PDA

View Full Version : British citizenship when to apply

chippy
9th March 2008, 14:26
Hi folks

my wife got her residence visa in january this year so when can she apply for british citizenship and how long does it take and cost ?
also my wife gave birth while here in uk and gave me a wonderfull son who now has a british passport but we was reading on the filipino embassy site in london they also class my son as filipino as his mother was filipino so does this mean hes entitled to a filipino passport also ?

thanks

aromulus
9th March 2008, 14:53
Hi folks

my wife got her residence visa in january this year so when can she apply for british citizenship and how long does it take and cost ?
also my wife gave birth while here in uk and gave me a wonderfull son who now has a british passport but we was reading on the filipino embassy site in london they also class my son as filipino as his mother was filipino so does this mean hes entitled to a filipino passport also ?

thanks

Congrats dad and mum.....:Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo:

I guess that the baby is entiled to dual citizenship, but I am sure that the other guys will be able to confirm that better.

joebloggs
9th March 2008, 18:46
citizenship cost £655 at the mo, but my guess is that next april it will go to at least the same cost as ILR and probably more.

so it might be a good idea to apply for it asap.

as for how long it can take, from a month or so to 6 months or more... but there could be alot more people applying before april, incase there are some nasty :yikes: in store.

chippy
9th March 2008, 23:52
citizenship cost £655 at the mo, but my guess is that next april it will go to at least the same cost as ILR and probably more.

so it might be a good idea to apply for it asap.

as for how long it can take, from a month or so to 6 months or more... but there could be alot more people applying before april, incase there are some nasty :yikes: in store.
Thanks for the answer but dont my wife have to be here 3 years or more before applying ?

charlwill
9th March 2008, 23:58
Hi folks

thanks
Now that your wife is already a residence, she has to wait another more year before she can apply for her citizenship. Indeed, your son is a dual citizen. So, you can apply a passport for your son.

LadyJ
10th March 2008, 00:55
Hi folks

thanks

WHat you read on Philippine Embassy website was obviously correct. Report your sons birth on the Phil EMb before he turns 1 year old If not you will pay a late registration fee, i think £18.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
10th March 2008, 10:56
when you can apply for citizenship depends on how long your wife has been in the uk and what type of visa she came to the uk on.

but for most on here who came to the uk on a spouse visa, its 3 years. after 2 years in the uk on a spouse visa she should have got ILR, and 1 year after that then she can apply for citizenship.

ILR could be scrapped in the future, 60% of those who have ILR go on to apply for citizenship, the gov want the other 40% to decide. if they do this whats the point of ILR ? or only give you ILR for a set time period, who knows what their plans are. but there are 100,000s on ILR here.

walesrob
10th March 2008, 11:07
ILR could be scrapped in the future, 60% of those who have ILR go on to apply for citizenship, the gov want the other 40% to decide. if they do this whats the point of ILR ? or only give you ILR for a set time period, who knows what their plans are. but there are 100,000s on ILR here.

One reason: Money. What else?!! :NoNo:

joebloggs
10th March 2008, 11:41
not only money, but to drag the process out, get you to work for free in the community and what ever else the :censored: can come up with...

immigration process is suppose to be getting simpler, but more restrictions, visa's more expensive and with tests and no doubt longer to get citizenship ... i feel sorry for those who have to go thru the process now and in the future :cwm24:

alicat
10th March 2008, 11:43
immigration process is suppose to be getting simpler, but more restrictions, visa's more expensive and with tests and no doubt longer to get citizenship ... i feel sorry for those who have to go thru the process now and in the future :cwm24:[/QUOTE]

yah,i agree

walesrob
10th March 2008, 11:58
immigration process is suppose to be getting simpler, but more restrictions, visa's more expensive and with tests and no doubt longer to get citizenship ... i feel sorry for those who have to go thru the process now and in the future :cwm24:

Yeah I'll never get my visa to go to England :bigcry:

joebloggs
10th March 2008, 12:08
with all the media hype about the number of immigrants in the uk, the gov wants to look like its not got out of control, they can not control people from europe coming to the uk unless they go begging to brussels, the easy targets are the ones from outside europe.. :NoNo:, they're the ones who will suffer the most..

joebloggs
10th March 2008, 12:11

who knows rob, maybe one day you will need one :D, even better you will need one to settle in wales :xxgrinning--00xx3: scouser keith will be heading back up north to lillypud :Hellooo::BouncyHappy:

andypaul
10th March 2008, 20:04

Why would England want you:Erm:

You speak English, law abiding, like to help people and community minded Lets face it your got no chance:D

andypaul
10th March 2008, 20:07
when you can apply for citizenship depends on how long your wife has been in the uk and what type of visa she came to the uk on.

but for most on here who came to the uk on a spouse visa, its 3 years. after 2 years in the uk on a spouse visa she should have got ILR, and 1 year after that then she can apply for citizenship.

there was a thread on what the goverment are dreamimg up with a link to the green paper which Joe is sumarising worth having a skim though to get an idea of what might happen.

chippy
11th March 2008, 22:08
Thanks all i guess one more year then to go then my wife can apply then we can travel without the agro of getting visa for her just to have a holiday in the sun.
Yes my wife was on spouse visa so next january we go thru it all again with the paper work.

Please can someone tell me what it means at the bottom of the form for reporting his birth ?

thanks

LadyJ
11th March 2008, 22:11
Please can someone tell me what it means at the bottom of the form for reporting his birth ?

thanks

I didn't quite get that.. what form are you talking about?

chippy
11th March 2008, 22:18
I didn't quite get that.. what form are you talking about?

Here is the link LadyJ but i think it my just be for offical use

http://www.philembassy-uk.org/userfiles/file/rob3.pdf

LadyJ
11th March 2008, 22:27
Here is the link LadyJ but i think it my just be for offical use

http://www.philembassy-uk.org/userfiles/file/rob3.pdf

I think so:xxgrinning--00xx3: