PDA

View Full Version : Lettuce

Gavanddal
31st January 2008, 08:01
My wife says that you can't get lettuce in the Philippines. Bearing in mind that it's usually grown in greenhouses in the UK you'd think it would thrive in a hot country.
Does anyone know if lettuce can be grown out there and any other salad crops for that matter.

thanks

baboyako
31st January 2008, 10:16
lettuce is available in SM davao. including two cultivars for swanky salads.

I'd imagine they are grown above 2000feet under plastic - they have a big market garden in eden resort..

joebloggs
31st January 2008, 11:33
never mind lettuce :D

what about vegetarian food :yikes: :icon_lol::Rasp:

aromulus
31st January 2008, 11:45
never mind lettuce :D

what about vegetarian food :yikes: :icon_lol::Rasp:

I absolutely adore something vegetarian, in pieces.... medium rare....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

mhynne
31st January 2008, 12:37
lettuce is definitely available in the philippines.. but it might be that you cant get it from wet markets.. but if you shop in grocery shops like SM and the likes.. their supermarkets have lettuce there.. they are actually grown n Baguio where its cold and delivered to manila...

KeithD
31st January 2008, 12:55
Easting sheep is vegetarian, they are just converted grass!

kimmi
31st January 2008, 13:44
Lettuce is available in any supermarkets in the Philippines, I can assure u because we love eating that..especially in salad..just ask ur wife to come to any supermarket there and she can see a lot of lettuce there..

Alan
31st January 2008, 14:50
Plenty of lettuce in wet market in Dumaguete.

Al.:)

P.S. Did I mention my eagle last week?

Mrs.JMajor
31st January 2008, 15:10
My wife says that you can't get lettuce in the Philippines. Bearing in mind that it's usually grown in greenhouses in the UK you'd think it would thrive in a hot country.
Does anyone know if lettuce can be grown out there and any other salad crops for that matter.

thanks

:Erm::Erm: i wonder where ur wife staying here in phil...and she said "dont have lettuce here in pi ?? ":Erm::Erm::doh

gemini63
31st January 2008, 15:17
hi there,
im 100 percent sure we can grow lettuce in phil..coz we hv lots in our farm.i came from davao and i hv a farm 80 miles from downtown area which the climate is same as baguio in manila.we hv loads in there and so cheap,even lots are sold along the way going to cagayan via bukidnon.the price just usually 10 pesos per kilo sometimes 5 pesos only..we even hv brocolli and cauliflower grown in there...

aromulus
31st January 2008, 17:45
we even hv brocolli and cauliflower grown in there...

Joe's kind of girl............:D

Gavanddal
31st January 2008, 23:22
:Erm::Erm: i wonder where ur wife staying here in phil...and she said "dont have lettuce here in pi ?? ":Erm::Erm::doh

She's from Leyte. I'm sure you can get it in a big city like Cebu or Manila but she's sure it's not found in her province.
More to the point, can we grow it at our house there?

gemini63
1st February 2008, 00:14
hi,
if ur place hv a cool climate...i may say yes u can...i dont think it can in warm places...what i know it can on highlands

empott
1st February 2008, 03:55
There r a few varieties of lettuce here, and i can even find it in our wet market. I haven't seen a package of mesclun green tho. Maybe they r available in supermarkets.

adamsky11
1st February 2008, 12:04
hey
May i suggest perhaps we can take pictures of the different lettuce varieties
available in the Philippines.......................:-)
i will endeavour to visit as many hot spots as i can :-)
adam p

aromulus
1st February 2008, 12:07
Shopping in Ayala and Sm in Cebu, i was kind of surprised by the sorry sights that they call lettuce...:NoNo:

Even starving rabbits would have left the limp and bug ridden leaves to decompose peacefully....:omg:

Mrs.JMajor
1st February 2008, 12:55
hmmm sm cebu? :Erm:

aromulus
1st February 2008, 13:52
hmmm sm cebu? :Erm:

Yup....

Quite big too....

Maybe you blinked for too long and missed it...???:NoNo:

Around the reclamation area...?

Near a Big empty building that was intented to be a hotel, but never opened...???

I know it is there, because I used to stop at BO's coffee place quite regularly...:xxgrinning--00xx3: For my intravenuous shot of caffeine...

vrn
1st February 2008, 21:03
.....we plant lettuce in the highland, particularly in Benguet, its one of the main source of veggies back home.

charlwill
1st February 2008, 21:11
for sure they have lettuce in leyte coz we even have it in my city, in bacolod.

Pepe n Pilar
2nd February 2008, 02:22
Different varieties of lettuce are available in big supermarkets like SM, Rustan's and Shopwise. They are quite expensive that's why they are not sold in small groceries and wet markets.

To Rom, yes i have noticed that too but i don't hesistate to call the attention of the salesperson assigned to get me a new stock. They sometimes leave the "not so nice quality" because some buyers prefer the cheaper ones but then again they replace it once new stocks are delivered.

