Ang pagtatrabaho niyo sa ibang bansa, hanggang diyan na lang. Next generation, Pilipinas na,” he said, earning applause from the audience.

“We have to improve the economy na hindi ka na babalik dito, na kung bumalik ka rito, baka-bakasyon na lang,” he added.

Before leaving for Tokyo earlier in the day, Duterte said he plans to tell Japanese investors that the Philippines is open for business.

Arthur Little
23rd January 2018, 19:14
Wasn't it not so long ago he was saying he didn't want any Pinoys working anywhere abroad as he was going to create jobs for them in Pinas? That is a pipe dream and totally unworkable in his lifetime.

..................................................... O' ye of little faith, :poke: ... just "kuwait" 'n' see!

Tawi2
23rd January 2018, 22:37
..................................................... O' ye of little faith, :poke: ... just "kuwait" 'n' see!

I am a realist :wink:

Michael Parnham
25th January 2018, 08:33
And rightly so.

At last, positive move! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
26th January 2018, 02:11
I am a realist :wink:

Oh aye? :icon_rolleyes: ... then can I ask what you make of India's pledge to invest $11/4 billion in an arms & warships deal with Manila - which could, in turn, generate 105,000 jobs for the Philippines:

http://manilastandard.net/news/top-stories/257185/india-vows-to-kick-in-1b-ph-to-buy-arms-warships.html ...:ReadIt:

Tawi2
26th January 2018, 07:33
Oh aye? :icon_rolleyes: ... then can I ask what you make of India's pledge to invest $11/4 billion in an arms & warships deal with Manila - which could, in turn, generate 105,000 jobs for the Philippines:

http://manilastandard.net/news/top-stories/257185/india-vows-to-kick-in-1b-ph-to-buy-arms-warships.html ...:ReadIt:

I am not making anything of it Arthur,its 6.30am and I am going out for a run,i have better things to do at this time of the morning than read "Could Generate" links :biggrin: just saying duterte harrys pledge to end OFW's is airy fairy pie in the sky :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
12th April 2018, 13:26
www.thestandard.com.ph/news/pinoy-abroad/259129/ofws-in-kuwait-ready-to-take-another-chance.html

:reaction: ... things can ONLY get worse, :doh!