KeithD
2nd February 2008, 10:46
Why do we have a long thread on LETTUCE!!!!?? :Brick:

andypaul
2nd February 2008, 13:08

So you not going to join in taking pictures of lettuce:Erm:

kimmi
2nd February 2008, 13:34

oh sorry boss, i guess its because we have different definitions of lettuce???:Erm::Erm::Rasp::Rasp:

So you not going to join in taking pictures of lettuce:Erm:

oh no andy pls dont ask boss to pose beside a lettuce...pls pls..:NoNo::NoNo::doh:icon_lol::icon_lol:

he will be a lettuce king...:Help1:

adamsky11
2nd February 2008, 18:06
washing lettuce is such a chore !! no matter the shape or size, Kos we don't want any tiny bugs in it do we !!!
any one got any pics yet !! :-)

walesrob
2nd February 2008, 18:10
oh no andy pls dont ask boss to pose beside a lettuce...pls pls.

Yeah we might get confused innit.

aromulus
2nd February 2008, 18:19

Why not......???:Erm:

We had one on Balut...

Wet pussy....

Etc...

Besides, Joe the manc will be happy Kos we are discussing a subject close to his stomach....:icon_lol:

vbkelly
2nd February 2008, 19:57
She's from Leyte. I'm sure you can get it in a big city like Cebu or Manila but she's sure it's not found in her province.
More to the point, can we grow it at our house there?

maybe she don't know what lettuce is

adamsky11
3rd February 2008, 14:27
for all you lettuce lovers ...........http://pinchmysalt.com/2007/10/01/a-recipe-for-keeping-lettuce-fresh-and-crisp/

Mrs.JMajor
3rd February 2008, 14:30

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: :Cuckoo:

KeithD
3rd February 2008, 14:31
So the Titanic sunk because the lookout got confused with the Iceberg and shouted 'Lettuce dead ahead' :Erm:

aromulus
3rd February 2008, 16:30

With your own last post, You just carried it over to page two.....:omg:

KeithD
3rd February 2008, 17:10
With your own last post, You just carried it over to page two.....:omg:

Damn my alter ego :rolleyes:

Pepe n Pilar
4th February 2008, 15:44
I didn't know "lettuce" is bringing so much importance that Mr. Keith has to start another page:omg::omg:

KeithD
4th February 2008, 18:12
Letus prey....

baboyako
4th February 2008, 20:51
Knock Knock who's there? Lettuce... Lettuce who? Lettuce in and we'll tell you!
:BouncyHappy:

Mrs.JMajor
5th February 2008, 02:25
dont tell me this lettuce issue will beat daveuk story :cwm3:

Pepe n Pilar
5th February 2008, 05:37
Yeah i guess so jedc143 i was browsing the threads and reading a somewhat interesting article and lettuce just popped in:omg::omg::cwm12::cwm12:

Alan
5th February 2008, 06:02
So the Titanic sunk because the lookout got confused with the Iceberg and shouted 'Lettuce dead ahead' :Erm:

,,,,,,,and pretty soon afterwards most of them were.

Al.:)

RHB
5th February 2008, 10:37
now I get it...

Mrs.JMajor
5th February 2008, 10:55
Yeah i guess so jedc143 i was browsing the threads and reading a somewhat interesting article and lettuce just popped in:omg::omg::cwm12::cwm12:

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

ervenescence
5th February 2008, 21:15
Lettuce

how do u say it?

Letes or Letos?

tomm
5th February 2008, 23:59

Q: What kind of coffee and what kind of lettuce was served on the Titanic?
A: Sanka and iceberg.

:doh

tomm
6th February 2008, 00:03
A man goes to the Doctor with a piece of lettuce hanging out of his ear. "That looks nasty," says the doctor. "Nasty?!?" replies the man, "this is just the tip of the iceberg." :doh

ponyang
6th February 2008, 00:33
my husband misunderstood me and his not paying attention to what i was saying or maybe i said it in a wrong way ... what i was trying to say is that i think it's not possible to grow lettuce in leyte because of the climate... i'm not quite sure coz i tried it once but didn't work and...also, i used to live in a small town so normally what they sell in the sari sari store are local crops. In my opinion, lettuce is only ideal if you planted it in a cool place..So, people if you know lettuce grow in visayas area then you can tell me.. i know we can get them from the supermarket but if you live in the middle of nowhere its hard to get one..but i know they have ceasar salad at KFC...btw, i know what lettuce is if not i wouldn't bother mentioning that to my husband...but what i dont know is what they called it in tagalog or bisaya...

ponyang
6th February 2008, 00:38
ohhh myyyy gosshhh...why not do a thread for beans, carrots, cauliflower, brocilie, youngcorn ...or the famous philippines mangoes..i think that's more interesting than the bloody lettuce....

adamsky11
6th February 2008, 02:03
lettuce get straight to the point here.........lettuce will grow and develop if nurtured properly, we all know how disappointing it is to get a warm lettuce so a cool place is best, All supermarkets should offer a lettuce and i think we should demand that they do. please forward your pictures of limp lettuce to me and i will make sure that the relevant authorities are notified. if this is just the tip of the iceberg then we need to get to the root of the problem......cos i know this issue needs to be dressed, :-)

Pepe n Pilar
6th February 2008, 08:56
Hi Ponyang, i guess you can start a thread about vegetables and what are their uses or advantages....:) And what makes this forum interesting, speaking of lettuce anytime....:icon_lol::icon_lol::BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy:

ponyang
6th February 2008, 11:14
Hi Ponyang, i guess you can start a thread about vegetables and what are their uses or advantages....:) And what makes this forum interesting, speaking of lettuce anytime....:icon_lol::icon_lol::BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy:

lol!!!! why not ask my husband?? he started it... and besides people keeps missing the point...